Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: atdmt cookies

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

This thread has been marked as locked.
TerenceM atdmt cookies
Member 13th Jul, 2009 11:25
Ranking: 0
User Since: 20th Dec, 2008
System Score: 95%
Hi all @ PSI,

I am constantly getting a warning from the AVG Resident : found tracking cookie atdmt.com moved to virus vault.

The latest AVG scan found 5 entries for atdmt, SpyBot S&D found no threats, SpyWare Blaster reported no threats.MBAM also found no malicious software. I am using Hosts Manager and added www.atdmt.com and atdmt.com to it's file list and set Hosts Manager to autorun on start-up. Still AVG flashes me those warnings about this tracking cookie.
I have also tried to manually delete these cookies >tools>internet options>browsing options>settings>view files

I have tried but failed to rid my PC of this cookie,is there anything else I can do?

Thank you in advance,
kind regards,
TerenceM.

Maurice Joyce RE: atdmt cookies
Handling Contributor 13th Jul, 2009 12:01
Score: 11626
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 13th Jul, 2009 12:06
It is a harmless Microsoft cookie. If U want to opt out go here:

http://www.atdmt.com/CookieActions.aspx

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
eSKzHvZreJxktYLUd4jN1oy... RE: atdmt cookies
Member 14th Jul, 2009 13:23
Score: -1
User Since: 7th Dec 2009
You can actually get rid of most tracking cookies (a mild sort of spyware) by changing browser settings. Are you using the latest version of IE? I advice anyone using IE to go to:
Tools-->Internet Options-->Privacy-->Advanced
If needed, put a check at "Override automatic cookie handling".
Set Third-party Cookies to "Block".

You can always enable tracking cookies again if you need them, but I know no one who does. It's unfortunate that this option is not off by default.

Not all anti-spyware programs scan for tracking cookies/3. party cookies. Some have economic motives for not detecting them, others don't consider them serious enough to take care of. Personally, I prefer not to have them on my system, and I dislike the idea of not giving people a choice before putting tracking cookies on their systems. So I would get rid of them.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
eSKzHvZreJxktYLUd4jN1oy... RE: atdmt cookies
Member 14th Jul, 2009 13:30
Score: -1
User Since: 7th Dec 2009
Also, you can simply set your browser to automatically delete all cookies when you close your browser. I can give specific instructions if you tell me which browser you are using. Or if you need to keep certain cookies, a free program like IE Privacy Keeper might be helpful.
http://www.unhsolutions.net/IE-Privacy-Keeper/inde...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: atdmt cookies
Expert Contributor 14th Jul, 2009 14:04
Score: 2434
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
CCleaner will clean your browser cookies when set to do so & ->"Options"->"Cookies" allows you to keep 3rd party/tracking cookies you may need regularly/for "quicker" browsing .
For me ,I find that "banning" them in the browser can affect access to some sites (not so many ; strangely , I find more problems with Firefox than with Chrome). I dislike them & clean up with CC very regularly.

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: atdmt cookies
Expert Contributor 14th Jul, 2009 16:46
Score: 2434
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Forgot to mention that Adobe have their own version of a tracking cookie which your browser does not clean ; so you need to navigate thru' the bowels of the website to find/see/deal with them. CCleaner seems to be one of the few things ( as far as I know ) that cleans them out completely , if that is your desire - like mine.

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TerenceM RE: atdmt cookies
Member 14th Jul, 2009 19:14
Score: 0
User Since: 20th Dec 2008
System Score: 95%
Thanks HBR,
Followed your instruction to override automatic cookie handling and block 3rd party ones.

I am now using IE 8,tried Chrome and didn't like it so much,the same for Firefox.

As Maurice pointed out,after further research, Atdmt tracking cookies do not appear to be spyware of any kind. At least I know the AVG resident is working!

Thank you all for your input.

Case closed.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability