Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Google Chrome 2.0.172.33

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Google
And, this specific program:
Google Chrome 2.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
VJ Google Chrome 2.0.172.33
Member 16th Jul, 2009 11:34
Ranking: 3
User Since: 20th Mar, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 16th Jul, 2009 11:35

Secunia showed up a vulnerability with Google Chrome which I only just installed today! So I found the latest update though another link and now have 2.0.172.33. Despite rebooting my computer and rescanning, Secunia still shows that Google could be a Security Threat. Can anyone advise what I am supposed to do now, please? I am not a technie so idiot-speak will be fine if you can advise me. Many thanks in advance. :)

Anthony Wells RE: Google Chrome 2.0.172.33
Expert Contributor 16th Jul, 2009 18:30
Score: 2371
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 16th Jul, 2009 18:41
This thread may help you (hopefully:))

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/202...

If you are referring to a "secure browsing" security warning , this is showing that there is a vulnerability in Java (assuming you have it) that at the moment has no solution.

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
DAVID BINKO RE: Google Chrome 2.0.172.33
Member 16th Jul, 2009 23:38
Score: 0
User Since: 23rd Jun 2009
My situation with Internet Explorer 8 is very much like like VJ's
Google Chrome problem. I have one vulnerability which has no fix, and
I also have the Java vulnerability Anthony refers to.
My real interest is in learning why users try Google Chrome and either stay with it or don't. I'm thinking of it as either a default or secondary browser, and if the security issues are no worse than I have now with IE8 it seems like an option. If any of you out there care to voice opinions, I'd like to hear them.
Good luck, VJ, and thanks Anthony for the additional info.

--
Dave Binko, a.k.a. Crash Computer
Windows XP Home Edition,SP3 (build 2600)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor: 1.9Ghz,896 MB RAM
Micro-Star International, Ltd MS-7253 1.00
Built by RJ Ender, Cedar Rapids, IA, July 2007
O.S. clean installed May 2009 after 2nd crash this year
Was this reply relevant?
+0
b. theilgaard RE: Google Chrome 2.0.172.33
Member 17th Jul, 2009 14:31
User Since: 8th Dec 2008
on 16th Jul, 2009 11:34, VJ wrote:
Secunia showed up a vulnerability with Google Chrome which I only just installed today! So I found the latest update though another link and now have 2.0.172.33. Despite rebooting my computer and rescanning, Secunia still shows that Google could be a Security Threat. Can anyone advise what I am supposed to do now, please? I am not a technie so idiot-speak will be fine if you can advise me. Many thanks in advance. :)

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Slamgeden RE: Google Chrome 2.0.172.33
Member 17th Jul, 2009 15:29
User Since: 17th Jul 2009
Google doesn't remove old versions when it updates.

--
Assorted Fnords.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jul, 2009 21:14
Last edited on 17th Jul, 2009 21:31
Hello Slamgeden and VJ,

Thanks for the info on Google Chrome. For my purposes it's worth knowing. Do you know if anything of the sort applies to Foxfire? I just downloaded Foxfire 3.5.1 to try it out. I hadn't tried it in a long time and for me it's much improved.
VJ, if it was me, I would delete your Google installation and reinstall the new version you just found. I'm finding that as a general sort of thing I have better success with new product versions if I take out the old version first, then install the new one. I really got educated on that one when I installed RealPlayer SP, the new Beta version. With some help from Secunia PSI I found I already had two separate installations of RealPlayer versions. RealPlayer uninstall program isn't very good and leaves stuff behind for all to see. One of my more fortunate moves was acquiring Revo Uninstaller to help remove old programs and failed
uninstalls. It first runs the program's uninstall procedure, then takes out nearly all remnants. It's free, too.
Is it a Google thing? I recently went to update Google Earth and found it installed in three separate places.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
VJ RE: Google Chrome 2.0.172.33
Member 17th Jul, 2009 23:15
Score: 3
User Since: 20th Mar 2009
Thanks to all for your kind input and advice. In the end I uninstalled all Google programmes and also Real Player. I System Restored and then started afresh. All is well, but I do have two unsecure Powerpoint 2003 PPTVIEW.EXE programmes indicated. However, when I used the 'Direct Download Link' on Secunia, MS update does not identify that there are any outstanding updates for my computer. I also have two end of terms which are Macromedia Flash 7x (I remedied this, I thought, by using the fix download and installing some Adobe programme. However, Macromedia, although it does not seem to exist on my pc, still shows through Secunia. The other is Sygate Personal Firewall 5x which, when I checked, seemed to be the latest version. I use Avast Home Edition for antivirus and Malwarebytes for malware.

Any advice for me please to keep my machine ticking over!

Many thanks in advance
Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Google Chrome 2.0.172.33
Handling Contributor 18th Jul, 2009 10:24
Score: 11297
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Valerie,
What are the paths to the insecure items?
Are U using a full version of Microsoft Office 2003 or have U got the free reader installed?
To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, please follow there guidelines using the
ADVANCED interface:
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
* Click on the + sign of the programme to “expand’ it.
* Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Jul, 2009 11:03
Hi Maurice, thanks for replying.

The full details are, for both insecure programmes:

C:\i386\Apps\APP19151\src\MSWORKS\PFILES\OFFICE\PP V

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\PowerPoint Viewer

I use an HP Pavilion Media Center TV m7580.uk Desktop PC. A little while ago I got 'Trojan Brisv.A!inf' on my computer which got past NAV2009 and resisted removal. I had to totally restore my system. I suspected the backup disks I had might have been faulty (long story) and so HP kindly sent me replacement disks FOC. I reinstalled the Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 (upgrade)that I had bought and it installed just fine. I am not aware of any problems with MOPE 2003 and I have no problems viewing Powerpoints.

Not sure if there is anything I can add but I would greatly appreciate any advise about this. After the fiasco with the Trojan, I really don't want any more problems with my computer.

Best regards
Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 18th Jul, 2009 11:09
Last edited on 18th Jul, 2009 11:35
Valerie,
Your problems are easy to fix. The i386 folder is a system backup type folder that has no exposure - just create an ignore rule and U will be perfectly safe.
Edit: Perhaps I should be more precise.
Creating an IGNORE RULE

Click on the SETTINGS tab>scroll to the bottom & click on CREATE IGNORE RULE

In the RULE NAME BOX insert something like MY BACKUP DRIVE

In the RULE BOX type C:\i386

Click SAVE IGNORE RULE>CLOSE

The drive will continue to be scanned by default but the result will not be published.

PowerPoint Viewer.

Do U ever make Powerpoint Presentations & the transfer them to CD or DVD for others to see/share?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Jul, 2009 19:33
Maurice, thank you so much for your help. I have done what you say with regard to C:\i386 and this has now disappeared from my insecure list. However, there still remains the matter of:

I cannot seem able to remedy this situation. MS update indicates all is well but still that folder is recognised by Secunia as a security threat. To be honest, I don't really understand what patches are. My qualifications are more in the line of secretarial work (powerpoint, emails, documents, tables, etc). I just try to keep abreast of things and even replaced a faulty DVD drive but this stuff has me at a loss. Why do you think that the above folder shows as insecure still?

I have, in the past, created Powerpoints and have done animated ones for fun which I have circulated to friends and I did once save one to a disk. Why do you ask?

Someone mentioned the use of Revo Uninstaller. I am interested in it and note it can be downloaded from Revo or from Download.com. Have you any experience of it?

Best regards
Valerie

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 18th Jul, 2009 22:05
I know of Revo.

Firstly, have U got a separate entry in add/remove for PowerPoint Viewer? If so, U can unistall it as it is not required by Office 2003 owners. If U also find an Excel & Word Viewer remove them as well.

Secondly, if U do find the Viewers & remove them rescan with PSI & U may well still find an error in that a Powerpoint Viewer file is also embedded within Powerpoint.

Thirdly, Once U give me the result of the latest scan there are 2 solutions. If U do not use Powerpoint to create presentations the fix is easy. U do use it so the solution is more detailed.

I will await your next scan result.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Google Chrome 2.0.172.33
Member 18th Jul, 2009 23:10
I never thought I could be swayed away from IE8 but I do like SRWare Iron that is based on Google's Chrome on my XP Pro system:
http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

Whats the difference between Iron and Chrome?
http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chro...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jul, 2009 02:08
YoKenny, I opened one of your links, and SRWare Iron looks interesting.
I'm informally auditioning browsers lately, and I'm curious as to what in particular you like about SRWare Iron. After all these years I'm discovering that there are alternatives to MSIE. Such a stick in the mud.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jul, 2009 11:07
Hi Maurice

I don't see individual programmes under 'add or remove programs' for MS Office 2003 as they appear under just that one name with a string of very recent updates shown below, including updates for Excel and PPT. I see no individual programme for PPT viewer or Excel Viewer, etc.

I am also, in another thread, attempting to resolve the issue of two end of life products - Sygate Personal Firewall, and Macromedia Flash Player 7.x (ActiveX Control)which seems to be well and truly affixed to programmes that run my computer. I used the direct link provided by Secunia and downloaded the recommended Adobe Flash Player version 10.0.22.87 but still the Macromedia hangs on in there! The folder is shown as a 'hidden' folder and its path is c:\WINDOWS\system32\FLASH.OCX. Another one that I think I am stuck with.

I had a few responses on the above and was steered to what appears to be an excellent website - http://www.techsupportalert.com Thought I would pass it on in case you do not know of it and would like to. :)

Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 19th Jul, 2009 11:37
Valerie,
Think we are best doing this in stages.

Powerpoint.
I will give U a quick fix that will solve the cat5 security problem which is important. It will close your ability to create & save presentations to disk otherwise the programme will work perfectly. Later we can fix it completely.

To fix the insecurity Right click on Start>select Explore>navigate to Program Files & expand it>navigate to Microsoft Office & expand it>Click on Office 11>in the Right hand pane scroll down until you see a file called PPTVIEW.EXE>Right click on this file - select RENAME and then rename the file PPTVIEW.EXE_OLD

Rerun PSI & your insecurity should be removed.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Jul, 2009 22:24
Last edited on 20th Jul, 2009 22:44
Dear Maurice

Many thanks again for your kind advice. I took the steps you suggested and renamed the file extension with .EXE_OLD exactly as you said, but still it remains.

Looking at your instructions and at my folders, Powerpoint viewer is not actually within Office11. This is its location.

Whereas the rest of the stuff under office (sub-folders) is under:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11

Does this mean anything to you that could be the root of the problem? I did as you suggested, and rescanned. It remains. I rebooted and rescanned, it remains. Further, when I click START and then ALL PROGRAMS, I see that Powerpoint Viewer is out on its own with its own icon, while the rest of the Microsoft Office 2003 programmes are contained within another icon and simply called 'Microsoft Office'. Why would that be, do you suppose?

I hope that I am not being a nuisance with all my questions. At least my pc is more secure than it was last week. 95% is not too bad I suppose.

Best regards

Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 20th Jul, 2009 23:12
Last edited on 20th Jul, 2009 23:14
Valerie,
You are not being a nuisance at all. Please confirm U have renamed the PowerPoint Viewer file PPTVIEW.EXE within the Office11 folders & files U have found to PPTVIEW.EXE_OLD ?

Please take another look at Add/Remove because it looks U have got the standalone viewer installed as well which U do not require.

If U cannot find the programme in add/Remove download this tool

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/

Once downloaded run the programme. It will give U a list of all the programmes U have installed using MSI. Scroll up & down & try to find the Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer installer. If found highlight it & click remove.

If U are not sure about the file just come back with the list of office files found & I can guide U further but it should stick out like a sore thumb.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Jul, 2009 23:19
Last edited on 20th Jul, 2009 23:21
Maurice, I have been desperately trying to edit my previous message to you and it will not allow it. I did rename the powerpoint viewer file exactly as you said but it will not disappear from my 'insecures.

I got rather frustrated and googled the problem and found a link:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/675...

The end comment implies that this viewer is not necessary. I see it seems to be out on a limb and outside the Office11 folder. I cannot see it separately within 'add or remove programmes'. If I should delete it, how can this be done? Simply by pressing delete?

Hope this message gets through!!!!

Valerie

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Jul, 2009 23:23
I am going to the link you gave me and will get back to you as to whether I have been successful.

Many thanks, Maurice,

Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Jul, 2009 23:28
Last edited on 26th Jul, 2009 22:39
Dear Maurice

I now have no insecure programmes thanks to you. Now all I have to do is resolve the problems of the end of life or whatever, Sygate and Macromedia flash. At least they are not a security threat.

Many many many thanks. I wish I knew all that you know.

Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 21st Jul, 2009 00:09
Last edited on 21st Jul, 2009 00:09
Valerie,
May not have finished yet. Office 2003 is a lovely Office Suite but it cannot read & write to offerings produced by Office 2007.

To make your installation perfect I strongly advise:

1. Check in Add/Remove if U have the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack SP1 installed.

2. If U have not I would download it from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?fa...

3. Once installed upgrade via this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Fa...

4. Once installed use this link to double check there are no outstanding Office Updates:

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD U INSTALL THE STANDALONE 2007 VIEWERS ON OFFER FROM MICROSOFT. IF U FIND ANY IN ADD/REMOVE WHILE LOOKING FOR THE COMPATIBILITY PACK REMOVE THEM.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 21st Jul, 2009 00:25
Valerie,
Your Flash problem should be resolved if U follow these details:

To remove all versions of Flash from the C drive of your PC:

1. Download & use the flash Uninstaller from here:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?ext...

2. Reboot to clear out any left over ocx files.

3. Rescan using PSI - if there are any insecure Flash elements left what is the path to them? (The overview page may look a little odd because it uses Flash for the pictorials)

Note: At this stage,if PSI finds any elements of Flash in the C:\i386 folder or on any drive other than C that is an OEM reinstallation partition (normally D drive) or a drive U use solely to backup your work U can safely create an ignore rule.

4. Reinstall the latest Internet Explorer Flash Player from here:

http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/

3A.If U are also using Firefox, Opera and other Gecko-based browsers U need this link as well:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_fire...

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Jul, 2009 11:02
Hi Maurice

I did as you suggested regarding the Flash programme, using the link you kindly provided, however, it remains. It simply cleared off the latest Adobe that I had uploaded a couple of days ago through the direct link, remedy, provided by PSI.

The path is:

Technical details about this installation of Macromedia Flash Player 7.x (ActiveX Control), you can use this information to determine why the Secunia PSI detected the program and the security state of it.

Version Detected:

Installation Path:
c:\WINDOWS\system32\FLASH.OCX

Last Inspection of Program:
21st Jul. 2009, 10:56 CET

It seems to be within 'hidden' programmes that run my computer.

I use, IE8 by the way. Not sure whether that is a good thing or not. I have so much trouble with internet and can never be sure if it is IE8, the '3' mobile broadband that I must use and/or the mountainous area where I live.

I won't reinstall the Adobe Flash until I hear further from you.

I am now going to open another thread about a concern with Java.

Many thanks
Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 21st Jul, 2009 13:09
Navigaate back to c:\WINDOWS\system32\FLASH.OCX

Right click & delete that entry - run PSI - all should be Ok - install Flash from links provided.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Jul, 2009 16:48
Last edited on 26th Jul, 2009 22:46
Bingo. :)

That was a bit scary as when I clicked the folder on Secunia it took me to a folder called system32 under the Windows folder. However, FLASH was nowhere to be seen. So, I did a search of my system which identified the icon for the FLASH. I went to my C drive and opened all stages of hidden folders, very carefully, until I finally found the icon with FLASH on it, loud and clear. I deleted it and now all is well. Thank you so much for all your time and effort.

All I have left is the Sygate Firewall and I really am not sure what to do about that or what Firewall to put in its place. Like all IT novices, I hate to tamper with such things as, don't you have to uninstall a firewall in order to install another.

Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 21st Jul, 2009 17:18
Valerie,
We are lucky in the UK in that we can get advice & product test results from Which?

I note U have been on other threads with this subject but I do not want to join any programme bashing thread.

All I will say is Which? unlike many of the other links U have been given is untainted by pressure from the government or advertisers.

I do not use freebie programmes at all on my main platform but a test drive of Comodo on my "tester" PC was fairly successful. One thing for sure Sygate should be removed & then its "take yer pick"!
In the interim switch on the Windows firewall until U have decided.

As a point of interest do U use BT as your ISP & use their hub because that has a firewall & WPA2 security.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Jul, 2009 17:48
Thanks for your input again Maurice. I understand what you say about programme bashing. We all have our different viewpoints often based on experiences rather than hearsay. NAV served me well for a long long time and I must say, I miss it. I found it so easy to use. I have no problem in paying for software and often wonder how such excellent things, like Secunia, can be free. I feel that you get what you pay for most of the time in this life. I expect I shall have to subscribe to Which in order to obtain their advice but it does seem rather expensive per month and that has been the reason for my reluctance to subscribe in the past.

I shall have to give serious thought to the firewall and worry that I won't install it properly. I never actually installed one and my concern is that it will ask questions that I do not know the answer to. I had heard that it can be problematic, depending...

I have used download.com and gained advice from ComputerActive from time to time.

Best regards

Valerie

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Jul, 2009 17:53
Sorry, forgot to answer your question. No, I don't possess BT at all. No landline. No TV set. I use '3' for phone and broadband right now.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 21st Jul, 2009 18:00
Last edited on 21st Jul, 2009 18:02
Valerie,
I agree - their independence does cost money. U & one or two others are not going to like what I say but Norton Internet Security 2009 is the Which? best buy! (The score of 68% outshone all the rest including "freebies")

There have been problems with Norton. Version 2007 was a horror & 2008 a typical Norton resource hog.

The 2009 edition cured all that & hogging is no longer a problem.

I am currently Beta testing Norton IS 2010 on my "tester PC" It will work with XP/Vista & Windows 7. Like all beta's it has its moments but the product is again looking very good.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Jul, 2009 18:34
Hi Maurice

I smiled when you said that NAV2009 was WHICH bestbuy. I was their biggest fan and was not afraid to tell everyone for years. I am not surprised that they came out well, but when I got the Trojan and their own removal tool would not remove it, they tried to make me pay £70 for their assistance and I had been with them so many years. I was shocked. I am not bashing them but my computer went haywire, it would not System Restore and I could not get into it to back up any of my data. I had to do a System REcovery and lost much work, including personal medical data that I badly needed. I lost all my music, the lot. I learned a hard lesson and I bought a Personal drive of 500Gb which I back up now. Before REcovery I managed to retrieve, using a special programme, a lot of correspondence that was invaluable but much was nevertheless lost.

So, I am afraid I cannot see me going back with them much as I would like to.

Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Jul, 2009 18:35
I would be very interested to know what you use, Maurice. But maybe you have reasons to not want to tell me.

Regards

VAlerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 21st Jul, 2009 19:45
Valerie,

Do not mind at all. Everyone sets up to meet their own needs hence I do not like to comment on other peoples choices unless I can substantiate why a product should not be used. I personally look for compatibility covering all the known "nasties" with as few programmes as possible to meet that need. The key to my requirement is depth & total compatibility without using sandboxes or being frightened to death to go anywhere on the WWW.

I firstly use the BT hub firewall which also uses WPA2 for wireless.

My second line firewall is Norton IS 2009 which includes my first line anti virus.

My second line antivirus is provided by Lavasoft Ad -Adware 2009 Professional. This programme is my first line of defence against registry & browser alterations being made without my consent.

Malwarebytes Professional is my second/third line of defence against malware which is also included in NIS & Ad Adware.

These 4 programmes work flawlessly together & PC security is the leased of my concerns. They also interact beautifully with all the other professional programmes I have installed including Office 2007.

I might add that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES will I allow any vendor to automatically download or install anything on my main platform. This includes the automatic updater from Microsoft.

Secunia also plays a vital role. Being a lazy devil I need their advisories so I can patch via vendor sites or adjust my registry. Others run the PSI scanner which in itself is an excellent aid to security if U follow the advice offered.

Hope this makes sense - bit long but I believe security should be explained as a package rather than individual elements.
U have not mentioned if U have installed the 2007 Compatibilty Pack!

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Jul, 2009 20:33
Thank you for the explanation of your security. It all sounds so complex to me and far above my head. I don't know what a Sandbox is. Someone mentioned HIPS. I feel overwhelmed with it all. I was asked if I use a modem. Do I? I use a '3' dongle (mobile broadband, because I have no landline). I can never fully understand these links when they start writing geek speak.

Anthony kindly sent me links and spent so much effort in explaining but my head is swimming with it all - aside from my being disabled with severe permanent vertigo! :) I would never know which is compatible with what. It was so much easier with NAV.

I was hoping someone would say, download that it is a miracle firewall and I would have done with it. Someone once said to me that he didn't understand why people were so afraid of computers and their problems. I don't understand why anyone who is not experienced wouldn't be.

Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 21st Jul, 2009 20:40
Valerie,
My advice is to remove Sygate. Theen go into the Control Panel & switch on the Windows firewall - U will be perfectly safe using your dongle with that.

I will look up my research notes on firewalls & come back to U.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Jul, 2009 21:53
Last edited on 21st Jul, 2009 21:56
Maurice

I have done the downloading for the 2007 compatibility... but step 4 of your instructions. Is it the correct link, please?

1. Check in Add/Remove if U have the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack SP1 installed.

2. If U have not I would download it from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?fa...

3. Once installed upgrade via this link:

4. Once installed use this link to double check there are no outstanding Office Updates:

I have uninstalled Sygate and activated Windows firewall, but there is no icon showing for it at the bottom of my screen. I thought there would have been.

Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 21st Jul, 2009 22:18
Is this link better?
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/def...

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Jul, 2009 11:03
Thank you, Maurice. I used it and it updated.

Strangely, when I plugged in my broadband dongle this morning, I was automatically advised that there were Windows updates waiting and I allowed it to do so. When I used your link, there were further updates. Why is that? I understand that the link you gave me might be better than the windows update. Am I talking nonsense here? I am trying to make sense of it myself. Can I set my computer to automatically find updates from the link you gave me?

I have added the link to my 'computer' favourites so I know I can locate it easily along with all the other links that have been suggested to me. I also checked HP updates this morning, and all is well.

I think I told you that I deleted Sygate and turned on the Windows firewall. I had a little difficulty finding out how to do that but googled it and it told me how to do it through START and RUN. Thought there might be an easier way.

Regards
Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 22nd Jul, 2009 11:08
Good Morning Valerie,
Before I answer your query about updates can I take it that U are using PSI in the advanced mode & U now have a total clean bill of health including the installation of Office 2007 Compatibility check?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Jul, 2009 15:47
Hi Maurice

Yes, absolutely. I have been using advanced for a little while and it is 100% thanks to you. It showed 100% for a long time in Simple mode (but with a warning that there were 17 other programmes that needed fixing) but I was afraid to use advanced until I contacted the guys at Secunia who put my mind at rest. I was not sure if once I went into Advanced if I would be able to revert to simple if I could not use it. It was far more easy than I had imagined except for those two end-of-lifes and the few security threats that you helped me resolve.

I have only the windows firewall now and have checked Download.com (CNET) for opinions. CNET rate it highly but the users slate it. Then again, the users slate them all. To be honest, Maurice, I dont really know what a firewall does except to block things that you don't want going out or in. I guess that is it? I wish I were still with NAV2009 as they did it all. I never had a minutes problem with it until that one time. I didnt care if my computer ran slow, just as long as the programme did its job.

I went shopping at lunchtime and when I got back, there were yet another 2 updates waiting to be installed. Getting updates left right and centre!

Regards
Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 22nd Jul, 2009 17:35
Valerie,
Very good news.
Windows Update.
The site I gave U is the normal Microsoft Update site. Some people have difficulty with it because they will not install Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) & prefer to go elsewhere for the Windows updates they require.

If U have authorised WGA (I suspect U have) MS normally prepare their downloads ready for the 2nd Tuesday of each month.

Critical downloads are installed automatically unless U prevent this bad practice***. This can be achieved by changing a few settings as follows:

Go to start>control panel>Click on the System Icon>click on the Automatic Updates tab>change the setting to "Notify me but don't automatically .......

In future a yellowish shield will appear in your tray near the clock whenever Microsoft upload data to this site. U can now manually go to the site via the link I gave U & run the scanner via the CUSTOM button & select the updates U want.

*** By bad practice I mean U are allowing a vendor to install items on your PC that U have no control over & will not have a clue where to look for problem solving if the download/installation is corrupted during that process.

Firewall.
Your simple explanation of a firewall is good enough. It is an important security feature.

I would advise U look at this site:
http://www.comodo.com/products/wizard/index.php?ut...@btinternet.com&ut m_campaign=auto&click2=SASP22600.138

It will give U ideas on what to do & what U need in plain English. If U do decide to install Comodo IS please remember U must uninstall your current anti virus first.
The paid version looks a very tempting offer with the help they provide with it.

I hope this helps.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Jul, 2009 23:51
Last edited on 23rd Jul, 2009 00:04
Hi Maurice

Been trying to reply to your message for over half hour but my response just goes into cyberspace.

Not sure if I installed WGA. All I know is that the link you gave me updated my 2007 compatibility programmes.

I have always had my pc set so that Windows updates were notified but only installed on my say so, simply because I found it a nuisance it doing it when it wanted to and not when I wanted. However, I would not know whether the updates were right or wrong. I just trusted it and always automatically updated what it suggested. It would have to say 'dont trust me' in big red letters for me to know the difference! I never was awrae of having a problem afterwards but that is not to say there was never one.

I just subscribed to Malwarebytes, rather than the free version.

So, Comodo is not only a firewall but also an antivirus. I had not realised.

Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Jul, 2009 23:53
Read about Comodo:
http://hphosts.blogspot.com/2009/07/comodo-continu...
http://hphosts.blogspot.com/2009/07/comodo-still-s...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Jul, 2009 23:58
YoKenny

Sorry, I dont know what they are talking about exactly. I need it spelling out. Are the blogs saying that Comodo is selective about what it blocks and does not, or what it identifies as malware or does not? I need layman speak.

What antivirus and firewalls do you use? Everyone seems to have a different story when I google it to find out. I have my beef too.

Regards
Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Jul, 2009 00:05
Continuing what I have been trying to write, Maurice...

If I have to uninstall Avast AV, could I not just turn it off while I install, say, Comodo. Then if I have problems with the new programme, I could turn that off and Avast back on while I get the problem sorted. Is that stupid thinking? What worries me is everything going pearshaped and me not being able to get on the net to ask advice or find out what to do!

Would I also need to turn off Windows firewall?

Do you think then that Comodo is a good package? I cannot tell one from the other, dumb as it may sound. They all seem to say the same thing.

For now, I did as you said and set up Windows Firewall but there is no sign of it in the tray near the clock. Is that odd?

Sorry for all the questions, Maurice.

Many thanks
Valerie

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 23rd Jul, 2009 01:30
Valerie,
What @YoKenny is talking about has got nothing to do with a firewall. His blog links refer to Comodo issuing SSL certificates to the odd bogus company. Nothing much there - Verisign & Thwarte which are other big names in this field are just as bad. The CIA & MI5 have very strict vetting rules but still manage to employ spies & double agents!!

As I said before U are safe with your current set up particularly now U have Malwarebytes Professional.

I have provided another link with all the products Comodo issue for free. Hopefully the information it gives with each product will help U decide what U want if anything.

As I said in an earlier post, I am loathed to recommend one product against another because they all have "bits" that people do not like. One criticism of Comodo I have seen is there are to many "balloon type" warnings - some hate this type of behaviour.

U will note in the products there is a standalone firewall which means U can keep Avast if U like it.

U can use Comodo,the firewall U currently have (many do) or any other firewall &, if U do not like them,remove them via add/remove. If U decide to install an Internet Security Suite the golden rule (in general) is that U should never have 2 anti virus programmes installed on one PC.(Like bulls,they tend to fight each other).

There is no icon in the system tray with your current firewall but a warning will appear if the Windows firewall is switched off.

The new Comodo link:
http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/secur...

Given that U have time to consider your options this link may also prove useful:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-firewall...

Do not be sorry for asking questions - better that than being bitten twice by an infection.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Jul, 2009 18:51
Last edited on 26th Jul, 2009 22:43
Dear Maurice

Many thanks for your usual very clear email. I always perfectly understand what you are talking about. You are very good at emails for dummies. :)

You believe I am safe for the time being with Windows Firewall then? If you think my set up good, I wouldnt mind leaving it alone for the time being until I can decide what to do. I am going to check the links you gave for Comodo and decide what to do depending on what you say about Windows Firewall.

Best regards
Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Jul, 2009 18:56
Maurice

This thing does not like me to send one email to you. I have to split it!

I was saying...

You mentioned Avast and I must admit I have been happy with it. A few times it has blocked a virus. I also like the way Avast updates once to three times a day. Right now they are offering a 3 year Professional Avast for £54. Or 2 years for £45. Not sure about it

http://www.avast.com/eng/upgrade-to-avast-professi...

All the same, I want to use an online scanner from time to time, just a double check. Know of a good one? I used Trendmicro Housecall but it took forever and a day! About 2 1/2 hours! Grief!

Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 23rd Jul, 2009 21:47
Valerie,
I think what U are doing is 100% correct. U are safe now so take your time over the decision of your final security set up.

U have Malwarebytes Professional. Open the programme & set it up to your liking by checking the options on all the tabs.

It will do a scan daily if U want (I do) which is a perfect to compliment Avast.

In a nutshell, if the Windows firewall is on + Avast + Malwarebytes U should be perfectly safe.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Jul, 2009 02:09
Last edited on 24th Jul, 2009 02:57
on 23rd Jul, 2009 21:47, Maurice Joyce wrote:
Valerie,
I think what U are doing is 100% correct. U are safe now so take your time over the decision of your final security set up.

U have Malwarebytes Professional. Open the programme & set it up to your liking by checking the options on all the tabs.

It will do a scan daily if U want (I do) which is a perfect to compliment Avast.

In a nutshell, if the Windows firewall is on + Avast + Malwarebytes U should be perfectly safe.

I purchased Malwarebytes Professional for my systems so believe Maurice.

Anthony does not know what he is talking about as it looks like his experience is lacking in several areas.

Whom are you going to trust 3 Microsoft Valuable Profesionals (MVPs) or an inexperienced user such as Anthony?

Look at the BestTechie video interview with Bruce Harrison who is a developer at Malwarebytes – the company who created Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware:
http://www.besttechie.net/2008/08/20/malwarebytes-... <== software firewall discussion starts about 8 minutes into the excellent video

If you must have a software firewal then I have heard that Outpost or PC Tools firewalls are good.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Jul, 2009 11:15
Dear YoKenny

I absolutely do trust Maurice, without question and he has been my mentor. I make my own decisions, always have, but my instincts told me at the beginning that Maurice knows his stuff. I had used the free version of Malwarebytes for sometime, updating daily. I purchased Malwarebytes after being in direct contact with the company and being satisfied with the response. Unfortunately, I had to delay a while as I was concerned about online banking and financial transactions until Maurice sorted me out.

I believe that Anthony knows a lot more than I do and he has kindly tried to share his knowledge. Maurice, however, has been able to direct me in a language that I can easily understand. I consider myself intelligent but big enough to know my limits.

I am glad that you agree with Maurice. What are Microsoft Valuable Professionals that you refer to? Sorry, being ignorant again.

Best regards and thanks
Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Jul, 2009 11:21
Last edited on 26th Jul, 2009 22:48
Dear Maurice

Malwarebytes is performing well. I have it set to update and scan daily. It is quick and thorough. In general folder, all the boxes are ticked except the one to 'terminate Internet Explorer...' It is how it was set when I paid for the upgrade.

I will leave my pc as it is for now. Thanks for your reassurance.

Many thanks.
Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Jul, 2009 11:46
YoKenny

I just listened to the link you kindly sent regarding the Malwarebytes Developer (Bruce Harrison) interview on 'besttechie.net'.
It was invaluable. I listened to it carefully and was pleased to hear that Bruce Harrison of Malwarebytes rated my free antivirus, Avast, highly, as well as 'Avira Antivir'. Interesting that he also rated the paid 'Kaspersky AV' and something that sounded like O32??? highly and said these were the only two paid ones that he would consider. Obviously a personal opinion based on knowledge and experience.

He agreed with Maurice (who wouldn't?) that regular Windows firewall is ok but then went on to say with the router with a non-standard password and unversal plug and play inside router turned off. It was then that he lost me.

Best regards
Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Jul, 2009 11:48
Dear Maurice

Would you see my message to YoKenny and explain about the router. You will know that I use a '3' dongle. I don't have a password for it. It seems to be inbuilt and shown simply by asterisks! Can I forget about the router info?

Regards
Valerie

on 24th Jul, 2009 11:46, VJ wrote:
YoKenny

I just listened to the link you kindly sent regarding the Malwarebytes Developer (Bruce Harrison) interview on 'besttechie.net'.
It was invaluable. I listened to it carefully and was pleased to hear that Bruce Harrison of Malwarebytes rated my free antivirus, Avast, highly, as well as 'Avira Antivir'. Interesting that he also rated the paid 'Kaspersky AV' and something that sounded like O32??? highly and said these were the only two paid ones that he would consider. Obviously a personal opinion based on knowledge and experience.

He agreed with Maurice (who wouldn't?) that regular Windows firewall is ok but then went on to say with the router with a non-standard password and unversal plug and play inside router turned off. It was then that he lost me.

Best regards
Valerie

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 24th Jul, 2009 19:41
Valerie,

@YoKenny put U on to a good summary. This should allay any fears U have about your current set up.

U have clearly mastered setting up your security programmes to gain maximum benefit - that is half the battle - getting them working for U as opposed to blinding using the programme defaults.

The second key factor is keeping them up to date - again U appear to have got that totally under control.

A Router.
Most people now use a router (BT call it a hub) & large corporates use a server.
In basic terms they allow U to connect numerous PC's together by hard wiring or by wireless.

A dongle is a piece of kit that allows only one PC to use the internet by wireless which does not require a router.

A quality router will have its own Firewall - I believe @YoKenny only uses that & has not got any Firewall software installed which is perfectly safe.

I chose to use my Hub (router) firewall & have a second one running via Norton IS 2009. Many would argue this is overkill but I did explain my rationale in an early post.

U will need to just check the paperwork that came with your dongle. I believe they transmit to a secure server which encrypts data both ways to protect U. I say that as I note that most internet dongles have their internet speed throttled (your maximum speed is 3.36MB) which is very good speed for UK.

Also bear in mind U have Microsoft Outlook 2003? This has magic junk mail filters which are updated monthly on "Patch Tuesday" - Microsoft also download the Malicious Software Tool on the same day so U are getting plenty of additional help.

I would relax - U are safe but just check out the dongle security aspect.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Jul, 2009 20:48
Last edited on 26th Jul, 2009 22:45
Hi Maurice

Yes, I liked the link provided by YoKenny. You both seem to be on the same wavelength here. The link contained much useful information, I thought.

I looked at the literature given re my dongle but all it shows is how to install the dongle. Not a thing else. I found Huawei website which was a maze of info! I googled for info on the dongle which is an Huawei E220. I am still non-the-wiser about encryption or security.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huawei_E220
http://www.huawei.com/mobileweb/en/products/view.d...

Regards
Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Jul, 2009 20:51
Last edited on 26th Jul, 2009 22:36
Hi again Maurice

Having to reply in bits as this message thing will not allow me to send all at one time.

Maurice, having listened to YoKenny's link re Malwarebytes, I considered buying AV protection. I know you mentioned Comodo, but wondered your views about Kaspersky or Avast Professional. The guy from Malwarebytes rated Kaspersky and something like O32 (could not clearly fathom what he was saying)as the only paid AV that he would consider. And Avast and Avira as his freeware choices. Would very much appreciate your views about these versus Comodo. Money is not the issue with me. Getting value for it is. I will pay much for online security and a great customer service. :)

I have never used Outlook. I have always used Yahoo and like it, except having trouble getting into it lately! Any thoughts?

regards
Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: Google Chrome 2.0.172.33
Contributor 24th Jul, 2009 21:36
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
Valerie,
Just a quick line about O32. I think you mean NOD32 from Est LLC. I have used it for years & highly recommend it for A/V & A/S. The interface takes a little while to get used to, but other than that after it goes through the 'learning curve' very reliable & was one of the first to use heuristics as a method for detecting malware. It comes in 2 versions-1. NOD32 which is A/V & A/S or 2. Smart Security which includes a firewall. Good luck on your 'pick' & I too trust Maurice Joyce opinions & attention to detail-wish I knew what he's forgotten. Hope you have a jolly weekend.

Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 24th Jul, 2009 21:58
Last edited on 24th Jul, 2009 22:15
Valerie,
Kaspersky has a very good anti virus programme. The 2 year cost is about £50 which is reasonable but if U compare it with their Internet Security Programme which is only £14 more but look at the difference here:

http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/compare

I believe that a good deal & covers your dongle.

U could always give Avast Professional a 60 day trial before purchase.
I used this link:
http://www.avast.com/

If U decide to use Kaspersky I would advise:

1. Download and SAVE the file to desktop.
2. REMOVE THE DONGLE.
3. Uninstall Avast Free edition.
4. Switch off the Windows firewall.(if buying Internet Security)
5. REBOOT
6. After reboot close Malwarebytes via the system tray icon.
7. Install Kaspersky.
8. Insert the dongle & update the programme.
9. Reload Malwarebytes.
10. Set up Kaspersky to your liking.

Edit.Secunia have just issued an advisory on Kaspersky. Low level problem but important U do update it with the latest patches which includes a fix for this flaw.

EMail.
I assume U are using web mail? Let me know once U have looked at remainder of this post.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jul, 2009 16:20
Hi Maurice

Kaspersky is cheap! NAV2009 is £30+ a year. 3 Questions:

How do I turn off Malwarebytes? By system tray you do mean the icons near the clock, don't you? I should know the name for all these things but I am useless at remembering! I opened MWB but saw nowhere to turn it off or turn it back on again! Sorry !!

When you say insert the dongle and update programme, you are referring to updating Kaspersky, right?

Do you know an easy way to turn off Windows Firewall. To turn it on, I had to go into START and RUN. I thought I would find it in my Tools but nope!

Yes, I use a web-email. Yahoo / IE8. Why? (she says in trepidation) :)

Best wishes
Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 25th Jul, 2009 17:02
Last edited on 25th Jul, 2009 17:05
Valerie,
1. Malwarebytes - Right click on the icon near the clock - select EXIT.
2. Dongle - Yes to update Kaspersky.
3. Firewall - Go to Start>Control Panel>Select Windows Firewall icon>switch it off from there.
4. Mail. Will tell U about Outlook 2003 as promised after U have sorted out your security to your liking.
5. To switch on Malwarebytes go to Start>All Programs>Look for Malwarebytes Anti Malware & click on the familiar red M icon.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jul, 2009 20:55
Thank you Maurice, lovely and clear as always. I don't know when I will deal with changing security but I am sure I shall. One thing I don't like about Avast is that when I do a scan of,say, an image, it does it really fast but doesn't give you any message saying it was clear. You have to assume that it is or it would tell you otherwise.

Did full MWB and Avast Scans today of all drives and zero problems. Still have 100% clear on PSI. Thanks to you.

Do you know what the programme Python 2.2.3 and Python 2.2 (pywin32 extensions build 203)are? I have them on my computer; they came with the system. No idea what they do. It says I last used them on 9.3.09 but I think that is when I did a full System Recovery using my backup disks. I once googled to see what they were but I still didnt understand.

Regards
Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 25th Jul, 2009 22:09
Last edited on 25th Jul, 2009 22:11
Valerie,
Python.
Not surprised. It ships with OEM versions of HP. In basics terms it is for Programmers. Latest version is 3.

Mine was dumped (uninstalled) within hours of me buying this PC!

Good news about your security.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
oldy11111 RE: Google Chrome 2.0.172.33
Member 26th Jul, 2009 20:00
User Since: 5th Jun 2009
hiya, i stick with google chrome for most of my stuff. primarily because i like the way if feels. now wait, i'm not getting all spooky on you, i guess i mean that it's what they call intuitive these days.
at least for me it is. i have very few crashes and it gives me the option to restore a past session or start a new one. admittedly it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that firefox has but i've found a lot of them unneccessary. i use google chrome probably most of all, followed by opera and firefox about equally. safari just doesn't cut it for me. i think it's good, at least for me, to have several browsers that i can chose from depending upon what i'm doing at the time - downloads, research, games, whatever. thanks for letting me rattle on. hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Jul, 2009 21:08
Thanks Maurice

Python is now a thing of the past! I am sure there must be other things I don't need but I daren't uninstall them in case my screen goes black! :)

Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 27th Jul, 2009 15:56
Valerie,
Little chance of the bleak black screen. All OEM versions of Windows have additions added to get U started "out of the box".

They are commonly known as Crippleware(only bits work until U upgrade to the paid version),Bloatware (Adobe Free PDF Reader is a classic if U only use it to read email attachments & web page links in the PDF format) - Foxit Reader is 10 times smaller & a lot faster) and, forgive the language Crapware (Python is an example - few people know what is is or what it does).

What little gems have U got they could be dispatched to Never Never Land?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Jul, 2009 22:56
on 27th Jul, 2009 15:56, Maurice Joyce wrote:
Valerie,
Little chance of the bleak black screen. All OEM versions of Windows have additions added to get U started "out of the box".

They are commonly known as Crippleware(only bits work until U upgrade to the paid version),Bloatware (Adobe Free PDF Reader is a classic if U only use it to read email attachments & web page links in the PDF format) - Foxit Reader is 10 times smaller & a lot faster) and, forgive the language Crapware (Python is an example - few people know what is is or what it does).

What little gems have U got they could be dispatched to Never Never Land?

Hi Maurice

Not sure if I have anything that should be deleted. 1. What is CAPICOM? I know it is Microsoft 2.1.0.2 Shows no size but there is an update KB931906. 2. Enhanced Multimedia Keyboard Solution. What is that? 3. I have JAVA 6 update 13. Quite a big size programme. What is it for? 4. Mainconcept for Software encoder. ??? 5. Four x Intel programmes. 6. PC Doctor 5 for windows. Cannot say I ever used it! 7. I have a few Sonic programmes which I used in the past but not sure if they are out of date now. Secunia showed nothing.

Apart from all that, mostly HP, Epsom, MS and Windows stuff.

Hope you had a good weekend.
Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 27th Jul, 2009 23:58
Valerie,
CAPICOM can be used to enable the following tasks:

Digitally sign data with a smart card or software key
Verify digitally signed data
Graphically display certificate information
Inspect certificate properties such as subject name or expiration date
Add and remove certificates from the certificate stores
Encrypt and decrypt data with a password
Encrypt and decrypt data using public keys and certificates

Leave well alone & make sure it is up to date.

Enhanced Keyboard.
Most modern keyboards have a programme like this - it can enhanced the features of your keyboard.

Main Concept For Software Encoder.
Details are here:
http://www.mainconcept.com/site/index.php?id=17756
It is another programme added by HP. I would leave it alone.

PC Doctor For Windows 5.
The latest version is 7. Many OEM versions have this diagnostic tool. HP support could ask U to use it if U enlist their help. If it ever gives U grief, becomes End Of Life or shows as insecure with no solution U can safely remove it.

Sonic
Another OEM add on - some are Crippleware. Fairly harmless but if the trial licence has run out U can safely uninstall them.

Intel.
Leave alone.

JAVA.
In basic terms Java enhances your web browser experience. Some people never install it.
I am surprised yours is not showing as insecure.
Java will shortly post an update. Once that happens I will give U details of how to update it & remove old versions via this thread.

Microsoft Outlook.
Have U tried this programme to read your mail/calender/tasks etc?

If time allows I would open the programme and "play" with all the tabs & click buttons to check what they do.
It is really for business whereas Microsoft Express is for home users.

Apart from much greater flexibility than web mail U will get added security benefits as follows:
1. Currently your mail is checked for viruses by Yahoo & then processed as per your online filters to either your In Box or Junk Mail Box.

2.If U switch to Outlook your mail will be forwarded by Yahoo to Outlook. Prior to be received into Outlook your mail will be re scanned by your own anti virus as well (Avast or Kaspersky)& by Microsoft's Junk Mail Filters which are updated monthly.

3. Your mail will also be virus checked before transmission.

It really is worth the effort looking at it. All your professional Microsoft programmes integrate beautifully,graphics are superb,mail organisation is greatly enhanced as is your security which includes the ability to send & received encrypted mail.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Jul, 2009 10:03
Hi Maurice

Checked right through your message.

CAPICOM is up to date.

PC Doctors for Windows 5. I thought that was for me to use if necessary though I never have used it. Should I update it?

Sonic. I wasn't aware there was a 'trial license'. I have used it but a while ago now and an update costs!

Not sure I understand about JAVA. I have JAVA 6.0.130 (update 13)Sometimes I have been told that I needed to install JAVA to do something (cannot recall what) but I think (only think) that Java might have been one of the programes that Secunia found as insecure and allowed me to update and that is why it is not shown as insecure. I cannot see when it was updated or installed and my memory might not be serving me well.

Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Jul, 2009 10:05
Hi Maurice
to continue...

I know nothing about Outlook and had always thought it was an either Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, or Outlook. Now, looking at Tools/Internet Options/Programmes it has at the top 'You can specify which programme Windows Automatically uses... The settings for Email, Calendar and Contact List are shown as Windows Office Outlook. I opened my Microsoft Outlook 2003 programme as you suggested and got lost when it started giving me options about set up. Oh, I hate admitting to being so thick online where everyone can read it! Maurice, I am lost in space. My brain hurts! Help! Everyone else should stop laughing right now!!!

Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 28th Jul, 2009 13:45
Last edited on 28th Jul, 2009 13:47
Valerie,
PC Doctor - not sure U can update it but if HP offer that at no cost I would go for it.

No big deal - it really is an HP help & support thingy - just a handy tool to have but it is not a goddess to cure all ills.

JAVA - As already stated an update is just around the corner! I will post details on this thread on how U update & remove all old Java dross when that update is posted.

Sonic - some programmes from Sonic are cripple ware. If U try to use some of the programme links it will say U need to upgrade (pay) for it. If that happens & U really do not need the programme uninstall it. Otherwise they can be handy tools.

Outlook - good job U are not one of my regular students. I make them stand in front of a mirror & say "I am the Greatest & will not be defeated" then back to the PC for another go!!

On a more serious note it does look fairly complicated during a first look - fairly lengthy to explain & perhaps the wrong Forum. If U would like me to explain it further or set it up for U remotely U will need to contact me by email.

I have created a throwaway email address U can use which is
valeriemaurice@btinternet.com

It is valid for 24 hours if U wish to make contact - entirely up to U.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Jul, 2009 14:34
Thank you Maurice. I have taken up your kind and very thoughtful offer. Email sent already.

Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 31st Jul, 2009 10:20
Maurice

Just to let you know that I am having problems getting into my Yahoo account. Nothing new about that.

Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 31st Jul, 2009 10:59
Valerie,
This thread may interest U while U are waiting:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/238...

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 31st Jul, 2009 11:28
Hi Maurice

Jumped ahead of you. I had 3 insecure this morning, all Adobe. As much as I downloaded updates and rebooted and rescanned, it still showed as insecure. So, I cleared out the lot, READER AIR ACTIVEX YOU NAME IT, including going into C drive Windows System 32, and deleting the Flash 10b and 10c. They were getting on my nerves! I will know when I need to install Adobe again, until then good riddance to the lot of them.

Have 2 appointments today so dashing off. Will try Yahoo later. That is another thing I should delete. Getting a bit cavaliere with that delete button, aren't I? :)

Valerie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Google Chrome 2.0.172.33
Expert Contributor 31st Jul, 2009 23:13
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
I've been using Chrome for about six months now...quick,less complicated and clean. No crashes: in fact no problems at all come to mind.The version I've got is 2.0.181.1 running on Windows Home Vista. I've been more wary of where visiting for the last couple of months...with the vulnerabilities already well documented by Secunia. It's been really easy, to get along with.....and the speed !!!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Aug, 2009 13:20
Last edited on 2nd Aug, 2009 13:21
duplicated
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Last edited on 2nd Aug, 2009 13:21
duplicated twice!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
MOGS. That is very interesting about Chrome. I see it is a different version to that I initially referred to. Maybe it has improved.

Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 2nd Aug, 2009 16:42
The version available seems to be dependant 'pon who you use for the download ( tho' I'm not absolutely certain ). The one I'm using at present, I think I obtained direct from Google, after having been running the Beta. I think it's brilliant.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Google Chrome 2.0.172.33
Expert Contributor 2nd Aug, 2009 23:45
Score: 2371
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Chrome v2.0.181.1 is an "old" Beta & has "probably" been caught up to by the latest "stable/nonBeta" which is v2.0.172.39.

The latest Beta's are v3.0 ; you can find nearly all of them at the Google Chrome website or at FileHippo .

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 3rd Aug, 2009 12:49
on 2nd Aug, 2009 23:45, Anthony Wells wrote:
Chrome v2.0.181.1 is an "old" Beta & has "probably" been caught up to by the latest "stable/nonBeta" which is v2.0.172.39.

The latest Beta's are v3.0 ; you can find nearly all of them at the Google Chrome website or at FileHippo .

Thanks very much for the info....much appreciated. I hav'nt been looking into the matter at any depth recently....just checking for update via Tools/About Chrome, on the browser: maybe I should look at newer Beta versions ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 3rd Aug, 2009 13:03
on 3rd Aug, 2009 12:49, mogs wrote:
Thanks very much for the info....much appreciated. I hav'nt been looking into the matter at any depth recently....just checking for update via Tools/About Chrome, on the browser: maybe I should look at newer Beta versions ?

Have since uninstalled and re-installed version 2.0.172.39

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
zardoz2 RE: Google Chrome 2.0.172.33
Member 5th Sep, 2009 19:43
User Since: 24th Jan 2009
you have to manually delete the Macrovision flash and install adobe flash. you must quit secunia when you uninstall as Secunia PSI uses flash.

I had the same PPT viewer problem...I will check back to see if I noted how to fix (I have a bunch of computers and so usually note problem apps like that).
Was this reply relevant?
+0
zardoz2 RE: Google Chrome 2.0.172.33
Member 5th Sep, 2009 19:43
User Since: 24th Jan 2009
you have to manually delete the Macrovision flash and install adobe flash. you must quit secunia when you uninstall as Secunia PSI uses flash.

I had the same PPT viewer problem...I will check back to see if I noted how to fix (I have a bunch of computers and so usually note problem apps like that).
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Factsheets
Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability