Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Startup?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
eDOC786 Startup?
Member 22nd Jul, 2009 02:23
Ranking: 0
User Since: 17th Jul, 2009
System Score: N/A
Hi there,

Once a machine is ready with all i.e the OS, appls installed, is it necessary to set Secunia PSI checked on startup in msconfig?

What's the real purpose of PSI real time running.......if needed it can always be started from its short cut or Start> Programs?

Hoping to hear from you,

Regards!

--
Dell XPS 1710 Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP2 with Logitech Comfy Laser KB & mouse.

Sony Vaio VGC-LS1 Desktop XP MCE 2005 SP3, Logitech Quick cam Pro 9000.

Both with IE 8 & FF 3.5.1, Avast4.8, MBAM, Spywareblaster & Secunia PSI 1.5.

Doc.

magicool1 RE: Startup?
Member 22nd Jul, 2009 09:39
Score: 0
User Since: 8th Feb 2008
PSI 'Real Time' is so that it can scan your OS for up-to-the-minute, 'Out of Date' and 'End of Line' software, that might - potentially - become a threat or a risk to your PC security. However, depending on your PC's other security set-up's, it's up to you and your level of personal paranoia to decide, when enough is enough!

If your PC is old and slow, or just slow, yes, the more security items you have running will protect it. But - and it's a big but - the more security you have running at any one time, will - without doubt slow your PC down. Certainly you may have a created a super safe environment, but - here's that but again - what is the point in having a super secure system, if it's knock on effect is to make it too slow to be a pleasure to use?!

Personally I don't have PSI set up to run continuously. I let it check the system every three to four weeks. My system stays at a 100% so I feel I must be doing something right. Also I have found, on the odd occasion, in between using PSI you should use the on-line Secunia. Each have a tendency to either miss or catch things that the other has missed, strangely.

My set up is as follows:
WinXP SP3 (all the latest updates) including Silverlight.
IE7 - I tried IE8 (still too many bugs)
1.25 MB RAM
2 x Internal HDD Master 60GB - Slave 40GB
1 8GB USB Memory Stick - always plugged in
1 External HDD 60GB (For backing up my work)

Security:
AVAST Anti Virus (Free)
ASHAMPOO Firewall (Free)
SPYWARE TERMINATOR (Free - they don't do a paid product, so you're not getting a cut down version)
MALWARE BYTES Anti Malware (Free) Run occasionally.
SPYWARE BLASTER (Free)
DRIVE IMAGE XML (Free) to keep a copy of your main OS HDD, just in case.
CCLEANER (Free) An excellent programme I wouldn't want to be without. Use it daily.
AUSLOGICS Disk-Defrag (Free and fast) Occasional use
AUSLOGICS Reg-Cleaner (Free) Occasional use

I keep my head above water!

Hope this helps

Was this reply relevant?
+0
eDOC786 RE: Startup?
Member 26th Jul, 2009 00:11
User Since: 17th Jul 2009
Security:
AVAST Anti Virus (Free)
ASHAMPOO Firewall (Free)
SPYWARE TERMINATOR (Free - they don't do a paid product, so you're not getting a cut down version)
MALWARE BYTES Anti Malware (Free) Run occasionally.
SPYWARE BLASTER (Free)
DRIVE IMAGE XML (Free) to keep a copy of your main OS HDD, just in case.
CCLEANER (Free) An excellent programme I wouldn't want to be without. Use it daily.
AUSLOGICS Disk-Defrag (Free and fast) Occasional use
AUSLOGICS Reg-Cleaner (Free) Occasional use

Hi there thanks for your reply.

What are the pros of installing all the above except Avast 4.8, Spywareblaster, MBAM?

I use Acronis True Image 2009, NTREGOPT, PD 2009.

CCLEANER, AUSLOGICS REG CLEANER & SPYWARE TERMINATOR?

Hoping to hear the benefits of the above 3.

Regards!

--
Dell XPS 1710 Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP2 with Logitech Comfy Laser KB & mouse.

Doc.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
magicool1 Hi eDOC786
Member 28th Jul, 2009 12:54
Sorry I've been so long getting back to you. Regarding...

"CCLEANER, AUSLOGICS REG CLEANER & SPYWARE TERMINATOR?

Hoping to hear the benefits of the above 3"

I've been using both 'CCLEANER' and 'SPYWARE TERMINATOR' for a few years now. Long enough to have formed an opinion as to their viability and performance, be it good or bad.

Firstly 'CCLEANER' this is as solid as a rock and can be used by anyone. As it's it's both easy to use and the safest security software out there. It doesn't do deep cleaning, it will only remove what it knows is safe to do so. I vocationally do use software that goes deeper, such as 'Advanced System Care'. The reason it isn't included in my list is because I'm wholey convinced that it is completely safe for the inexperienced and as such I wouldn't recommend it! But if anyone is thinking about giving it a try, I suggest setting a 'Restore Point' first. Be safe, not sorry!

But getting back to CCLEANER it is many things all rolled into one. As it says it's a PC cleaning suite. I don't like to sing it's praises too much, in case the makers decide to stop giving it away! However, it will clean out all Microsoft spying 'Index DAT' files. It allows you to edit your 'Start Menu'. You can also remove all the old 'System Restore' points and Windows Update 'Uninstall' file. It's quite surprising just how much space can be recovered by alleviating the PC of all these unnecessary files. It does all this and much, much more, I'll leave the uninitiated to discover the other joys of CCLEANER for themselves!
http://www.piriform.com/

Moving on 'SPYWARE TERMINATOR' to the best of my knowledge, is the first and the only one of it's kind. It is a complete security suite. What it isn't is a freeware version, of a full paid for version. It is free, there is no paid for version. It is also Free for Personal & Commercial Use. You can use the complete suite or just use the bits you want. The optional extras are as follows...
'SYSTEM PROTECT' Prevents system crashes and guards system files and personal data.
'CLAM ANTI-VIRUS' speak's for itself
'WEB SECURITY GUARD' Spyware, Adware, Virus & Spam Prevention
'ONLINE VAULT' It Manages and Generates Passwords
http://www.spywareterminator.com/

Last, but not least 'AUSLOGICS REG CLEANER' as with the 'AUSLOGICS DISK-DEFRAG' over the years I have tried many Reg cleaners and likewise defoggers, but so far these one, for me, outshine the rest. I find them faultless and fast. That's not to say I would use them with making a 'System Restore Point' first. It pays to be cautious. There isn't really anything else I can add, to sing the praises of these software's. They do what they say.
http://www.auslogics.com/en/software (scroll down for the freeware.)

I suppose, at the end of the day, there is no real way of knowing just how good something like this is. The only rule of thumb you can apply to any PC software - unless you're a programmer - is, if after you've used it nothing weird or hinky happens, it must be ok. Although it has to be said when it comes to PC's I am not a rank beginner. I do put in some time trying to help beginners and self confessed PC phobics at the 'PC Advisor' forum 'Helpline' albeit under a different username.

I hope I've helped in some small way. If you have any other questions just ask.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Aug, 2009 21:32
Thanks magicool1 for suggesting some very useful utilities & elaborating indepth their uses.

Regards!

--

Doc.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Aug, 2009 21:54
Hi there magicool1....... again,

1. CCleaner is a very handy utility.

2. Is Spyware Terminator compatible with MBAM & Avast 4.8......Do you have Real Time protection ON.....Do you enable WebGuard & use Crawler Toolbar.....would you care to through some light on the usefulness of them in practical usage......not the google answers?

3. Can one use Auslogics Reg cleaner on a newly installed OS....I mean in the safe recommended mode & not the Advanced one?

Thanks!

--

Doc.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
magicool1 Security
Member 3rd Aug, 2009 11:57
Last edited on 3rd Aug, 2009 12:06
Hi eDOC786

1 - Couldn't agree more.

2 - MBAM doesn't run constantly and as such, yes it is compatible with both 'Spyware Terminator' and 'Avast' and they are compatible with each other. But only if you download the version using the following link http://www.spywareterminator.com/download/download... IGNORE the LARGE YELLOW download BUTTON at the top of the page. Scroll down to where it says 'Download Spyware Terminator 2.3' It isn't the latest version, but it will give you less ear ache and won't be so in your face!
Yes I run both in 'Real Time'.
I don't use 'Web Guard' or 'Crawler'. You can't have one without the other and I prefer not to have too many tool bars. I don't like the clutter and it reduces the viewing area. I don't even have the 'Menu Bar' showing on my browser. I only open it when I need it, which isn't very often. I have the 'Status Bar' and tabs only.
I don't use 'Google' I prefer 'Yahoo!' for searching and I don't use a 'Yahoo!' Search Bar either. I like to buck the trend.

3 - "Can one use Auslogics Reg cleaner on a newly installed OS"
Yes, but if it's newly installed, unless you are frequently 'Installing and un-installing Software'. It shouldn't be necessary yet. Give it a chance to get some junk and clutter in there first! I'm a freeware junkie, but even I don't use 'AusLogics Reg-Cleaner' more than about once a month.
I do however, use 'CCleaner's junk cleaner and Reg-Cleaner' DAILY! Two or three times. If you want to keep your registry from getting cluttered at all, then you couldn't do better than using CCleaner, it's ultra safe. Even so, when it offers to do a save point before cleaning always say yes. In fact before making any changes on your PC, creating 'Save Points' is a habit you should let yourself get into. You can never be too safe.

In view of what you last said, regarding your OS being 'newly installed'. I feel I would be derelict in my duty if I didn't say or try to get you to do a complete system back-up now while your OS is still pristine.
I am currently using the following Free software 'Paragon 2010' it can be obtained from... http://www.techmixer.com/free-paragon-system-backu... It is only being issued Free for a short time (with a license). So my advice to you and everyone else is grab it while you can. A system back-up is the ultimate peace of mind.

Any other questions, just ask and I'll help you if I can.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Hi eDOC786
Expert Contributor 3rd Aug, 2009 17:08
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Afternoon magicool!
I read your recommendations/praises the other day, whilst just browsing the forum....I already had CCleaner installed : but was impressed with what you had to say regarding both the Auslogic apps. Since installed both
and more than satisfied with the outcome. Thanks.

Toshiba Satellite/VistaHomePremium/IE8/Chrome default.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
magicool1 RE: Security
Member 3rd Aug, 2009 17:48
Hi MOGS

Thanks for that, glad to be of assistance.

M1
Was this reply relevant?
+0
eDOC786 RE: Security
Member 4th Aug, 2009 05:33
Last edited on 4th Aug, 2009 05:35
Thanks magicool1 for your indepth reply.

Could you care to answer to another thread of mine...."Strange after Image Restore"

Regards,

Doc.

--

Doc.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+