xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Internet Explorer 8 opens and then closes immediately--flash acti...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
And, this specific program:

This thread has been marked as locked.
dengan Internet Explorer 8 opens and then closes immediately--flash activeX requires IE8
Member 31st Jul, 2009 22:57
Ranking: 0
User Since: 21st Dec, 2007
System Score: N/A
Hi
I've had a problem with Internet Explorer 8 ever since one of Norton's Indian techs tried to allow him to see my computer from his machine. Internet Explorer 8 will open quickly and close right away. Microsoft's solution one wanted to click on the tools but I can't even get to that as it closes right away and the second solution was to remove IE 8 with Add/Remove Programs but a list of updates to IE come along with the main download and warns not to do it (I wouldn't know which ones to remove as it is very confusing)--I can't remember the exact wording.
What I did was to redownload IE 8 and then reinstalled over the old IE 8.
Still had the same problem.
Now what this is all about is the the Flash update requires IE to be open to get the activeX fixed. I can see the same thing happening when I click "download solution", that is, IE 8 opening and closing quickly.
The forums for IE 8 show other people having the same problem but I don't see a good answer for me.
Any help would be appreciated.
Dennis

bjm__ RE: Internet Explorer 8 opens and then closes immediately--flash activeX requires IE8
Member 31st Jul, 2009 23:26
Score: 64
User Since: 9th Mar 2009
System Score: 100%
Dennis,

Please help me understand what is going on. Did you install a Flash Player update. What was the issue that brought you to Norton for help. If you want to access Internet Options without opening IE. Try Control Panel > Internet Options. I have not read IE8 Forums as yet. But, will try and find what you are referencing. What precipitated this event. Have you tried opening IE without add-ons. If you need to disable Flash add-ons. You can via Control Panel > Internet Options. If IE8 is unstable you can reset IE to default conditions. I don't know if IE was working for you and then for no apparent reason IE became unstable. If it has something to do with the recent Flash Player update. I've installed the Update as per required procedure and my IE8 is OK. Please post back with more info. Microsoft offers free phone support for IE8 through the end of the year.
(866) 234-6020. Please post back...

Regards
bjm-
Was this reply relevant?
+0
dengan RE: Internet Explorer 8 opens and then closes immediately--flash activeX requires IE8
Member 1st Aug, 2009 00:54
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Hi bjm
What I was doing was trying to install the Flash Player update for the activeX message--Adobe Flash Player 10.x (activeX Control) Version detected 10.0.22.87. This installation of adobe Flash Player 10.x (active control) is insecure.
The reason I talked about Norton Anti Virus was I had a red X on that program and I sought help. One of their techs from India suggested I allow him to be able to see my computer on his. After I got through with him I found that I could no longer get Internet Explorer 8 to open properly.
I did what you suggested about looking at Internet Options but I cannot determine which item I should be selecting to inactivate. This forum doesn't seem to allow attaching a file to it. I used Snag-It to show the list within the Internet Options but I can't show you without an attachment.
My problem has nothing to do with the latest Flash Player updates as it predates them.
One thing I should note is that I have Firefox with the add-on whereby you can switch to IE mode. If I knew the website URL for this update I could go to it within the IE mode and do the update (I tried looking in the adobe.com website but couldn't find it). I have done things on the Microsoft website and there has been no problem as it thinks I'm using Internet Explorer. THIS WOULD BE THE BEST SOLUTION as it would allow me to limp along without Internet Explorer for now. So if you can provide that URL I should be able to do the update.
Thanks for your help.
Dennis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bjm__ RE: Internet Explorer 8 opens and then closes immediately--flash activeX requires IE8
Member 1st Aug, 2009 19:25
Last edited on 1st Aug, 2009 19:47
Dennis,
This issue is addressed in many threads. See Third Party Programs > Flash Player
Flash Player old version must be uninstalled using Uninstall Tool before installing new version.
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html
Read instructions
Run Tool twice and reboot.
Then go here for new Flash Player http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
chose your operating system or browser..download/save > close all open apps and install new version.
Different Flash Player install for IE and FF. So you will need to download/save for IE and for FF.
Does your PSI still scan?
Scan before and after Uninstall to confirm old version is gone.
Scan to confirm new version.
Must remove all remnants from old version first. That is critical.
Other issue with IE. Maybe IE has become unstable with your attempt to install Flash Player. Have no way of knowing what you did and how.
Have no way of knowing what effect overwriting IE8 had.
If IE issue unstable persists. Usual first fix suggestion from Microsoft is to reset IE. Your call here: Call Microsoft or try ~ Control Panel > Network and Internet > Internet Options > Advanced Tab > Reset Internet Explorer Settings. Your settings will revert to default so you will have to check all your settings and add-ons. If your uneasy with this. Microsoft will help you for free with IE8 issues. Call # in previous post. I know Norton gave you some grief. Not sure what happened with Norton. Sometimes just calling Norton and speaking with another tech helps. IE issues if you need help. Help is available for free. Uncertain if you have to first resolve IE or Flash Player. Can you Scan with PSI. PSI uses IE and Flash Player to display animated barber polls.
Post back
Regards
bjm-
click on links or use copy/paste for links or just type into address bar.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Aug, 2009 19:42
Dennis
If you want the Forum to view an image. Try www.imagehost.org
capture image and upload to imagehost. imagehost will create link for your image that you can paste to message.
You are running PSI 1.5 correct?
Regards
bjm-
Was this reply relevant?
+0
dengan RE: Internet Explorer 8 opens and then closes immediately--flash activeX requires IE8
Member 1st Aug, 2009 21:39
Hi bjm
First of all here are three Snag-It's:
[url=http://a.imagehost.org/view/0837/First_group][img]... [url=http://a.imagehost.org/view/0687/Second_group][img... [url=http://a.imagehost.org/view/0093/Insecure_Adobe_Fl...

I copied and pasted the "Forum Links" section. I hope these are big enough to be readable. If it is readable, can you determine one or more that should be deactivated as they may be causing this problem caused by the Norton tech.

I am using the latest version of Secunia PSI 1.5 and it still scans properly.
I tried your suggestion for Resetting Internet Explorer but the results are still the same as it opens and closes immediately.

I didn't want to use that tool for removing flash player as it removes both Internet Explorer and Firefox so I tried just installing the Internet Explorer using that switch I mentioned previously that Firefox add-ons can do. I got a message about a system error so I guess the old version has to be removed first. Previously to this last flash correction needed, I had two others and they were corrected by the "Download Solutions" method that's why I didn't want to use the "Uninstall Tool" that you suggested.

I was hoping to be able to use the "Download Solution" in the Secunia program since it seems to be able to uninstall the old and install the new--the webpage you gave me for the new flash player doesn't seem to do this.
Like you said, I may have to call Microsoft to get my problem solved. Is that number you gave me like an 800 number where it is free?
Dennis
ps You said "Maybe IE hs become unstable with your attempt to install flash player". No, IE was doing this before I tried anything with the Secunia corrections.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Aug, 2009 22:33
Last edited on 1st Aug, 2009 23:11
Dennis
I just re-read your original Post...is Norton still showing redX. I have Norton Internet Security. Where is the redX. Is your Norton AV not working?
As Norton Support created this issue. Go back to Norton. They have always helped me out. Maybe you just got the wrong tech. Try again and explain how IE was OK until Norton got to it and redX.
Good Luck post back if you want
What is Microsoft solution one?
What Forums show same issue?

If IE8 was unstable before Flash Player...then I would address IE8 issue first.
You must use Flash Uninstaller Tool and reboot before install of new version of Flash Player to remove old IE ActiveX. Flash 10b.ocx is the IE ActiveX. Open Windows Explorer and follow Installation Path C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\Flash10b.ocx and delete as this goes with old version of Flash Player. Like I tried to explain the Tool with reboot is the best way to Uninstall Flash Player. You sent snagit of your add-ons. Did you find Advanced Tab for Internet Properties and see Reset Internet Explorer Settings > Reset (not Restore Advanced settings which you can also do). If you cannot Restore Advanced Settings or cannot Reset Internet Explorer Settings. Then IE is unstable for some reason.
As you can scan with PSI and see green polls then IE and Flash are functional as PSI uses IE and Flash. But, you have some instability with IE. Have you tried to open IE with Run As Administator or open IE No add-ons. All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > IE No add-ons. Are you the only user. What processes does Task Manager show running. Have you scanned with Norton from Safe Mode. Or Safe Mode with Networking to see if IE will open.
Lots of things to try.
One call to Microsoft may be best for you. They have weekend hours not sure exactly of times.
Regards
bjm- post back and try Reset Internet Settings...I imagine that's what Microsoft will tell you.
Have you tried to reset Norton Firewall
With regard to you not wanting to use Tool because it will remove Flash in FF and IE. That's exactly what you need to do. Then and only then install Flash for IE and Flash for FF. So, resolve Flash for FF and work on IE or work on IE and then do Flash Update as I have explained. The screen shot you sent only showed IE Flash .ocx. FF Flash is .dll. FF Flash is General Plug In and IE Flash is ActiveX

from another Secunia thread

User Since: 23rd Dec, 2007

Secunia System Score: 100%

Location: Ont. , CA How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control
Due to recent enhancements to the Adobe Flash Player installers, you can now remove the player only by using the Adobe Flash Player uninstaller. To remove Flash Player, simply download and run the appropriate uninstaller for your system using the steps below.

1.Download the Adobe Flash Player uninstaller:
• Windows: uninstall_flash_player.exe (205 KB) (updated 7/30/09)

Read Note:

--
1. Windows 7, 32bit, 4GB RAM, Browser Defender™
2. XP Pro SP3, 32bit, 768MB RAM, Finjan SecureBrowsing
with IE8, avast! anti virus, MBAM, Microsoft Security Essentials, WinPatrol PLUS
ReplyQuote

rtrooney
RE: Adobe Flash Player Update

by rtrooney on 1st Aug, 2009 22:36

User Since: 13th Jun, 2008

Secunia System Score: N/A

Location: N/A Running the update patch hasn't worked for me. Deleting both Adobe Flash Player and the Active-X control via Control Panel|Add Remove Programs, then running a clean install of Flash Player is the only thing that works for me.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Aug, 2009 23:18
Last edited on 1st Aug, 2009 23:21
Dennis

more info from Secunia
__________________________________________________ ____________________
by Maurice Joyce on 31st Jul, 2009 09:50

User Since: 4th Jan, 2009

Secunia System Score: 100%

Location: Salisbury, UK U do not mention what browser U are using. It certainly clears the insecurity with Windows XP using IE8 but like most things Adobe life is not made easy for users.
I used this method (& always do because of Adobe dross).

To remove all versions of Flash from the C drive of your PC:

1. Download & use the flash Uninstaller from here:

2. Reboot to clear out any left over ocx files.

3. Rescan using PSI - if there are any insecure Flash elements left what is the path to them? (The overview page may look a little odd because it uses Flash for the pictorials)

Note: At this stage,if PSI finds any elements of Flash in the C:\i386 folder or on any drive other than C that is an OEM reinstallation partition (normally D drive) or a drive U use solely to backup your work U can safely create an ignore rule.

4. Reinstall the latest Internet Explorer Flash Player from here:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=BUIGP

3A.If U are also using Firefox, Opera and other Gecko-based browsers U need this link as well:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

5. Go to add/remove & U will find Adobe have installed a Download Manager - Just remove it.

--
Maurice

HP Intel Pentium 4
Windows XP Home SP3
IE8
__________________________________________________ _______________
Regards
bjm-
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Aug, 2009 00:45
Hi bjm
Your question about Norton Anti Virus:
The X appears on the Norton icon in the taskbar and pretty well blots out the Norton screen when you open it up. There's a link you click on to Norton and that's what I did to get a Tech to talk to. He suggested that I allow him to look into my computer but whatever was going on he said he couldn't do it. He suggested I contact Symantec and "pay" for help. I believe there was an Internet Explorer page open but it didn't look as it normally does. I told him that my Comodo firewall had the same error message the day after Microsoft had done its updates (that's two times ago) and Comodo gave a message about rebooting to fix the problem and I did and it fixed Comodo. I said I was going to try rebooting and see what happened to the Red X on Norton Anti Virus. I guess he wasn't too happy with that and cut the connection. Anyway, I did reboot and the Red X has turned to a Green check mark. I've scanned weekly since then with no apparent problems with Norton Anti Virus.

Microsoft's solution one is to open up Internet Explorer and then click on Tools. How can you do that if IE 8 opens and closes so that solution was no good.

I've tried other times with Symantec's help and its not an easy road to follow. Read the FAQ's first and its never there than you have to try to get help. I don't like it so I'm not going to follow that route.

I just did a Google search and looked at a couple of them. The one that linked to Microsoft was the one that I thought was suitable but like I said previously solution one didn't make sense and solution two seemed to imply that you should know which updates you could remove without causing problems (I had no idea) so I left that alone. My only solution seemed to be to reinstall over the original. I did use the RESET but not for the Advanced as I have never done changes within that section.

I am the administrator but not set up like that as I'm the sole user.

Tried the IE No Add-ons, same result open and close.

Norton scanning properly, didn't need safe mode to do it.

I opened up process explorer procexp.exe but couldn't see anything unusual that the Norton Tech had added but it could be in all of those svhost items labelled Microsoft.

I'm using the Comodo firewall, not Norton and I explained about it previously.

Yes about the screen shot showing IE only. I had already used the "download solution" to fix two other flash problems and they had been corrected so what you saw in the Snag-It was the remaining problem.

So what I'm going to do now is follow your suggestion to download the Flash uninstaller and then run it. If it uninstalls the IE flash problem as shown by PSI then well and good. I will then reinstall only the Firefox flash as I'm not using Internet Explorer 8 anyway. I only installed it to see whether Microsoft had gotten any better as compared to Firefox.

And thanks for you patience and help. I may or may not contact Microsoft as I don't really need IE 8.
Dennis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Aug, 2009 02:26
Dennis,
I understand we all have a different comfort and experience level with computers.

I am concerned that something X'd your AV and made your FW take notice.
I hope what ever it was is resolved.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/ is a free On-demand malware scanner recommended by Norton and Microsoft. Download/Install check for Updates and run a Full Scan. In Safe Mode if your familiar with Safe Mode. If not just a Full Scan with all programs closed. Just as a backstop check to your Norton Scans. Full Scan may take an hour. After that a weekly Quick Scan is OK.

The free phone support for IE8 is good through the end of the year. I know u use FF. Still good to know IE will work if you ever need it.
When and if you feel ready you may want to try the Advanced Tab option Reset Advanced Options and see if that helps. Then Reset Internet Explorer Settings and see if that helps. The free support will help you get IE8 up and running. They have the free support because the browser is new and needs tweaking sometimes. I wonder if you have IE8 Compatibility Mode set up to use Updates. There have been several updates issued since IE8 for compatibility issues with older web pages. Maybe that's why page would not display. I have several friends that had that same issue. Unable to open some page. They did not have Compatibility Mode set up to use the updates. A simple check box and all was resolved.

Don't know if you used Symantec Chat or Live Phone Support.
www.service.symantec.com/priority will get u a service Ticket number to use when u call Symantec free Support number 800 745 6061
You paid for a subscription and they offer free help.
Symantec also has a Community Forum for help.

Well post back if u want. The Flash issue is a common issue. The Uninstaller Tool is just something u learn from experience. Also, going directly to the vendor site for updates. That works better for some vendors then using the PSI fix which is great but, as I've seen every time Flash Player gets an update the Forum gets the same questions. Some programs like Java and Adobe just can't be overwritten for all updates and they leave remnants from the old version. Secunia can't make the vendors improve their update process. So, with experience we all learn.
Good luck and reply if u want
Regards
bjm-
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Aug, 2009 07:57
Last edited on 2nd Aug, 2009 08:04
Dennis,
Just to clarify ... the reason to scan in Safe Mode is u can get a deeper scan. Scanning running processes are not as easy as scanning with the least amount of background activity. A good deep scan > disconnect PC from your modem or router > safe mode and run Norton or other scanner.

Forgot to offer
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default... ~ Microsoft run Forum. May get help posting your IE issue there.

If u can get to IE through FF...check your Compatibility Mode settings. I run FF but I'm not familiar with the add-on to switch to IE. I'll have to check it out.

Your PSI will look different without IE Flash Player. No green bars. PSI gets to Secunia server via IE and Flash Player presents the animation. PSI will be just as functional just look different.

Regards
bjm-
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Aug, 2009 08:11
Last edited on 2nd Aug, 2009 08:14
Dennis,
Check out this Secunia threads...maybe u already have.

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/240...

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/240...

bjm-
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Aug, 2009 22:11
Hi bjm
I used the uninstaller last night before turning off the computer and ran Secunia PSI today. No issues but because I don't have the flash for IE I no longer can see the graph at the bottom but no loss.

In reference to "something X'd your AV and made your FW take notice", the comodo firewall actually had an X on it the day before Norton AV. I rebooted and the Comodo firewall fixed itself (it has had a green check mark ever since). The Norton AV Red X came up the next day and if I hadn't gotten involved with Symantec and just rebooted I probably would still have IE.

These X's appeared the next day after Microsoft did its updates. That's maybe two or three updates ago. I'm now thinking to myself was IE working at all after the updates as I don't use it every day. The only way to fix it will be to telephone Microsoft like you suggested but I really don't want to get into a lengthy telephone hold trying to explain this. I'll do without. I installed apple's Safari so I have a backup browser just in case but will continue to use Firefox as my main browser.

I doubt if I have malware on my computer as Norton Anti Virus runs clean. I just did its weekly AV check and it came up with a tracking cookie and that's all. I use Windows Defender as a secondary check also and it never finds anything.

I will try resetting the Advanced Tab Options like you suggested but I wonder if this will change anything as I have never made any changes within that section.

Where is the Compatibility Mode check box located?

I'm not going to call Symantec about this as all they are going to do is say its Microsoft's fault. That's what that Indian Tech I talked to seemed to intimate.

If you have somebody at Microsoft, you might want to pass this thread to them so that they may have an idea that people are having problems with IE 8. I forgot to mention that during my google search for "IE8 Opening and Closing" I found other links to Internet Explorer 7 doing the same thing. So, something is going wrong but I don't think Microsoft knows what.
Thanks for your help.
Dennis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Aug, 2009 23:22
Last edited on 2nd Aug, 2009 23:36
Dennis
Happy to hear you're making progress.

I have seen numerous posts on
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default...
about IE8 problems. You may wish to read some of the Internet Explorer posts. Or, post your own question. Need to register or use your Windows Live ID. You will find the Reset Internet Explorer Settings is a common answer. May not always help but, it's just a common answer. Forum works just like this one. You post and are email'd when someone posts. I used my hotmail/Windows Live email account because it's Microsoft. I imagine any email client will be OK.

I've called for IE8 help and it was no big deal. What ever you feel comfortable with.

What else? Oh! Compatibility Mode ~ Tools > Compatibility Settings
http://a.imagehost.org/view/0963/Compatibilty_View
First and Third Checkbox Check'd

What else? Oh! Advanced Option Tab ~ Tools > Internet Options > Advanced
http://a.imagehost.org/view/0342/Internet_Options_...

Regards
bjm_

Keep forgetting to ask ..what is the FF add-on u use to render IE. Does it actually open IE from FF. Is IE fully open and functional with this add-on. Or, are pages just made IE compatible to work through FF.

One last thought...what is your homepage when trying to open IE. Is it possible trying a different homepage via Control Panel > Internet Options will change you issue. I guess not since IE was working up to some recent updates. My update history since IE8 install shows several Compatibility Updates and Security Updates for IE8. Just thinking??

Regards post back with name of FF add-on. I'd like to try it.
bjm-
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Aug, 2009 00:31
Hi bjm
Actually, now that you showed the image of compatibility mode I have seen that before. With my situation, it would appear that you have to have a functioning IE to be able to open up "Tools". I looked at it from the Control Panel > Internet Settings but couldn't see it.

The Advanced Reset would be possible but I was questioning why it would do anything since I've never made any changes in that section.

It's called IE Tab. You left click the Firefox icon just above the taskbar and it opens IE below the firefox section (headings, etc.) I mentioned previously that I was able to use it when going on Microsoft websites and they are checking to see if you have a valid Windows machine. I think I used it when I got Windows Defender. I also have Roboform for filling in passwords and the funny thing about it is when you do the IE Tab the Roboform toolbar appears down at the bottom-works though.

I will have to go to the Microsoft forum you suggested as they may be able to help there.
Again, thanks for your help
Dennis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Aug, 2009 01:55
Dennis

I though maybe IE Tab was able to open a fully functioning IE browser window. I'll have to play with it. I've seen the add-on just never knew what I would do with it. I'll try it for fun.

You would need access to Tools for Compatibility Settings.

I know your thinking why "Reset" when u didn't do anything. But, the option is there if the Browser becomes Unstable. After I installed IE8 I realized I could not keep my Security Settings at default. I would change setting to default. Close and open IE and IE Security was at Custom Setting. Why..who knows. Well, the fix was Reset Internet Explorer Settings. After "Reset" I was able to set my Security Setting and manage add-ons.
Take care...
Nice to visit with ya
bjm-
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Internet Explorer 8 opens and then closes immediately--flash activeX requires IE8
Expert Contributor 3rd Aug, 2009 12:14
Score: 2429
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 3rd Aug, 2009 12:32
If it helps :-

I have the open/instant close problem with IE7. I use Ff v3.5.1
with the "IE Tab" add-on .
I download the ActiveX IE Flash installer using Firefox (as Firefox) from the Adobe website ; because using the PSI "down load solution" , it tries to download the installer using IE - this does not work as IE7 will not load - for me .

Before you "run" the installer make sure all browsers are closed and CLOSE & EXIT all programmes which use Adobe ActiveX and this means PSI - if you don't exit PSI then .ocx version c will load but it will not remove version b .**

This way PSI & any other programmes that need it can use the flash ActiveX component , even if IE7/8 are faulty -
at least thet is how it works for me.

A full uninstall using the Adobe tool is not a bad thing if you have never cleaned up before .

The latest Flash/Shockwave & Air installers seem to work well IF you follow the rught rules.

I have not found out how to rest IE7 without removing SP3 from XP & IE8 won't load either , so I'm OK asis .

Just my personal experience/work around with a similar problem .

**PS: the b version is normally removed after a reboot .

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Aug, 2009 18:45
Last edited on 4th Aug, 2009 00:46
Anthony Wells,

Yes, your post does help.
I was trying to help Dennis with IE Open/Close issue and Flash Player issue. I believe he has resolved Flash Player issue. The Flash Player is a common issue (as u know) so I was able to offer the steps to fix it. I run Vista IE8 and FF. I have not had any IE7 or 8 Open/Close issues with XP or Vista. Just lucky I guess. Interesting that the issue effects IE7 also. I wonder if issue is only an XP issue. Odd, only some PC's affected. Don't recall if I ever asked Dennis XP or Vista. I was focused on IE8 (and helping with Flash Player).
Dennis fixed Flash. IE ???
Have you tried...
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/news...

Regards ~ Thanks
bjm-

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Aug, 2009 21:40
Hi Anthony & bjm
I am using XP. I haven't as yet done the reset for the advanced section. I looked at about 10 pages in the forum you suggested. I noticed on one post that the moderator suggested that XP problems were better fixed on an Microsoft site for XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/news...
I had a quick look but will have to go back later for a more detailed check.
Like Anthony said this problem goes back to IE7 so I guess Microsoft is having difficulty determining what to do to correct it.
Dennis

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Aug, 2009 00:41
Dennis,
That was entirely my fault. I just assumed you were running Vista. So, I was pointing u to Vista Help. Sorry!!!
Happy to hear u found XP Help Site.

Adobe issues are all resolved ...??
Hope so.
Get rid of Adobe Reader and use Foxit Reader. I resisted the switch to Foxit Reader but, am very very happy I did.
Flash Player is secure for now and don't no of any replacement.
If there were a replacement I'd toss Adobe Flash like I tossed Adobe Reader.
Again, sorry I was offering Vista Help site when u have XP.
IE8 free Phone Support is still an option. Vista or XP.
Since issue has been around since IE7 maybe not worth the effort. Just seemed as long as Microsoft was offering free Help for IE8. What could it hurt.
Regards
bjm-
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Aug, 2009 01:04
Hi bjm
The Flash issues are closed since I didn't try to install for IE8. I don't know if I will have a problem with not having it as a few year's ago Norton Anti Virus was depending upon it. I remember having a devil of a time with it. (Again, I had a problem with Internet Explorer back then.) The last time I got an upgrade for Norton Anti Virus for free and they downloaded it to my computer. All I was paying for was the daily updates. I guess they wanted everybody to have the latest version.

No problem with the Vista vs XP confusion. I guess I should have mentioned it also.

I'll keep looking for a solution for my problems and if I find something I'll post back but don't hold your breath.
Dennis

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Aug, 2009 01:18
Dennis,
Makes sense that Norton wanted U to have latest version. With every update/upgrade/SP to Vista and XP and IE and FF etc. Norton has to make it's products compatible.
Having the latest Norton version with all updates and patches is necessary to protect U.
Having the latest of any Security app is necessary to protect U.

Regards
bjm-
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Internet Explorer 8 opens and then closes immediately--flash activeX requires IE8
Expert Contributor 4th Aug, 2009 15:47
Last edited on 4th Aug, 2009 15:49
Hi Dennis & bjm

A minor point , but as I understand it the ActiveX version of Flash is "used" by IE and "used" by other programmes such as PSI , whilst Firefox for example "uses" the General plug-in . As I have no problem with the ActiveX version as such (installer downloaded using Firefox) I would "guess" that Dennis could (try to) install it as well . The browsers are closed during install & provided the IE tab in Ff still works there is no loss for now . The Adobe uninstaller should still work if needed .

My IE7 problem becoming a major one coincided with & seemed to be aggravated by a couple of horrendous tries to download IE8 (FWIW it also tried to kill Explorer & various start up .dll's)

I have Chrome as my back up.

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Aug, 2009 23:03
Hi Anthony
I tried to install it using the IE Tab but I get a message "Operating System Error" with some long number after it.
I had tried it before and got the same error message but couldn't remember the sequence, therefore, tried it again.
Dennis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Aug, 2009 00:00
Last edited on 5th Aug, 2009 00:29
Hi Dennis ,

I don't use the IE tab for downloads other than when at MS updates when it is essential , or you have to use Ff to locate the KB and manually download & patch (as a non techie , not worth the hassle).

All other installers I download with Firefox as Firefox & this applies to the ActiveX / IE installer . Save it , close everything that could use Flash such as browsers , PSI (there is a list of possible programmes you should "quit" on the Adobe website , where it is telling you what to do before you "run"the installer) & then run the installer .

It could work .

Hi bjm

anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Aug, 2009 00:30
Hi Anthony
I used the following link from an earlier post:
Reinstall the latest Internet Explorer Flash Player from here:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=BUIGP

I'm using Firefox so it detects the download page that I should be using--that is, it shows Firefox.

That's why I used IE Tab because it will show Internet Explorer as the download.

Click on that link to see what I mean. Since you're using Firefox it will list Firefox and a few other browsers but not IE. If you have a better solution or website could you please post back.
Thanks
Dennis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Aug, 2009 00:50
Last edited on 5th Aug, 2009 00:52
OK staying all the time in Firefox (but the same applies to Chrome) ; near the top of the page , which your link for the Ff installer opens , is the (blue) link "different operating system or browser?" - click this & on the new page which opens use the drop down menu to select your OS ( ../XP/..) & click "continue" . The next page has probably already pre-selected Flash Player 10 for Windows Internet Explorer ( if not , that's what you need) . Stay in Firefox as you are & press "agree & install now .

Select your place of installation , close / Quit everything you can safely close & "run" !!

PS: any browser will show/load any installer in most cases & certainly in Adobe.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Aug, 2009 01:30
Hi Anthony
Hey, I got the download. Just have to install it. That was a great tip!
Dennis
ps I've just read an interesting article about the swine flu that you might like to read (the video within it is 16 minutes long if you want to skip it.)
http://www.jonbarron.org/baseline-health-program/2...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Aug, 2009 18:30

Hi Dennis & bjm ,

Hope the install goes/went OK . Another small piece in the jigsaw of Windows - hope it fits !!

Good luck with IE , I'm no help to you there .

Thanks for the swine flu link - I'm in Europe so I'll see how the two sides' info stack up (when I can get a spare moment).

Take care
Anthony.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Aug, 2009 22:16
Hi Anthony & bjm
I just ran PSI and there is a new version of Firefox 3.5.2 out otherwise I would be green on the graph (now working thanks to Anthony).
So let me say thanks to both of you as I probably won't need any more help.
Dennis
ps I'm in Canada
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Aug, 2009 18:23
Last edited on 6th Aug, 2009 18:27
Nice place to be Dennis , lived in TO for awhile .

My last/"ex" dog was French/Canadian , a beautiful chocolate brown Terre Neuve/Newfoundland , just like his Mum & more likely him than me that made the installer work :-o))

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability