Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Unable to locate appropriate browser

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
OSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Trino Unable to locate appropriate browser
Member 3rd Aug, 2009 17:05
Ranking: 0
User Since: 3rd Aug, 2009
System Score: N/A
I installed Secunia a month or two ago and cleaned up everything. Until yesterday, I was 100% OK.

Today, I find that 8 of the corrected items are suddenly showing as uncorrected. When I attempt to open the solution button I receive a message: Unable to locate an appropriate browser for the requested URL.

I have been using Internet Explorer 8 for quite a while & Secunia worked perfectly fine. I have checked and IE 8 remains my default broswer.

So I now have 8 open errors, some adobe and some Micrsoft Internet Explorer 8, and no way to correct them because the URLs won't open.

bjm__ RE: Unable to locate appropriate browser
Member 3rd Aug, 2009 19:54
Score: 64
User Since: 9th Mar 2009
System Score: 100%
on 3rd Aug, 2009 17:05, Trino wrote:
I installed Secunia a month or two ago and cleaned up everything. Until yesterday, I was 100% OK.

Today, I find that 8 of the corrected items are suddenly showing as uncorrected. When I attempt to open the solution button I receive a message: Unable to locate an appropriate browser for the requested URL.

I have been using Internet Explorer 8 for quite a while & Secunia worked perfectly fine. I have checked and IE 8 remains my default broswer.

So I now have 8 open errors, some adobe and some Micrsoft Internet Explorer 8, and no way to correct them because the URLs won't open.

If your IE browser is fully functional otherwise...
Have you verified IE is fully functional otherwise...
Can you access Forum from PSI..If not able to access Forum from PSI or open IE from PSI then
Maybe an uninstall/install of PSI
Assuming your IE is fully functional and Firewall Setting for PSI is OK.
Regards
bjm-
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Trino RE: Unable to locate appropriate browser
Member 4th Aug, 2009 15:14
Score: 0
User Since: 3rd Aug 2009
I have already tried all of your suggestions. The IE 8 works fine in all areas including Secunia except when I attempt to go to the correction button after a scan. What does mean by "appropriate browser?" IE 8 is the only browser I use although I do use it with a VISTA 64 bit system.

However, the SECUNIA program worked OK for weeks and then suddenly this problem arose.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Aug, 2009 09:34
Last edited on 5th Aug, 2009 09:39
Have you tried to link to Forum from PSI.

You have PSI ver 1.5 ?
If all PSI links get "unable to locate appropriate browser" ...
and yet PSI scan still works. Just can't use PSI links.

ask for help from
support@secunia.com
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Aug, 2009 16:53
I do have Version 1.5 installed and, yes, all other parts of the program seem to work OK when the Internet is required. Is there some way in the program to set which browser is supposed to be used by this program? I don't see any input for that.

The failure to connect only happens when I click on the SOLUTION button after a scan.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Aug, 2009 20:12
Trino
It is my indertstanding and experience that PSI is IE based. Meaning it accesses Secunia servers via IE. No option to switch browser. Still have not answered my query about Forum. Or, maybe u have. You have tried and cannot access Forum from PSI?

Again, I would check Interner Options Security and Privacy Settings at default. But I imagine they are as u can run PSI. I would reset Internet Options Advanced Settings to default. But, I imagine they are. I would only reset Internet Explorer settings if IE were Unstable and IE appears stable. Did you unistall PSI ver.1 or overwrite PSI ver.1 with 1.5?
And 1.5 links worked until some recent event. Have u looked at Control Panel > Problem Reports and Solutions.
Can you open Secunia.com from IE. Does it appear normal.
Have u tried
support@secunia.com

Regards
bjm-
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Aug, 2009 16:23
I cannot get into forums by clicking on that item in PSI. HOwever, I can get SECUNIA to scan.

I also notice that I seem to be getting the message "unable to locate browser" followed by "error occured while attempting to open specified URL" very often, In researching this further I notice that in File Associations the current default for the .dll file has changed from unknown application to Internet Explorer. I have tried to reset it but it seems almost impossible to do so.

This may have something to do with the PSI problem as well as a lot of other programs that are giving me the same response. Any ideas on how to change the .dll current default?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Unable to locate appropriate browser
Expert Contributor 7th Aug, 2009 16:31
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 7th Aug, 2009 16:34
You might find some info in this thread to help you:-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/219...

You'll need to scroll through.

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
DAVID BINKO RE: Unable to locate appropriate browser
Member 7th Aug, 2009 23:19
User Since: 23rd Jun 2009
Last edited on 7th Aug, 2009 23:23
I'll keep this short. About a week ago I reinstalled IE8 in XP,sp3. The threat index dropped two levels. I've never experienced the rest, so I will leave it at that. Good Luck.

--
Dave Binko, a.k.a. Crash Computer
Windows XP Home Edition,SP3 (build 2600)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor: 1.9Ghz,896 MB RAM
Micro-Star International, Ltd MS-7253 1.00
Built by RJ Ender, Cedar Rapids, IA, July 2007
O.S. clean installed May 2009 after 2nd crash this year
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability