Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Alternative tto Adobe

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Reader 9.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Tony67 Alternative tto Adobe
Member 5th Aug, 2009 13:46
Ranking: 0
User Since: 1st Apr, 2009
System Score: 99%
I am in the same boat with updating Adobe programs as everyone else.
I had vulnerabilities in the following:
First I uninstalled these programs using add/revove, then a reboot, then ccleaner to clean out old registry values, then reboot, then installed the latest of the following:

Adobe Air
Adobe Reader
Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX
Adobe Flash Player 10 plugin
Adobe ShochWave

After installing Adobe reader 9.1.3, secunia still says that it is INSECURE and Adobe Flash player 10.x(Active X control) is INSECURE, even after installing the updates

I heard that FOXIT READER is better/faster than Adobe reader and is not a resource hog and is less susceptible to vulnerabilities than Adobe.

Can I just uninstall all Adobe programs and install FOXIT READER instead? Is there any alternatives/equivalant programs to Adobe Air, Flash Player, ShochWave? Do I need these programs on my pc for everyday browsing?

Any advice would be welcome - thanks

--
Win 7 sp1 64bit
Firefox 15.01

bjm__ RE: Alternative tto Adobe
Member 5th Aug, 2009 14:44
Score: 64
User Since: 9th Mar 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 5th Aug, 2009 14:47
Hi Tony67,

Now that you have all the Adobe bloatware installed. You wonder if you need it for everyday browsing.
Foxit Reader is a great replacement for Adobe Reader/PDF reader.
Do you need Flash Player. If you want to view Flash content you need it. Flash Player is a cross-platform browser plug-in that delivers breakthrough Web experiences to over 99% of Internet users.
Do you need Shockwave Player. If you want access to 3D games and entertainment, interactive product demonstrations, and online learning applications. Shockwave Player displays Web content that has been created by Adobe Director.
Do you need Adobe Air. Adobe® AIR® is a cross-operating system runtime that lets developers combine HTML, Ajax, Adobe Flash®, and Adobe Flex® technologies to deploy rich Internet applications (RIAs) on the desktop. AIR allows developers to use familiar tools such as Adobe Dreamweaver® CS3, Flex Builder™ 3, Flash CS3 Professional, or any text editor to build their applications and easily deliver a single application installer that works across operating systems.

That said...For basic browsing you probably can get by very well with Foxit Reader and Flash Player. If you come across Web Content that has been created by Adobe Director then you'll need Shockwave Player. If you have a need for Adobe Air I imagine you would have already figured that out.
That said...What do you want to do?

Regards
bjm-
Was this reply relevant?
+0
GPTDesign RE: Alternative tto Adobe
Member 5th Aug, 2009 16:49
Score: 0
User Since: 7th Jun 2008
System Score: N/A
I quite frankly am very sick and tired of going to 4 different computers in our company and finding all Adobe products are now listed as vunerable and insecure. When I try to download the suggested solution to the problem it does the download and "still" the Adobe program is listed as "insecure". This seems to be happening every week with Adobe programs. Worse still is that Adobe products do not seem to have very good ability to update themselves. Most of the time I have to go and "un-install" all the Adobe products and then download them fresh once again from Adobe.com. On todays notification that Adobe products were insecure (Reader/Air/Flash and so forth) I just uninstalled all of them with Add/Remove in the Contol Panel. Then went to Adobe.com and downloaded brand new versions. What do I get in return -- Secunia finds all of them still "insecure". I think Adobe needs to get their act together somehow. I am uninstalling all of their products and switching to "FoxIt" PDF reader and see how that goes for a while. Maybe if enough people do it they will find a better way to provide programs to the public. And for those who say you get what you pay for, I also own Version 9, full Adobe Acrobat program which cost hundred of dollars and it has the same problems. In fact when I go to open a PDF sent to me by email, my $300 Adobe Acrobat program says "sorry" cannot open the PDF. I need to download the "free Adobe Reader" to view the PDF. Now what sense does that make? Fox-It here I come.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Tony67 RE: Alternative tto Adobe
Member 5th Aug, 2009 17:46
User Since: 1st Apr 2009
System Score: 99%
Thanks for the description/explanation of all the Adobe program bjm, it really is useful as to what each of the do.
I think that I will ditch Adobe Reader for Foxit Reader and keep the others installed for now. I might experiment a little and uninstall one by one ans see how my browsing reacts.

Thanks again bjm

--
Win 7 sp1 64bit
Firefox 15.01
Was this reply relevant?
+0
eSKzHvZreJxktYLUd4jN1oy... RE: Alternative tto Adobe
Member 17th Aug, 2009 15:05
Score: -1
User Since: 7th Dec 2009
Quote from http://www.sans.org/newsletters/newsbites/newsbite...

"[Editor's Note (Northcutt): I think organizations should avoid Adobe if possible. Adobe security appears to be out of control, and using their products seems to put your organization at risk. Try to minimize your attack surface. Limit the use of Adobe products whenever you can. ]"

There are lots of other free PDF-readers like Foxit Reader, Sumatra PDF etc. So at least we can do without Adobe Reader. The only Adobe product I currently use is Adobe Flash.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader
http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/ind...
http://pdfreaders.org/
Was this reply relevant?
+0
AndyDap RE: Alternative tto Adobe
Member 21st Aug, 2009 02:22
User Since: 21st Aug 2009
Watch the Foxit Reader as one of the options it comes with to improve/increase its functionality is Foxit Toolbar, which appears to be a rebadged ASK toolbar. This is an optional selection available during install.

PSI will report this toolbar as an insecurety threat that can't be patched.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Slamgeden RE: Alternative tto Adobe
Member 21st Aug, 2009 10:04
User Since: 17th Jul 2009
I would use Sumatra PDF - Its Open Source.

--
Assorted Fnords.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Aug, 2009 10:42
I agree, Foxit Reader works fine but you need to pay attention during installation and NOT install the Ask Toolbar.

Or go with Sumatra PDF. Very simple and effective program. No fancy features, it just shows you a PDF-file and that's it.

I'm still searching in vain for a good reason to chose Adobe Reader that relates to the majority of PC-users.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: Alternative tto Adobe
Member 21st Aug, 2009 19:08
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
F.Y.I. Be advised that if you use Open Office it is only compatible with Adobe. You will get dialogue box advising of exclusivity to Adobe. I too looked for alternatives and was_________ when I had to give up Foxit.

--
Windows Home Basic-Service Pack 2
Dell AMD Athlon 64x2 Processor 4000+ 2.10Ghz 2Memory 32 Bit

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Sary RE: Alternative to Adobe Reader
Member 22nd Aug, 2009 03:31
User Since: 15th Mar 2010
Last edited on 23rd Aug, 2009 15:34
No thank you.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Aug, 2009 17:51
Last edited on 22nd Aug, 2009 18:30
What I stated still stands: I was advised that open office would not be functional by any other platform other than "Adope"...(PERIOD) You may in fact be able to view pdf files in other readers but if you use other functions such as e-mail or attempt to create pdf files is when I got the word. Your discovery of a alternative app. is interesting and I do hope it does work. However,installing and uninstalling and attempting to find a "productive app."is time consuming also, not to mention eating up disk space with multiple applications. Therefore I will for the time being stay and tough it out with Adobe.
Just for my info is this app. compatible with all browsers. It appears that it wants to be IE compatible only.

--

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Sary Alternative to Adobe Reader
Member 23rd Aug, 2009 01:34
User Since: 15th Mar 2010
Last edited on 23rd Aug, 2009 15:33
No thank you.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Aug, 2009 02:15
Last edited on 23rd Aug, 2009 03:53
I am aggravated by exclusive rights and copyrights not to mention living in Microsoft land. It is like everyone wants to control my p.c. other than myself. The ISP I belong to is contractual and every time you speak with them or change something they immediately re-instate the contract with a penalty for cancellation. The ISP will not support Thunderbird. For all I know it has something to do with this. Microsoft rules. So, what do you think about the new problem for people with the fact that MS WORD is now under litigation and may not be functional after Feb. 2010. See where I am coming from.

BE ADVISED I HAVE INSTALLED AND WILL TEST OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS

Sorry to inform: had numerous system crashes and the program took pictures(documents) of saved files, not at all by my initiation, that were highly confidential. You sure this is not some form of spy ware? BIG Question about this program?

--

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Aug, 2009 14:34
I use Open Office and SumatraPDF. No problem at all, works fine.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Aug, 2009 18:02
Will try anything. Like everyone else who are looking for a replacement for Adobe. Thanks will try.

--

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
skia7 RE: Alternative tto Adobe
Member 12th Dec, 2009 22:04
User Since: 2nd Sep 2009
i agree i am a home user who has the same insecure Adobe prgrmmes and have changed to Foxit
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Dec, 2009 22:06
dont dload the toolbar the option is there
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Dec, 2009 22:07
I use open office writer every day and have deleted Adobe with no problem.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Alternative tto Adobe
Contributor 14th Dec, 2009 04:23
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Down with Adobe, death to the tyrants!!!

I just love these kind of threads, it gets the old blood pumping!

good times all;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
fernandofernandes RE: Alternative tto Adobe
Member 18th Dec, 2009 11:57
User Since: 23rd Jan 2010
on 5th Aug, 2009 13:46, Tony67 wrote:
First I uninstalled these programs using add/revove, then a reboot, then ccleaner to clean out old registry values, then reboot, then installed the latest of the following:

Adobe Air
Adobe Reader
Adobe ShochWave

After installing Adobe reader 9.1.3, secunia still says that it is INSECURE and Adobe Flash player 10.x(Active X control) is INSECURE, even after installing the updates

I heard that FOXIT READER is better/faster than Adobe reader and is not a resource hog and is less susceptible to vulnerabilities than Adobe.

Can I just uninstall all Adobe programs and install FOXIT READER instead? Is there any alternatives/equivalant programs to Adobe Air, Flash Player, ShochWave? Do I need these programs on my pc for everyday browsing?

Was this reply relevant?
+0
DaLincer RE: Alternative tto Adobe
Member 18th Dec, 2009 18:17
User Since: 29th Nov 2008
Last edited on 18th Dec, 2009 18:20
I use the paid program NitroPDF for my PDF creation and editing. Works well and I can afford it vs Acrobat.

However, I ran into a scene where I must have Adobe Reader. My bank delivers it's statements in encrypted PDF files. In NitroPDF, they open to a blank page.

In Adobe Reader, they open properly.

I have Adobe Reader on my computer, I have it setup to not use it for browsing, only when I explicitly open it on a bank file.

Seems annoying and workable. Web files go to NitroPDF and offline stuff as needed to Adobe Reader.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
mejco RE: Alternative tto Adobe
Member 29th Dec, 2009 03:07
User Since: 18th Aug 2008
System Score: 92%
Thanks to all who have posted here. I'm a home user, wondering what to do since Secunia reported no solution. All answers here have been so helpful in arriving at an informed decision.
I haven't deceided what to do yet, but I feel much better having read the opinions of others more knowledgable than I.

--
This too shall pass
Was this reply relevant?
+0
meintower RE: Alternative tto Adobe
Member 31st Dec, 2009 03:52
User Since: 18th Feb 2009
System Score: 98%
Last edited on 31st Dec, 2009 03:56
on 5th Aug, 2009 13:46, Tony67 wrote:

Adobe Air
Adobe Reader
Adobe ShochWave

Hi,there! Could someone tell me what difference is between Adobe Flash Player ( Activex) and Adobe Flash Player ( Plug in)...I'm asking this because I used to have them both on my machine but when PSI has announced they are a threat for my life I've somehow managed to get rid of them,old &mean,unpatched versions...But now I can find and download only the 10.0.42.34 Activex version.What about the Plug-in ?Where could I find it ?Do I need it?Oh ,I'm so nervous about all this Adobe problem...Took me several days to uninstall/reinstall their stuff...I'd switch to something else too,but I'm too lazy and beside that I happen to like the Adobe Reader...But this doesn't mean that I'm so devastated that I cannot wish to all of you A HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS AND SERENE NEW YEAR!

--
meintower
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Alternative tto Adobe
Handling Contributor 31st Dec, 2009 15:18
Score: 11711
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
He is my bog standard reply to Flash problems. It should help U. IE uses ActiveX - all othe browsers use a plug in.

UPDATING ADOBE FLASH
====================

Adobe have not mastered the art of stopping an install by warning U to close named programmes using Flash for a successful uninstall. Nor, have they widely publicised the fact that they do not support removal of older versions by using Control Panel>Add/Remove or other 3rd party uninstallers.

Advanced users just need to install the new version(s),then find the old OCX file & zap it.

Others may wish to take a longer route to successfully remove a vulnerability from Adobe Flash you should:

1. Download & use the Flash Uninstaller from here:

#####Before actually running the uninstaller it is a good idea to close all browsers,PSI and any other programme U think may be using Flash #####

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

2. Reboot to clear out any left over ocx files.

3. Rescan using PSI - if there are any insecure Flash elements left what is the path to them? U should not proceed to stage 4 until all U clear any problems found.(The PSI overview page may look a little odd because it uses Flash for the pictorials)

Note: At this stage,if PSI finds any elements of Flash in the C:\i386 folder or on any drive other than C that is an OEM reinstallation partition (normally D drive) or a drive U use solely to backup your work U can safely create an ignore rule. It may also be in the Recycle Bin.

4. Reinstall the latest Internet Explorer Flash Player from here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/ (I strongly advise U not to select the Beta version unless an advanced user). The latest stable & secure version is: 10.0.42.34

4A.If U are also using Firefox, Opera and other Gecko-based browsers U need this link as well:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_fire... (Again, I strongly advise U select the stable & secure version: 10.0.42.34)
Security.
Adobe also have a very bad habit of changing your Flash settings each time they plug vulnerabilities. To change the security settings to your liking & regain control of your PC click here:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en...

Bloat ware.
If you used the Adobe site, rather than FileHippo to update you will also find they try or have installed an unnecessary Download Manager.

It is bloat ware by a third party Company called NOS. If found I would uninstall it via Add/Remove.

14:15 31/12/2009

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 31st Dec, 2009 16:49
Last edited on 2nd Jan, 2010 18:24
on 31st Dec, 2009 15:18, Maurice Joyce wrote:
He is my bog standard reply to Flash problems. It should help U. IE uses ActiveX - all othe browsers use a plug in.

UPDATING ADOBE FLASH

====================
Yes, down to bog with Adobe!
On the other hand we must admit at least one good part in all these trials:we've met and been helped and advised by some so very nice people...Especially by you Maurice!
Your kindness,patience, fine politeness- shown through your posts, amaze and inspire me every time I read them.

GOD BLESS YOU!HAPPY NEW YEAR!

--
meintower
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: Alternative tto Adobe
Contributor 31st Dec, 2009 19:47
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
Hi meintower
I too send out a HAPPY NEW YEAR & GOD BLESS to everyone.
To answer your question about the plugin-it's now labled as NPAPI-Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface. This is what's used for Gecko-based browsers.

Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 1st Jan, 2010 12:16
Happy New Year.

U will be aware from my previous missives that Adobe have been heavily involved in producing new & expensive programmes for us all to enjoy.

I can now reveal their Christmas & Boxing Day sales of these products.

1. Silver or glass (cheap version) ashtray for attachment to the handlebars of a Harley Davison motorbike - NO SALES.

2. Chocolate Heat Guard for a Weber bar-b-q. - NO SALES.

3. Fog making machine. ONE SALE. This was purchased by the British Government to hide the extent of Members Of Parliament fiddling their expenses. The Daily Telegraph newspaper soon broke this & revealed all!

4. A Lead Lined Parachute to help the Armed Forces in a rapid descent to avoid incoming sniper fire. NO SALES.

This little gem was upgraded to include the Google logo & the wording "Down in a FLASH with SHOCKWAVE resistance included"

The problem with this product appears to be Flash.

The primary Flash element worked but once again Adobe forgot to remove the flash component (OCX) from Shockwave resulting in the Beta Testers becoming .........

No change there then!

11:13 01/01/2010

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Jan, 2010 13:21
Last edited on 1st Jan, 2010 20:53
on 1st Jan, 2010 12:16, Maurice Joyce wrote:
Happy New Year.

This little gem was upgraded to include the Google logo & the wording "Down in a FLASH with SHOCKWAVE resistance included"

The problem with this product appears to be Flash.

The primary Flash element worked but once again Adobe forgot to remove the flash component (OCX) from Shockwave resulting in the Beta Testers becoming .........

No change there then!

11:13 01/01/2010

Is this implying that from the beginning they had a spelling problem and the correct form would have been Adobe Flush Smth...Oh, if we only knew that! It would spare us from so much sufferings! Regarding the list you provided I know for sure that The Fog Machine would vividly interest our government,too.I do not give names so in case that my government read this post they wouldn't know it's speaking about them and maybe our poor budget wd. be safe.

--
meintower
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 1st Jan, 2010 21:49
Ssshhhhh!!

Be quiet, I heard Adobe hired the same people as MS to monitor the internet! If they find us, no telling what might happen.

Remember to keep your head down.

Happy & prosperous New Year all;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 1st Jan, 2010 23:04
Last edited on 1st Jan, 2010 23:07
Pleased to hear that Fred. Perhaps one of them can help out here fixing the problems they create for millions with their appalling security record & total lack of interest in producing a simple,logical & workable fixes for their products rather than continually loading them with even more bloat ware.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 1st Jan, 2010 23:37
Amen.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Jan, 2010 04:42
Last edited on 3rd Jan, 2010 05:11
on 31st Dec, 2009 19:47, wr wrote:
Hi meintower

To answer your question about the plugin-it's now labled as NPAPI-Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface. This is what's used for Gecko-based browsers.

Many thanks for your answer.It took so long to reply because I couldn't find a place to download the NPAPI thing.And,of course got myself submerged into tones of info on plugin-s and their purpose in life.Eventually I've got the idea to open Mozilla and landed on some Adobe site-different from that for IE-and obtained from there the precious stuff.But I still wonder why couldn't my Mozilla and my IE get along,make peace and use just one piece of Ad.Fl.Player since is the same 10.0.42.34...So much hatred in this world!

--
meintower
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Franadora1 RE: Alternative tto Adobe
Member 3rd Jan, 2010 05:12
Score: 5
User Since: 20th Jul 2008
on 3rd Jan, 2010 04:42, meintower wrote:
Many thanks for your suggestion.It took so long to reply because I couldn't find a place to download the NPAPI thing.And,of course got myself submerged into tones of info on plugin-s and their purpose in life.Eventually I've got the idea to open Mozilla and landed on some Adobe site-different from that for IE-and obtained from there the precious stuff.But I still wonder why couldn't my Mozilla and my IE get along,make peace and use just one piece of Ad.Fl.Player since is the same 10.0.42.34...So much hatred in this world!

Not hatred. Except for those of us who don't trust ActiveX. Flash for IE is made with ActiveX. Everyone else uses non-ActiveX. It's an IE thing - though even they (MS) are getting s-l-o-w-l-y away from ActiveX.

Doesn't take much to give them the same version number. Reduces more confusion than it creates, IMAO.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability