Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Is WinDVD needed?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
InterVideo
And, this specific program:
WinDVD Gold 5

This thread has been marked as locked.
Eremita1 Is WinDVD needed?
Member 10th Aug, 2009 18:12
Ranking: 0
User Since: 8th Aug, 2009
System Score: N/A
I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop (Win XP home) with DVD player. Is WinDVD Gold 5 needed to play the DVDs or to burn them (which I have never done)? Do I need to upgrade, or may I just delete the program entirely?

Maurice Joyce RE: Is WinDVD needed?
Handling Contributor 10th Aug, 2009 18:56
Score: 11569
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
I suspect your version 5 Gold is showing as End Of Life?

This sort of programme comes preinstalled on OEM versions of Windows.

Uninstalling it will not create problems but U should really decide if U want to keep it.

If it is End of Life then there is no further support from Corel.

The latest version is 9 & details are here:
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Produ...

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Eremita1 RE: Is WinDVD needed?
Member 11th Aug, 2009 03:00
Score: 0
User Since: 8th Aug 2009
Thanks, I was hoping it was just another program that had been pre-loaded on the machine but did not want to delete it if I needed it to view DVDs. Off it goes!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
GoneToPlaid RE: Is WinDVD needed?
Member 14th Aug, 2009 06:42
Score: 5
User Since: 1st Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
on 10th Aug, 2009 18:56, Maurice Joyce wrote:
I suspect your version 5 Gold is showing as End Of Life?

This sort of programme comes preinstalled on OEM versions of Windows.

Uninstalling it will not create problems but U should really decide if U want to keep it.

If it is End of Life then there is no further support from Corel.

The latest version is 9 & details are here:
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Produ...

I use Media Player Classic from:

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/download-media-playe...

It free, licensed under GPL, and works quite nicely for viewing DVD movies on my computer.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ersviken RE: Is WinDVD needed?
Member 14th Aug, 2009 20:39
User Since: 6th Aug 2009
on 14th Aug, 2009 06:42, GoneToPlaid wrote:
I use Media Player Classic from:

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/download-media-playe...

It free, licensed under GPL, and works quite nicely for viewing DVD movies on my computer.

Hi-
downloaded the Media Player Classic and it listed as end of life at PSI...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Aug, 2009 02:48
I deleted WinDVD 5 and lost my ability to play DVDs or to watch pre-recorded TV shows. I could get sound from the TV shows but no video. Turns out it was the DVD decoder that Toshiba had included. I tried to get it from the disk that came with the laptop but the CD wouldn't load.

MS has some suggestions for decoders to buy to replace it (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/play...).

Other searches of the problem have suggested the free VideoLAN - VLC media player (http://www.videolan.org/) and the free K-Lite Codec Pack.

At this point, I don't know what the best option is.

Is anyone familiar with either of those two suggestions?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Aug, 2009 22:05
With no response to my last query, I held my breath and downloaded the Basic K-Lite Codec Pack (http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm). After the default install (except that I asked it to sync with Windows Media Player), I am back in business for watching pre-recorded TV shows. Secunia PSI reports no concerns.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Is WinDVD needed?
Expert Contributor 16th Aug, 2009 23:56
Score: 2414
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello Eremita ,

I'm a bit late , after the event , but just to say that I use the "mega" version of K-Lite which lets me install the latest version of Media PLayer Classic ; PSI , for particular reasons , shows it as "out of date" & I create an "ignore rule" using the "ignore programme" link in the "toolbox" in the expanded programme page . Getting the latest "supported version" of MPC is most important (version 6.4.9.1 revision 104)& K-lite seem to be good at this .

The "mega" pack also contains "Real Alternative" as a substitute for Real Player ; I prefer it .

Your Windows Media Player set up can stay as is , as you choose.

VLC Media PLayer comes highly rated , but I have not tried it myself .

Pleased you had the courage to sort things yourself .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Aug, 2009 02:51
Thanks for the further info, Anthony. I wondered if I should be getting one of the other packs -- I was interested in the Real Alternative. So far so good on this machine. I seem to be back to the same function as before.

I did finally find some reviews of the VLC Media Player and couldn't really see that it would add anything I needed, and there were some complaints that it did not play in borderless full screen.

What is the advantage of Media Player Classic over the standard Windows Media Player 11?

Eremita
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 17th Aug, 2009 12:01

Hello Eremita ,

Having fixed the problem , I go back to "if it ain't broke , don't fix it ."

I only add/change things after taking "good/expert" advice or suggestions . Apart from my own personal "experts" , I rely on Gizmo's Freeware website for unbiased info ; here's the link to his/their review of "free" Media Players ;-

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-windows-...

To me , it seems a question of MS/mainstream versus open source & how much technical involvement you are into . It's really just about what you understand & you feel comfortable using .

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Is WinDVD needed?
Member 20th Aug, 2009 16:41
on 14th Aug, 2009 20:39, ersviken wrote:
Hi-
downloaded the Media Player Classic and it listed as end of life at PSI...

PSI will show that because, for some odd reason, SourceForge does not update the version number, but you will see that the download file name is updated, e.g. from mplayerc_20081210.zip to mplayerc_20090706.zip

I have both MPC and VLC. VLC does not seem to have some very standard control options, albeit it does have some advanced ones. For my purposes, I prefer MPC. I just want an easy to use player to simply play the videos.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
MomsHugs RE: Is WinDVD needed?
Member 24th Aug, 2009 17:18
User Since: 8th Feb 2009
on 17th Aug, 2009 12:01, Anthony Wells wrote:
Having fixed the problem , I go back to "if it ain't broke , don't fix it ." http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-windows-...

Anthony, I'm with you. I also have a Toshiba Satellite (Jan06) & have NO problems playing videos/movies with WinDVD/v.5 & there's no price break to update old fogey v.5, just v.6-9. So, why update something that still works fine? Hackers are more interested in exploiting the new stuff anyway.

So what if it's "end-of-life"? So am I... well, sort of... and like my teeth & house, keep my laptop "clean" of dust & viruses or other malware. Anything beyond that takes time away from other enjoyable parts of life....

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 24th Aug, 2009 17:50
Last edited on 24th Aug, 2009 17:52
Hello MomsHugs ,

Do bear in mind what PSI states at the top of its "end of life" page . There is a possibility that a vulnerability may arise in the future & that you won't be made aware of it .

Next time you have a spare moment or do a bit of tidying up ; why not have a look at what Eremita did ( on the 16th ) to "work around" the potential problem .

No rush , no sweat , just take care .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Aug, 2009 02:23
Anthony ~ You ask why not do the work-around. Hummm... a lot of reasons, but here's my best answer.

I can deal with possibilities or even low probabilities involving a machine on which my life does not depend, nor do I want to let it control my life.

My life actually depends on a machine with a much higher probability of really hurting me while I sit blithely behind what is essentially a fire box inside thin metal hurtling through space at 75 mph. Now a good auto mechanic is a REAL necessity.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Aug, 2009 02:37
on 16th Aug, 2009 22:05, Eremita1 wrote:
Basic K-Lite Codec Pack (http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm). After the default install (except that I asked it to sync with Windows Media Player), I am back in business for watching pre-recorded TV shows. Secunia PSI reports no concerns.

Eremita1 -- Appreciate the work-around & link. Its bookmarked for a rainy day when I'm in a better frame of mind to try it.

Moms Hugs aka Eve
http://momshugs.blogspot.com

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 25th Aug, 2009 15:42

Hello MomsHugs ,

Being able to resist everything except temptation , just checked your Blog and was delighted to find an update on Dave Carrol & the Sons of Maxwell ; they made the news here in France , but I didn't have the time to follow up . Great videos and great music as well .

And of course , I'm a huge fan of Shaun .

A good friend , who builds & races his own Rally cars , takes care of my things mecanical & is adamant that I'm already dangerous enough without having end of life bits to worry about . So , even though I agree with your priorities , don't let Eremita down.

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Aug, 2009 02:35
Anthony, someone in France likes British sheep humor?? LOL!! With an Irish name like Shaun, he's not a true Brit anyway.

It was a long stormy night not long ago when Wallace & Grommit came into my life. It says a lot about a woman who falls madly in love with a little British inventor & his dog... made of clay no less. I know he can't rise in the morning without machinery, but what can I say? Grommit is SUCH a chick magnet!

I'll admit I've been torn. The little rollerblading guys have had my heart since the first Evian ad. That last interview was so... how to say this in a public forum? SUCH cutie guys!!

Hugs from across the pond, through the woods to the middle of the road in America...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 26th Aug, 2009 11:26

Hello Moms Hugs ,

We are so far off topic , I may as well tell you I'm part Welsh/part English (Nothern part as in Lancashire). My first dog was a black & white collie like those shown in this video :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2FX9rviEhw

By the way , I think (guessing) Shaun is also a subtle Northern humour word play between the Irish name (Sean) & shorn (as in wool shearing).

Life is so short so take time to smell the flowers .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Oct, 2009 20:32
Anthony & Eremita, sorry for such a long delay. Not sure if this thread will pop to catch your attention now, but here goes...

I've been dealing with something redirecting my Firefox & have been working through HijackThis with assistance. Almost done - including back to IE7 - so thought I'd finish off with Eremita's recommendation to use K-Lite CoDec Pack in lieu of InterVideo's WinDVD Gold 5.

I dl'd the K-Lite CoDec Pack & it's recent update. I removed the oogdec audio program used by Wiki at its request. I know nothing about its configuration options, so chose the default.

It did not ask that WinDVD be removed, which I'm afraid to do since it was loaded by Toshiba & may be linked in ways that matter. Any advice guys?

Thanks a gadzillion ~ Moms Hugs

PS: Anthony, I've been meaning to get back here to tell you how much I enjoyed that BaaaStud Show! I'm uploading to Moms Hugs.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th Oct, 2009 18:26

Hello Eve,

Secunia sent me an email for this thread in good time , I'm late responding .

Two questions :-

Which package offered by K-Lite did you install ??

Do you have any other DVD player installed , such as Windows Media Player , Real Player , etc.??

Welsh Border Collies are cool :))

Anthony.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Oct, 2009 00:44
Sorry, Anthony ~ I thought this thread had closed for lack of activity since the headings had "Posters no longer exist" right after I posted here. So I figured I had to open another thread, which will be deleted, right?

I have Windows Media Player v.11 & QuickTime. They work fine.

Dl'd K-Lite Basic & found this in the FAQ:

Q: How can I play DVDs in Windows Media Player?
A: To play DVDs in Windows Media Player (version 9, 10 or 11) you need a MPEG-2 decoder that is capable of decoding DVD video and is also compatible with WMP. The K-Lite Codec Pack contains a compatible decoder. Some examples of compatible decoders are: Cyberlink, DScaler5, InterVideo, MainConcept and NVIDIA PureVideo.

Toshiba loaded InterVideo's WinDVD Gold 5 in this laptop.

Thanks for still being there for me! Moms Hugs

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Oct, 2009 06:36
Additional related query...

HijackThis has a problem with RTHDCPL.EXE - a process related to Realtek HD Audio Control Panel that Toshiba loaded back in 2005.

According to Realtek this program is needed only if I hook up external speakers to my laptop, which I never do.

Any reason to keep it or can it be deleted now that I have K-Lite Codec installed?

Thanks you for helping me! Eve

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Oct, 2009 17:10
Last edited on 9th Oct, 2009 17:36
Hello there Eve ,

Eremita's problem was that the removal of Gold did indeed remove the InterVideo codec needed to run Windows Media Player 11 ; K-Lite provided the codec for WMP .

So , if you remove/delete Gold then WMP "should" take over OK. The only proviso being that the "intervideo" codec was in place when you installed K-Lite . If you have a problem after removing Gold then you might need to do an unistall/reinstall (just run the uninstaller via "start" ->"all programmes" -> ) of K-Lite. Then reinstall , the "default" setting should be fine ; you can always check the settings in the configuration window (during install) to see if MPEG-2 **(see my next post) is loading (it did for "Eremita and me" - sounds like a song title :)) She says (above) that she included in the default install a WMP sync .

At some time , I updated to Realtek AC 97 as my PC , TV and my Hi-Fi speakers interlink , so I don't have the .exe file you refer to ; if HijackThis don't like something and you don't need it then I would certainly get rid of/dump it ASAP. Maybe you should put it in the garbage or rename the .exe file first to check , but I doubt you need it.

Let us know how you get on.

Take care
Anthony.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Oct, 2009 17:28
Last edited on 9th Oct, 2009 17:42
Eve ,

In this link you will see that the "standard" pack refers to MPEG-2 :-

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Is this your install. You may need it . Any way , you may as well finish , now you are started.

I am not sure what codecs Realtek use or whether they are in any of these packs .

FWIW , I use the "Mega" pack in order to keep my "Real Alternative" player up to date .

Anthony

PS: the "standard" pack contains Media Player Classic ; an alternative to WMP , etc. and PSI now shows it as "patched". You can always "deselect" it if you do not want it .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Oct, 2009 04:24
Thanks, Anthony... Before doing any more changes, I'm working with assistance of Help2Go to clean something off my computer that is causing redirection in Firefox & AVG to block a persistent tracker cookie: atdmt[2].

Removing everything associated with Windows Live removed the linkis to the stdmt cookie. I reverted back to IE7, too.

Yesterday, Fri 10/9, Trend Micro announced finding a backdoor trojan that Adobe & Acrobat dropped on computers with its update. Funny, that was when I began having trouble w/redirecting in Firefox.
"New Adobe Zero -Day Exploit" backdoor on computers"
http://blog.trendmicro.com/new-adobe-zero-day-expl...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th Oct, 2009 18:42

Hello Eve ,

Sorry to hear of your woes .

If it helps ; this is a link to a CNet forum question concerning your "tracking cookie" ; don't forget they are designed to be "persistent" & pass on information about your surfing habits ( ie : adware ) , but they are not actually dangerous to your computer like malware are :-

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?thread...

Are you saying that Trend Micro has found malware associated with the Adobe "vulnerability" on your computer ??

If not , you might follow their javascript advice until there is a patch offered (supposedly on Tuesday next).

Again if not , then Firefox being redirected is "more likely" a coincidence and down to other malware and I would persist with HiJackThis ; plus , a complete clean out of all things Firefox & a reinstall might help.

These are only thoughts from a distance.

Let us know your progress.

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th Oct, 2009 21:09

Hello Again Eve ,

I do hope you don't mind too much , but I was curious about Help2go and so visited the site and saw your thread on the Forum . I don't think I could read a HiJackThis log , however much you paid me , or if the answer jumped up & bit me :((

Bearing in mind your helper's request to use one Forum at a time , plus the fact that he obviously knows what he is doing , perhaps you might want to check this with him :-

In your first post , I noticed by chance that you mention Trojan.Downloader.Banload.Aoope. as being quarantined by AVG from a Firefox 3.5 update on Sep.9. Twice in the last month I have had a different version of "Banload" show up as , what seems to me to be , an apparent "False Positive" detection . The latest is a Spyware Terminator scan (I run it from time to time) which says it has found version APIO as/in "Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 setup.exe." I have checked it at Jotti & VirusTotal & by its circumstance it gives all the appearances of an FP.
I'm waiting to see what Crawler/ST has to say.

Perhaps you would wish to raise the AVG quarantining with the real expert concerning you Firefox redirecting. Do excuse my joining in , just hoping to help.

Take care
Anthony.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Is WinDVD needed?
Handling Contributor 11th Oct, 2009 21:47
Score: 11569
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
There is no secret about the ATDMT cookie.

The firm is called Atlas is verified by TRUSTe & used by Microsoft.

In line with the Microsoft privacy policy just opt out. Link is here:

http://www.atdmt.com/CookieActions.aspx

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Oct, 2009 21:32
Thanks Anthony & Maurice..

Wish I'd known about opting out of Atlas. Microsoft should have spoke up about the opt out option when it updated to Windows Live. Removing Live did the trick & removed atdmt from every corner it was in, including old saved email. Creepy when found in such odd places.

I'm sticking with Help2Go's help. Their HGT Log Detective continues to show something else is wrong. Now AVG's scan is listing Locked Files & other oddities it has never shown before.

I'll post back here when all is well again. Removing WinDVD Gold will have to wait until then.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Oct, 2009 20:50
Hi Anthony & Maurice ~

All clean from Help2Go (evilfantasy helped w/ComboFix).
Did all recommended, but Firefox won't accept WOT as addon.

1. Installed all Windows patches called for by Windows Update)
2. Installed updates called for by Secunia - including Adobe
3. Installed & updated SpywareBlaster (+ SVG, MalwareBytes & SUPERAntiSpyware is total security 'suite')
4. Removed InterVideo WinDVD Gold 5
5. Installed K-Lite Codec/Mega (uninstalled Basic 1st)
Note: Windows Media Player 11 is required (works fine together)
6. Installed Web-of-Trust (WOT) for Internet Explorer
7. Installed/updated & used: CCleaner, ATF & TFC

Firefox (3.5.3) blocks WOT & I've run out of actions to rectify so posted this 'final' plea for help from the guys at Help2Go: http://www.help2go.com/forum/spyware-help/104322-d...

Firefox 3.6 is due out soon & maybe WOT will be incorporated.

(OT) Anthony ~ The movie "Julie & Julia" has given French cooking the spotlight again. I'm not a 'foodie' but was intrigued & made "Beef Bourguignon" (to die for!). Do the Welsh like adding booze to their food, too? ~ Eve
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Oct, 2009 22:16

Hello Eve

Just had a "quick" review of your link ; wow , those Help2Go guys really came through with the goods , didn't they:))

I have WOT on my 3.5.3 with no problem , but tend to use the LinkExtend toolbar , it combines/uses several site assessors - WOT included . It is a full toolbar (you can always hide it when you don't need it) & has a fascinating (time wasting:))) search engine . Check out the website to be sure that you know what each item/function does to help select the options during installation ;-

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/107...

For the old "Bourguignon" , it's obligatory in France that for every bottle in , there is one on the table (and one for the cook , if he/she has any sense) - preferably Gevrey Chambertin .

As for your question , are you mad ?? Is the Pope a Catholic ?? Do bears do their doo doo's in the woods ??
The question is , do we allow any food with our meals !!

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Ziff RE: Is WinDVD needed?
Member 14th Feb, 2010 03:58
User Since: 8th Feb 2010
New to Secunia. Early in this thread someone mentioned Gizmo Freeware. That site's current recommendation for free player is KM/Pandora.

Has anyone deleted their end of life WinDVD and replace it with KM? If so, any problems?

Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability