Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Cannot install Java 6-15

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

This thread has been marked as locked.
samson12 Cannot install Java 6-15
Member 18th Aug, 2009 13:46
Ranking: 0
User Since: 18th Aug, 2009
System Score: N/A
Is anyone having problems installing tbe latest Java 6-15?
I am getting error massages: "Uncompression of download file failed".

i have read some of the information on the thread that says go to Start > control panel > java icon

but i can not find the java icon in my control panel. Can you please help ?

Mcd73165 RE: Cannot install Java 6-15
Member 18th Aug, 2009 15:18
Score: 7
User Since: 13th May 2009
Hi. The reason you're not seeing the Java icon in Control Panel is because the previous version was uninstalled by the Java installer that you're having trouble with. Open Windows Explorer and delete the Java folder at C;\Program files\Java and delete the Java folder at C;\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Sun. Then try reinstalling the current version of Java and it should install without a problem.
Mark
Was this reply relevant?
+0
samson12 RE: Cannot install Java 6-15
Member 20th Aug, 2009 23:31
Score: 0
User Since: 18th Aug 2009
many thanks for your response. I have tried all the suggestions but none worked. I took my laptop to my cousin's house and i tried to install it again and it worked fine without any error. I am now confused and dont know what went wrong.
Could the problem have been my Sky broadband connection ?

thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
nongkers RE: Cannot install Java 6-15
Member 21st Aug, 2009 10:34
User Since: 21st Aug 2009
brilliant thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mr_password RE: Cannot install Java 6-15
Member 11th Jan, 2010 22:46
User Since: 11th Jan 2010
Hi,

I have followed all the instruction as stated above but still have the same problem. I have no Java files in my application data or program files. I have no Java icon in my control panel and I still get "Uncompression of Downloaded file failed" Message?

Any advice will be appreciated. Cheers :)

--
Mr Password

XP Home SP3, Intel Pentium D 2.8GHz 3GB RAM. Running Bitdefender, ASC and MalwareBytes
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Jan, 2010 06:14
Hi, mr_password. Did you try installing the latest version Java 6-17 from here?
http://www.filehippo.com/download_java_runtime/
Mark
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Jan, 2010 07:59
on 12th Jan, 2010 06:14, Mcd73165 wrote:
Hi, mr_password. Did you try installing the latest version Java 6-17 from here?
http://www.filehippo.com/download_java_runtime/
Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. I followed your suggestion and tried installing the latest version without success.

The error I received is the following:

"The installation package could not open. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer Package".

I look forward to any other suggestions. Thanks :)

--
Mr Password

XP Home SP3, Intel Pentium D 2.8GHz 3GB RAM. Running Bitdefender, ASC and MalwareBytes
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Cannot install Java 6-15
Expert Contributor 12th Jan, 2010 08:49
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
I usually sort it from here :-
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Jan, 2010 09:05
on 12th Jan, 2010 08:49, mogs wrote:
I usually sort it from here :-
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp[/quote]

Hi Mogs,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried both the online and offline versions and both without success.

The online version still had that uncompression error and the offline has the error I mentioned in my last post to Mark.

--
Mr Password

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 12th Jan, 2010 10:25
Try reading the thread...".Updated or not", by poetman, and more specifically, the post in it by Maurice Joyce on the 6th Jan at 19:17. I'm sure it will be helpful.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Jan, 2010 11:01
on 12th Jan, 2010 10:25, mogs wrote:
Try reading the thread...".Updated or not", by poetman, and more specifically, the post in it by Maurice Joyce on the 6th Jan at 19:17. I'm sure it will be helpful.

Thanks Mogs. I actually have read the thread and followed the instructions previous to posting on this thread. Still no success.

What I would like to clarify with you or someone is where this 'alleged' java icon is (supposedly in control panel) because I cannot find it.

Cheers :)

--
Mr Password

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 12th Jan, 2010 11:55
I'm using Vista Home Premium with SP2 installed. When using Control Panel with the Classic Veiw...the Java icon is shown second row down, on the right.
Are you sure everything else is up to date with your set-up ? Perhaps more information may help someone to help you.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Jan, 2010 14:59
Hello again, mr_password. You're not seeing the Java icon in the Control Panel because Java is uninstalled or partially uninstalled. At this point the only thing I can think of is to do a search for any Java file leftovers on your pc and if you find any then delete them. If there aren't any leftovers then you can try searching the registry for any Java entries and delete them. Then try installing Java again. A word of caution, create a System Restore Point before deleting anything from the Registry. You can also try using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Here's the link: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-clean...
However, if Java is already uninstalled which I suspect it is then you won't find an entry for Java in the Cleanup Utility in which case you can't use it. Hope this helps and good luck!
Mark
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Jan, 2010 22:13
on 12th Jan, 2010 11:55, mogs wrote:
I'm using Vista Home Premium with SP2 installed. When using Control Panel with the Classic Veiw...the Java icon is shown second row down, on the right.
Are you sure everything else is up to date with your set-up ? Perhaps more information may help someone to help you.

Thanks Mogs. I have XP SP3 and no Java icon in classic view of CP.

When you ask is "... everything else is up to date with your set-up ? Perhaps more information may help someone to help you...", I am not sure what other specific information is required?

Cheers

--
Mr Password

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Jan, 2010 22:21
on 12th Jan, 2010 14:59, Mcd73165 wrote:
Hello again, mr_password. You're not seeing the Java icon in the Control Panel because Java is uninstalled or partially uninstalled. At this point the only thing I can think of is to do a search for any Java file leftovers on your pc and if you find any then delete them. If there aren't any leftovers then you can try searching the registry for any Java entries and delete them. Then try installing Java again. A word of caution, create a System Restore Point before deleting anything from the Registry. You can also try using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Here's the link: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-clean...
However, if Java is already uninstalled which I suspect it is then you won't find an entry for Java in the Cleanup Utility in which case you can't use it. Hope this helps and good luck!
Mark

Hi Mark

Thanks again for your reply.

I probably should have shared with you that I had already done what you have suggested. Before I had posted in this thread, I had checked to see if there were any java files- I had removed all files from the program folder and application data folder.

I went through the registry and carefully removed Java/Sun files . I also ran the cleanup utility program and no java files existed; although, I did find one in 'Hijack This'.

I should mention this happened to me last year, and I restore the PC back to a time where Java was working. Since a recent update, it has done it again but I decided to find a remedy for the problem.

Unless I have missed something in the registry, I don't know what else to do.

One unusual observation for you and Mogs- I don't know why I have two Application Data folders. BTW I have checked both and removed Sun folders.

Anyway, thanks for replying and for your assistance.

Cheers

--
Mr Password

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Jan, 2010 05:56
Hi, mr_password. Sorry things didn't work out for you. At this point I have no other ideas on what your problem could be. One other thing to try is maybe doing a System Restore to a point when Java was installed and then try uninstalling it again using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Then try reinstalling the latest Java version. That might work. Again, good luck!
Mark
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Jan, 2010 08:02
on 13th Jan, 2010 05:56, Mcd73165 wrote:
Hi, mr_password. Sorry things didn't work out for you. At this point I have no other ideas on what your problem could be. One other thing to try is maybe doing a System Restore to a point when Java was installed and then try uninstalling it again using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Then try reinstalling the latest Java version. That might work. Again, good luck!
Mark

Mark,

Thanks anyway. Unfortunately I have had this problem a while (months)so I am not sure if I should do a system restore. I did think about it but was concerned too much time had passed.

Anyway, I'll keep trying and if I find a solution, I will post it.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

--
Mr Password

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jan, 2010 09:11
Hi everyone

Just updating you on the latest. I had a glitch with my anti virus program so what I did was system restore it two months ago and then returned it to Friday. And for some reason- Java has returned.

I have no idea or explanation but glad for it.

Again thanks to everyone who helped.

Cheers

--
Mr Password

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jan, 2010 21:27
Hi, mr_password. Glad you got your Java back. Are you going to try to uninstall it and then install the latest version (Java 6 update 18). I think that if you try to install the new version (without uninstalling your current version) the Java Installer should uninstall your previous version first. That's how it worked for me for the last few versions. However, if there is a possibility that your current version is corrupted then it may be a good idea to use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to uninstall it first. Sorry if I'm rambling on. In any case, good luck and let us know again how things work out for you.
Mark
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+