Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI Cannot Validate Connectivity

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
RxDdude PSI Cannot Validate Connectivity
Member 20th Aug, 2009 11:07
Ranking: 4
User Since: 20th Aug, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 20th Aug, 2009 11:11

Around the time of Patch Tuesday, my Secunia PSI began failing to find connectivity. I tried several times, closing and reopening it, restarting Windows XP Pro, and then I uninstalled PSI and downloaded the latest installer. Have downloaded at least twice, the installer and have installed and uninstalled it at least three times over the past few days, and it cannnot connect. It just never comes out of the "Please wait while network connectivity is verified" mode.

Am running Win XP Pro SP3 and it was updated by Automatic Updater last week. Maybe it's something that one of the 11 updates did. Every other app that I use is working and connecting, but not Secunia PSI.

And, BTW, not IE8! IE8 bgan failing to connect to update.microsoft.com, that's the only thing I use IE for. Actually, it hardly will connect to microsoft.com since a few days prior to Patch Tuesday. About the same time, that Content Advisor thing began annoying me unmercifully. I just managed to turn it off, now. I cannot review my update history on Microsoft Update website, because the history link is grayed out. That doesn't make sense to me, but there it is. Bummer. Am out of time tonight.

Apologies, this is maybe two (2) problems - though possibly related... Any suggestions?

FallingRock

System:
HP Pavilion a1040n (purch. 7/2005)
OS: Windows XP Professinal with SP3 and as fully updated as I could make it.
Firefox is my browser, but I have upgraded IE to IE8, I just don't use it unless coerced by M$..
Intel P4 3.1GHz, 2 GB RAM, 155GB free on HD

--
R&DDude
========================================
All I really need to know in life, I learned from the
theory of relativity!
--------------------------------------------
“Everything should be completed as soon as possible.
And, not sooner.”
– attributed to Al Einstein
============================================
HP Pavilion a1020n / Win XP Pro SP3 (x86) / AMI BIOS 3.19
Intel P4 519J 3.06 GHz / 2 GB DDR2 PC-4200
140 GB free on System partition
Firefox 3.6.15 / NoScript 2.0.9.9 / M$ IE 8.0 (rarely used)
Comodo IS 2011 v5.3 / M$ Security Essentials v1.99.1103.0

RxDdude RE: PSI Cannot Validate Connectivity
Member 23rd Aug, 2009 22:47
Score: 4
User Since: 20th Aug 2009
Good news - PSI began working, late the next day, dom'y know why exactly. Maybe because I entered Secunia.com and the update site, both, into the ZonAlrm firewall's Trusted zone, and maybe because I shut down a commonly unneeded Service (using my Windows XP® Professional's services.exe app). However, those sites were not in the trusted zone during the prior months of good functioning of Secunia PSI. Maybe a Microsoft® update turned off Secunia's connectivity? Maybe accepting Microsoft's nagging to upgrade INternet Explorer from v7.0 to v9.0 did it> Maybe it was last Patch Tuesday's 10 or 11 patches and updates? Mysteries abound. After all is said and done, it is Microsoft® software we must work with.

At various rimes, I also had enabled a service or two in msconfig and had also disabled some service or other during the several days of troubleshooting that preceded the epiphany.

Now, if anybody knows exactly which list of Windows XP Pro services must be Started (as shown in the Services.exe window) then I would very much like to have that list supplied. And any that should not be started, too. Surely, Secunia's analysts must have such a list, maybe informally. It would make a great application note or bulletin for posting in the Support section.

Falling Rock

--
R&DDude
theory of relativity!
And, not sooner.”
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: PSI Cannot Validate Connectivity
Member 23rd Aug, 2009 23:06
on 23rd Aug, 2009 22:47, RxDdude wrote:
Good news - PSI began working, late the next day, dom'y know why exactly. Maybe because I entered Secunia.com and the update site, both, into the ZonAlrm firewall's Trusted zone, and maybe because I shut down a commonly unneeded Service (using my Windows XP® Professional's services.exe app). However, those sites were not in the trusted zone during the prior months of good functioning of Secunia PSI. Maybe a Microsoft® update turned off Secunia's connectivity? Maybe accepting Microsoft's nagging to upgrade INternet Explorer from v7.0 to v9.0 did it> Maybe it was last Patch Tuesday's 10 or 11 patches and updates? Mysteries abound. After all is said and done, it is Microsoft® software we must work with.
v7.0 to v9.0?

Every time an application changes ZoneAlarm must be made aware that it has changed as it will not let the application out onto the Internet.

on 23rd Aug, 2009 22:47, RxDdude wrote:
At various rimes, I also had enabled a service or two in msconfig and had also disabled some service or other during the several days of troubleshooting that preceded the epiphany.

Now, if anybody knows exactly which list of Windows XP Pro services must be Started (as shown in the Services.exe window) then I would very much like to have that list supplied. And any that should not be started, too. Surely, Secunia's analysts must have such a list, maybe informally. It would make a great application note or bulletin for posting in the Support section.

Falling Rock
Messing with Windows Services can be hazardous to your systems health.

Windows XP x86 (32-bit) Service Pack 3 Service Configurations

• Do not use "msconfig" to disable services, type "services.msc" in the Run box instead!

Go with "SAFE" services setup:
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Aug, 2009 08:10
Yokenny,

You are right, I see that I hit a lot of typos in the near-dark late at night. IE 7.0 to 8.0, of course, not 9.0. Etc.

Non-connectivity problem recurred when I logged on last Monday, 24th August, PSI couldn't verify connectivity. This continued through Thursday night until new logon tonight Friday, about 11:30 pm CDT 28th August. Surprised! PSI connected! Am just now getting back to this forum following potentially life-saving surgery (prayers will be appreciated) on Tuesday.

Possibly, this success came to me, because I did a lot of work in services.msc after reviewing BlackViper's recommendations, last night. More remains to completely configure to his recommendations, but maybe I ought to quit while I am ahead - that is, while PSI is working for me! Will try to follow up tomorrow on this.

Thank you for the help so far.

Falling Rock

--
R&DDude
theory of relativity!
And, not sooner.”
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: PSI Cannot Validate Connectivity
Member 29th Aug, 2009 15:59
I hope all goes well with your potentially life-saving surgery on Tuesday. The modern medicines and doctors work wonders nowadays and prayers will definitly help and I will offer one up on Monday.

Internet connectivity usually is more down to earth though and has more to do with a good ISP and good infrastructure connections.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: PSI Cannot Validate Connectivity
Contributor 29th Aug, 2009 16:32
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
Hi FallingRock,
If you're having trouble getting Secunia to connect try this:

The following steps are the latest version I know of to ensure connectivity to Secunias servers:

Secunia PSI needs to be able to connect to Secunia servers to complete its scanning. However, if you have configured
the security settings of your Internet Explorer, the Secunia PSI may be prevented from getting the scan results. To receive
your scan results, you need to do some changes to your Internet options.
To do this:
a. Open Internet Explorer.
b. Go to Tools>Internet Options>Security tab.
c. Select the Internet zone and click on the Custom Level button.
d. In Security Settings, go to the Scripting>Active Scripting option.
e. Make sure that Active Scripting is Enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
f. Press OK then Yes.
g. Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted sites zone and click on the Sites button.
h. Look at the bottom of the page and take the tick from the box marked"Require server verification(HTTPS)for all site zones" then type in the following and press the Add button to add them to the Trusted Zone Sites list:
http:*.secunia.com
https:*.secunia.com
i. Press Close
j. Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results

If using a browser other than IE the settings can be accessed by clicking Start-Control Panel-Internet Options-then follow c thru j

Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 31.3.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Aug, 2009 07:57
wr,

Thanks for this detailed tip sheet. I was unaware of the Scripting item, especially. I had already installed the Secunia URLs in M$ IE 8.0 and Zone Alarm Trusted Zone, but I spelled them out and didn't use the *.
I don't use M$ IE if I can avoid it, Firefox 3.5.2 all the way. But, maybe IE affects Secunia's operation??
It's nice to hear from a fellow Tennesseean. I did a lot of my growing up in East Tenn. on my mother's beloved old home place on the Clinch River and the peach orchard on Black Oak Ridge, in Roane County. Great nostalgia. Take care.

--
R&DDude
theory of relativity!
And, not sooner.”
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 30th Aug, 2009 17:50
Hi FallingRock,

You're very welcome & thanks for the shoutout neighboring Vol. You have some really beautiful countryside there in Roane Co. & thanks for posting back.

Regards, wr

--
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 31.3.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
RxDdude RE: PSI Cannot Validate Connectivity - Thursday Update
Member 18th Sep, 2009 02:30
Just to report - again this week after Patch Tuesday, Secunia PSI could not connect to the internet in a long (>15 minutes) waiting time, although Firefox and AVG Free 8.5 and Zone Alarm and Windows® Defender, etc., could connect with no apparent delay or difficulty. Re-starting PSI and re-starting Windows XP Pro SP3, done more than once, made no difference.

But, this afternoon, PSI connected again after a logoff and logon. After a subsequent shutdown and startup needed to cure a crash of Firefox 3.5.3, it connected again. No changes were made in Windows, although updates of Win Defender were downloaded once or twice, and AVG every day.

Go, figure.

Falling Rock

OS: Win XP Pro SP3 (M$ IE 8.0 also installed, but used as little as possible)
SYS: HP Pavilion a1040n (purch. mid-2005)
CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4 519J @ 3.065 GHz
RAM: 2GB DDR 3200
HD: 148 GB free
Brwsr: Firefox 3.5.3 w/NoScript 1.9.8.86

--
R&DDude
theory of relativity!
And, not sooner.”
Was this reply relevant?
+0
frizille19 RE: PSI Cannot Validate Connectivity
Member 19th Oct, 2009 18:15
Score: 0
User Since: 19th Oct 2009
Same issue here, I've tried dropping back to the 1.0.0.1 version but get the same problem with it never loading. I've tried the steps above without success, IE is the default browser, secunia is in the trusted sites list, active scripting is enabled, using IE8 latest fully patched. OS is windows 7, firewall disabled, UAC disabled, run as admin, I've tried compatibility mode... nothing.

If anyone figures this out let me know...

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 19th Oct, 2009 19:12
Hi all,
Part of the connectivity problems were with Secunias servers. They were doing maintenance over the weekend. There is a posting in another thread from a Secunia official addressing this issue. I haven't tested by doing a scan, but according to his post all should be well now(19 Oct).
If you're still having problems you may want to contact support@Secunia.

Regards, wr

--
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 31.3.0 ESR
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+