Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Tried Everything

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Apple
And, this specific program:
Apple Quicktime 2.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
davisj Tried Everything
Member 26th Aug, 2009 17:41
Ranking: -9
User Since: 30th May, 2009
System Score: N/A
PSI is reporting Quicktime 2.1.2.59 as end of life. I have tried everything I have come across in PSI and on the web but cannot remove it. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have: applied the download solution offered by PSI; installed a new version of Quicktime; uninstalled all versions of Quicktime using Revo Uninstaller; manually deleted any QT files I have found and emptied the recycle bin. I restarted each time and have rescanned several times without any result.

PSI is displaying the path as E:\WINDOWS\PLAY32.EXE but that file does not exist!

thedillpickl RE: Tried Everything
Contributor 26th Aug, 2009 19:12
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 26th Aug, 2009 19:18
Hi davisj;

It is possible, but not likly, that E:\WINDOWS\PLAY32.EXE is a hidden file. I haven't dealt with that problem in so long, to be honest, I would have to figure out how to make the file show up. Just be careful when dealing with hidden files. You might want to change the file name (eg. E:\WINDOWS\PLAY32.OLD) rather than deleating it.

Have you ran the PSI scan after removing the old version, but before installing the latest version of Quicktime? I've not had any problem with it but have not had to update Quicktime lately. Sorry to not be of much help. Hopfully someone else will have an idea.

regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Tried Everything
Handling Contributor 26th Aug, 2009 21:34
Score: 11631
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
What U have not told us is what U use the E drive for. Is it an Windows OEM patition (doubtful),a back up drive or a drive that has an operational OS installed?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: Tried Everything
Contributor 26th Aug, 2009 21:39
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
Last edited on 26th Aug, 2009 21:44
Hi davisj,
I can guarantee you if the Secunia PSI reported on a file-then it's there. If your e:/ drive is a backup/installation drive, then just create a ignore rule for that drive-problem solved.

Creating an IGNORE RULE

Click on the SETTINGS tab>scroll to the bottom & click on CREATE IGNORE RULE

In the RULE NAME BOX insert something like MY BACKUP DRIVE

In the RULE BOX type E:\

Click SAVE IGNORE RULE>CLOSE

The drive will continue to be scanned by default but the result will not be published.

Regards, wr

EDIT: Sorry Maurice, I'll stand aside-you were obivously posting while I was typing.

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Tried Everything
Handling Contributor 26th Aug, 2009 21:49
Score: 11631
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
@wr,
No problem - he now has the answer if it is an OEM or backup drive.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
dmemt RE: Tried Everything
Member 26th Aug, 2009 22:38
Score: 0
User Since: 4th Dec 2008
Last edited on 26th Aug, 2009 22:47
Howdy davisJ,

If you want to get rid of the pesky file, here are a couple of things to try. The examples are XP based, so adapt accordingly if you are running a different version of Windows.

First, the old school way: Open a Command Prompt with START, RUN, and type >

cmd
cd e:\windows
attrib -s -h -r play32.exe
del play32.exe

If you don't get an error, the file should be gone!

If it won't let you delete it, there is the lazy way:

download and install Unlocker from:
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/[/i]
(no affilitation, just something that has worked for me :)

Now, open Windows Explorer and select Tools, Folder Options, VIEW tab, select Show hidden files and folders. Navigate Explorer to the directory in question. RIGHT click on the pesky file, select Unlocker, and Delete action. That should kill it good ;>

Just out of curiosity, why is \windows on your E: drive?

--
Dana
"What, exactly, is the Internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a "modem" can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Was this reply relevant?
+0
davisj01 RE: Tried Everything
Member 27th Aug, 2009 18:35
Score: 0
User Since: 26th Aug 2009
Hello all

I've managed to solve the problem by a using a combination of your advice. As Fred suspected the file was hidden. Showing the file enabled me to delete it - easy when you know how isn't it!

Btw my E: drive is the local drive on a Dell laptop fyi - curious but there it is.

This is my first time posting on the forum and I'd just like to say how impressed I am by the speed and quality of your responses, and the obvious interest you have in helping fellow sufferers. A BIG thank you.

Sorry for the delay in getting back. I've been trying to fix what seems to be an MS problem in that my XP SP3 firewall stops the Internet icon in Network Connections. Only solution I have found is to turn the firewall off! I know this is not the right forum but any leads would be welcome.

Jim D
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Tried Everything
Contributor 27th Aug, 2009 19:40
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
It's nice when a plan comes together!

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: Tried Everything
Contributor 27th Aug, 2009 21:10
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
Hi Jim D,
Is your firewall blocking all software attempts to connect to the 'net or just 'some' programs? I'm no expert but in my limited knowledge of firewalls most of the better programs go through a 'learning curve'-that is it asks permission on all programs inbound/outbound until it 'learns' what you tell it is safe to connect & then the nagging stops as it learns your permission(s). Most of the programs have a HELP or README section to help in the setup. Before I gave permission to any suspicious program I suggest you scan your system with a good anti-virus/anti-malware program. One of the best & also a free version is MBAM available here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Good luck & let us know how this turns out.

Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability