Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Cannot Access Online Scan

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
billwilson65 Cannot Access Online Scan
Member 26th Aug, 2009 22:54
Ranking: 0
User Since: 26th Aug, 2009
System Score: N/A
I recently ran a secunia online scan and it found several things that needed to be updated, including the latest updates from Microsoft and 2-3 Adobe Flash-related items. Plus a couple more updates that I cannot recall. After completing all the updates I decided to run the scan again to see that everything had been updated. I went back to secunia.com and clicked on the scan selection and on the next page I clicked on the Online Scan selection and IE shut down! I've tried it many times since then and I still get the same result.

I just got a suggestion today in another forum to update Java and I did that but it didn't help.

Any ideas what is wrong or how to fix it?

Thanks,
Bill

Slamgeden RE: Cannot Access Online Scan
Member 27th Aug, 2009 09:33
Score: 0
User Since: 17th Jul 2009
on 26th Aug, 2009 22:54, billwilson65 wrote:
I recently ran a secunia online scan and it found several things that needed to be updated, including the latest updates from Microsoft and 2-3 Adobe Flash-related items. Plus a couple more updates that I cannot recall. After completing all the updates I decided to run the scan again to see that everything had been updated. I went back to secunia.com and clicked on the scan selection and on the next page I clicked on the Online Scan selection and IE shut down! I've tried it many times since then and I still get the same result.

I just got a suggestion today in another forum to update Java and I did that but it didn't help.

Any ideas what is wrong or how to fix it?

Thanks,
Bill

Are you on Win 7? A thing to try could be the PSI. It shows more software, and works great!

--
Assorted Fnords.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
billwilson65 RE: Cannot Access Online Scan
Member 27th Aug, 2009 21:56
User Since: 26th Aug 2009
I am using Vista Home Premium. Sorry I forgot to include that info. I do have PSI installed but I'm not entirely happy with its results either so I usually also run the online scan when I get the usual notification.

I hope someone will come along and make a suggestion as to how to fix this problem or how to diagnose it.

Thanks for you reply.

Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Cannot Access Online Scan
Handling Contributor 27th Aug, 2009 22:01
Score: 11626
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Bill,
Does PSI run OK?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Aug, 2009 18:07
Yes, PSI runs OK and it keeps telling me that my Excel 2000, PowerPoint 2003, PowerPoint 2000, and Word 2000 need to be updated but after I run each update and re-scan PSI still says they need to be updated. I have Office 2000 Pro installed so I don't know why PowerPoint 2003 is even mentioned. I generally ignore PSI's warnings because they never seem to change!

Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Cannot Access Online Scan
Contributor 30th Aug, 2009 00:40
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi Bill;

Are these problems coming up as "insecure" or "end-of-life" in PSI? The reason I ask is they are fairly old. That's not to say they're no good, rather Microsoft is just not supporting them with security updates any longer.

regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Aug, 2009 04:31
Last edited on 30th Aug, 2009 04:32
They are in the insecure list. I believe that Microsoft is still providing security patches for Office 2000 even though it is not in the "supported" category.

Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Cannot Access Online Scan
Contributor 30th Aug, 2009 06:27
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Me again Bill;

Well that blows my theory out of the water. I thought they might be EOL with no more support. If PSI reports them as insecure, Microsoft is reporting that they are supported (ahem, excuse me).

Sorry, but I don't have any experiance with Office 2000. Perhaps Maurice will pull a rabbit out of the hat, again. He's very good, I'd listen to what he has to say.

good luck;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 30th Aug, 2009 10:13
Bill,
U are correct in that mainline support for Office 2000 has ceased but they will provide security updates.

The vital thing is to trust secunia. Somewhere on your PC there appears to be elements of the 2003 viewer. What is the path to the file?
To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, please follow there guidelines using the
ADVANCED interface:
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
* Click on the + sign of the programme to “expand’ it.
* Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Aug, 2009 17:01
Thanks for your advice Fred & Maurice. I'll try to update the Office stuff again and see what happens. I expect you are right that there is some kind of 2003 component on my PC. I'll look and see where that is when I work on this stuff again.

I still wish I could get the online scan to work too! When I type in secunia.com and then take the steps I listed earlier IE closes and doesn't even remember the "secunia.com" that I typed in to begin with, so I would guess it is closing because of some kind of error. Normally, if I manually enter a URL like that it will appear in the drop-down list afterwards. There is no error reported.

Thanks,
Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 30th Aug, 2009 21:13
Bill,
From a previous Microsoft article I have I do know that from July this year U must have SP3 installed to get any new security updates.

They will not be available on Microsoft Update because that only caters for 2003 & 2007.

This link might help U in your search.
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 31st Aug, 2009 03:24
Yes, I do have Office 2000 SP3 so I should be OK in that respect. I haven't tried to do the updates again yet. I'll get a chance to try that in a couple of days.

Thanks for your inputs.

Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability