Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Adobe Flash Player

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

This thread has been marked as locked.
rgn Adobe Flash Player
Member 4th Sep, 2009 21:09
Ranking: 0
User Since: 5th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
My scan says Adobe Flash Player needs updating to 10.0.22.87. I go to download Flash Player, and it's already installed, and updated. This has been happening for about a week now. Why does Secunia say Adobe is insecure?

alangauld RE: Adobe Flash Player
Member 4th Sep, 2009 21:42
Score: 0
User Since: 9th Apr 2009
I have the same problem. In fact, I have installed the Adobe update multiple times, I rescan, and still get the same security threat warning from Secunia. Secunia, do you pay any attention to these concerns, or are we just venting to no purpose???
Alan
Was this reply relevant?
+0
rgn RE: Adobe Flash Player
Member 4th Sep, 2009 22:27
User Since: 5th Dec 2008
I'm worried abut a security threat! Must be something to this? I also get this samething when I go to Microsoft update. Secunia says I'm at risk, on a level 4, with Power Point viewer. Microsoft scans and reports no new updates required!

What gives here?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Adobe Flash Player
Member 4th Sep, 2009 22:50
Just created Secunia account and got the "Adobe Flash Player" warning. I downloaded the fix and rescanned to still have the warning. Signed up for the forum to get help....... questioning whether I should have ever downloaded Secunia in the first place.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
akuigla RE: Adobe Flash Player
Member 5th Sep, 2009 10:10
User Since: 24th Mar 2009
I have the same problem about Adobe flash player.Every time secunia,after scanning,says that I have a level 4 security threat even I downloaded four times suggested solution.
My question to secunia people:
Do you read and respond to problems?
Or you just sit and think you did all it takes?
Im not happy with Secunia last month
Was this reply relevant?
+0
davidblisster RE: Adobe Flash Player
Member 5th Sep, 2009 19:22
User Since: 5th Sep 2009
Yeah I get the same problem. First time in the forum, and first post read, but i expected to find a solution here.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Sep, 2009 19:59
I wonder if the people are off on the weekends?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Adobe Flash Player
Expert Contributor 5th Sep, 2009 21:42
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 5th Sep, 2009 21:55
Hello to you new posters,

This is a community thread & the people who will respond & try to help you are "normal:o)" Secunia PSI users. Secunia do monitor this Forum & take note , but do not need to post very often. (If a problem is not fixed here , then you may need/be advised to contact "support" direct).

The folks who look after PSI are hardworking Danes & do indeed take weekends off to recuperate .

Before you post , I would suggest that in order to clarify your posts & for someone to help , you need to do the following :-

1)use PSI in "advanced" mode ;
2)in the "settings" tab make sure that the box in the first/upper section is NOT ticked in order to have the maximum info available ;
3)tell us in which "tab(s)" your problem programme is located ;
4)in that tab , click on the + in the box at the left end of the programme , the page will expand ;
5)in the expanded page , tell us what is written in the "installation path" ;
6)in the "toolbox" section , lower down , the link "technical details" should confirm the installation path details ;
7)click on the link "open folder" and you will see more details concerning the location of the "problem" .

If you are unable to resolve the problem yourself , all this info should allow someone on the forum to help/advise you .

I would then suggest you check for threads dealing with your problem , there are probably hundreds concerning Adobe.

To help you get started this is the easiest way to resolve your Adobe Flash problem :-

I would stress that it is very useful to read the Adobe Tech Notes where you find the link for the uninstaller and that you should close and exit all programmes you can do safely (including PSI using "exit" in the "tray icon menu") after downloading & BEFORE running the Adobe Flash uninstaller ; this requirement will also apply to Flash installers in the future.

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/261...

Hope this helps . Let us know how you get on .

Take care
Anthony

PS : if PSI finds something , you can be sure it is there ; how much of a security risk you face depends on several things , but always check it out.

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Sep, 2009 23:51
on 5th Sep, 2009 21:42, Anthony Wells wrote:
Hello to you new posters,

This is a community thread & the people who will respond & try to help you are "normal:o)" Secunia PSI users. Secunia do monitor this Forum & take note , but do not need to post very often. (If a problem is not fixed here , then you may need/be advised to contact "support" direct).

The folks who look after PSI are hardworking Danes & do indeed take weekends off to recuperate .

Before you post , I would suggest that in order to clarify your posts & for someone to help , you need to do the following :-

1)use PSI in "advanced" mode ;
2)in the "settings" tab make sure that the box in the first/upper section is NOT ticked in order to have the maximum info available ;
3)tell us in which "tab(s)" your problem programme is located ;
4)in that tab , click on the + in the box at the left end of the programme , the page will expand ;
5)in the expanded page , tell us what is written in the "installation path" ;
6)in the "toolbox" section , lower down , the link "technical details" should confirm the installation path details ;
7)click on the link "open folder" and you will see more details concerning the location of the "problem" .

If you are unable to resolve the problem yourself , all this info should allow someone on the forum to help/advise you .

I would then suggest you check for threads dealing with your problem , there are probably hundreds concerning Adobe.

To help you get started this is the easiest way to resolve your Adobe Flash problem :-

I would stress that it is very useful to read the Adobe Tech Notes where you find the link for the uninstaller and that you should close and exit all programmes you can do safely (including PSI using "exit" in the "tray icon menu") after downloading & BEFORE running the Adobe Flash uninstaller ; this requirement will also apply to Flash installers in the future.

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/261...

Hope this helps . Let us know how you get on .

Take care
Anthony

PS : if PSI finds something , you can be sure it is there ; how much of a security risk you face depends on several things , but always check it out.

Ok, I went into the Advanced tab.

I check on the box, it"s not "ticked".

The expanded page is in the insecure tab

The installation path is "C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\flash\flash10bocx

Line (7) I didn't understand what to look for in any of the folders.

I confirmed the same settings are in the installation path.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Sep, 2009 00:01
Last edited on 6th Sep, 2009 00:07
10b.ocx is out of date/insecure and was not removed when 10c.ocx was installed (in the Flash Folder) -assuming you have done that update - because it was probably in use at the time - maybe PSI was running .

Line7 - click the "open folder" link & you should go to the Flash Folder ; one of the files will show/be numbered 10b.ocx , another 10c.ocx amongst others.

Resolve the problem in the method shown in the linked thread .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bjm__ RE: Adobe Flash Player
Member 6th Sep, 2009 00:05
Score: 64
User Since: 9th Mar 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 6th Sep, 2009 07:44
Hello rgn,

10bocx is old ActiveX and PSI is seeing old ActiveX.

Please Please Please see the link that was provided...
People are trying to Help you...
You must participate...
Read and Understand > Flash Player requires you to run Flash Player Uninstaller...

Please see link ...http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/261...
Please Read and Understand info provided...
Please post back as required...

Regards
bjm-

link repaired...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Sep, 2009 02:26
The link doesn't work. It gives me a "technical error" message.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Sep, 2009 07:30
Last edited on 6th Sep, 2009 07:45
Hi rgn,

sorry, I fixed link and also pasted below...
__________________________________________________ ____________
RE: PSI error says update 9.x when I have 10

by Maurice Joyce on 26th Aug, 2009 21:59

User Since: 4th Jan, 2009

Secunia System Score: 100%

I take it U are a new member & what @HBR says in the previous post is very relevant. There are now many good solutions on this Forum to a mulitute of problems. It is just a matter of searching for the one that suits U. That said, here is the solution for Flash.

To remove all versions of Flash from the C drive of your PC:

1. Download & use the flash Uninstaller from here:

#####Before actually running the uninstaller it is a good idea to close all browsers,PSI and any other programme U think may be using Flash #####

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

2. Reboot to clear out any left over ocx files.

3. Rescan using PSI - if there are any insecure Flash elements left what is the path to them? U should not proceed to stage 4 until all U clear any problems found.(The PSI overview page may look a little odd because it uses Flash for the pictorials)

Note: At this stage,if PSI finds any elements of Flash in the C:\i386 folder or on any drive other than C that is an OEM reinstallation partition (normally D drive) or a drive U use solely to backup your work U can safely create an ignore rule.

4. Reinstall the latest Internet Explorer Flash Player from here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/

4A.If U are also using Firefox, Opera and other Gecko-based browsers U need this link as well:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_fire...

5. Go to add/remove & double check Adobe have not installed the useless Adobe Download Manager - if U see an entry remove it.

--
Maurice

HP Intel Pentium 4
Windows XP Home SP3
IE8
__________________________________________________ ________
Regards
bjm-
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Sep, 2009 19:52
I've been using PSI for over a year. Never had any trouble updating what needs to. Can't I just delete Adobe?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Sep, 2009 20:46
Hi rgn

Yes, you can just delete Adobe via Control Panel...your System your decision.
Please Note:
Adobe bloatware unfortunately leaves dross/remants/old info that PSI Scans will see and you could just ignore. But, the recommended steps as explained by Maurice Joyce have been well established as the preferred and safe methodology.

Flash Player and Shockwave player have vendor supplied, vendor instructed required Tools to properly Uninstall their products.

Your System your choice...

Regards
bjm-

Was this reply relevant?
+0
J.Broendum RE: Adobe Flash Player
Member 6th Sep, 2009 21:06
User Since: 6th Sep 2009
I have tried several times to Download Adobe Flash Player 10.x,
but PSI continously claim that 2 programmes are unsafe.
What shall I do?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Sep, 2009 21:54

Read my post (#8) above .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Sep, 2009 22:35
Hi Anthony Wells,

You have consistently and expertly pointed posters down the best right path and I have tried in my simple way to help by pointing poster to Maurice Joyce quotes.

and yet, posters do not appear to read or understand and often fail to post back with their results.

The Forum is a two way street...

I applaud your diligence and appreciate your dedication to this Forum.

Regards
bjm-
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Sep, 2009 18:13
I did the uninstall, via the link. It wouldn't complete. Says Adobe is running. But, where I don't know.

Give us novice users a break, and give us a easier version of removal. Not all of us are at levels you people are with this computer expertise.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Sep, 2009 19:31
Last edited on 7th Sep, 2009 19:34
You have the easiest version , I'm afraid , that is why we give it to you when you first post here.

I'm a novice about many IT things ; you need to find someone you can trust to help you on a personal basis , they can help with the stuff you find difficult to follow in Forums .

Believe me , this Forum is heavenly compared to many others.

If you read the Tech Note where you found the uinstaller it tells you to "close and exit" any and all progrmmes which might use Adobe Flash . The problem 10b.ocx that PSI has identifird is used by IE and by PSI . you need to close both & exit PSI using the right click on Secunia tray icon menu (make sure the icon disappears). Make sure you do this BEFORE you actually run the installer. Neither you manually nor the uninstaller can remove this file , if it is being used .

It is important to get rid of this security risk , so tell me what you don't understand . Write down or print out the instructions to refer to when PSI is shut.

TRy again , it is important to you.

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Sep, 2009 21:47
OK! I'm getting somewhere!!!

I did uninstall the 10.xxx. So, now I have the 9.xx version on the old scan. I will do a scan and see if it all gone. Then do I install the new version?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Sep, 2009 21:58

If Flash 9xx is still there you need to tell us the installation pathway.

If your scan is clean , Install the latest Flash version 10 ; different browsers need different versions as described in Maurice Joyce's instructions.

The latest installers contain an uninstaller of their own , so , start good habits by closing and exiting your Browsers , PSI , etc. after you download the installer(s) and BEFORE you run them.

Keep going.

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Sep, 2009 22:06
It's in c:\Program files\Action Gaming,Inc\video Plker for Winners\flash player.exe
That is 9.xx version only.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Sep, 2009 22:23

As Secunia says Flash Version 9xx is insecure that means there is a potential risk using the programme where it is installed/embedded.

I would suggest that you contact the supplier of this programme & ask them if/how/when/etc they are going to update their programme . If you use it as is , at least you now know there is a definite risk involved - I cannot quantify that , I'm afraid.

This does not stop you now downloading Flash version 10 ; it will effect your Secunia score which is "cosmetic". I would not create an ignore rule for version 9xx as it needs fixing.

Load and fire.

Anthony.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Sep, 2009 22:29
Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Sep, 2009 22:32

My pleasure .

Keep asking the questions , you'll get there in the end !:o))

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability