Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Unsecured Patches

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

This thread has been marked as locked.
just4asec Unsecured Patches
Member 6th Sep, 2009 18:30
Ranking: 0
User Since: 8th Aug, 2009
System Score: N/A
I have deleted my Adobe 10.x using my add/remove programs which got rid of one of the offenders. However I still have three left which are:
Adobe Flash Player 10.x (Adobe AIR plug-in)
Adobe Flash Player 10.x (Active X Control)
Adobe Flash Player 9.x (General Plug-in)

I am not very computer savvy so need your help. First of all how can I get rid of these offenders?
Second of all, If I need Adobe player for something and I download it again, will I be faced with the same problem? Why doesn't the vendor offer a proper patch so that a scan will not show up in Secunia?
Lee

Anthony Wells RE: Unsecured Patches
Expert Contributor 6th Sep, 2009 18:53
Score: 2384
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello ,

To save yourself time , read my post#8 on this thread :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/268...

To fix the Adobe Air problem , if it persists , read this thread :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/268...

Let us know how you get on.

Anthony.

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
just4asec RE: Unsecured Patches
Member 7th Sep, 2009 16:52
Score: 0
User Since: 8th Aug 2009
Thanks for the reply Anthony. By using your advise and using the Adobe remove program I was able to get rid of the 10.x (Active x Control). I still have the (Adobe AIR plug-in) to contend with. Anthony I am a computer dummy so please have patience with me. Can you tell me what & why the Adobe AIR plug-in is used for and why perhaps one must have it loaded into his computer? I might ask the same question for the entire Adobe 10.x download. Does one really need it? Is this plug-in the same as the Adobe Reader which must be used to read some documents?

I think I will try to remove the 9.x (General Plug-in) next. I will read the comments regarding the 9.x and let you know how I come out. Thanks.
Lee
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Sep, 2009 16:58
I really don't think I even need the (Adobe AIR plug-in) How do I uninstall it? Using your link above to uninstall Adobe 10.x did not uninstall the AIR. It says something about have a website with you at all times and not sure I need that feature. Sounds like a frill I don't need.
Lee
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Sep, 2009 17:09
Hello Lee ,

This link tells you about Adobe Air which is still basically a developers' tool. You probably don't need it & can remove it using Add/Remove or update it using the link in the the thread I gave you earlier. Your choice.

http://www.adobe.com/products/air/everyone/

Flash helps make moving images work in web pages you visit and is pretty much universal , so you would miss it . Of course it is not essential to actually make your computer function.

Use the PSI "advanced" mode to locate Version 9 of the General plug-in ; it could be a security risk depending on it's location.

Let us know how you get on and feel free to ask for whatever help you need.

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Sep, 2009 17:23
I downloaded Adobe's uninstaller
* Windows: uninstall_flash_player.exe (205 KB) (updated 7/30/09)
As stated, it got rid of the Active x Control but not the AIR plug-in.
The thread you originally sent me to states to download the new AIR plug-in but not how to delete it. According to Adobe this download should have deleted the AIR plug-in also but it didn't. Advise??
Lee
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Sep, 2009 17:42
I have two (2) OPTIONAL folders. One lists Acrobat Reader 9.0 and the other Acrobat Reader 5.0
Are these in any way connected to the 9.x (General Plug-in) that is listed in Secunia in my scan?
Should I delete these and what is the best way to do that so all is deleted?
Lee
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Sep, 2009 18:18

I don't know your OS , but I use XP SP3 & my advice relates to it .

To remove the AIR programme you go to the Control Panel and select "Add or Remove Programmes" and you should see AIR listed. Click on it & select delete (my words may not be exact as I'm translating from French , but you get the idea , I hope).

Sorry , but I don't know your term "optional" & I have Adobe Reader , but not Acrobat . However , the
Reader 9 file is the one you need to read PDF's. The 5 file may or may not be needed by Acrobat , but if PSI is not showing it as "insecure" or "out of date" , then leave it for now , IF it ain't broke , don't fix it .

You need to find the installation path of the 9 general plug-in using the "advanced" mode in PSI - otherwise I can't advise about it . It is likely connected to your AIR programme .

Keep at it .
Anthony.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Sep, 2009 18:29
Okay Anthony I got to my Add/Remove from my Control Panel and removed the AIR which got rid of that from Secunia. I thought I had deleted that before but hadn't. While at it I got maybe over ambitious and uninstalled Adobe 5.x & 9.x.
Secunia still has 9.x listed as a threat however. Why is that?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Sep, 2009 18:34
Anthony even though I deleted 9.x from my add/remove in the control panel the threat is still there. When I move the cursor over the 9.x in Secunia it mentions Mozilla which is my browser. Somehow there are some remnants in my browser that need to be removed. Any ideas how to clear?
Lee
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Sep, 2009 18:36
Don't think getting rid of 9x Reader was a good idea at this stage , especially if you want to read a PDF . You will have to reload it or an equivalent at a later stage.

PSI has detected Flash 9 & you need to find it - use the method detailed in the post"#8 on the thread I first linked you to . Otherwise I simply cannot help you .

Go find it .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Sep, 2009 18:40
Anthony when I move the cursor over the 9.x in Secunia it has this description.
Files\mozilla\Plugins\NPSWF32.dll

I can always download 9.x again if needed I suspect. Just striving for 100%
From this location what do you suggest?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Sep, 2009 18:46

You need to find the offending file . You can do this by using the + sign (on the left) to expand the detected programme & click on "open folder" in the toolbox bar lower down.

Mousing over is not enough , but the Mozilla location is normal as their Browsers use the General Plug-in.

Open the folder with PSI or you can find it yourself by following the pathway you have found.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Sep, 2009 20:04
I believe I went to the right place. I went to secured and clicked on the same 9.x and it brought up the same Mozilla file.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Sep, 2009 21:03
Last edited on 7th Sep, 2009 21:06
Lee , I'm not quite following - too many "short cuts" in our posts.

To be clear , we should state Reader or Flash before the version number. They are not inter-related for our purposes .

By mousing over , you have found the location of the Flash version 9xx (General Plug-in) file in a Mozilla Folder . You need to actually go to that folder and that file in order to delete it.

You say there is a 9 in secured ; I don't understand you.

First , please answer a simple (stupid) question ; are you using PSI in "advanced" mode ? - to be sure click on the word "advanced" found in the top right corner of any PSI display page.

Second , in "advanced" mode , in which tab is Flash version 9xx General Plug-in displayed.

Anthony.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Sep, 2009 23:49
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I cursored over the offending 9.x unsecured item in the simple display and it gave me the location as I stated in the previous message. Then I went to the advanced and clicked on the X and it gave the same location.
If you say all I have to do is go to that location and delete it I will do that.
Lee
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th Sep, 2009 00:13

Lee ,

Using "advanced" mode , when you click on the + sign in the box at the left side of the programme , the page expands & lower down you should see a bar titled "toolbox" and near the centre of the bar a foder icon & "open folder" written beneath it ; this is a link , click on it and the folder containing the Flash file NPSWF32.dll should open. ( You can always navigate to the file yourself , if you so wish). Mouse over the file to see the version number ; if it is the malevolent 9xx version then right click on it & choose delete .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Sep, 2009 04:49
Anthony at this point I want to be absolutely sure of what I am to do. In the Mozilla Plugins folder there are a lot of files.

There is (1) GetFlash.exe file
There are (10) dll files
There is (1) NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe
There is (1) GetFlash.exe.manifest

Files\mozilla\Plugins\NPSWF32.dll us the offender

Apparently Mozilla likes to use Adobe. My question is should I delete all these files from the Mozilla Plug-in Folder? Would it hurt anything? I could perhaps at some later time download the program again right? I am after the 9.x offender right now which is in the Mozilla\Plugin folder that is listed as a unsecured offender.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th Sep, 2009 16:33
Last edited on 8th Sep, 2009 16:54
Hello Lee ,

Adobe Flash helps you see moving images on the websites you visit , you would miss it . However , Adobe is notorious for leaving old , out of date & possibly insecure files all over the place .

Secunia PSI is very good at locating these files for you . What you do with them depends on many things . I would strongly recommend that you remove/update insecure files. If you are NOT sure , ask on this Forum , as you have done. I would recommend not to delete anything unless you are 200% sure you do not need it & not to fiddle with the registry on your own.

You already got rid of the insecure Flash ActiveX used by IE ; now we need to get rid of the insecure General Plug-in file used by Mozilla browsers.

I am non techie (as must be obvious) , so I believe that if it ain't broke don't fix it .

Now that PSI has told you what and where the problem is , you have got to the folder and the ONLY file you need to find is the one labelled NPSWF32.dll with the version number 9xx . To see the version number if it is not obvious , mouse over or right click on the files , select "properties" , then select version (tab) .

When you are sure you have found it , right click and select delete.

Let us know how you get on

Anthony.

You may find life easier if you Google (or whichever search engine you choose) some (of your) basic questions say for example "what is Adobe Flash" ; this is the first reference using Google :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Sep, 2009 17:14
Okay the only one I have left (insecure patch) is Sun Java 1.6x/6.x
I went into Advanced and this guy sits under WINNT. When I tried to move the offending file into the trash bin I got a warning that it is used by others such as printing etc..
Thus I did not remove it. But what to do?
I believe this is the latest version is it not?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Sep, 2009 17:32
Okay Anthony I clicked on the blue arrow. I did not notice this before. This downloaded Java's program again which cured the unsecured issue. So in the Simple view I am now at 100%. However when I go to the Advanced view I have other unsecured issues. Why is this?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th Sep, 2009 17:34
Last edited on 8th Sep, 2009 17:34
Java has a similar history to Adobe as to leaving stuff behind ; but you would help us both by telling us the version & the installation pathway that PSI has pointed up .

There are lots of threads on the problem as you might guess . Maurice Joyce comes to your rescue once again & this is meant to be easier than Adobe ; so follow his instructions to the letter in this thread :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/257...

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th Sep, 2009 17:51
Lee , even though Java is now secure , do read MJ's post in the thread I have linked you to .

Simple is for basic "easy to fix" & the essential insecurities . Secunia believe (so they say) that doing something is better than nothing - so they don't expect newcomers to "jump in the deep end".

More complicated , less obvious & not always dangerous (depending on their location on your computer) appear in "advanced" mode . It is still very important to check out what PSI finds ; when the problem or solution is not obvious we end up here , hoping that a joint community effort sheds some light ; occasionally Secunia themselves need to join in.

Now you are started , keep checking . If you need help try to find a thread on your problem - use the dropdown menu's at the top of the thread list page select 3rd party in the left menu , then vendor in the new left menu & product on the right. Always give as much info as you can & hopefully someone will help.

Keep us advised of your progress.

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Sep, 2009 18:00
Anthony as stated clicking on the blue arrow and downloading Java again cleared up all loose ends and cured the Java threat. Since I have found the Secunia website I have been trying to clean up my computer. I now have no threats showing in the SIMPLE view. But I have (9) issues showing in the ADVANCED view. Does SIMPLE view only show level 4 and above?

Anyway here is another issue I have that I wonder if you can help me with.
The first item on my list is: AVC anti-virus Free Edition. I used to have this program in my computer but removed it. This it is no longer in my Control Panel Add/Remove List!!! So why is Secunia listing it? Further checking in Secunia ADVANCED mode, indicates this program exists in my "D" drive which is basically a backup drive in my computer. "C" drive is my main computer drive.

This leaves me with the question of how to completely remove AVC from my "D" drive? When I go to my Control Panel it is obviously only looking at my "C" drive apparently. Not being computer savvy from this point I am not sure what to do to completely remove AVC from my "D" drive and need further instruction.
Lee
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th Sep, 2009 18:25

The MJ Java linked thread tells you about JavaRa & how to get rid of the Java dross which might have accumulated on your computer over time. Check it out later , if/wen you have time.

I don't know the selection criteria used by Secunia , but now you know about advanced you need to stay here to get to a real level of security.

I assume you mean AVG (not that it matters). Secunia PSI will scan anything it can get at , but does not second guess as to why or what the location is or whether it poses a risk or not . If your D drive is a back up then it may not be easy/allowed for you to remove items & indeed as a "back up" the files are not likely to be so available to the bad guys . Follow the pathway or use "open folder" to the AVG folder & try to delete it . If you cannot tell me what the folder contains ; if it is not a security risk & it probably is not , you can create an "ignore rule" using the link "ignore programme" (to the right of open folder) in the toolbar . PSI will continue to scan your AVG folder but will not display it to you . The rule wiil show at the bottom of the "settings" tab in PSI.

Keep going & take your time.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th Sep, 2009 18:37

Lee ,

AS a separate issue , if you have back up files on your D drive and no other back up , you should consider backing up to another media support , off your computer , anything you cannot afford to lose - photo's , music , manuscripts , etc. - if your hard drive fails so does your "D" backup .

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Sep, 2009 19:16
Well that is not true Anthony. If my C drive fails that will not affect my D drive. They are separate drives in my computer. I have TWO drives! I think you are perhaps thinking that my main drive is sectioned which it is not.
Lee
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th Sep, 2009 20:17

I hear what you say Lee, but whether it is partition or separate drive (I was not assuming one or the other) , if your "drive" carrying your back up fails & believe me , it is possible) , then it is not relevant to argue the toss . Golden Rule number one for home computers is : "Back up your Back up" - don't just take my word for it , ask around .

Take care

Anthony.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Unsecured Patches
Member 8th Sep, 2009 20:43
Last edited on 8th Sep, 2009 20:55
on 8th Sep, 2009 19:16, just4asec wrote:
Well that is not true Anthony. If my C drive fails that will not affect my D drive. They are separate drives in my computer. I have TWO drives! I think you are perhaps thinking that my main drive is sectioned which it is not.
Lee

Anthony, Lee is correct in a way.

On my XP Pro system I have 2 separate drives and I manage backups with Acronis® True Image Home 2009 and on my Windows 7 system I use an external USB drive that I backup to and move files between the two systems when needed.

The 2 80GB drives from my old dead PIII are still working like a charm.

Lee, if you are copying files from C: to D: then if the files are detected as vulnerable on C: then they will be the same vulnerable files on D: so you have to remove the vulnerable files on D: as well.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Sep, 2009 22:46
I removed the AVC virus program from my C drive quite some time ago. Did not know about any problem with it until I downloaded Secunia. There I found that the program exists on my D drive. But the problem is I don't know how to remove it!! My Control Panel ADD/REMOVE only works on C drive. My problem now is how do I remove AVC from my D drive completely??
Lee
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th Sep, 2009 22:47

Hello Lee and Yokenny ,

My point is simple ; at one end is Heaven with 100% security and nothing fails or breaks , at the other is malaware Hell and computers fall to thieves , fire ,water , pest and the plague . You fit in there at some point ; but if , for example , your computer is nicked it doesn't matter how many drives are on it , everything goes with it. Choose your own scenario because shit happens.

As I said , what you cannot afford to lose ,the things that matter to you , I would recommend you back up OFF your computer , the media is your choice , and put them somewhere safe .

I cannot quantify the risks involved , but the things I count as invaluable and cannot be replaced are backed up OFF my computer .

Your system is your system , my experience over of over 40 years of using computers is my experience . Everyone should make their own decision as they see things & according to the knowledge they have & by knowing where to find/fill in the gaps.

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th Sep, 2009 22:50
Last edited on 8th Sep, 2009 22:58

Lee ,

I gave you as much as I could earlier :

Quote:
I assume you mean AVG (not that it matters). Secunia PSI will scan anything it can get at , but does not second guess as to why or what the location is or whether it poses a risk or not . If your D drive is a back up then it may not be easy/allowed for you to remove items & indeed as a "back up" the files are not likely to be so available to the bad guys . Follow the pathway or use "open folder" to the AVG folder & try to delete it . If you cannot tell me what the folder contains ; if it is not a security risk & it probably is not , you can create an "ignore rule" using the link "ignore programme" (to the right of open folder) in the toolbar . PSI will continue to scan your AVG folder but will not display it to you . The rule wiil show at the bottom of the "settings" tab in PSI.Unquote

If you are using a Back up Programme , it may let you retrieve a file to your "C" drive where you can delete it or you may be able to "drag & drop" it. To my way of thinking I don't think it is a major security risk . Tell us what is in the folder and or what file PSI points to .

It's my bedtime & I have things to do , so will follow up here tomorrow - shoild you need me.

Take care Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Sep, 2009 00:12
Anthony and Lee why don't you update the Secunia Profile with your locations?

Lee I guess you will have to use an combination of Windows Explorer (Windows key +E) to navigate to the D: drive to remove the AVC (AVG) files and Folders plus use ADVANCED to display the Unsecured Patches on the D: drive.
What application do you use to backup the C: drive?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Sep, 2009 01:43
Regarding the last two posts. Anthony you are entitled to your own beliefs. Regarding backup of my files, it makes NO DIFFERENCE whether the backup drive is internal or external! My files are still backed up on this other drive. The only worry I have is if somebody carts off my computer. Then I would want to have a copy of what I have in case I lose it all. My son has made a copy for me however it is not being kept up to date on a regular basis.
If I could get in touch with my son he could tell me how to remove the AVC anti-virus from D drive. But he is out of town.
For the last post, you would have to get more specific for me because I am computer dense. You say +E which kind of goes over my head. Do you press +E on the keyboard to switch drives? When can you do that, at any time?
Lee
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Sep, 2009 15:05
The Windows key is the one just right of the left Ctrl key with a picture of Windows on it.

Hold it down with a left finger then tap E with a right finger and that gives you Windows Explorer:
http://www.seoconsultants.com/windows/key

I guess waiting for help from your son may be the best bet but have a look around with Windows Explorer and as long as you do not delete anything then you can't hurt the system.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
twtytei RE: Unsecured Patches
Member 9th Sep, 2009 15:47
User Since: 16th May 2009
Because some program used the Adobe flash dll files is not up to date,you can replace the dll files with the new dll files in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Sep, 2009 18:01

Hello Lee ,

Glad your son has a back up of your "treasure" and keeps it safe for you ; that's all I need(ed) to know
!:o))

I'm inclined to agree with Yokenny concerning removing your AVC(AVG) folders from your BackUp on your "D" drive ; it is not a given thing and having your son's close advice would be ideal ; there is no rush , as the security risk would seem to be low. I rely greatly on a couple of "personal experts" when the going gets technical !! My learning curve still goes straight up !

If you have any other "insecure" or "out of date" programmes showing on your PSI "advanced" scan & which are not in your BackUp , can we help you with those ??

Do not hesitate to ask and also let us know your progress.

Take care
Anthony.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Factsheets
Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability