Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: removal and installation

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
aresin removal and installation
Member 15th Sep, 2009 21:22
Ranking: 0
User Since: 15th Sep, 2009
System Score: N/A
when updating Secunia PSI i routinely remove the program (never saw any instruction to the contrary) and routinely receive a failed message during the procedure. the program however appears successfully removed. subsequently i install the new version, and once again i routinely receive an installation failed message - yet the program runs just fine subsequently. comments please?

Slamgeden RE: removal and installation
Member 16th Sep, 2009 08:25
Score: 0
User Since: 17th Jul 2009
Are you updating the PSI? Keep in mind, the latest version only adds Localization! It's not a general update.

--
Assorted Fnords.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
aresin RE: removal and installation
Member 16th Sep, 2009 10:02
User Since: 15th Sep 2009
OK, I did not know that, some programs do require uninstall when upgrading to a new version, Secunia did not say and I thought I'd rather play it safe.
So when I see in the right lower corner that "new version is available" all I need to do is to downloaded and run it, without touching the installed program, is that correct?
Fine, but that still does not explain the error messages seen during uninstall and reinstall of the program, what about that?
Maybe I am too picky, but things like these that I do not understand and cannot explain tend to worry me.
Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Slamgeden RE: removal and installation
Member 16th Sep, 2009 13:15
User Since: 17th Jul 2009
on 16th Sep, 2009 10:02, aresin wrote:
OK, I did not know that, some programs do require uninstall when upgrading to a new version, Secunia did not say and I thought I'd rather play it safe.
So when I see in the right lower corner that "new version is available" all I need to do is to downloaded and run it, without touching the installed program, is that correct?
Fine, but that still does not explain the error messages seen during uninstall and reinstall of the program, what about that?
Maybe I am too picky, but things like these that I do not understand and cannot explain tend to worry me.
Thanks

What is the error message? If it complains about NSIS and corruption, wipe temp files, then try again.

--
Assorted Fnords.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
aresin RE: removal and installation
Member 16th Sep, 2009 19:17
User Since: 15th Sep 2009
No, it simply says "uninstall failed" or "installation failed" about halfway thought the process, in a window that gives only one option "abort" and, strangely enough, in the install case the next window asks "would you like to open Secunia now?" and the program runs just fine. The first few times I thought - well, another silly computer glitch, but then it seemed quite strange, particularly with the program that claims to remedy shortcomings in all other programs...
Also, apropos to your comment that the update file makes only some alterations to the existing [rpgram, is it not strange that unistalling the program and then running the freshly downloaded file will restore the fully functional program - unless the "update" download was a full installation file?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: removal and installation
Member 17th Sep, 2009 00:09
on 16th Sep, 2009 19:17, aresin wrote:
No, it simply says "uninstall failed" or "installation failed" about halfway thought the process, in a window that gives only one option "abort" and, strangely enough, in the install case the next window asks "would you like to open Secunia now?" and the program runs just fine. The first few times I thought - well, another silly computer glitch, but then it seemed quite strange, particularly with the program that claims to remedy shortcomings in all other programs...
Also, apropos to your comment that the update file makes only some alterations to the existing [rpgram, is it not strange that unistalling the program and then running the freshly downloaded file will restore the fully functional program - unless the "update" download was a full installation file?
Thanks for your thoughts.

It is a full installation file.
You must exit PSI completely then run the installation file.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
sparge RE: removal and installation
Member 28th Feb, 2010 15:19
User Since: 27th Feb 2010
I just installed PSI for the first time and I have the same "problem". The installer seemed to get stuck, and when I clicked Show Details, the last line showing related to a .inf file. After a couple of minutes a separate little error message popped up saying "Installation failed".When I clicked OK, however, the installer informed me that installation had been successful. And sure enough, the program seems to be running just fine. I'm with the OP on this one - just because the program seems to be running OK, doesn't mean that it is. Something triggered the error message, and presumably this is not normal behaviour; so what does it indicate?

Andy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: removal and installation
Expert Contributor 28th Feb, 2010 15:39
Score: 2434
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello Andy ,

I have had similar problems with other software and "seemingly" suffered no ill effects ; Windows installers have a world of their own to which I am not privileged .

If nobody picks up on this , you might want to ask support@secunia.com on Tuesday to clarify this matter for you .

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability