Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: End of Life programs

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Nikilet End of Life programs
Member 29th Sep, 2009 00:54
Ranking: 7
User Since: 15th Jul, 2008
System Score: N/A
I updated the items shown as needing updates in my Secunia PSI scan.

Under end-of-life programs it shows
Macromedia Flash Player 8.x (ActiveX Control)
This is associated with a particular game from Shockwave which I
actually just installed for my grandson to play.
Shockwave Player 10.x (SwInit.exe)
Shockwave Player 10.x (SwOnce Dll)
These are in Windows/System32/Macromedia/Shockwave10

Are these things that should be removed, uninstalled?

Slamgeden RE: End of Life programs
Member 29th Sep, 2009 08:31
Score: 0
User Since: 17th Jul 2009
The serious answer is "yes". Delete them all. Everything flagged as "End-Of-Life" is no longer supported by the vendor, so there will never be any more updates, no security patches or anything. This means there will likely be many unsolved holes in this software, so it represents a big risk. Get rid of it all.

--
Assorted Fnords.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: End of Life programs
Expert Contributor 29th Sep, 2009 15:38
Score: 2414
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 29th Sep, 2009 15:45
Some Games also insist on downloading/reinstalling Shockwave 10 , after you have removed it ; this thread has more details :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/276...

If you play such Games you run a security risk ( same as that of using out of date Flash). You might check with the programme's supplier to see if they have an update (unlikely) or if you can update the embedded files (slight posibility) or ??

What is the "installation path" for the Flash ActiveX ??

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Nikilet RE: End of Life programs
Member 29th Sep, 2009 18:29
Score: 7
User Since: 15th Jul 2008
I uninstalled the game I had just downloaded and when I ran Secunia again that Flash 8.x was no longer listed.

As to the 2 Shockwave Player entries, how do I remove them? When I go to Add/Remove it now shows only Adobe Shockwave Player 11.5. I assume it wouldn't be good to just to into System32/Macromed folder and delete them to the trash.

Also, someone said if you don't need this to uninstall it altogether, but you do need this in order to download and play games from Shockwave.com, don't you?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: End of Life programs
Handling Contributor 29th Sep, 2009 18:38
Score: 11569
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Shockwave

1. Uninstall Shockwave for your OS from the clearly marked link here: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates...

2. Reboot to clear out any left over ocx files.

3. Rescan using PSI. Are there any outstanding files that are insecure? These should be cleared out before proceeding to serial 4.

Note 1: At this stage,if PSI finds any elements of Shockwave in the C:\i386 folder or on any drive other than C that is an OEM reinstallation partition (normally D drive) or a drive U use solely to backup your work U can safely create an ignore rule.

Note 2: The path on the C Drive to any remaining insecurity is important. Does it point to the Shockwave Player or another Adobe product that has a Flash element? If it points to Shockwave right click on the file(s) & delete them. If it points elsewhere reinstalling Shockwave will not necessarily clear the problem.

4. Reinstall Shockwave from here:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_shockwave/tech/

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Sep, 2009 18:55
I have downloaded the installation file for the new Shockwave.

When I click on your link to download the uninstaller from Adobe the page opens but then freezes. I can't click on anything, I can't even close out the page.

Also, every time I come to the Secunia forum it won't let me log in and I end up having to create a new password to get into the site.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Sep, 2009 19:00
I Googled Adobe Shockwave Player uninstaller and was able to download the file from www.adobe.com/shockwave/.../download.cgi?...SWUnin stall

but that page you gave me the link to is still open and frozen.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 29th Sep, 2009 19:05
Just tested the link I gave U & it works OK.

Try this tool:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Once U open the programme scroll around highlight each entries U can clearly see as Shockwave.

Once highlighted press the remove button (bottom right.

Rescan - if all is clear install the new version.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Sep, 2009 19:32
I uninstalled SP using the file from the link I Googled. I restarted. After restart I wanted to try that link you gave me again to see if it still froze and it did. I also got the pop up that "Internet Explorer has stopped working" ... and then "Internet Explorer is restarting."

I ran Secunia PSI and it showed no end-of-life programs.

I installed the new SP using the file from the link you gave me.

I came back to this thread and again tried that link you gave for the uninstaller and this time it opened right up and was fine. I have no idea what was going on with that.

In any event, it would appear that everything is straightened out now and I thank you for your help.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Sep, 2009 19:48
Last edited on 29th Sep, 2009 19:49
Do you have any idea why I keep having to create a new password every time I want to log in here? I use RoboForm. Do you think it's something with that program or is it something with this forum?

As long as I have your attention I decided to run something else past you. There have been three items in my "insecure" programs list forever and I've just been ignoring them because I don't know what they are.

All three are listed as Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.x

The first 2 show a path of C/Windows/SDOLD/Download ... and then followed by a long list of letters and numbers and each ends with /msxml6.dll

The third shows a path: D/Windows/System32/msxml6.dll (D being the backup drive I believe)

When I click on the Download Solution it just takes me to Windows Update and my Windows is up to date.

Do you know what these are or if I should be worried about them?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 29th Sep, 2009 21:48
Delete your Ignore Rules & try this:

I also use Roboform but not to log into Secunia. I just click the icon in the System Tray & it opens & logs on.

If D is your back up drive & does not have an Operating System on it U can create an ignore rule for the whole drive.

Creating an IGNORE RULE

Click on the SETTINGS tab>scroll to the bottom & click on CREATE IGNORE RULE

In the RULE NAME BOX insert something like MY BACKUP DRIVE

In the RULE BOX type D:\ (or the drive letter U wish to ignore)

Click SAVE IGNORE RULE>CLOSE

The drive will continue to be scanned by default but the result will not be published.

MSXML
The folder with the insecurity belongs to Windows Update. Install the latest MSXML CORE SERVICES 6 file from the list here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin...
Ensure U select CORE SERVICES 6 & the correct version that matches your OS.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Sep, 2009 21:55
Two downloads are shown for this. One is for Windows Vista and the other is for Windows Vista Service Pack 1. I have Vista with both Service Packs 1 and 2.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Sep, 2009 22:03
I noticed that the downloads for Vista and Vista with SP1 are the same, KB954459.

I went through my upate history and I already have this installed.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 29th Sep, 2009 22:04
Vista SP2 should not have been affected by the vulnerability hence no link.

Confirn U have completed a MANUAL run of Microsoft Update & have installed all the files offered to U?

If U have elected not to install some of the optional offering what are they?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Sep, 2009 22:17
I have always installed all recommended updates. The only updates I have not installed are the Silverlight, Windows Live Essentials and the IE8.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 29th Sep, 2009 22:33
Last edited on 30th Sep, 2009 11:32
OK - I will dig around a bit more for U.

Edit:

This folder C/Windows/SDOLD is for Microsoft update Software Distribution

From the path U gave me I believe it is perfectly safe to renamed rather than delete them. If things go pearshaped (unlikely) U can then revert back.

Try this:
Delete the ignore rules U have created for MSXML.
Navigate to the path U gave me - C/Windows/SDOLD/Download ... and then followed by a long list of letters and numbers and each ends with /msxml6.dll - right click and rename them both by adding _OLD at the end.
Rescan - has that removed the insecurity?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Oct, 2009 06:11
Before I do anything, I did some further checking because now Secunia tells me that both IE7 and Firefox are insecure and that since both programs have been patched there is no solution.

This is what was said about all of these MSXML deals:
Highly Critical
Impact:
Cross Site Scripting
DoS
System access
Where: From remote
Solution Status: Vendor Patch

So maybe these are more serious than I thought. I hate to keep pestering you as you've been so kind and helpful, but what is your assessment of this report from Secunia on these end-of-life entries, and is there something I should be doing about these browser warnings? On those the report for IE7 said:
Moderately critical
Impact: Spoofing
Where: From remote
Solution Status: Unpatched

and for Firefox:
Critical:
Not critical
Impact: Manipulation of data
Where: Local system
Solution Status: Unpatched

Software: Mozilla Firefox 3.0.x
Mozilla Firefox 3.5.x
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 1st Oct, 2009 10:09
Are U suggesting MSXML has got something to do with your browser issues?

Your browsers.
IE7 & IE8 - I think you can see them in the Insecure Tab & they have been allocated SA24314?
In the case of Mozilla Firefox the number is SA36649.

If this is the case they are minor issues & not really worth losing sleep over. The IE saga has been going on since February 2007. It will be interesting to see if this gets fixed on the release of Windows 7 on October 22nd.
Mozilla have a good record for patching. Being a very minor issue they could be waiting for the next release.

I am not sure why U have not upgraded to IE8. It is my only browser & works perfectly & has enhanced security features. If U do decide to upgrade U will still see SA24314.

I would:
1. Not worry to much about the browser issues if they are what I describe.
2. Upgrade to IE8.
3. Rename the MSXML issue as outlined in my previous post.

Hope this helps.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Oct, 2009 20:40
Last edited on 1st Oct, 2009 20:42
I haven't upgraded to IE8 because I've read so many horror stories about numerous problems people have encountered. I've been scared to upgrade.

No, I wasn't suggesting the MSXML problems had anything to do with my browser. I only wanted to note that they are considered a high risk.

The error code number on IE7 is not the number you listed. It is SA22628.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Oct, 2009 21:06
Last edited on 1st Oct, 2009 21:07
I went in and changed the name on the two msmxl16.dll files found under that SDOLD folder. They have now disappeared from the insecure programs list.

You didn't say anything about the 3rd item which was found in D/Windows/System 32. By the way, D is not backup, it is recovery. Should I also rename that one?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 1st Oct, 2009 21:48
I did on the post above - I have copied it down for U

If D is your back up drive & does not have an Operating System on it U can create an ignore rule for the whole drive.(This also icludes an OEM back up partition which U have)

Creating an IGNORE RULE

Click on the SETTINGS tab>scroll to the bottom & click on CREATE IGNORE RULE

In the RULE NAME BOX insert something like MY BACKUP PARTITION DRIVE

In the RULE BOX type D:\

Click SAVE IGNORE RULE>CLOSE

The drive will continue to be scanned by default but the result will not be published.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 1st Oct, 2009 22:03
IE.

Just looked at your IE7 vulnerabilty. It dates back to 2006. Doubt that will ever be fixed. Again I would not lose sleep having read the report.

IE8.
U are correct - there are many around who champion their chosen browser and bash others to try & prove their point.

All I will say is that I have used IE8 from the beta stage (a few snags) and continue to use it. I have no other browser installed,have never seen a requirement to use any other & it serves me well.

Like all things it is a personal choice - what U like is what U should install & take no notice of all the "browser hype".

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Oct, 2009 03:08
You gave me courage. I just wanted to let you know that I installed IE8 today. Everything went fine and so far no problems.

Thanks!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 2nd Oct, 2009 09:16
Last edited on 2nd Oct, 2009 09:55
Just to confirm:

1. U now have IE8 up & running with one very minor insecurity?
2. U have created an ignore rule for your Recovery drive?
3. U have renamed the other two MSXML files OLD & to date everything appears to be running as normal?
4. U only have one ignore rule (for your D Drive)?
5. U have Adobe Flash & Adobe Shockwave installed?
6. Using add/remove U have uninstalled Adobe AIR,Adobe.com & the Adobe Download Manager if they are present.

If that is the case it looks like U must be showing 100% secure & U have removed some Adobe dross that is not required to make Adobe Reader/Shockwave or Flash work correctly.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Oct, 2009 16:59
I guess I'm going to have to back track. I thought I had IE8 up and running but now I've developed a problem where I constantly get a pop up telling me that Internet Explorer is not responding and then another in my task bar that tells me DEP has closed it.

Adobe.com and Adobe Download Manager do not appear in my "Remove Programs" section. I did not uninstall Adobe Air as I don't think you told me to do that. However, a long time ago I tried to uninstall this and everything was messed up (don't remember what the problems were now) so I reinstalled it.

After installing IE8 I thought everything was working fine. I did do 2 things later. I purchased and installed History Killer Pro.

I also tried to install Microsoft's Screen Recorder. When the file was unzipped there were 3 items in it: Screen Recorder, setup and WMEncoder. I clicked on Screen Recorder but was told the WMEncoder had to be installed first. The WMEncoder would not install. The installation bar would fill to the end but never cleared to where I could click on the "Next" button. Then I couldn't get rid of it. It showed up in my Remove Programs so I uninstalled it, but found that it still appeared in my C/Program Files/Windows Components/Encoder. So I ended up doing a System Restore to get rid of it. I would still like to install this program but don't know what the problem is that the WMEncoder fails to install.

I know we've gone way beyond PSI here but am hoping you will continue to help me. If you would like me to post somewhere else with this I would be happy to do so.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 2nd Oct, 2009 17:25
Last edited on 3rd Oct, 2009 00:22
No problem _ I will do a little research & respond.

Edit:

Just tested this on my test PC - all works perfectly.
What I did:
1. Created a download folder on my desktop.
2. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.0... and saved it to desktop.
(The download file link is indicated by "Code Download Available At:"
3.Opened the download file - it asks where to unzip to - point the unzipper to the folder U made in serial 1.
4. Open the unzipped folder. There are 3 files:

Screen Recorder MSI
Setup.exe
WMEncoder.exe

5. Install WMEncoder
6. Install Setup.exe.

On both occasions U will be told the install is successful.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Oct, 2009 05:15
Last edited on 3rd Oct, 2009 05:27
Please forgive me for being paranoid but I'm no computer tech so I just want to make sure things are as they should be before I tackle this again.

I created a file on my desktop named "Download folder"
I unzipped the file to this folder.
When I open the folder there are 2 folders within: 32 bit and 64 bit
I opened the 32 bit and within that things aren't listed quite the same as you stated. What I have inside are

1. ScreenRecorder and when I move my mouse over it, it says it's a Windows Installer Package. You indicate that yours said Screen Recorder MSI. You didn't mention anything about clicking on this one but since it says "Windows Installer Package" wouldn't this be a part of the download too?
2. setup - when I move the mouse over it it just says File description: Setup.
3. WMEncoder - description is Windows Media Component Setup Application
-------------------------------------------------- -------------------
I'm about ready to give up and you are probably ready to give up on me!

In the above file I unzipped, there was also a .doc file. I've come across this before so decided to download the Microsoft Word Viewer so I can open these types of files. Installation went off without a hitch but now this shows up in my Secunia Insecure Programs as a level 4 threat. I clicked on the Download Update button in Secunia and it just takes me to my Windows Update which says my computer is up to date. Would you recommend that I uninstall this program?

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 3rd Oct, 2009 07:12
What is the path to the insecurity?

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, use or switch to the ADVANCED interface, then :

1 Click on the + sign of the programme to “expand’ it.
2 Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file. (Copy (CTRL+C) & paste (CTRL+V) the Installation Path of the file back to the Forum if U are unsure what to do next).

I do not like giving up -there is an answer somewhere.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Oct, 2009 07:51
I can't copy and paste within this Secunia scan result page. I select the text and right click and no menu opens.

The path is C/Program Files/Microsoft Office/OFFICE11/WORDVIEW.EXE

And what about that Screen Recorder situation with the files not exactly the same as what you listed?

By the way ... I appreciate what you are doing for me. I sure am glad that you apparently like a challenge, are not a quitter and have unlimited patience!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 3rd Oct, 2009 08:38
That way does not work - as my post suggests U must CTRL+C to copy & CTRL+V to paste.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Oct, 2009 08:46
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WORDVIEW.EXE

Ok - thanks - that works.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 3rd Oct, 2009 09:59
I got the impression that Screen Recorder is now working?

A variation in what I described an actuals should have no baring. The MSI file U mention is picked up on the install stage by the 2 exe files. U just need to click on the exe files as posted by me.

U have installed an (almost) obsolete version of Word Viewer. I would uninstall it & use the latest version which is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Fa...

Once installed go here:
http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6...
click the CUSTOM button & check there are no outstanding updates for Microsoft Office.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Oct, 2009 18:58
When I Googled Microsoft Word Viewer, I ended up on a page that stated Word Viewer 2003. Then in reading it said this download would no longer be available after Dec/2009 and to click "here" for the newest version. So I clicked on "here" and it took me to the very same page of the link you provided and that is where I downloaded it from. I went through the steps again just to make sure and it says this is a replacement for Word Viewer 2003 and all previous.

To further make certain these are the same files, I downloaded the file again from your link and then clicked to run it and it states that it is Word Viewer 2003. Then I canceled the installation. I had also installed the Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office System from that same page as this was recommended.

Then I clicked on the link you gave me for updating and it took me to a page which just immediately opened my Windows Update screen. I find that between the time I went to bed and now, there are a bunch of updates ready to install and most of them have to do with Microsoft Office 2003 and Word Viewer 2003 so I am going to go ahead and install the updates and then will get back to you.

I still have not installed the ScreenRecorder because I was waiting to hear from you. Maybe I will try installing that before I do these updates in the case that this doesn't install again and I end up having to do another System Restore.

Til later ...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 3rd Oct, 2009 19:26
Last edited on 3rd Oct, 2009 19:29
I think we need to be very clear about Microsoft readers.

1. The Compatibility Pack for Office 2007 is for use by those who have Microsoft Office 2000 or 2002(XP) or 2003 installed so they can read files created by Office 2007 (DocX etc).Details are here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?fa...

2. The standalone viewer has been created for those using something else other than Microsoft Office.
3. As I pointed out Microsoft Ofiice Viewer 2003 is about to become obsolete plus the fact U will still be unable to read any file U receive which was created by someone using Microsoft Office 2007 or Office 2010 that is about to be released.

There are 3 standalone viewers which I strongly advise U to install:

Word - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Fa...

Excel - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Fa...

PowerPoint - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Fa...

Once installed run Microsoft Update. There are SP's & updates for these viewers. Then reboot run a PSI scan & they should be secure.

If U do decide to install 2007 U do not require any other Microsoft readers & they should be uninstalled prior to the upgrade.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Oct, 2009 20:28
Last edited on 3rd Oct, 2009 20:43
I went ahead and installed the updates I was given and it made no difference in the PSI scan. It still shows this as insecure.

Should I uninstall the Word Viewer and the Compatibility Pack I have installed, then click on the three links you gave me in your last response and download?

I'm trying to grasp this stuff, to learn something here, but admit that it's confusing to me. I am still certain the Word Viewer I installed came from the same page as the link you've given me, and on that page it suggests installing that compatibility pack also. So if I go ahead and install from the three links you gave me, then I assume I should not install that compatibiltiy pack given on the page for Word Viewer?

Almost forgot the PowerPoint. I have PP 2003 which I installed a long time ago from a standalone installer. Does this need to be removed before installing PP 2007? Or will it automatically be removed if I uninstall the Word Viewer and Compatibilty Pack? It seems to work just fine as I get a lot of PP attachments. Before I installed this Word Viewer I had no insecure programs.

I think I will just leave things as they are. I selected to rescan Word Viewer in Secunia and now it no longer shows anything under insecure, so the updates must have taken care of things although I'm again scratching my head. Right after installing the updates I opened Secunia PSI and it went through its scan process and still showed this as insecure.

Well, I'm going to go ahead now and try installing this ScreenRecorder and will let you know what happens.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: End of Life programs
Member 3rd Oct, 2009 21:06
Yeah, sure. Macromedia Shockwave is from Adobe, and i know that they still set is as downloadable. It's quite sure that either PSI has a technical error or sometinhg like that or adobe don't make anymore updates for version 10. Yet, you can download the new version/update from
http://get.adobe.com/shockwave

Have a very nice day!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: End of Life programs
Member 3rd Oct, 2009 21:16
No of cause not. You just have to wait for an update at http://update.microsoft.com
If you never have used that application from microsoft before you can copy/past the upper URL into your browser
(have to be Internet Explorer 5<)
Then you just follow the instructions from the webpage and here you go!
When you are finished, click Fast scan (or sometin' like that) anyway, it's the upper button you should choose unless you know what optional app's is good for your computer you should choose customiable scan.

In some time Microsoft will come with som update and i know they already have but noone uses their microsoft-update service. (It's placed in the Start-menu)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Oct, 2009 21:26
Last edited on 3rd Oct, 2009 21:59
Maurice: Help! I'm having the same problem all over again with this encoder.

The box has been open now for 7 minutes. The install box fills with green as it installs and this box shows the install should be done. Above the box it says "Installing the Windows Media runtime files ..." and there it sits, frozen. When it's done I should click Next on this install window, but I can't because apparently the install isn't complete.

The box has now been sitting there for 27 minutes. Looks like I'm going to be doing another system restore.

The install screen was still sitting there after more than 30 minutes. I clicked the box on the screen to cancel but nothing happened. I opened Task Manager and clicked to end process and it closed.

I went to C/Program Files and there is a folder that says Windows Media Components/inside that a folder labeled Encoder and when opened it is full of files and folders.

I went to Remove Programs and this Encoder is listed but when I click on it to uninstall I get a box that says "This action is only valid on products that are currently installed."

This is the same sequence of events that happened last time and why I had to use System Restore to get rid of it.

I am going to wait a bit to see what you have to say and then will go ahead and use System Restore again and forget about this thing.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 3rd Oct, 2009 22:33
Right click on the folder U have found in C:\programs & select delete

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Oct, 2009 22:49
I restarted and after, it was gone from Remove Programs and gone from C/Progam Files.

At this point my Secunia score is 100% so I'm going to leave well enough alone. In trying to find some answers on my own on this encoder, I found lots of entries where people were having trouble when running it, and one post that said there is a problem with this and Vista. It sure would have been nice to have but I guess for some reason it just isn't going to install on my computer.

The sentiment probably won't be shared, but I think I'm going to miss you! Ha! Seriously, if appreciation were money you would be rich. Thanks ever so much. It's a blistery, rainy day here so now I'm going to go make a big pot of chili. So long for now...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 3rd Oct, 2009 23:02
Pleased all is now OK - have a nice weekend.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability