Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Windows Vista updates

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Elderstin Windows Vista updates
Member 29th Sep, 2009 17:31
Ranking: 0
User Since: 15th Apr, 2009
System Score: N/A
Microsoft says I am updated. Secunia tells me I need a vista update when there are none. But they don't tell me what I am missing so I have no place to go from here.

mogs RE: Windows Vista updates
Expert Contributor 29th Sep, 2009 22:51
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Are you using Secunia with the Advanced interface ? If so, you should have access to more information than you are providing. Click on the + sign alongside any insecurity shown to expand.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Elderstin RE: Windows Vista updates
Member 29th Sep, 2009 23:56
Score: 0
User Since: 15th Apr 2009
No as I do not consider I fit the advanced category.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Windows Vista updates
Member 30th Sep, 2009 02:03
You need to use the ADVANCED interface as it opens up more information.
Its not about being an advanced system user.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: Windows Vista updates
Member 30th Sep, 2009 04:23
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Last edited on 30th Sep, 2009 04:25
Not to be a smart ---the first step in the path to learning. I have been ever since belong to this forum. Take a chance they're right.

--
Gone to Linux permanetly

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th Sep, 2009 09:06
It is really not as difficult as it may seem to you at present. Lots of people have a few qualms before moving on to Advanced.You can always turn to the forum if you are uncertain of what to do next...however foolish/simple you think it might seem. You can only increase your knowledge.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Sep, 2009 18:51
I tried advanced. I get this notifcation: Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.x is insecure. PSI's remedy sends me to the Microsoft update page which tells me I have all updates. So I do a search which turns up nothing. Then I Google the MSXML and it tells me it has something to do with SP2. If I go to properties on My Computer it tells me I am running Vista SP2. Using Advanced got me nowhere.

The second problem is Real Player which I have had no problem updating before. This time when I get the screen where I have to accept their license I can never get a box that says "accept" only "cancel" and a greyed out "back." No scroll bars on sides or bottom and I don't know how to handle that.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th Sep, 2009 21:15
Last edited on 30th Sep, 2009 21:24
on 30th Sep, 2009 18:51, Elderstin wrote:
I tried advanced. I get this notifcation: Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.x is insecure. PSI's remedy sends me to the Microsoft update page which tells me I have all updates. So I do a search which turns up nothing. Then I Google the MSXML and it tells me it has something to do with SP2. If I go to properties on My Computer it tells me I am running Vista SP2. Using Advanced got me nowhere.

The second problem is Real Player which I have had no problem updating before. This time when I get the screen where I have to accept their license I can never get a box that says "accept" only "cancel" and a greyed out "back." No scroll bars on sides or bottom and I don't know how to handle that.

When I expand MSXML 6.x in my patched progs I find extra info/known issues concerning:-
Under normal circumstances it is possible to update using MS Update.
However, if after applying updates the files still show up as insecure; take note of the installation path of inspected files.
If the installation path does not begin with:-
"(Drive letter):\WINDOWS\system32"
then it is possible that the detected files are in backup locations...such as....(C:\i386) or were installed by a third party prog. not Microsoft.
If the files are located in backup locations you can use Ignore Directories & Paths so Secunia doesn't look in these locations.
If you suspect that the files were installed by a third party prog. please contact the prog. vendor to get the secure version of these files.
I'm afraid I don't know enough to be able to give any help with your issue concerning Real Player.
Hope this info is helpful.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Windows Vista updates
Handling Contributor 30th Sep, 2009 23:27
Score: 11785
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Have U tried this link?

http://www.filehippo.com/download_realplayer/chang...

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Oct, 2009 15:19
Last edited on 1st Oct, 2009 15:24
Good for you!!! Bravo Elderstin. There was a forum on this topic.
standbyhttp://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/114...
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/147...
The above two forums address this problem in some detail: the final solution is that if you are running Vista it is not needed at all as it is an outdated dll from Xp.
Here is the meat::
O.k. period (BINGO) that's it. Problem solved. msxml6.0 is for XP(PERIOD) and is re-numbered in Vista under msxml4.0 SP2 (KB954430)for Vista Obtained by reading down to what others are downloading. Therefore,why I am not having any problem by having deleting it. Media Update then via automatic updating replaced it with msxml4.0 SP2 (KB954430) I cross referenced it with forum msxml6.0
This is how to locate the file ::

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, please follow there guidelines using the
advanced interface:
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
* Click on the entry of the programme to “expand” it.
* Click on Technical details to see the installation path of the detected file.
* Remember the installation path and close down the menu.
* Click Open Folder and locate the detected file.

Have U changed the folder option to show all hidden files?

Have U tried Windows search asking it to search hidden files?

--
Gone to Linux permanetly

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Oct, 2009 17:20
I do show file extensions and hidden files. When I do a search on the path I am told there is no such file. Secunia is also telling me I do not have Vista SP@ installed but I do. Microsoft tells me I have everuythin. I ran my Belarc Advisor and it tells me windows is updated and that I am running Vista SP2.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Oct, 2009 18:06
Last edited on 1st Oct, 2009 18:14
Try filehippo@link provided by Maurice. It will check and make sure all 3rd party installs are up to date. When I was having problems with this I found out it was a install called Ad-Aware once it finally updated the problem was over. Otherwise, it sounds like you need to utilize your ignore rule.

--
Gone to Linux permanetly

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer