Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: problem with wording of "patched" page

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
OSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
TPRETE problem with wording of "patched" page
Member 4th Oct, 2009 02:21
Ranking: 0
User Since: 7th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 4th Oct, 2009 02:25

I don't wish to seem ungrateful for this valuable and free program, but it took a while before I could decipher what this particular page was telling me. The page states (important words are supposed to be in bold-- formatted with [b]s -- but that did not happen):

"Patched Programs

This page displays programs that the Secunia PSI has detected on your computer for which there are [b]no known security updates available[b]. Programs listed here does as such [b]not require further attention from you.[b]"

My questions:

If "... no known security updates [are] available" then why does Secunia show some programs as "patched" and give the level of threat prior to the patching? (Vsually, it looks like these programs are still threatened; only by clicking on the question mark in the heading did I discover that the threat had been handled.)

Why do all the programs listed "not require further attention"? Is it because they are safe or because Secunia could not find any security updates for them?

Also, not to be picky, but a little good grammar would not hurt. "Programs listed here does as such not require" puts a plural noun with a singular verb (should be: "Programs... do not") and would make sense more easily if the verb was kept together ("as such do not require").

GoneToPlaid RE: problem with wording of "patched" page
Member 14th Oct, 2009 17:22
Score: 5
User Since: 1st Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
"This page displays programs that the Secunia PSI has detected on your computer for which there are no known security updates available. Programs listed here does as such not require further attention from you."

Yeah, the wording is a bit awkward and confusing, isn't it? How about...

"This page displays programs which Secunia PSI has detected as being up-to-date with any and all vendor supplied security patches. Secunia PSI presently considers these programs to be secure."

Or...

"Secunia PSI presently considers the programs displayed on this page to be secure. All necessary vendor supplied security patches for any known vulnerabilities have been applied to the following programs."
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability