xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Impossible to create ignore rule because of user interface problem

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
All Threads

This thread has been marked as locked.
yankee1620 Impossible to create ignore rule because of user interface problem
Member 6th Oct, 2009 14:07
Ranking: 0
User Since: 28th Mar, 2009
System Score: N/A
Unable to create ignore rule because box with red warning is right in the way and there is no way to get rid of it. Also the box extends below page and all of it cannot be seen.
Secunia keeps calling my Seamonkey insecure when it is not. Just because Seamonkey is always creating updates does not mean previous versions are insecure. They are always making refinements.

Slamgeden RE: Impossible to create ignore rule because of user interface problem
Member 6th Oct, 2009 15:31
Score: 0
User Since: 17th Jul 2009
Last edited on 6th Oct, 2009 15:32
If you post a screenshot we'll have something to work with. ;)

--
Assorted Fnords.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Impossible to create ignore rule because of user interface problem
Handling Contributor 6th Oct, 2009 17:41
Score: 11726
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 7th Oct, 2009 00:26
Version 1.1.17 is certainly insecure as explained here:

SeaMonkey 1.1.18 Security Release
Today, the SeaMonkey project released a new version of its all-in-one internet suite. SeaMonkey 1.1.18 closes several security vulnerabilities and fixes a few smaller problems found in previous versions. With that, SeaMonkey stays at the same level of security as its sibling Thunderbird 2, which has been issuing updates for the same problems recently as well.

The SeaMonkey team urges users of older SeaMonkey versions, including the SeaMonkey 1.0.x series, which no longer receives security updates, to upgrade. Additionally, the team continues to strongly urge people still using the old Mozilla Suite or Netscape 4, 6 or 7 to upgrade to the new SeaMonkey 1.1.18 version. All these older software packages suffer from a large and steadily increasing number of security vulnerabilities because they are no longer being maintained. SeaMonkey 1.1.18 is a modern drop-in replacement, providing the same familiar suite functionality with additional features and fully up to date security.

SeaMonkey 1.1.18 is available for free download from the open source project's website at www.seamonkey-project.org.

To make the bold statement that Secunia has got it wrong I assume you have checked that all the old versions have been fully removed (douubtful) in which case u should contact Secunia Support with the data which you clearly have to prove your statement.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
yankee1620 RE: Impossible to create ignore rule because of user interface problem
Member 7th Oct, 2009 01:16
User Since: 28th Mar 2009
But it is "still impossible to create an ignore rule whether SM is secure or not is not the problem. The problem is creating an ignore rule.
I will have to search google to find out how to make a screen shot and will have to try that sometime tomorrow.
Thanks for response.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Impossible to create ignore rule because of user interface problem
Handling Contributor 7th Oct, 2009 11:55
With respect, whether SeaMonkey is secure or not is a MAJOR problem mainly for U because Secunia has found it on your PC.U are clearly ignoring this fact in the belief that Secunia has got it wrong. Asking Secunia to check your system for vulnerabilities & then ignoring them is defeating the object. If U insist it is a false positive where is the evidence so that Secunia & other members of this Forum can learn from it?

I would strongly advise U check the details of what Secunia is telling U.

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, use or switch to the ADVANCED interface, then :

1 Click on the + sign of the programme to “expand’ it.
2 Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file. (Copy (CTRL+C) & paste (CTRL+V) the Installation Path of the file back to the Forum if U are unsure what to do next).

Producing the screen shot requested by @Slamgeden is a simple task to clear up the minor issue with ignore rules.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
yankee1620 RE: Impossible to create ignore rule because of user interface problem
Member 8th Oct, 2009 12:38
Unable to create ignore rule because box with red warning is right in the way and there is no way to get rid of it. Also the box extends below page and all of it cannot be seen.

I am simply trying to create an ignore rule, and I am not here to discuss more about Seamonkey.
When I find out how to make a screen shot and how to send it I will do that.
Expounding the merits of Seamonkey is not helping with the ignore rule problem and is a distraction.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Impossible to create ignore rule because of user interface problem
Member 9th Oct, 2009 12:41
Last edited on 9th Oct, 2009 12:44 Hi,
Please post a screenshot of the error message that appears. You can active this by pressing the Prt Scr (Or similarly named) key (short for "Print Screen), and then pasting (usually done from the Edit menu) the screenshot into a graphics program, f.x. MS Paint, and saving the file. Then I'd like you to post the screenshot here, so we can examine the issue.

I suggest you patch all insecure programs, in the interest of your own security. The latest secure version of Mozilla Seamonkey is 1.1.18 if you use the 1.x series, or if you run Seamonkey 2.x, 2.0.0.23 and the PSI will only recommend you to update to the appropriate version - It's a security scanner, not a general updater, and will therefore only show you the patches that give you the minimum secure version, not necessarily the latest versions of software.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
marikavs RE: Impossible to create ignore rule because of user interface problem
Member 9th Oct, 2009 22:10
User Since: 7th Jan 2008
I have the same problem with the interface! The Create Ignore Rule box AND the PSI window it is in extend so far below the screen I can't figure out what to do. Does it tell you how to create an ignore rule? (I'm using BootCamp and Windows XP Pro and now the *separate* Mac partition is scanned and of course Secunia finds old saved instances of pieces of a browser I'd like to *keep* saved, IN THE MAC PARTITION. I'd dearly like to create an ignore rule for that "drive.")

--
BootCamper w WinXPP
Was this reply relevant?
+0
M.Hansen RE: Impossible to create ignore rule because of user interface problem
Secunia Official 12th Oct, 2009 09:21
Score: 188
User Since: 26th Jan 2009
Hi

To those with this problem, please send a screenshot to: Support@secunia.com

We will then try to solve the issue as fast as possible.

--
Kind regards,

Morten Hansen
Secunia PSI Support

Secunia PSI
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal
Member 12th Oct, 2009 16:55
I have tried to make a screen shot 6 times without success. I pressed 'print screen' and nothing happened and I don't know what E. Peterson meant editing or by pasting in a graphics program. I have no idea what MS Paint is...maybe it is on line at Microsoft but I hate buying anything from them.
I have *never made a screen shot.
Maybe the other person with the problem could make a screen shot and post it?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Oct, 2009 17:18
I finally made a screen shot but there is *no way to send an attachment with this message. So *how can I post it if there is no way to attach it to this message? It is impossible to send it if you don't have a way to attach it...this is so frustrating.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Impossible to create ignore rule because of user interface problem
Expert Contributor 12th Oct, 2009 17:58
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 12th Oct, 2009 18:07
Because of the problem of posting a screen shot in the forum as discussed in this thread (it includes different ways to make and "post" a screenshot ):-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/279...

I am guessing that Morten Hansen is suggesting you send the screen shot as an email attatchment to him at "support@secunia.com"

Keep on , you're almost there.

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Oct, 2009 19:16
I sent it in an email to Secunia as it is impossible to post a screen shot here and I don't know why people are told to do that.
That thread you referred to about posting a screen shot is of no help at all. It is just a long and confusing discussion that tells me nothing. I have no idea what they mean by photobuckets or picasa etc. They assume that everyone would know what they are talking about. Nobody there actually says how to post a screen shot to the forum.
Unless there is simply a way to attach it to the messages here it is just impossible and I don't understand why I am told to post a screen shot here. Whoever tells people to do that has to know it can't be done.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Oct, 2009 22:45
I'm so glad somebody (thanks yankee1620!) sent in a screenshot. I'm still puzzling over how to create one in Windows with an Apple keyboard.

--
BootCamper w WinXPP
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 13th Oct, 2009 01:43
Last edited on 13th Oct, 2009 01:44
@Yankee1620

You will note that there has been 241 (at 0030 hours BST) hits on this thread. To date only 4 have offered meaningful help. All four helpers have been dismissed with rude comments due solely to your inability to understand the basics of IT and without even bothering to supply the information required as requested when creating a thread.

Secunia requests:

Before creating your thread:
Please make sure to include as many details as possible. The more details, the easier it will be for other users to assist you.

If your thread relates to a problem with patching a program, please be sure to include and verify:
* The path to where the program was detected on your PC
* Description of what you've done to patch the program
* That you have re scanned your PC after applying the patch

Your opening post outlined two problems:

1. A reading error when trying to create an ignore rule.
2. The fact that Secunia are issuing false positives regarding SeaMonkey.

Your second point is important. To be able to state that a false positive is being issued requires skill & advanced knowledge therefore answers you receive on the Forum will match that assumption. It is therefore reasonable that @Slamgeden,@Anthony & Secunia give you clues on what to do rather that detailed instructions.

You have dismissed the SeaMonkey element of your post as a distraction. Why? The fact is that SeaMonkey has more security holes than a fishing net & you are unable (or unwilling) to publicly prove otherwise. My post on SeaMonkey stated the security problems direct from the vendor.

Now you are claiming it is impossible to create a screenshot for us to see on the Forum and you do not want to buy Paint from Microsoft.

1. Paint is embedded in Windows free of charge - Start>All Programs>Accessories>Paint (XP because I have no idea what OS you are using)

2. If you cannot get it to work you can use any screen capture facility - Microsoft One Note - Faststone Capture & many more.

The thread @Anthony gave you had all the answers you require. It may be confusing to you but not to others who used it.

To create a screenshot for us to see you need to:

1. Capture the screen.
2. Post the screenshot to your host web page. (My option is Windows Sky Drive which is open to the public who have a Windows Live ID)
3. Post the URL of the web page to this forum.

In less than 2 minutes I have captured this post & it can be read here provided you have a Windows Live ID:

http://cid-e9ea368cbd08adb3.skydrive.live.com/self...

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Oct, 2009 02:10
@Maurice Joyce
"To create a screenshot for us to see you need to:

1. Capture the screen." (a.s.o)

Fine, so *you* tell me how to do that in Windows XP Pro in BootCamp (via VMware FUSION) on a MacBook keyboard (i.e. laptop, without an F12 key.)

I finally sent in a screenshot taken using the on-screen keyboard from Accesories/Accessibilty, finding no other way after hours of searching. Then I discovered that the file had transferred EMPTY to my Mac OS X desktop - so I had to access the Internet from Windows in order to send it. So much for keeping my Windows installation safe from Internet evil...

"2. Post the screenshot to your host web page."

Seriously? Are you suggesting I create one just for this purpose?

--
BootCamper w WinXPP
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Oct, 2009 02:13
Ooops: I meant F13 (and should add F14 as that could be used as well) not F12. Of course my MacBook has an F12 key.

--
BootCamper w WinXPP
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 13th Oct, 2009 09:41
@marikavs
My post merely explains it is not impossible to create a screenshot.

You have created your own IT setup. How you use it to carry out simple IT tasks is up to you.

Posting items to the web is also a personal choice. I use Skydrive - others may wish to choose there own. In my case skydrive is a permanent feature which is available to everyone free of charge. Some ISP's also offer this facility free of charge.

If you remain unhappy with posting to the web then, as suggested, send your screenshot as an attachment to Secunia Support.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Oct, 2009 20:45
I had a response from Secunia - they say my laptop screen is too small... I should adjust the resolution (currently 1152 x 720.)
Hm. I'm grateful they responded, and I suppose I should try it, but I have a feeling I won't be able to read any instructions if I do. And, of course, it'll be a one-time thing just for that ignore rule. Secunia PSI is, after all, free. (Although, I *have* seen better customer support for other free programs.)

--
BootCamper w WinXPP
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Impossible to create ignore rule because of user interface problem
Expert Contributor 13th Oct, 2009 23:27

@marikavs

Why not ask VMwareFusion customer support/forum why you were unable to download the screenshot from your "virtual" XP to your "actual" Mac desktop .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Oct, 2009 01:22
@Anthony
As it turns out it's actually a Mac<->Windows problem. Another UI culprit - they don't explicitly tell you that the file isn't empty, that you're using 'default' not the appropriate program to open it. I do have one but it hadn't been 'set' (by me) to open .rtf files. And in order to know that the file wasn't empty I actually had to go look at its information - sort of like going for Properties in Windows.

I any case, I finally did get the Ignore Rule in place. That maneuver is not for the faint of heart, e.g. I had to try to put it there four times before it would stick, (that number includes closing Secunia PSI and restarting it - which it balks at and thinks I should re-verify it - and also restarting the OS) and the instructions (?) are still not visible on my screen at 1280 x 800 (max available) while booted up in BootCamp directly (no VMware Fusion.)

For those of you who haven't figured it out yet, it seems all an "Ignore Rule" is is the path to the volume/folder/file you want to exclude from the scan. Simple as that.

@yankee1620
I hope all this has helped you - if you can get to the "Rule" box (temporarily increase resolution?) you should be all set to type/paste in the path to whatever you want to exclude from the scan.

--
BootCamper w WinXPP
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 14th Oct, 2009 15:08
Last edited on 14th Oct, 2009 15:16

FWIW , there are two places where you can set an "ignore rule" :-

1) at the bottom of the "settings" tab - useful when ignoring a drive , for example, and

2) after expanding the programme (click on the + sign in the box at the left end ) , you (hopefully) will see the "toolbox" and one of the links therein is "ignore program" , click on this and the rule will be set for you - after your confirmation.

The rule will still be located/seen(?) at the bottom of the "settings" tab .

BTW , the file "ignored" is still scanned by Secunia PSI it just is no longer displayed to you.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Oct, 2009 21:04
Wow, thanks Anthony, useful information, indeed.
What that means is that I still have to figure out how the Mac drive recently became available to my Windows system.

--
BootCamper w WinXPP
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Oct, 2009 21:39
I am sorry but I am too old and not knowledgeable enough to know what you are talking about with webpages and IT setups etc. I am probably older than your grandmother. Obviously this forum is meant to be used by computer professionals and I am in the wrong place.
Thanks for all the suggestions even though I do not understand them. I have solved the problem by uninstalling Secunia and going back to my blissfull ignorance...
I did send a screen shot to support but as yet have not had any reply...I do not have a MAC...I have a PC with Windows XP SP2.
Really sorry to have bothered the forum...If you interpreted any thing as being rude, it certainly was not meant to be so...but Mr. Joyce, you could really try to be a little more 'gentle' in your remarks, and perhaps a little less condescending towards people who are not as expert as you seem to be...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Oct, 2009 22:50
@yankee1620
For all intents and purposes I have an XP Pro installation with SP3 - it just happens to be running on a Mac, but please don't let that confuse you! A PC is a PC (PC=Personal Computer.) I just felt it necessary to explain about the Mac fact because sometimes the underlying architecture (UNIX as opposed to DOS, to keep it simple for now) can create certain problems. However, in this case that was not a factor. As a matter of fact, even after I increased the screen resolution to maximum I still couldn't see the Secunia instructions for rule creation, but I was able to figure out what they wanted there and did have access to the box to type it in.
On the other hand, it doesn't matter how old you, and/or your computer are, YOU REALLY SHOULD RE-INSTALL THE SECUNIA PSI. I agree that creating an ignore rule is painful, but from what I can see in the previous posts you probably shouldn't anyway. I'd believe them when they say something is insecure no matter how often it updates. Just make sure you don't have any old versions (of Seamonkey) hanging around. Sticking your head in the sand isn't going to make the problem go away... (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
If I can figure out how to do so without exposing my email address and/or phone number I'll be happy to help you. And I suspect our grandmothers were of approximately the same generation. (<g> as they say.)

--
BootCamper w WinXPP
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Oct, 2009 22:56
Last edited on 15th Oct, 2009 23:24
Hello yankee1620,

Don't give up now ; Maurice is pretty old and I am ancient , but only in years passed - still young at heart - and learning all the time .

This Forum is not just for experts at all , it is for everyone , but certain basic things you have to learn for yourself , but not on your own . I had two people who taught me how to use a computer and be safe when I did use it ; see if you can find someone to sit with you & show you some of the basics. Security is very important to you & PSI is part of that.

Finally , I find that what you can say face to face to someone comes over different when it is typed up & you don't know the person reading it ; I have had to be careful in what I post here on occasion .

Don't let this spoil your surfing pleasures .

Take care
Anthony :))

Edit : my post crossed with that of marikavs , but he/she makes a generous offer of help , which is how this Forum often works out for everyone.
I did notice you still use SP2 on your XP , I would say that SP3 is an important upgrade to consider .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Oct, 2009 23:04

@marikavs

You can always create a "throwaway" email address & post it if/when you know yankee1620 is on line & bin it after they have responded . I have unlimited/prepaid 'phone calls from ISP which are most useful when I need to contact my "experts".

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Oct, 2009 00:40
Thanks again Anthony. Found one. So, temporarily, yankee1620 can get in touch with me via email at
rmdisposable-4yankee1620@yahoo.com
(don't try to type all that, just copy->paste.)

--
BootCamper w WinXPP
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: Impossible to create ignore rule because of user interface problem
Member 16th Oct, 2009 22:05
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Last edited on 16th Oct, 2009 22:15
O.K.-- I am also defensive about Secunia it is a good program.... with a great forum. As the original person to post the question of screenshots, and in the interest of keeping Secunia's servers secure, it might be of benefit to have Secunia give us a direct app. instead fielding all kinds of outside programs. The original question was not to take a screenshot then e-mailing to Secunia but how to insert it "DIRECTLY" into forum for all to view. This is the problem, that I am having although you have the shot I can't seem to penetrate Secunia's security to actually show what I am trying to explain to the forum.

--
Windows Home Basic-Service Pack 2
Dell AMD Athlon 64x2 Processor 4000+ 2.10Ghz 2Memory 32 Bit

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Impossible to create ignore rule because of user interface problem
Member 9th Nov, 2009 18:18
Increasing the screen resolution temporarily solved the same problem for me that the original poster had above.

Some of you might want to check out this free screencapture utility that I use pretty often. I can capture photos from Powerpoint slide shows this way, and you can configure it to just hit the F6 key and it will capture the entire screenshot and save it as a .jpg file, .bmp file, or whatever. Very easy to use and not hard to figure out how to use it.

http://download.cnet.com/ScreenHunter-Free/3000-21...

Thanks for solving my problem also! When I increased the screen resolution, I discovered that some of the Secunia pages had things near the bottom that I had never seen before! And it displayed the entire pages so that I could create ignore rules for the first time.

Jerry
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability