Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: windows defender

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
nh666 windows defender
Member 11th Oct, 2009 04:09
Ranking: 0
User Since: 11th Oct, 2009
System Score: N/A
A friend of mine asked me why does a windows defender message appear saying out of date on the spyware. Its only appearing when she updates. I suggested to her to go to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Fa...

And download the newer version And see if that helps .. but as im not familiar with vista as a o/s.
Would that be the right thing to have done ?

wr RE: windows defender
Contributor 11th Oct, 2009 05:34
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
Hi nh666,
I use Windoze Vista, but I don't use defender, I use a 3rd party application for A/V, A/S, & firewall, so can't advise of popup notice but it sounds like a good thing.
Having said that one should always keep ALL programs up-to-date & hopefully secure.
It would be a good idea if your friend would download & use the Secunia PSI in the Advanced mode. As you know the PSI is not an updater but would alert to vulnerabilities & solutions to correct them. If she has any problems there's always help available here on the Forum.

Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 31.3.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: windows defender
Member 11th Oct, 2009 15:27
I don't use Windows Defender any more as I prefer Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE):
http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials

I set the updates to be done daily at 8:00am followed by a Quick scan.

Verifiy the update level at the portal:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Definitio...

Only 11 more days to wait for Windows 7.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
nh666 RE: windows defender
Member 12th Oct, 2009 17:51
Score: 0
User Since: 11th Oct 2009
thanks :) ... ive passed that link on to her ... we tried updating the defender she has already well she did. But it was just saying you have it already and she was unable to uninstall the defender to reinstall the updates version :S ... i had a look at windows 7 .. and it looks ok ... but i think ill wait until at least a service pack is out before getting it
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Oct, 2009 00:35
Last edited on 13th Oct, 2009 00:37 I have been running Windows 7 since it became available as a download for Evaluation copy. Build 7100 and it it works much better than Vista with better performance and reworks UAC to be less annoying amongst other improvements.

(unknown source)
Windows 7 Review

What a difference a few years makes. When Windows Vista debuted in late 2006, I was full of questions: Windows Vista was a big, messy Windows release, delayed time and again, and suffering from too many features and too little cohesiveness. This time around, things are clearer. Windows 7 is less ambitious than its predecessor, but also a better product. It suffers from none of the aimless feature bloat that plagued Vista upon its release, and none of the aimless uncertainty that followed Vista's five-plus years of development. That the public reaction to Windows 7 has also been universally positive--another sharp contrast with Vista--is also gratifying. Windows 7 deserves the accolades, and it's one of the strongest entries in the Windows family of products ever.
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/review.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jsx-gf-z2U <== 15:08 minutes

Windows 7 probably won't have a Service Pack for at least a couple of years and you will be mising out on all of its benefits.

Q: How long did it take Microsoft to release XP SP3 after SP2?
A: SP2 August 8, 2004 and SP3 May 5, 2008
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Oct, 2009 03:56
Ive never liked Vista doubt i will but windows 7 has caught my eye .. but wouldnt it better to wait for a service pack to be bought out then diving right in and getting it ? ... And i heard you can only download it then havin to buy it off a the shelf as it were ?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Oct, 2009 03:58
p.s .. thats why i have always stook with xp as its never gave me and serious problems
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Oct, 2009 04:40
My local PC store that is only a 15 minute walk away will install it for me or I will purchase the update from them if they will let me.
I purchased the system back in March with Vista from them and from what I understand I can purchase the upgrade from them as long as they do it as they have a System Builder's licence agreement and they get Windows 7 much more inexpensive that way.

I still have an old Win98SE system that I fire up occasionaly when I am feeling nostalgic but I prefer Windows 7 most of all.

The only negative thing with Windows 7 is that it needs capable hardware to run on.
A good XP system will not be a good Windows 7 system just like a WIN98SE system would not be a good XP system.

If a user is running Vista then it will run much beter with Windows 7.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
emmjayca RE: windows defender
Member 13th Oct, 2009 14:47
User Since: 10th Oct 2009
I understand that Windows Defender is a Firewall only and that Microsoft Security Essentials is Antivirus only (no firewall) which means you will still need a firewall app. if you choose MSSE. It is interesting that MS states that you should not uninstall or disable WD prior to the installation of MSSE, as MSSE will auto shut down WD once MSSE is running. Other anitvirus security software needs to be uninstalled or the scans disabled prior to install. I would suggest a registry clean to anybody who uninstalls a security package as they leave around a ton of stuff after they have been removed.

I would like to know if anyone knows if all those definitions that WD downloaded to my system are being used after MSSE is installed or if they are just using up valuable disk space. Also, some pundits are saying that a firewall is not required if you install MSSE, especially if you have Windows 7. I have ordered the W7 upgrade for my Vista system so I am interested in knowing what the right thing is to do from a PC security stance.

--
XP/PRO, Vista Business 32
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Oct, 2009 19:28
emmjayca, Windows Defender is not Firewall it is an additonal layer of protection for your system as an anti virus application.

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is anti virus only (no firewall) that replaces Windows Defender so you could use a software firewall like Outpost or PC Tools.

I do not run a software firewall as I have adequate system protection with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM), WinPatrol in addition to avast! and MSE anti virus applications.

I do not know what anti virus application you are using so it is a good idea to put that in your Secunia Profile then in My settings fill in the anti virus information in Signature:

Other anti virus security software does not need to be uninstalled nor the scans disabled prior to install of MSE.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
emmjayca23 RE: windows defender
Member 13th Oct, 2009 22:48
User Since: 12th Oct 2009
Thank you for your response (I am replaying from my XP system, even though I submitted my Q from my Vista system , re: different username).

Yes, I was wrong about Defender, it is a spyware app. not a firewall.
I have Norton V3 and I will have to use NRT to get it off my system prior to installing MSE. I will do this as I am not going to purchase it again when the subscription runs out.

According to the MS, I do not have to unistall Defender, and MSE does not uninstall Defender. The definition file stops updating, however Defender services continue to start & stop. Will PSI consider this an out of date appl, as it will not be updating anymore?

If MS is correct I will not need a firewall with W7, if I get MSE. I am confused over this.

--
XP/PRO, IE8, Firefox 3.5, Norton 360 V3, Windows Defender(off)
Visa Business 32, IE8, Firefox 3.5, Norton 360 V3, Windows Defender(off)
Window 7 update (on pre-order)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Oct, 2009 03:33
Last edited on 14th Oct, 2009 03:42 Glad to hear you are getting rid of Norton.

MSE is an update to Windows Defender (WD) and you do not have to un-install it and as the WD component is still installed it uses the same definitions as MSE:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Definitio...

I recommend avast! Free anti virus as well and I am using the new beta5 release on Windows 7 and really impressed.
V5 is scheduled to be released mid November.

You need MBAM as well and I have the resident version as it is a small one time charge for lifetime updates.
The free version is good but has to be updated then a Quick scan run daily.

Then you do not need a firewall.

Watch this excellent video with Bruce Harrison who is a developer at Malwarebytes:
http://www.besttechie.net/2008/08/20/malwarebytes-... <== software firewall discussion starts 8 minutes into the video

The second video is good as well.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
emmjayca23 RE: windows defender
Member 14th Oct, 2009 17:23
User Since: 12th Oct 2009
So so appreciated. Gems of information indeed.
I will get Avast and MBAM as you suggested and install them with MSE when it arrives.

--
XP/PRO, IE8, Firefox 3.5, Norton 360 V3, Windows Defender(off)
Visa Business 32, IE8, Firefox 3.5, Norton 360 V3, Windows Defender(off)
Window 7 update (on pre-order)
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+