xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Service Pack 3 is insecure.

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

This thread has been marked as locked.
JolietJake Service Pack 3 is insecure.
Member 14th Oct, 2009 22:16
Ranking: 0
User Since: 8th Feb, 2008
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 14th Oct, 2009 22:17

Hi.

Just scanned the PC and got this message. Did an express update at Windows update and installed a number of fixes, rebooted and scanned again with PSI and got the message about Service Pack 3 being insecure.

Went back to Windows update, express updates and I get this...

http://i36.tinypic.com/2qwzjp0.jpg

Downloaded and ready to install. I click install, reboot manually then scan again with PSI and still the same. If I go back to Windows update, scan express updates I keep coming back to this one that says it's downloaded but needing installed.
If I click install it goes through the procedure and says 'install successful'.

http://i38.tinypic.com/eahxjl.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/2s0k0sh.jpg

So what now?

Thanks

--
So annoying my country doesn't exist in these drop down menu's. It's Scotland, not the UK!

2harts4ever RE: Service Pack 3 is insecure.
Member 14th Oct, 2009 23:18
Score: 2
User Since: 4th Dec 2008
System Score: N/A
Having the same problem with the same update (KB971486)as JolietJake.

Any ideas?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever
Was this reply relevant?
+0
pudelein RE: Service Pack 3 is insecure.
Member 14th Oct, 2009 23:22
Score: 1
User Since: 16th Jan 2008
I have had the same issue today after installing some 11 Microsoft updates. The Microsoft Update site [and therefore, I suppose, PSI] claims I need the update KB971486. Installing it again does not fix this. The error is likely Microsoft's; for the moment I will not worry about it, but suggest strongly that Secunia ask MS about this.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jpaul RE: Service Pack 3 is insecure.
Member 14th Oct, 2009 23:49
Score: 0
User Since: 14th Oct 2009
I have same exact problem. Also, in Add/Remove program KB971486 is installed! I've contacted Microsoft regarding this issue.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Oct, 2009 17:13
Further to my earlier post (see above), it turns out that many people are having trouble with KB971486. Google revealed around 144 instances last night and there are probably more today. This has happened in the past, but I have not yet been able to locate the fix. If anyone knows this, I would be very grateful for the information!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
JolietJake RE: Service Pack 3 is insecure.
Member 15th Oct, 2009 20:53
User Since: 8th Feb 2008
I keep getting the little pop in Windows saying windows has an update to install. (Had it about 20 times today alone) It basically tries to install the same update, the missing one. It says it's completed but clearly it's not.

--
So annoying my country doesn't exist in these drop down menu's. It's Scotland, not the UK!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Oct, 2009 02:45
Hi again,

Just for the record I just ran Balarc Advisor and it is now telling me that KB971486 is NOT installed just like Secunia PSI says.

I just now tried a 'chat' with M/S support but the tech wanted me to agree to him trying to help with 'remote assistance' but I am a little leary of that approach, so I turned him down.

Hopefully someone will get to the bottom of it soon. I don't know if I am secure or not as a result of this problem.

Regards,

2harts4ever
Was this reply relevant?
+0
GoneToPlaid RE: Service Pack 3 is insecure.
Member 16th Oct, 2009 08:15
Score: 5
User Since: 1st Apr 2009
on 16th Oct, 2009 02:45, 2harts4ever wrote:
Hi again,

Just for the record I just ran Balarc Advisor and it is now telling me that KB971486 is NOT installed just like Secunia PSI says.

I just now tried a 'chat' with M/S support but the tech wanted me to agree to him trying to help with 'remote assistance' but I am a little leary of that approach, so I turned him down.

Hopefully someone will get to the bottom of it soon. I don't know if I am secure or not as a result of this problem.

Regards,

2harts4ever

Several months ago I had MS support do a remote assistance on my computer. I specifically told the dude to not do any changes without describing what he was about to do and then get my approval. He agreed and I watched his actions. When he spotted something which he wished to change, he popped up a text message about exactly what he wanted to change so that I could approve his actions before he actually did them.

Anyway, my issues were fixed, but like you, I was careful to make sure that the MS support person asked me before making any changes. After he was done and disconnected, I uninstalled the small remote support application that was necessary for the MS support rep to access my computer.

So, I say, give MS a shot as long as it is very clear with the support rep that you must approve any changes to your computer before he/she actually does the changes.

:-)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Oct, 2009 19:42
I was just thinking out loud and I am curious if anyone else in this thread is using Comodo firewall by chance. I am and I am just searching for clues.

Regards,

2harts4ever
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Oct, 2009 19:53
Last edited on 16th Oct, 2009 19:54
on 16th Oct, 2009 19:42, 2harts4ever wrote:
I was just thinking out loud and I am curious if anyone else in this thread is using Comodo firewall by chance. I am and I am just searching for clues.

Regards,

2harts4ever

I use Comodo Firewall too with Defense + activated.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Oct, 2009 20:00
Interesting, I have Defense activated too. I just wonder how many other folks experiencing this problem are using Comodo too. Might be interesting to find out.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Oct, 2009 20:08
I am not using Comodo firewall; I use PC Tools Firewall Plus.

FWIW, I have just completed restoring my machine to an image made last Saturday before these updates erupted. The same 11 updates were delivered and allegedly installed again. They appear in my Windows Update history as successful. There in an entry in Add/Remove. BUT both PSI and Belarc report KB971486 to be missing. A second attempt to install it from the MS Update site appeared to succeed, but neither PSI, Belarc, or the Update site search function agree. The file KB971486.log seems to show installation failure, but I could br wrong.

It looks to me like the download file for this update may have become corrupted, but I cannot find a way to get a fresh, perhaps correct copy. For now, I have disabled automatic updates and will live without this KB971486 until a definitive solution appears somewhere.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Oct, 2009 20:12
pudelein,

Thanks for your update. That blows the conflict theory I had between Comodo and 971486 ...lol

I'll keep searching and if I find anything concrete I'll post back.

Thanks,

2harts4ever
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: Service Pack 3 is insecure.
Member 16th Oct, 2009 20:28
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Last edited on 16th Oct, 2009 20:43
I have a new take on this problem, downloading updates and then immediately scanning to see if the update has been accepted/installed. The problem is "SERVER DEMAND" and the ability of servers to keep up with demand. Secunia (a free service) may actually have this problem. My "suggestion" is go ahead and do your downloading and updating and then(WAIT 24hrs) before verifying the update. Servers cost big bucks- thank-you Secunia. I realized this with filehippo trying to verify a third party install that must have been very popular. Could not get the "all-clear secure" until 24hrs later. ( Joke on me, I must have downloaded and installed and uninstalled- oh 6x, before I caught on ha ha)

(Belarc out and out states for XP and does not recognize Vista so it is a hit and mis situation for me)

Windows Vista "Home Basic"
Service Pack 1
MAXML 4.0 SP 2
Mozilla 3.5.+
AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core Processor4000+2.10GHz
2GB Ram 32 bit OS
Avast,Ad-Aware,A-squared,Windows Defender,IO bit Security 360v1.0,IO Bit Advanced System Care Professional

--
Windows Home Basic-Service Pack 2
Dell AMD Athlon 64x2 Processor 4000+ 2.10Ghz 2Memory 32 Bit

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Oct, 2009 20:39
puget1,

Makes sense. But, out of curiosity, if you run Balarc Advisor, what does that program say?

Regards,

2harts4ever
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Oct, 2009 20:57
Last edited on 16th Oct, 2009 20:58
F.Y.I. from another forum about are friends at Microsoft

Extented support for XP
on 25th Mar, 2009 17:20, genegold99 wrote:
What MS calls "Extended Support" for XP, which I presume is some kind of purchased contractual support, lasts until 2014. "Mainstream support," which is what I imagine is available to the rest of us, ends next month, April 14.

Not necessary to presume or imagine. You can click on the link "Microsoft Support Lifecycle Policy FAQ".

Patching will continue through 08-Apr-2014, and security patches will continue to be free.

After 14-Apr-2009, you will need to pay for non-security patches. There will also be no more free incident support, no more warranty claims, and no more changes to design and features.

(Belarc out and out states for XP and does not recognize Vista so it is a hit and mis situation for me)

--

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Oct, 2009 21:04
The issue for me isn't about servers etc. This update kept appearing on my machine, the little icon in the systray that windows has when it's got an update to download or install.
It kept popping up saying this update was downloaded but needed installing, I'd click install, it would then say it was installing it then close.
Then it would pop up again and do it all over.
It would do this 5,6,7 times in a row.

I rebooted and it kept doing it. I went to Windows Update site, clicked update and this file showed up as downloaded but needing installed.
Try it yourself, go to windows update, do a scan and see what windows update says. Downloaded but needing installed.

To me there's some kind of error in the update and it either doesn't install properly or it does and doesn't report the fact it has installed, properly.

I think it's a Microsoft issue.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Oct, 2009 21:11
Last edited on 16th Oct, 2009 21:11
JolietJake,

My issue is exactly as you describe it. Hopefully someone will check it out.

When I go to Windows and check to show 'Hidden Files and folders' it is listed as being installed, so I am hoping it is. and that the rest of this problem is just a fluke.

2harts4ever
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Oct, 2009 22:50
Last edited on 16th Oct, 2009 23:05
I don't have a reply for this with further explanation. I use Dell with Media Direct. The update is down and verified. The only problem I can think of : that it might be your security settings and or your fire wall. I know for a fact that when this "11 piece update came through I was advised that Microsoft had tried to install and was unable. I hit the try again and down it came. I am usually up at 0400 to 0500 and do this updating. Secunia is happy, Therefore so am I. My scheduled automatic update time 0300. Not be "rude with apologies) but I still have a "feeling" it is server abuse. Sometimes, my old system gets what I called jumpy and would just plain need a rest. I just shut down and have waited as much as 3 days and it seemed to settle down. Not so much with new system but old a lot. Just thought about it: try going to your event log and see what it says about anything

--

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Oct, 2009 23:14
Just had a scan in Event Viewer > System and there's quite an interesting thing best illustrated with a screen shot...

http://i37.tinypic.com/2hgxs1y.jpg

Groups or three events repeating, the first two say installed successfully and the third says the following..

http://i36.tinypic.com/2rcc107.jpg

It'll be installed on the 17th at 3am (tomorrow)

That's bizarre and I've never come across that before.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Service Pack 3 is insecure.
Expert Contributor 16th Oct, 2009 23:31
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

I remember reading something about when Windows servers cannot complete all the requested downloads they wait until the next time you reboot to finish off - or something like that . At this stage , they may also include stuff you may have elected not to have installed & may reset your "update" configuration , to automatic , if I remember correctly .

I am aware of this as I have deselected IE8 and auto updates .

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Oct, 2009 23:51
Last edited on 17th Oct, 2009 00:08
I found something that worked for me.

I received this from someone who replied to a question I originally posted on Oct. 14 on the same subject on the Windows XP Update Newsgroups Forum:
<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/news...">KB971486 thread on Oct. 14</a>

As I said it worked for me and if you are game you can give it a try yourself. Both Belarc Advisor and Secunia PSI now give me a 'clean' bill of health.

The fix given to me is as follows:

Step 1: Remove KB971486 in Add or Remove Programs

1a. Open Add/Remove Programs. Note: Be sure to have "Show updates" checked (if Service Pack 2 for XP is installed).

1b. Look for update KB971486.

1c. Please highlight and remove it.

1d. Restart Windows.

====================

Step 2: Reinstall KB971486

2a. Please download KB971486 from the following link:

<a href="http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/4/C/C4C96...">KB971486 download</a>

2b. Save the update to C: drive. (Do not run the update directly)

2c. Click Start->Run, type in the following:

“C:\WindowsXP-KB971486-x86-ENU.exe /overwriteoem” (without the quotes)

Please note there is a space between: exe and /overwriteoem

Then press Enter to install the update.

2d. After this, restart the computer and then visit the Windows Update site to check if the Update KB971486 is still listed. If it is gone, reboot and then run your PSI scan again.

It worked for me … Good luck!

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Oct, 2009 00:41
I got a big phat fail on that one.

Uninstalled, rebooted then went to download the file and got...

http://i34.tinypic.com/552lo4.jpg

Went back to windows update again and it still says the file is downloaded but needs installed. Rebooted and got the pop up asking to install update, installed it then it popped up again. Rebooted and it's still a problem.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Oct, 2009 00:55
JolietJake,

Sorry to hear about it not working for you. I just tried my link again to the direct download for KB971486 and it worked for me.

2harts4ever
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Oct, 2009 00:58
on 17th Oct, 2009 00:55, 2harts4ever wrote:
JolietJake,

Sorry to hear about it not working for you. I just tried my link again to the direct download for KB971486 and it worked for me.

2harts4ever

I got it sorted! The problem was the link above, it didn't work for me so I searched Windows downloads site and found the right file then did the rest and it's now worked. Cheers mate!

Perhaps the link is for your country? I'm in the UK.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Oct, 2009 01:03
Hi JolietJake,

Glad to hear it finally worked for you too.

I am in the States, so that link I posted might have just been for us Yanks.

Have a great weekend!

2harts4ever
Was this reply relevant?
+0
pudelein Re: "Service Pack 3 is insecure" ... Solved
Member 17th Oct, 2009 02:04
@2harts4ever

Thank you for your post about fixing KB971486! Worked for me on the first attempt. As you know, the file downloaded is WindowsXP-KB971486-x86-ENU.exe [I repeat it here for others that may noy be able to follow your link!]. After uninstalling the previous version of kb971486 using Add/Remove, I simply downloaded the file using Firefox [it is not necessary to use IE for this!]. I ran this file at a command prompt, with the special option /overwriteoem that you provided. Worked perfectly: after the reboot, MS Updates found no needed updates; Belarc and (after rescanning) PSI all agree. Thanks again!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
2harts4ever RE: "Service Pack 3 is insecure" ... Solved
Member 17th Oct, 2009 02:07
Glad it worked for you too!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Oct, 2009 02:23
Last edited on 17th Oct, 2009 02:35
O.k. I think I proved that the servers are being overworked and it's get a number and stand in line. It's great someone found a work around. O.K. I need help in posting screenshots directly into Secunia forum please give me the step by step and post to this forum.

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/279...

It sure would be appreciated JolietJake

--

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
GoneToPlaid RE: Service Pack 3 is insecure.
Member 17th Oct, 2009 20:55
Score: 5
User Since: 1st Apr 2009
This thread should be cleaned up to be straightforward, and then stickied. Lots of good info in this thread.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
SusanBradley RE: Service Pack 3 is insecure.
Member 19th Oct, 2009 07:48
User Since: 19th Oct 2009
Can you guys do me a favor? I'm trying to get a handle on why this is happening and to see if we can get this resolved. I have contacts with Microsoft and I want to see if we can get to the bottom of this.

Can you send me the log file of 971486.log which is under the c:\windows folder?

Can you send me the log file to sbradcpa@pacbell.net?

I'd deeply appreciate any and all help you can give on this issue.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Oct, 2009 19:01
Last edited on 19th Oct, 2009 19:12
@SusanBradley

Not sure what you are after,do you know the difference between php and cgi. On a one on one bases you have a front door one person knocks on it and then exits via the back door. O.K. simple enough now imagine a billions of people all trying to obtain access and trying to leave via the back door all at the same time. if there are enough doors (servers)no problem. Otherwise,prioritizing takes place and the servers follow a line of progression-what is allowed in and out. With 11 for Vista and poss. 13 for XP updates, it created to much demand on the servers available. By finding a work around what you did was yell "fire or emergency" to the server and luckily it responded

Here is some more info about xp from this forum: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/289...

Microsoft will support XP but there will not be any Service Packs only emergency fixes like the 13 they just released.

--

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Oct, 2009 19:16
@puget1 I'm not sure what you are asking?

I see people getting 971486 reoffered over and over again. I need their 971486.log files from their Windows XP.

XP is still supported, still patched and Microsoft is trying to get to the bottom of why this patch is being offered up over and over again but it appears to be only impacting OEM and no one has called in in enough numbers for them to be aware of the issue.

I need the log files from those folks impacted by this.

Please email me at sbradcpa@pacbell.net if you have been impacted.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Service Pack 3 is insecure.
Handling Contributor 19th Oct, 2009 21:15
Score: 11710
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Susan has not really identified herself. I know that email address.

She writes articles for Windows Secrets.

The exam questions are:

1.Will the results of this covert Windows Secrets investigation be posted back to this Forum for members to see without a hyperlink to Windows Secrets?

2. If for pulication in Windows Secrets only, will it be in the free version?

I see no offer of a years free membership to Windows Secrets for supplying information to a Corporate Organisation or a privacy statement regarding the information supplied !!!!!!!!

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Oct, 2009 21:19
I'm trying to get to the bottom of this to get Microsoft to fix the underlying issue.

If I get folks help, we'll fix Microsoft Update.

And yes, I'll post back.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Oct, 2009 21:23
If anyone would prefer to work with Microsoft directly WONDERFUL!

https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&pr...

On that page is a chat interface.

The underlying issue is that as of yesterday Microsoft is unaware of this issue, there's no call volume on this.

I have one KB log file from a newsgroup. That's it. I need your help for this underlying issue to get fixed by Microsoft.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th Oct, 2009 21:37

Personally , I think Susan Bradley does a good job ; so apparently do Microsoft , as they have given her their MVP award .

The exam question is how to resolve the update problem with KB971486 (I'm lucky as I don't have the problem) and not whether one approves of Windows Secrets or not.

Hope you send Susan your logs.

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Service Pack 3 is insecure.
Handling Contributor 19th Oct, 2009 22:10
Score: 11710
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
You have misread my post. There is no mention of disliking Windows Secrets - I am a fully paid up member.

Susan has partly answered my questions in that members of this Forum could benefit from her investigations without the need to read or pay for Windows Secrets.

As an MVP one wonders why it is implied in block capitals that Microsoft are difficult to deal with. Considering their Global responsibility in many aspects of IT their response to my many investigations have been outstanding.

I can assure U that Microsoft (UK) are very aware of this issue and Susan has got a handle on it in that it looks like it is affecting some OEM versions of Windows.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th Oct, 2009 22:27

@Maurice

I read what I read and am old enough and intelligent enough to understand what I read .

I did not mention "dislike" (a Freudian slip ?) , I mentioned "approve" .

I would say that the block capitals were an expression of hope that people would join in & help , as opposed to your interpretation . Everyone to his/her own.

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Oct, 2009 23:50
Last edited on 20th Oct, 2009 04:30
ROFLMAO, This is way out of my league,Ha ha on me. Thank you for Media Direct.

--

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Oct, 2009 08:21
F.Y.I.poss. explanation/link. Received dialogue box via Firefox that Net Framework 3.5 was deemed unstable and a security risk to Firefox. Unable to tell if this might be the culprit or not for you XP users. Would be interested to be advised if this is a build in XP.

--

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Oct, 2009 08:23
The .net warning is not the reason for this inability to install Kernel patches.

Still investigating what's going on.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Nov, 2009 14:49

@Susan Bradly
How about a server distributing bad code from V.I.P. Either primary or mirror?? Either way I am sure it is patched by now. Sorry about the one explanation sounding a little ruff you never know what level everyone is at.

--

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability