Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Unable to connect to internet

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
pricklycactus Unable to connect to internet
Member 18th Oct, 2009 04:18
Ranking: 0
User Since: 1st Aug, 2009
System Score: N/A
Hello,

Secunia PSI (new version) keeps saying "unable to connect to the internet",,,,i am on cable and don't have a problem with any other programs. My firewall has been put on to accept Secunia. HELP

wr RE: Unable to connect to internet
Contributor 18th Oct, 2009 05:04
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
Secunia PSI needs to be able to connect to Secunia servers to complete its scanning. However, if you have not configured
the security settings of Internet Explorer, the Secunia PSI may be prevented from getting the scan results. To receive
your scan results, you need to do some changes to your Internet options.
To do this:
a. Open Internet Explorer.
b. Go to Tools>Internet Options>Security tab.
c. Select the Internet zone and click on the Custom Level button.
d. In Security Settings, go to the Scripting>Active Scripting option.
e. Make sure that Active Scripting is Enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
f. Press OK then Yes.
g. Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted sites zone and click on the Sites button.
h. Look at the bottom of the page and take the tick from the box marked"Require server verification(HTTPS)for all site zones" then type in the following and press the Add button to add them to the Trusted Zone Sites list:
http://*.secunia.com
https://*.secunia.com
i. Press Close
j. Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results
If using a browser other than IE open Control Panel>Internet Options then follow c. thru j.

Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 31.3.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
dmargulis RE: Unable to connect to internet
Member 18th Oct, 2009 09:52
Score: 0
User Since: 20th Aug 2009
I have the same symptoms. Posted solution does not resolve the problem. Seems to have started around the time that I updated my PC with this month's patches. Using IE 8 on XP SP3. (Actually using Firefox 3.5, but IE8 is installed.) Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ArcEnCiel RE: Unable to connect to internet
Member 18th Oct, 2009 13:23
User Since: 18th Oct 2009
I installed PSI new today.

I followed the steps above (Even if I'm not sure about what to do with active scripting in detail, IE 8 has many options concerning scripting and active X).

I added non the less both sides to trusted sites... Still PSI is checking network connections forever.

Can someone give detailed options for IE8 to set?

I have Vista Ultimate SP2 64 with IE 8 (but using Firefox 3.5.3 normally...)

Frank

--
People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.
- Benjamin Franklin
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ArcEnCiel RE: Unable to connect to internet
Member 18th Oct, 2009 13:35
User Since: 18th Oct 2009
Okay it just took some minutes to "check"... In the end it connected in the background when I wrote this ;)

Now I want to siwtch to Advanced view and again program hangs... no response.

To be honest for some security software my impression is not ver good. It behaves quite unstable, does not clearly state whats doing and so on.

Okay its free... But with many actions I get "no reponse" for a while.

--
People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.
- Benjamin Franklin
Was this reply relevant?
+0
knudknud3 RE: Unable to connect to internet
Member 18th Oct, 2009 16:06
User Since: 4th May 2008
System Score: 94%
Last edited on 18th Oct, 2009 16:13
I have had the same problem this morning (and a few other times). Now it is ok, and I have done nothing to solve the problem (I never do). So my experience tells me - just be patient - wait some seconds (10 or more) - close Secunia - try again later. This workes for me every time. Secunia helps me a lot with my programs.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
michaelsalis RE: Unable to connect to internet
Member 18th Oct, 2009 19:39
Score: 57
User Since: 18th Feb 2009
System Score: 98%
I think Secunia must have had a problem this morning (UK time) as PSI has worked almost perfectly for me since installing it about 9 months ago but this morning it would not connect. It seems fine now.

May I suggest you stay with the program and try again it is a great help and generally reliable but nothing is perfect in this world - thank goodness - or we'd never have any fun!!!!

Michael

--
Michael
Toshiba Satelite A660
Intel i7
Windows 7 Ultimate
IE9

Toshiba Equium Laptop
Intel Centrino Duo
Windows Vista Ultimate SP2
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+0
M.Hansen RE: Unable to connect to internet
Secunia Official 19th Oct, 2009 08:37
Score: 188
User Since: 26th Jan 2009
Hi

This weekend we performed maintenance on the PSI servers, causing the PSI to be unable to connect to the servers for a limited period of time.

The PSI should now work as intended again.

We sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

--
Kind regards,

Morten Hansen
Secunia PSI Support

Secunia PSI
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal
jerico RE: Unable to connect to internet
Member 19th Oct, 2009 15:18
User Since: 19th Oct 2009
I still have the exact same problems (since yesterday). I'm using PSI for quite some time now and never had this problem before. I think this excludes wrong configuration. I agree with OP that Secunia should at least throw an error if there are connection problems. It's certainly misleading to show "0 errors" / everything ok if no scan has taken place.

I've traced the connection and it seems that PSI isn't downloading the file signatures.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Piktor RE: Unable to connect to internet
Member 19th Oct, 2009 20:16
Last edited on 20th Oct, 2009 19:39
Hello,

I have similar problems like some of the posters before me:
I installed saturday PSI 1.5.0.1 on the Notebook of a family member, I should check.
Its a HP Compaq nx 7400 with XP Home SP3 / IE 8.0

When I start PSI it tries to test connectivity for minutes, till it tries to download search rules from secunia.
At this point I can watch an outgoing established tcp connection to 213.150.41.231 port 443. After some minutes it looks like, that PSI received some kind of timeout and continues with an empty list, which means that all steps till "Matching data with Secunia File Signatures engine" are done in no time at all.
With matching data (which data??) it opens up the next https connection to the same IP address and waits another minute. During this waiting I receive the first mesage, that my PC is ok.
After finishing the useless scan, the second connection closes, while the first connection (i can differentiate by the outgoing port) stays established as long as PSI is running.

I am somewhat clueless.

Regards

Piktor

P.S. I went now back to version 1.5.0.0, where i had the installer left from installation on my PC. Just the same thing.
On my Thinkpad notebook XP Professional SP3 IE8 PSI works without any problems from the same network.

P.P.S.
20-Okt 19:30 MEST I just tried again, now it worked. Thanks to those, who fixed something behind the scenes!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
RBFroehlich RE: Unable to connect to internet
Member 20th Oct, 2009 12:11
Hello,

just to give another feedback - I've exactly the same problem like Piktor, and the problem still exists.

I installed PSI 1.5.0.1 and it didn't manage to run the first scan.

It seems to me the maintenance Secunia did on the psi.secunia.com server broke the software.
So I'd ask the secunia support to check this issue and fix it asap.

PSI did (does - I don't know for this time) run on my mother's PC for months without any problems; if it still does I can check next weekend as I see her (and the PC) only then.

Thanks to Secunia support for their best efforts to fix this problem!

** Sven **
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jerico RE: Unable to connect to internet
Member 20th Oct, 2009 15:56
My PSI has just come back to life. :-) Thanks a lot for looking into this.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+