xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: First scan - Nothing found?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
ArcEnCiel First scan - Nothing found?
Member 18th Oct, 2009 14:16
Ranking: 0
User Since: 18th Oct, 2009
System Score: N/A
I'm new to PSI - just installed it and made my first scan. After it took ages to "check my network connection" I got it finally to scan.

It took 2 Minutes, mostly in step 2 (getting search rules) and the second last step. It found ZERO results in first scan??? I actually prefer fast programs, but 2 Minutes to scan all my software?

My system is in use for 3 years now, many old software on it used only once or twice. I'm sure there must be something.

Scanning my harddrive was done in just no time? Error report says no error. Last & complete system scan says N/A? Every scan step has nonetheless a green tick? My "secunia system score" is nonetheless 0%?

Sorry but I don't trust the results of this at all, even if I'm new to this program I can see its not working at all.

Is there any problems with servers currently? Otherwise this psi will get uninstalled.

I use Vista Ultimate SP2 64 Bit edition. Is it not working with 64 Bit?

Many questions :)
Frank

--
People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.
- Benjamin Franklin

Anthony Wells RE: First scan - Nothing found?
Expert Contributor 18th Oct, 2009 15:50
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 18th Oct, 2009 15:55
Hello Frank ,

There seem to have been a lot of connection/scan problems this weekend ; maybe server related ??

My last scan was/seemed to be fine , but as Secunia don't work on PSI at the weekends , you may need to be patient until Monday .

If your system is up to speed , here are some tips for using "advanced" mode :-

"To help resolve your problem , here are some instructions to help you first of all get the best out of PSI :-

1)use PSI in "advanced" mode ;
2)in the "settings" tab make sure that the box in the first/upper section is NOT ticked in order to have the maximum info available ;
3)tell us in which "tab(s)" your problem programme is located ;
4)in that tab , click on the + in the box at the left end of the programme , the page will expand ;
5)in the expanded page , tell us what is written in the "installation path" ;
6)in the "toolbox" section , lower down , the link "technical details" should confirm the installation path details ;
7)click on the link "open folder" and you will see more details concerning the location of the "problem" .

If you are unable to resolve the problem yourself , all this info should allow someone on the forum to help/advise you ."

PSI is very effective when working normally (nothing is 100%) , so stick with it a while longer.

Take care
Anthony

PS: PSI only picks out software versions with known security vulnerabilities ; it may not find or know about some of your software programmes ( you can suggest these to Secunia).

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: First scan - Nothing found?
Handling Contributor 18th Oct, 2009 19:04
Score: 11736
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Frank,
I have just tested it at 1810 hours BST (Sunday). It is now working perfectly.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ArcEnCiel RE: First scan - Nothing found?
Member 18th Oct, 2009 20:24
Score: 0
User Since: 18th Oct 2009
Last edited on 18th Oct, 2009 20:25
on 18th Oct, 2009 15:50, Anthony Wells wrote:

1)use PSI in "advanced" mode ;
2)in the "settings" tab make sure that the box in the first/upper section is NOT ticked in order to have the maximum info available ;
3)tell us in which "tab(s)" your problem programme is located ;
4)in that tab , click on the + in the box at the left end of the programme , the page will expand ;
5)in the expanded page , tell us what is written in the "installation path" ;
6)in the "toolbox" section , lower down , the link "technical details" should confirm the installation path details ;
7)click on the link "open folder" and you will see more details concerning the location of the "problem" .

to 1.) I used it in advanced mode
to 2.) This was not ticked
to 3.) Its scan tab. I start scan, and it show scan starting. After 1 Minute 1 second step 2 is completed and immediately it goes to step 7. Now system says "no response", and it shows "Scan completed" lower right corner tray symbol. Main screen still shows step 7. Then after 2 Minutes it says: scan successful, system score 0%, 0 unsafe programs, 0 old programs, 0 actualized programs.
to 4.-7.) Which box on the left? there is no plus? This I can't find on my version, its 1.5.0.1?

Here is a screenshot of scan results:
http://img9.imageshack.us/i/scanresultg.jpg/
and one of overview page:
http://img40.imageshack.us/i/overviewi.jpg/

Just a question is it normal that it needs 12 Minutes and more to check connection? Is it normal that every time I witch to another tab it says "No response" for a few minutes?

How long is the normal time for a system scan?

--
People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.
- Benjamin Franklin
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Oct, 2009 20:50

Hello again Frank ,

From the screen shots (even though I do not speak German) , a "proper scan has not run at all - my scan from here (in France) is running OK - as all the entries in"status der programme" on the "overview" page show 0 ; the third line "aktualisiert" should show all the programmes PSI can "normally" find .

All the times and delays do seem long or unusual ; the actual time for a scan depends on the number of drives, programmes, etc. which are scanned . Yor system is not working correctly , that is for sure .

Points 4 to 7 will only be possible when you have some programmes listed .

Am I right in reading the "error log" , bottom right of scan page , as saying "no error detected" ??

There are a set of instructions from a friendly poster wr for setting up your security to allow you to connect to Secunia servers correctly , I'll go look for them and post them here .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Oct, 2009 21:02
Last edited on 18th Oct, 2009 21:17
Frank ,

These are wr's tried and tested instructions , necessary for connecting to Secunia servers :-

Secunia PSI needs to be able to connect to Secunia servers to complete its scanning. However, if you have not configured
the security settings of Internet Explorer, the Secunia PSI may be prevented from getting the scan results. To receive
your scan results, you need to do some changes to your Internet options.
To do this:
a. Open Internet Explorer.
b. Go to Tools>Internet Options>Security tab.
c. Select the Internet zone and click on the Custom Level button.
d. In Security Settings, go to the Scripting>Active Scripting option.
e. Make sure that Active Scripting is Enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
f. Press OK then Yes.
g. Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted sites zone and click on the Sites button.
h. Look at the bottom of the page and take the tick from the box marked"Require server verification(HTTPS)for all site zones" then type in the following and press the Add button to add them to the Trusted Zone Sites list:
http://*.secunia.com
https://*.secunia.com
i. Press Close
j. Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results
If using a browser other than IE open Control Panel>Internet Options then follow c. thru j.

Regards, wr

The actual/specific sequence should be followed exactly .

See if this changes anything for the better.

Anthony

Edit : I see you have had these instructions on another thread , you need to go through them again , especially the Active Scripting which needs to be enabled.

I am on XP SP3 & IE7/Firefox - so someone else will have to answer further "system" queries .

Have you set Firefox ??

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Oct, 2009 21:45
Last edited on 18th Oct, 2009 21:57
At first many thanks for the help and the time you take for that.

I'm now on a netbook with XP SP3 and IE 8 - same problems on that system. "Please wait while network connectivity is verified" for minutes. and scan shows the zeroes.

Yes you read correctly that it says "No error".

I will check on a PC with IE 7 now, whether it works there... and try to findout what active X settings are required for IE 8. What I'm wondering by the way is, that my firewall is not askingfor PSI to allowconnection. Same was on Vista.

Maybe I can find out whats going on here...

Frank

--
- Benjamin Franklin
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Oct, 2009 21:54

Frank ,

Silly question , but if all the different systems you have use a common router/modem and/or firewall , is it set to allow secunia/PSi in and out ??

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Oct, 2009 22:01
Last edited on 18th Oct, 2009 22:20
Yes it is a common router... with NAT.

Are there any port forwards that need to be done for PSI? Otherwise there is no real firewall on that Router, just NAT.

Anyway I will try now a third PC. This one I will take to work tomorow and try again there if it shows same symptoms. Then I can see, whether my Network is the cause of the problem :)

Edit: Third PC, XP SP3 + IE 7 again same behaviour. Settings as described above where done. Lets see what happens tomorow at office.

Again many thanks...
Frank

--
- Benjamin Franklin
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Oct, 2009 08:26
Last edited on 19th Oct, 2009 08:34
Hello,

I'm now at the office. PSI is again scanning my network connections for over 10 Minutes now.

Thanx all for your help, but this PSI stuff will be uninstalled now. It says after scanning "No error found" but in fact did just nothing. For a program that wants to enchance security this IS REALLY BAD behaviour. I mean I work in computer industry and I know that this can't be, but other non experienced users would be happy now - Hey nothing found, hurra - even with the oldest programs. I expect at least some Error message that it can't connect or whatever else. Giving just green ticks is the worst such a program can do.

By the way the Online Scanner worked at my PC... It shows an old flash version but I can't get the new version at adobe.com (maybe not in German available). And it said skype was out of date, which was true, as I use it only every few month...

So my decision is made after PSI failed to work on three PCs (Vista Ultimate 64 SP2 + IE 8, XP SP3 + IE 8, XP SP3 + IE 7). It will be uninstalled now.

Frank

P.S.: Here is the english screenshot of a "successful" scan...

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9771/scanresulte....

--
- Benjamin Franklin
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th Oct, 2009 12:17
Last edited on 19th Oct, 2009 12:18
Hi Frank ,

Secunia have replied on your other thread and confirmed server "probems" :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/292...

If you are still not able to connect , I'm sure Secunia would be interested in your problem if you mail them at support@secunia.com - you might link them to this thread .

Another poster seems to have the same problem .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Oct, 2009 16:12
Last edited on 19th Oct, 2009 16:26
Yes I have seen that reply and treid again afterwards from Office, but nothing has changed. Actually I'm trying just now again.

- Still checking network connectivity for over 10 Minutes...
- Still 0 programs found...

If secunia is interested to investigate, they may give hints here or send me an email. But this was my last attempt - to much time is going in this now on my side.

How should I "debug" a program, that writes no log, says "no error" and still behaves wrong? No chance...

Frank

Edit: I checked the event log, it says in System, that DCOM can't start MDM service to start server {0C0A3666-30C9-11D0-8F20-00805F2CD064}? This seems to be related to PSI start... But enabling the Maschine Debug Service doesn't change anything.

--
- Benjamin Franklin
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th Oct, 2009 16:26
Last edited on 19th Oct, 2009 16:32
Hi Frank ,

Someone else is still having your problem on your "other" thread . Pity it isn't working for you, but I understand your lack of time. Maybe you could try again , sometime.

Adobe Flash can be areal problem ; I have copied Maurice Joyce's excellent instructions for you (make sure you close any & all programmes which might use flash - read the tech notes at the "uninstaller" download page) :-

""To remove all versions of Flash from the C drive of your PC:

1. Download & use the flash Uninstaller from here:

#####Before actually running the uninstaller it is a good idea to close all browsers,PSI and any other programme U think may be using Flash #####

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

2. Reboot to clear out any left over ocx files.

3. Rescan using PSI - if there are any insecure Flash elements left what is the path to them? U should not proceed to stage 4 until all U clear any problems found.(The PSI overview page may look a little odd because it uses Flash for the pictorials)

Note: At this stage,if PSI finds any elements of Flash in the C:\i386 folder or on any drive other than C that is an OEM reinstallation partition (normally D drive) or a drive U use solely to backup your work U can safely create an ignore rule.

4. Reinstall the latest Internet Explorer Flash Player from here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/

4A.If U are also using Firefox, Opera and other Gecko-based browsers U need this link as well:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_fire...

5. Go to add/remove & double check Adobe have not installed the useless Adobe Download Manager - if U see an entry remove it.

--
Maurice""

Take care
Anthony

Edit: 1)you would use OSI to recheck Flash
2)I am 100% non techie so cannot help on the debug , that is Secunia stuff for me ; they may pick this up later , but respond quickly to an email :)

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Oct, 2009 11:38

Hello Frank ,

If you are still following Secunia , quite a few people seem to have reconnected .

You might want to try again.

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Oct, 2009 15:22
Last edited on 21st Oct, 2009 15:32
Hi,

thx for the hint ;) Now it seems to do something... Step 3 is taking sometime now. I have it still on one of my three PCs and test now withthat one. And it works now :) System score and everything is showing.

Anyway, that it showed before "No errors" is bad behavior.

Many thx for all your efforts again.

Frank

--
- Benjamin Franklin
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Oct, 2009 16:51

A step forward at last , Frank:))

I don't think the error log was built for this type of difficulty -free programme and all that. The key was zero reults in all sections of the "overview" module ; definitely the wrong day to start from Germany , even if you are in such a good wine area - me too :))

If you have time , take a look at the top of the threads page where there is an offer to test the CSI Beta - it runs alongside PSI OK and lets you link your network together - no use to me and my one PC. Trial stops at the end of this month.

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Oct, 2009 23:11
Hi,

it finally worked. I updated a few programs long forgotten and deleted a few more.

So I know why computer papers recommend this tool in the end... And I can drink a glas of red wine now knowing may computer is a peace more safe ;)

Hava a nice week :)
Frank

--
- Benjamin Franklin
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability