xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Some Adobe Reader versions are being incorrectly detected, is Sec...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
bigbadsteve Some Adobe Reader versions are being incorrectly detected, is Secunia working on a fix?
Member 29th Oct, 2009 15:49
Ranking: 0
User Since: 11th Jul, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 29th Oct, 2009 15:59

Some Adobe Reader versions are being incorrectly detected, is Secunia working on a bugfix?

Secunia PSI has been incorrectly detecting my Adobe Reader v8 subversion for months, through multiple security fixes I have applied to Adobe Reader.

My current Adobe Reader version 8.1.7 is detected as 8.1.3.187 by Secunia PSI. The version number does display correctly in Adobe Reader->Help->About Adobe Reader 8. Using Adobe Reader's update function (Help->Check for updates) correctly indicates there are no uninstalled updates for the program.

The issue has been raised on multiple threads on this board for a number of versions of Adobe reader e.g. (v7) at:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/140...

Is Secunia working on a fix for this?

Please limit discussion in this thread to the single topic of Secunia PSI not correctly identifying the Adobe Reader version, thanks people.

Anthony Wells RE: Some Adobe Reader versions are being incorrectly detected, is Secunia working on a fix?
Expert Contributor 29th Oct, 2009 21:16
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 29th Oct, 2009 21:27
@bigbadsteve ,

Looking at various other threads , I get the impression that Secunia are well aware of the problems ; if your version is secure with the "wrong" detection file/rule being used then you could wait until you get to the top of their "priority" list or , if you feel it is critical , contact them at support@secunia.com

This thread shows some of the problems they face;-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/297...

Edit: you don't seem to mention whether your Reader is showing in the "insecure" or the "patched" tab.

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
scoon1 RE: Some Adobe Reader versions are being incorrectly detected, is Secunia working on a fix?
Member 30th Oct, 2009 01:19
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Oct 2009
This is not a reply; it is a question. In the insecure tab, I'm advised to download adbeRdrUpd817_all_incr.msp, but my version, C:\C\program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\AcrpRd32/exe won't accept it, and I'm told patch 8.1.7 has to have 816 to attach to. I have only 8.0. I looked on Adobe's website. Do I have to go to 8.1, then 8.2, and so forth. I tried to download version 9, but it wasn't accepted, not enough memory? Do you have a suggestion?
Regards,
Shirley
Was this reply relevant?
+0
E.Jeppesen RE: Some Adobe Reader versions are being incorrectly detected, is Secunia working on a fix?
Secunia Official 30th Oct, 2009 08:56
Score: 220
User Since: 24th Nov 2008
Thank you for the information. We have just updated our detection rules, so please perform a full system scan with the Secunia PSI and let us know about any changes.
RTdev RE: Some Adobe Reader versions are being incorrectly detected, is Secunia working on a fix?
Member 30th Oct, 2009 11:23
Score: 7
User Since: 27th Oct 2009
Last edited on 31st Oct, 2009 20:17
---To scoon1, and others,
For Adobe Reader update you can visit http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp...

---For Adobe Reader 9x, I suggest you to install the followings:
From Full Download:
Adobe Reader 9.2 update - multiple languages ->AdbeRdr920_xx_XX.exe (xx is for the country).

---For Adobe Reader 8x, I suggest you to install the followings:
From Full Download:
Adobe Reader 8.1.3 update - multiple languages ->AdbeRdr813_xx_XX.exe (xx is for the country).
Then from Updates/Programs:
Adobe Reader 8.1.6 Update - Multiple Languages -> AdbeRdr816Upd_all_incr.msp, (includes 814,815) then
Adobe Reader 8.1.7 Update - Multiple Languages -> AdbeRdr817Upd_all_incr.msp

---For Adobe Reader 7x, I suggest you to install the followings:
From Full Download:
Adobe Reader 7.1.0 update - multiple languages ->AdbeRdr710_xx_XX.exe (xx is for the country).
Then from Updates/Programs:
Adobe Reader 7.1.3 Update - Multiple Languages -> AdbeRdr713Upd_all_incr.msp, (includes 711,712) then
Adobe Reader 7.1.4 Update - Multiple Languages -> AdbeRdr714Upd_all_incr.msp
Phil

Was this reply relevant?
+0
RTdev RE: Some Adobe Reader versions are being incorrectly detected, is Secunia working on a fix?
Member 30th Oct, 2009 12:10
Last edited on 30th Oct, 2009 12:12
To Secunia official, the correction you made today seems worse than the behavior of yesterday.

Till yesterday, Adobe Reader 7.1.4 was detected as 7.1.3 after a full scan.
But an individual Re-Scan finally detected the 7.1.4 version.

Today, the same 7.1.4 Adobe Reader is detected as 7.0.8.218 even after an individual Re-Scan.

Please, correct this, because it is not solved at all.

Phil.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bigbadsteve RE: Some Adobe Reader versions are being incorrectly detected, is Secunia working on a fix?
Member 30th Oct, 2009 13:24
User Since: 11th Jul 2009
To clarify, my Adobe Reader version 8.1.7 was incorrectly being detected as 8.1.3.187 by Secunia PSI, in the Insecure Programs tab.

Now fixed for this version, thanks Secunia.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
E.Jeppesen RE: Some Adobe Reader versions are being incorrectly detected, is Secunia working on a fix?
Secunia Official 30th Oct, 2009 14:53
I'm happy to hear that the issue with Adobe Reader 8 is now solved.

We have now also updated the rules for Adobe Reader 7. Concerning this issue, please also perform a full system scan and let us know if the issue is fixed.
Member 30th Oct, 2009 15:27
After a new full system scan, Adobe Reader 7.1.4.748 is detected as 7.1.3.708.
After an individual re-scan it is detected as 7.1.4.748.
So,same behavior as yesterday (but better than this morning).

Phil.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
scoon1 RE: Some Adobe Reader versions are being incorrectly detected, is Secunia working on a fix?
Member 30th Oct, 2009 18:07
User Since: 21st Oct 2009
I wrote previously. I decided to delete Adobe Reader 8. It doesn't show up in Control Panel and I can't find it anywhere, but one copy(of two)still shows up in the scan. I tried to download a new copy but got a message that refused the download because I had a better version on the computer. I had downloaded AR 9 but I don't think I can use it--not enough memory. I'm thinking now of deleting the AR 9 and reinstalling AR 8. Is it possible the mystery AR 8 which I thought I had deleted shows up because it's in the back-up drive. D Drive? I had another problem with Word. The scan shows a security problem--I'm directed to KB969603, but I have it already. I have Phil's directions for proceeding. Phil, should I try it with AR9, or uninstall AR9, install AR8 and proceed with your instructions? Thanks
Shirley
Was this reply relevant?
+0
lmcbooray RE: Some Adobe Reader versions are being incorrectly detected, is Secunia working on a fix?
Member 31st Oct, 2009 08:18
User Since: 26th Apr 2009
Last edited on 31st Oct, 2009 21:42
I have updated my version of Adobe Acrobat 7 to version 7.1.4.748. After a full scan or the individual program scan, PSI is still showing my version detected as 7.0.8.218 and 'insecure'.
I have installed the fix at least twice and have rebooted as well.

--EDIT:
Installation path:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe

Thanks,
Larry
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Some Adobe Reader versions are being incorrectly detected, is Secunia working on a fix?
Expert Contributor 31st Oct, 2009 09:28
@scoon1

Shirley , whilst waiting for Phil , it would be useful if you posted the actual "installation path" and "version number" showing in PSI for the two AR v8 and the one v9. THe same for Word.

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
pawtricia RE: Some Adobe Reader versions are being incorrectly detected, is Secunia working on a fix?
Member 31st Oct, 2009 18:03
User Since: 27th Nov 2008
I have done exactly the same thing.
I have Adobe Acrobat 7.1.4 installed. Secunia says I have 7.0.8.218 installed and is labeled insecure. I have also rebooted, re-scanned the program, and done a complete scan. I have also run an Adobe repair and rebooted... still insecure.

Installation Path:

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 31st Oct, 2009 20:24
Last edited on 1st Nov, 2009 00:09
Very good suggestion, Anthony !
---To Scoon1, If you think you have a too weak computer (RAM, Processor, Disk...) to run Adobe Reader 9x, so stay with Adobe Reader 8x or Adobe Reader 7x. They work fine enough.

---For every body, i have simplified the Update procedure for Adobe Reader 8x posted on 30th Oct, 2009 11:23 and completed it with the Update procedure for Adobe Reader 7x and 9x. Look at it again it has been edited.
---Phil.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 31st Oct, 2009 21:04
Last edited on 31st Oct, 2009 22:28
---Specially to pawtricia don't stress any more your computer neither your Acrobat Reader, your installation is fine, this is a false positive from secunia. Wait a few days. The file to be taken into account is not C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe but C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AcroRd32.dll

---To lmcbooray, pawtricia and surely many other people.
- I did a new full scan that detects Adobe Reader 7.1.4.748 as 7.1.3.708.and then an individual re-scan that detects it as 7.1.4.748.
- It is very bizarre, because i still have the behavior described on 30th Oct, 2009 15:27 which is different of yours.
- It seems that the detection rules are not the same everywhere in the world.
- You both seem to have the detection rules dated 30th Oct, 2009 08:56 and tested by me on 30th Oct, 2009 12:10.
and not the detection rules dated 30th Oct, 2009 14:53.
I am located in France, and i suggest you to mention your location to help secunia to update their servers.
Phil.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
lmcbooray RE: Some Adobe Reader versions are being incorrectly detected, is Secunia working on a fix?
Member 31st Oct, 2009 21:47
--To RTdev and others

I realize that I should have noted that my problem scan is with Adobe Acrobat 7 and not with Reader. My Reader version is 9.2 and PSI is fine with that.
I believe pawtricia is in the same situation, as the installation path for the 'problem' executable is the same as mine.

Perhaps this should be a separate thread? or not?

Thanks,
Larry
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 31st Oct, 2009 22:41
It is possible that secunia has updated the detection rules for Adobe Reader 7.1.4 but not yet for Acrobat Professional 7.1.4.
I don't have an Acrobat Professional 7.1.4 running.
But the Acrobat Professional 8.1.7.59 is correctly detected.
Phil.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 31st Oct, 2009 23:17
Last edited on 31st Oct, 2009 23:37
Having successfully negotiated the lengthy saga of updating Adobe Reader v 9.0->9.1->9.2 , I would like to add some info which might help some of you :-

1)Phil has given you excellent update advice in his ammended posting of 30th Oct.

2)Secunia has had a great deal of difficulty in establishing consistent "detection rules" for Adobe programmes , though not for want of trying ; with Reader v9.2 it seems settled for now , hopefully v8 is mostly settled while v7 still seems to be work in progress :o((
What seem to be the files used by Secunia are sometimes not the the ones you see in the "installation path" nor the any of the "obvious" alternatives .

3)Make use of the "Help" drop-down menu in your programme for two purposes :-

a)) If you think you are up to date and PSI says you are not , check "about" in that menu and if there is a difference of opinion , report it here in the Forum ; it is better to check here first so as to get some help in defining the exact problem .

b)) Next time you are told by PSI that you have an "insecure" version and need to update , best practice at the moment , from what I understand , is to use the "check for updates" link in the "Help" menu and follow the update instructions in the Adobe wizard ; do NOT use the PSI solution links .

If there is a problem at this stage go to the "repair" link in the menu .

If that fails , go direct to the Adobe site and find the "correct" update - not as easy as it sounds ; watch out for the extras that come bundled in - you might want to try somewhere like FileHippo as an alternative . In the past this has sometimes required a "clean" uninstall/reinstall .

If all else fails , try the PSI solution ; for whatever reason , it tends (historically) to have given the most problems .

FWIW , I am in France and my OS is French , but I have not come across any geographical anomalies with Adobe . They certainly do occur as the last update of Open Office demonstrated , so mentioning your location could be helpful .

Hope this clears up a few points , if not feel free to ask or suggest something.

Take care
Anthony

PS: Secunia do not work on PSI at the weekend , so you'll need to wait until early next week for any progress.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Nov, 2009 01:30
Thanks to RTdev, Anthony, E.Jeppesen, et.al. for your efforts and advice.
Will wait and see how things shake out next week.

Larry
Was this reply relevant?
+0
rdcook01 Some Adobe PRO versions i.e. 7.1.4 are being incorrectly detected, is Secunia working on a fix?
Member 1st Nov, 2009 05:01
User Since: 25th Oct 2008
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 1st Nov, 2009 05:05
on 31st Oct, 2009 18:03, pawtricia wrote:
I have done exactly the same thing.
I have Adobe Acrobat 7.1.4 installed. Secunia says I have 7.0.8.218 installed and is labeled insecure. I have also rebooted, re-scanned the program, and done a complete scan. I have also run an Adobe repair and rebooted... still insecure.

Installation Path:

AMEN! and AMEN!

There is a speed loader Acrobat_sl.exe version 7.1.4.2009100200 which apparently loads the old acrobat.exe version 7.0.8.218 with overlays, patches or different dlls.

--
r cook
S. Indiana
Was this reply relevant?
+0
RTdev RE: Some Adobe PRO versions i.e. 7.1.4 are being incorrectly detected, is Secunia working on a fix?
Member 1st Nov, 2009 22:49
Last edited on 1st Nov, 2009 22:52
Old doesn't mean insecure.
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe version 7.0.8.218 seems have not been impacted by 7.0.9 update, nor 7.1.0, nor 7.1.1, nor 7.1.2, nor 7.1.3, nor 7.1.4.
This seems just a bad detection rule of Adobe Acrobat 7.1.4 from secunia.

This was the same for C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe version 7.0.8.218 not impacted by updates from 7.0.9 till 7.1.4.
The bad detection rule of Adobe Reader 7.1.4 was corrected by secunia on 30th Oct, 2009 14:53.

Guess that the detection rule of Adobe Acrobat 7.1.4 will be corrected by secunia on Monday 2nd Nov.
Phil.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 2nd Nov, 2009 16:16
If you are using Acrobat Professional 7.1.4 and it is incorrectly detected, then please try to find a related file in its program folder that contains the correct file version information. You can use the PSI to make a software suggestion on that file. That will help us correct the detection rules.
Expert Contributor 2nd Nov, 2009 16:24

For E Jeppersen ,

There are some details listed in this (new) thread :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/300...

Hope that helps

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Nov, 2009 17:47
E.Jeppesen,

In the path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\

the following 3 files show the version to be 7.1.4.748:

Acrobat.dll
AcrobatInfo.exe
Acrobat_sl.exe

This is in reference to Adobe Acrobat 7 Pro.
Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Larry
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Peter1955 RE: Some Adobe Reader versions are being incorrectly detected, is Secunia working on a fix?
Member 3rd Nov, 2009 01:20
User Since: 24th Apr 2009
To all,

There are issues with Adobe products. This is not problem of Secunia. I am receiving multiple alarms about vulnerabilities in different versions of Adobe Reader in my AV Kaspesky. The downloads, which are stated as solution are not solving the problems. On the next scan the report is showing the same problems. We better send e-mail notifications to adobe but not to Secunia, because Secunia is not responcible for products of another company.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
pawtricia RE: Some Adobe Reader versions are being incorrectly detected, is Secunia working on a fix?
Member 3rd Nov, 2009 02:56
I have exactly the same information as Larry.

"In the path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\

the following 3 files show the version to be 7.1.4.748:

Acrobat.dll
AcrobatInfo.exe
Acrobat_sl.exe

This is in reference to Adobe Acrobat 7 Pro."
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 3rd Nov, 2009 08:52
Thank you very much for the software suggestions you have made. We have now updated the detection rules for Adobe Acrobat Professional 7.1.4.748. Please try a new full system scan with the PSI and let us know of any changes.
Expert Contributor 3rd Nov, 2009 11:59

For @peter1955

The problems you mention are those of interpreting the Kaspersky information , if , PSI is NOT showing you insecure versions . This thread is dealing with similar Kaspersky questions :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/300...

Hope this helps .

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Nov, 2009 13:35
I ran a complete scan, and that green bar with 100% secure sure does look good! I don't know what you did, buy I treasure you all. I hope Larry gets the same results.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Nov, 2009 18:11
on 3rd Nov, 2009 08:52, E.Jeppesen wrote:
Thank you very much for the software suggestions you have made. We have now updated the detection rules for Adobe Acrobat Professional 7.1.4.748. Please try a new full system scan with the PSI and let us know of any changes.

I ran a complete scan and I am happy to say that I am back to 100%!
Thanks again to all who got involved to get this worked out!
Larry
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Nov, 2009 10:16
Thanks also to Secunia Official for their fast reaction.
Phil.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
k.madsen RE: Some Adobe Reader versions are being incorrectly detected, is Secunia working on a fix?
Member 9th Feb, 2010 13:24
User Since: 9th Feb 2010
Last edited on 9th Feb, 2010 13:26
Secunia Official on 3rd Nov 2009 stated "We have now updated the detection rules for Adobe Acrobat Professional 7.1.4.748" however there appears still to be a problem with Adobe Acrobat Standard 7.1.4.748. Will there be updated detection rules for this product/version as well??
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 9th Feb, 2010 13:58
k.madsen,
It does not seem possible to get a free trial version of Adobe Acrobat Standard, so I have not been able to test this myself. I would very much appreciate if you could send us a software suggestion for your installed version of Adobe Acrobat Standard. If in doubt about how to do this, please contact us at support@secunia.com

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+