Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: soluton/security patch

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
ghosh.sanjib soluton/security patch
Member 8th Nov, 2009 17:05
Ranking: 0
User Since: 8th Nov, 2009
System Score: 99%
Whenever I use solution for security patches and reinstall the programs by downloading and rescan,I find that patches fail each time.All the programs are detected in the C:\ drive.This is why I was disappointed and removed PSI 3 months ago but I reinstalled psi 1.5 today and found the problem as usual occuring.I use windows xp SP2 professional and had not downloaded windows update for fear of installation of active X controls by microsoft.Can anybody suggest some way out?
Sanjib Ghosh

--
Gsanjib

michaelsalis RE: soluton/security patch
Member 8th Nov, 2009 17:12
Score: 57
User Since: 18th Feb 2009
System Score: 98%
Last edited on 9th Nov, 2009 03:41
Do you use Secunia in Advanced mode? If so what does it show you for each program there?

Michael

--
Michael
Toshiba Satelite A660
Intel i7
Windows 7 Ultimate
IE9

Toshiba Equium Laptop
Intel Centrino Duo
Windows Vista Ultimate SP2
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ghosh.sanjib RE: soluton/security patch
Member 9th Nov, 2009 13:11
Score: 0
User Since: 8th Nov 2009
Thanks for ur query.I used Advanced mode and was able to update 3 out of 6 end of life programs but failed to update winzip 8.x and power dvd5.x,for both showing "file could not be deleted,access denied" while I have winzip112 and power dvd6 installed showing in desktop.Moreover whenever I try to upgrade MSVisual Foxpro6.x toVFP9_sp2,an error message shows "the upgrade patch cannot be installed because the program to be updated may be missing/upgrade patch may upgrade a different version of the program.Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on ur compu and that u have the correct upgrade path".Both VFP 6.X and VFP 9 are in C drive\my documents.I'm first using computer at 57 years of age,starting from last Feb and a college teacher.It would be helpful if you/anyone can give me step by step instructions about what and how to overcome the problems.Further secunia shows 37 insecure programs on my compu and I'm at a loss what to do.Any suggestions?

--
Gsanjib
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Nov, 2009 02:15
Last edited on 10th Nov, 2009 02:17
hi ghosh.sanjib

WinZip is on version 14.0 (8652) so I guess they gave up supporting many of the older versions some time ago. I am a little confused as you mention you have WinZip version 8 listed and WinZip 112. What version of WinZip does the actual program show (open WinZip click the about button and it will tell you what version of the program you are using). Have you tried the update through WinZip itself I guess it will tell you to upgrade to version 14 for which you will have to pay. I think you can purchase the new version for about $30, WinZip does offer a subscription which I think was the about $20 per annum and you receive the latest version during the 12 month subscription period. If you have version 11.2 and some files are left over from version 8.x you may be able to remove the old files.

If you rarely use WinZip there are similar programs which you can obtain free, one of them is WinRAR which seems to be popular, visit http://www.cnet.com/ where you can download the program and then remove WinZip

For help with finding the latest versions of programs you can download the TechTracker from the CNET website and it will scan your computer and find the latest verion of the programs you have for which it has details and help with links to download them. Another similar program from Filehippo will do the same, you can also download programs from this site, the link is http://www.filehippo.com/default.aspx

I know nothing of the Power dvd program you mention although it looks as if you have version 6.x and possibly have some old files of verion 5.x still left on your computer.

Where does Secunia psi show the 37 programs you say are insecure? Is it not that they show up in the "Patched" section of Secunia and is just showing what threat there would be if they were not patched with a little multi-coloured bar graph alongside each program entry? If this is not the case and they are really insecure expand each entry by clicking on the + sign at the start of each program and Secunia will help you to patch the programs, however, I suspect you are looking at the "Patched" section of Secunia and have the latest patches for each of the programs listed. You only have to find solutions for programs listed by Secunia in the "Insecure" and "End of Life" sections of Secunia.

If you are having any further problems repost in the forum and I or some of the many others here will try to help, there are some very knowledgable and helpful people in the forum.

Michael

--
Michael
Toshiba Satelite A660
Intel i7
Windows 7 Ultimate
IE9

Toshiba Equium Laptop
Intel Centrino Duo
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Nov, 2009 23:32
Last edited on 10th Nov, 2009 23:39
I have since learnt that there may be a connection between having some WinZip version 8 on your computer when quite possibly you are using version 11 as WinZip stopped supporting version 8 at about the same time that version 11 was issued. There is a common fault with many programs when installing a newer version it does not fully uninstall the old version. This may be the case in your situation.

Version 11 is just about to become "end of life" and if it is showing as insecure now it may never become patched. It may be that if you want to keep WinZip you will have to install version 14, you may be able to obtain a reduced price being a current user of an older version of WinZip. If you no longer use it I would just uninstall it. Download and install Revo uninstaller using this link http://www.revouninstaller.com/ and use it to uninstall both version 11 and hopefully any remaining version 8 files of WinZip.

You can keep Revo Unintaller to uninstall any program you wish in the future.

Michael

--
Michael
Toshiba Satelite A660
Intel i7
Windows 7 Ultimate
IE9

Toshiba Equium Laptop
Intel Centrino Duo
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: soluton/security patch
Handling Contributor 11th Nov, 2009 00:45
Score: 11581
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
System Score: N/A
Being a user of Winzip 14 Professional I have added a few bits:

Winzip do not include uninstallers with their programmes.

You must uninstall one version before installing another unless you want problems by using add/remove. This advise covers upgrading from trial/Beta or older versions.

If this fails (highly unlikely) uninstalling should be done using this tool:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Any other method may have serious side effects on any saved encrypted zip files.

Unless the original email registration documentation has been retained a note of the old product key (open Winzip>help>about)is required to claim a discounted upgrade. Details of upgrades and product upgrade assurance (the best deal) are here:

http://www.winzip.com/upgrade.htm

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Nov, 2009 07:25
Last edited on 18th Nov, 2009 13:53
Thanks Michael for your suggestions,I'll try as you suggested.Sorry being late to give U more info.I used Revo uninstaller as u told for removing some programs and used it to clear junk files folder.But this software can remove programs only from C-drive and it cannot show programs installed in other drives or remove them.Since I configured my pc recently,I have now my old HD of 80GB and new of 250GB.As such I have C,D,E,F and old c,old d, old e,old f alongwith G for removable drive.I tried all provisions of Revo but couldn't find my folders in other drives except C. I haven't tried windows uninstaller as Maurice told simply out of fear.Do U have any further suggestions re: using Revo?Please let me know.Kindly visit Maurice's link,this will give U an idea of my present situation which I sent today just before informing you.I removed Winzip 8.x and installed trial version of Winrar from cnet.

--
Gsanjib
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Nov, 2009 07:51
Thanks Maurice for your suggestions.I read the MS document and being a first user of computer at 57 years of age,do you suggest that I shall be able to handle windows uninstaller tool properly myself?I'm using a trial version of winzip.If you can help giving me stepwise instructions to remove winzip8.x using windows installer without harming my pc,I shall be grateful.I use win xp sp2 professional and my secunia score is only 70%, much below the average users in India.I failed to remove 4 end of life programs,each showing access denied from my C drive and 46 insecure from which I tried to update some using secunia solution but after rescannig, they reappeared.Please guide me if you can. Prof.S.Ghosh

--
Gsanjib
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 11th Nov, 2009 11:09
That tool will not harm your PC. You will note there is a download link on the Microsoft page. Click that and download/install the programme.

Once that is complete go to START>ALL PROGRAMS>select the programme WINDOWS INSTALL CLEAN UP.

Double click on it & the programme will open. Scroll up & down & look for the entry (ALL USERS) WINZIP 8 (or something like that.

HIGHLIGHT IT then click the REMOVE BUTTON (bottom right)

Winzip 8 is history.

Before I try & help with others it would be interesting to know why U have not installed SP3. Not only will this increase your security but will enable your PC to be fully patched. (Some updates now require SP3 to be installed)

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Nov, 2009 13:21
Thanks Maurice for ur suggestions.Extremely sorry being late.I had to go out of station,so I couldn't answer.I was able to remove Winzip and some other programs and my secunia score is now 83%.Still now secunia shows the following programs as insecure:-
1)Google chrome 3.0.195.32 though chrome browser shows that I'm using version 3.0.195.33 though I had not updated myself.
2)PowerDVD v. 5.0.1307 though I updated from Cyberlink to the build 3430
3)MSXML 4.10.9404.0 which I failed to update trying several times from given link to MS HOME [/i] as well as failed to remove it since it automatically recycled to the same drive.
4)MS MDAC 2.81.1117.0 which I failed to update from MS updates since only one update is available which I do not require but no MDAC update shown in the list.
I didn't update to Win xp SP3 since I still didn't get sufficient time to go thro' the articles and for fear that updating may harm my pc. SG

--
Gsanjib
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 18th Nov, 2009 17:36
Last edited on 18th Nov, 2009 17:45
Try this for MSXML.

UPDATING MSXML 4
================

1. MSXML 4 is a standalone version that supports legacy 3rd party installs.
2. Microsoft have released the final SP prior to it becoming obsolete on 13 April 2010.

Your problem should be resolved if you uninstall all versions of MSXML 4 SP2 - reboot - and then install MSXML 4 SP3 which is a complete replacement for SP2 & the various hot fixes.

As for any new install read the Release Notes here:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/2/D/A2D85...

The download link is here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Fa...
The download file to select is MSXML.MSI 2.3MB

Secunia picks it up as secure with version 4.30.2100.0

Information & the link to update MDAC is here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/231943/

16:35 18/11/2009

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻ

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 18th Nov, 2009 18:14
Cyberlink DVD.

U have the last update for version 5.

There are 3 options.
1. Upgrade on repayment to version 9.
2. Uninstall it & use something else.
3. Live with the vulnerability.

SP3.

As I said before, some Microsoft updates are now only available to those with SP3 installed. Your security will be impaired until such time as SP3 is installed.

Google.

Absolutely sure someone else will help U.Lots on the Forum about their products. I do not use anything Google.

17:12 18/11/2009

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: soluton/security patch
Expert Contributor 18th Nov, 2009 22:05
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Evening ! Regarding Google Chrome:-
You can check for updates at any time, simply by clicking on the "spanner"..top right of the browser, and then clicking on "About Google Chrome ": it will check for updates and ask to install. I seem to remember that when a new version is available that hasn't been checked for, it will update automatically.
What Secunia is detecting, in your case, is the older version file. Chrome does'nt delete/remove it when new versions are installed. If you remove that, it should clear up that particular insecurity.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability