Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Have Tried EVERYTHING (I Can Think Of) To Create Ignore Rules

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
All Threads

This thread has been marked as locked.
This user no longer exists Have Tried EVERYTHING (I Can Think Of) To Create Ignore Rules
Member 9th Nov, 2009 10:21
Ranking: 0
User Since: 1st Jan, 1970
System Score: N/A
I am "pulling my hair out" after spending DOZENS of hours reading countless forum threads, and trying EVERY possible link in the Secunia PSI program (v 1.5.0.1). I audited computer security for 26 years so I am not a novice computer user. And I would not have started a new thread without seeing if there were already threads about my specific problem.

The problem is that I don't seem to have any way to create global ignore rules. When I go to the settings tab from the advanced menu, and click on the Create Ignore Rule link, it does not open any kind of a screen to create a new rule. It opens a tall, narrow "window" and there is a box to create a rule name. But when I create the rule name, there is no way to do anything else, because the rule name is the only part of the window that is visible, and there is no way to navigate to other fields. Using the sidebar arrow does not do anything with the tall, narrow "window" where the rule is supposed to be created. Hitting the enter key after putting in the rule name does nothing either. All I can do is enter the name of the rule, but I can't even save it.

I can see the tiny part of the top of what looks like 'Rule [2]' but that is all I can see and when I click on the [2] which appears to be a link, it does nothing.

I have the same problem SOMETIMES (but not always), when I try to create an ignore rule for a specific program found in the scan. Sometimes it will let me create an ignore rule, but in the one particular case that is bugging me so much, the same thing happens that I described above. When I use the sidebar arrow, the active "window" won't move, and there is no way to get beyond the point where it gives you the suggested name of the ignore rule. I can't save it; hitting the enter key does nothing.

I can also see one suggested global rule (to ignore the D drive, which is my recovery drive), and that is EXACTLY the rule I want to have!!! But I can't activate the suggested rule, and nothing happens when I click on the link '[1]'

If it is possible to post screenshots here in this forum, I would be HAPPY to do that, because I have taken screenshots of this problem, that would demonstrate the problem much better than I can describe it. If anyone can tell me how to post a screen shot in a follow-up reply to this thread, I will do that!

Thanks...

Maurice Joyce RE: Have Tried EVERYTHING (I Can Think Of) To Create Ignore Rules
Handling Contributor 9th Nov, 2009 10:36
Score: 11710
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
To post a screenshot U must first capture the screen,post it to your host web site then post the website URL to the forum.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Have Tried EVERYTHING (I Can Think Of) To Create Ignore Rules
Member 9th Nov, 2009 10:38
Thank you. I do not have a place to post photos or screenshots on-line though. I appreciate the info for future reference also!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Have Tried EVERYTHING (I Can Think Of) To Create Ignore Rules
Handling Contributor 9th Nov, 2009 11:11
Score: 11710
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
I use Windows Live Skydrive. All U require is a Microsoft Live ID which is free.

It has the added advantage of also allowing video clips to be posted.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Have Tried EVERYTHING (I Can Think Of) To Create Ignore Rules
Member 9th Nov, 2009 12:05
Thanks, Maurice. I might try that if no one can give me a solution without seeing my screenshots. But I would not be inclined to use such a service for anything else, so I will give it a day or two and see if someone comes up with a solution without having to do that. Good suggestion though, and I will keep that in mind!

Thanks again,
Jerry
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Have Tried EVERYTHING (I Can Think Of) To Create Ignore Rules
Expert Contributor 9th Nov, 2009 16:28
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

This (very long) thread discussed a similar problem :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/285...

It eventually needed a direct contact with support@secuia.com as we never did get to "see" a screenshot (url) posted to the forum .

Secunia seemed to point to a monitor screen size resolution problem (or something techie of that nature).

Does this help ?

Let us know your progress and "post that sreenshot :o))"

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Nov, 2009 18:11
Thank you so much, Anthony!!! Increasing the screen resolution temporarily solved the problem completely. It was interesting that some of the Secunia tabs had things on the bottom of the page that I had never seen before. I prefer a low screen resolution because I spend 8 to 10 hours a day on the computer, and it is much easier on my eyes (I'm 59 years old). But Secunia is the first application I have encountered that did not display the entire pages with a lower screen resolution.

Some of the forum readers in the VERY helpful thread you linked might want to check out this free screencapture utility that I use pretty often. I can capture photos from Powerpoint slide shows this way, and you can configure it to just hit the F6 key and it will capture the entire screenshot and save it as a .jpg file, .bmp file, or whatever. Very easy to use and not hard to figure out how to use it. I'll post this link in the other thread also.

http://download.cnet.com/ScreenHunter-Free/3000-21...

By just being able to create an ignore rule for the Recovery Drive (that I have no access to anyway), I now have a 100% score from the Advanced menu, and I download a TON of freeware. This is the only ignore rule I have set up, so now I can sleep good having this problem solved! And more importantly, knowing all my programs are patched...

Thanks again!
Jerry
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Nov, 2009 19:44
Last edited on 9th Nov, 2009 19:48

Hello Jerry ,

Thank you for your update . Glad you had success.

My even older eyes mean that I use my 32"/80cm LCD TV screen , with wireless mouse , etc. , at an unknown (to me) resolution (whatever that is) ; but by playing with the font size and if necessary page print size I can read in comfort at roughly 2m distance (progressive spectacle lenses obligatory) . I could read from the neighbour's if it weren't for the walls !

I tend to only need the "print screen key" and Picasa for my infrequent use ; I've been recommended Screen Hunter before and Gizmo's Site does a good review of the Freebies" :-

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-screen-c...

As a Firefox user , Screenshot Pimp also grabs my attention !:o)) Probably would be my choice :-

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/129...

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Nov, 2009 08:21
Thanks for the suggestions, Anthony. Here are the two Firefox add-ons that I can't do without, in terms of making webpages easier to view. Of course, you might already be using them already.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/259...

With just one mouseclick on the NoSquint icon in the status bar, you can customize the way each website looks when you view it on your computer, and it will display the website the same way every time you visit it again. Don't like the background color because it is too hard to see the links? No problem, just change the background color, the color of the text, the color of the links you have already visited, or whatever.

The zoom feature is the best part though, because by adjusting the slider for either text zoom or full zoom in the small NoSquint window that comes up, you can see how the changes look while moving either slider. This single add-on would be reason enough for me to use Firefox instead of IE!

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/116...

The Tidy Read add-on "extracts" the article you are trying to read on-line, even multipage articles, and displays the article by itself without all the other stuff that clutters up the page. And it displays them with your default font, default font size, and even default page width that you set up. The page width allows you to use less of the viewing screen to display the article so your eyes don't have to keep going back and forth so much, if you like that.

You can even have it automatically extract the article from every webpage you view, although I usually just activate it (with one mouse click on the icon in the status bar) on a site by site basis, because with the NoSquint add-on I have already customized my most frequently visited websites so that the articles display exactly the way I want them to.

With these two Firefox add-ons, I can make every website as easy to read as I want!

In addition, I prefer a general purpose screencapture utility like Screenhunter instead of a Firefox add-on because I can use it with all programs and not just Firefox. Just hitting the F6 key when I am watching a Powerpoint slideshow when I see a photo I want to add to my screensaver collection automatically creates a .jpg photo of the entire screen and then saves it in a file. No need to use another program like Paint or the one you use with the printscreen key.

Thanks again,
Jerry
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 10th Nov, 2009 10:48

Wow , Jerry , thanks for such great info ! I shall certainly give both add-onsa run out , straight away .

My screensaver runs out of a Picasa folder anyway , but I take your point and will check out the Hunter when I can - too many add-ons can hurt the Fox - and I do use Chrome a lot .

In return , these are my favourite :)) add-ons :-

A must for everybody , "Colourful Tabs" cheers up every page and "Personas" is close behind :-

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/136...

"Coolpreviews" does everything I need for my "research" needs , saves hours :-

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/220...

Thanks again and take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability