Relating to this vendor:
And, this specific program:
Java Web Start 1.x
|marty5||Failure to download update|
|11th Nov, 2009 19:31|
User Since: 19th Aug, 2009
System Score: N/A
I keep getting security notice re: Sun Java Jre 1.6.x/6x Version 22.214.171.124 as not being secure. However, I have tried three times and download fails.
The same 1.6.x/6x Version 126.96.36.199 als0 fails.
What should I do? Normally I have everything okay.
|Maurice Joyce||RE: Failure to download update|
|11th Nov, 2009 21:37|
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
System Score: N/A
|CLEARING OUT OLD JAVA DROSS
JAVA now use an Uninstaller as part of the install process.
It works very well but ONLY removes the previous version.
To ensure U have no previous dross from very old versions on your PC & to make updating easier for the future I would recommend:
1.Install or double check U have the latest JAVA version (Currently Version 6 Update 17)from here:
Once the update is complete go to Control Panel>JAVA icon>Update Tab and take the tick out of box marked "Check for updates auto ....." (This will prevent a an unnecessary file from starting each time U switch on your PC - PSI is already doing this job for U)
2. Now remove all the old dross from older versions.
The tool will do the job by deleting useless files from previous installs except for the version U have just installed
*This link takes U to the site - select the Windows Binary (zip) option.
*This will lead U to Sourceforge.net to download it.
*Save the download to desktop.
*Activate the desktop zip icon which exposes the JAVARA EXE file. Click it
*Select RUN when asked.
*Select your language.
*The tool will now appear on the desktop - select REMOVE OLDER VERSIONS
*Once complete select ADDITIONAL TASKS - tick all boxes & activate.
*Right click on the desktop JAVARA zip file & delete it.
3. If U wish to test your JAVA is working correctly use this test link: http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
FUTURE UPDATING OF JAVA.
Now U have cleared the dross future updating is easy & should not include the procedure outlined above. All U will need to do is:
1. Go to Start>Control Panel>click on the JAVA icon>select the Update tab>click the Update Now button.
2. Once the update is complete go to Control Panel>JAVA icon>Update Tab and take the tick out of box marked "Check for updates auto ....." (This will prevent a an unnecessary file from starting each time U switch on your PC - PSI is already doing this job for U)
3. If U prefer not to have the JAVA icon in the System Tray when in use, open the Advanced Tab>look for Miscellaneous>click the + sign & then remove the tick from clearly marked box.
4. If U wish to test your JAVA is working correctly use this test link: http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
By using this recommended method the previous version will be automatically uninstalled & U are guaranteed to get the correct version for your OS.
Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
|MaritimeRider||RE: Failure to download update|
|12th Nov, 2009 01:07|
User Since: 15th Mar 2009
System Score: 100%
|Thank you Maurice. I was under the false illusion that I had Java on my system. A major oversight for me. This answer had all the info I needed and now it is up and running. Been a while since I had need of checking the Java site.It definitely was not this one. With the site you mentioned,downloads, updates and/or checking for efficiency only takes a few minutes.|
Not a customer already?