Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Windows XP

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
all4u2 Windows XP
Member 11th Nov, 2009 20:35
Ranking: 0
User Since: 20th May, 2009
System Score: N/A
Why is it telling that my XP has a unsecure? When I go to microsoft update there no any thing for windows.

/Kuno

Maurice Joyce RE: Windows XP
Handling Contributor 11th Nov, 2009 21:35
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Clearly U have installed everything from Microsoft "Patch Tuesday"?

I had this for a short while - I did an extra Windows reboot & then a full PSI scan & the problem disappeared.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Lexus12 RE: Windows XP
Member 17th Nov, 2009 13:26
Score: 0
User Since: 14th Aug 2009
I had the same issue and installed the non-critical XP updates. Upon rebooting, Secunia said that I still had XP issues. I ran a full scan and got a 100% score.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
reffer101 RE: Windows XP
Member 17th Nov, 2009 15:27
User Since: 12th Nov 2009
on 17th Nov, 2009 13:26, Lexus12 wrote:
I had the same issue and installed the non-critical XP updates. Upon rebooting, Secunia said that I still had XP issues. I ran a full scan and got a 100% score.

I was also having the same problem but after updating the Anti-Virus

--
Nike Watches @ http://www.thewatchhut.co.uk/nike.htm
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Windows XP
Contributor 18th Nov, 2009 04:04
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 18th Nov, 2009 05:26
Hello;

I also had strange happenings after doing updates this weekend. I won't go into details here, but I did post a thread (XP Home insecure again or not?). Are you having problems with XP Home or Pro, and what Service Pack do you have installed?

regards;
Fred

p.s.; link to above mentioned post: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/306...

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
baumgrenze RE: Windows XP
Member 19th Nov, 2009 04:52
Score: 1
User Since: 10th Jul 2008
I am running XP Pro SP3

A BelArc scan reports:

All required security hotfixes (using the 11/10/2009 Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary) have been installed.

A Secunia PSI scan reports

This installation of Microsoft Windows XP Professional is insecure and potentially exposes your system to security threats!

Secunia strongly recommends that you update this program by installing the update that is provided by the vendor of this program.

I try to resist using IE if at all possible. I do not like the approach taken by MS with their auto update and this being the only update path linked by Secunia.

Is there some way that Secunia's results could tell me what it thinks is missing instead of telling me to run IE and trust MS?

Thanks,

baumgrenze
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 19th Nov, 2009 05:22
Last edited on 19th Nov, 2009 05:28
Hi baumgrenze;

You can find any MS download at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb403698.aspx that is, if you can find it. Happy hunting.

As far as needed information, using PSI in advanced mode (upper right corner, when "simple" is blue & "advanced" is black), click on insecure tab, click on [+] to the left of the program in question. There should be ample info to help.

I run XP Pro SP3 on my HP and haven't noticed anything yet. There were some high prioity updates last week for XP & Office.

If you want to track the updates yourself without using MS Update go to:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin... to learn how to get update bulletins from MS via e-mail. However, the e-mail will contain all MS security updates for that month.

regards;
Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
baumgrenze RE: Windows XP
Member 19th Nov, 2009 06:05
Score: 1
User Since: 10th Jul 2008
Thank you Fred,

I tried to paste a screen dump here, but did not succeed.

It is pretty clear to me that I am in the advanced mode. When I click on the underlined SIMPLE in blue I am warned that I am going to a less sophisticated interface.

The information available is what I posted, i.e,

"This installation of Microsoft Windows XP Professional is insecure and potentially exposes your system to security threats!

Secunia strongly recommends that you update this program by installing the update that is provided by the vendor of this program."

There is only an "N/A" in the installation path box.

Fix It! just tells me to use the MS auto update button.

I don't know if the BelArc

http://download.cnet.com/Belarc-Advisor/3000-2094_...

is updated as frequently as Secunia PSI, but here is what CNET says about it:

CNET editors' review

Reviewed by: CNET Staff on November 08, 2008

Hiring a professional computer-security consultant is out of reach for most home PC users, but Belarc Advisor can fill part of that gap.

The app analyzes a machine's weak points, looking at elements such as whether antivirus software is up to date, or whether all the security flaws in Windows have been patched. It uses the Center for Internet Security (CIS) benchmark test to give the computer a score showing its overall security level, and produces a report that can be viewed in a Web browser.

Not only does it analyze software and operating system components and tell you where problems are, but in its comprehensive report it tells you what your computer's physical components are: not just how much RAM you have, for example, but what kind of RAM and which slots are occupied.

This program doesn't fix the problems itself, but gives clear advice on how to address each issue. This download is free for personal use; we recommend it to home users as a first step in securing their home systems, or for those considering a hardware upgrade who want to see what's in their current system.

I've found it useful as an additional tool at times.

John
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Windows XP
Expert Contributor 19th Nov, 2009 17:48
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 19th Nov, 2009 17:55
Hello John ,

My personal preference is to run Belarc** after the update & print out a copy every so often to add to my "back up" ; I then cross check with my "download/update history" at the "microsoft update" site :-

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6...

(This is the French site as my OS is French - but you get the picture).

I navigate there using Firefox and my "IE Tab" add-on which , nowadays , auto selects IE and , because I do not use Windows Automatic Updates , I also use this way to get "there" and use "custom" selection of updates . I have WGA and so consider this the surest and probably safest way to keep my OS and MS programmes up to date.

If these two sites say you are "up to date" and PSI does not - which can happen - remembering also that PSI/MS requires a full rescan and a sometimes a full reboot and nothing in the error log to update ; PSi has been known to still show XP as insecure . IF after a couple more days the "insecure" status continues to show , you may need to contact Secunia at support@secunia.com .

Hope this is of some help .
Anthony

**It should offer to update before it runs ; you have the latest definition files .

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
JoSecunia RE: Windows XP
Member 20th Nov, 2009 15:52
User Since: 19th Nov 2009
My attempts to install Microsoft Update KB951847 --- a .Net framework 3.5 installation --- failed on several occasions. Microsoft provided uninstall/reinstall instructions. Has anyone experienced this failure and if so what did you do to corect it, e.g., employ the Microsoft uninstall/reinstall fix ( if so what problems, if any, did you experience)? Thanks.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th Nov, 2009 16:18
Last edited on 20th Nov, 2009 16:39

Try this thread :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/304...

EDIT : Hmm ! Looks like the answer there is to install your problem KB ??

You'll have to wait for Maurice Joyce for additional advice .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 21st Nov, 2009 05:29
Hi John;

I was talking to my friend Lloyd who uses Firefox exclusively. He says to just use the IE tab in Firefox to start MS Update and run, just as if you were in Internet Explorer. You would be protected because your using it from within Firefox.

Hi Anthony.

regards;
Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Nov, 2009 11:43
Last edited on 21st Nov, 2009 11:51
Hello Fred ,

Actually , I'm not sure your friend Lloyd has given you exact info ; IE running in Firefox using the "IE Tab" add-on uses the IE rendering thingy embedded in Ff (or some such technical part) and as such most IE potential vulnerabilities will still apply .

Personally , I consider this to be quite safe for the usual Windows/MS updates ; occassionaly I go to look for something specific at the MS Download Centre using Firefox or Chrome .

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 22nd Nov, 2009 03:57
Last edited on 22nd Nov, 2009 04:00
Hi John;

Anthnoy is correct in that you wouldn't be protected by using Firefox, from the MS Update site. However, Firefox is not as susceptible to incursions in general, so I suppose "safer" is a better word. The MS Udate site is "safe" as far as I can tell. I have never had any bad downloads from any MS site. One would hope that they would have the most secure sites on the web, since they (MS) have a great deal to loose.

regards;
Fred

p.s. Anthony, thanks for catching my misquote of Lloyd. The worm turns, ehh?

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+