Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Interface suggestion

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
jgt1942 Interface suggestion
Member 16th Nov, 2009 01:04
Ranking: 0
User Since: 15th Nov, 2009
System Score: N/A
I just downloaded, installed and ran the personal version. On the Insecure tab I see the version detected but there is nothing to tell me the current version or an icon I can click to to to the support website. I have a icon to download the latest version but I want to know the version being downloaded. I like to keep a source copy of all applications installed on my systems thus if a newer version is available I want to download it and store it in a folder reflecting the version being downloaded. By having the installation copy on my PC I can easily rebuild my system when necessary or when I get a new system I can quickly install all necessary applications.

I'd like to see two enhancements to the Insecure tab view (1) include the latest version and (2) a link to the support site.

thedillpickl RE: Interface suggestion
Contributor 16th Nov, 2009 01:35
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 16th Nov, 2009 01:40
Hi jgt1942;

As you may not be aware, Secunia isn't affiliated with the software vendors. Their purpose is to let you know that a critical program update or end of life notice has been released for certain software installed on your computer. The information you would like should be available from the software vendor in question.

If answers are not readily available through the vendor, posting a question like this one, should get you a speedy response. There are many people on this forum who would be very happy to share info and offer suggestions to problems.

regards & welcome;
Fred

p.s.; If you click on the [+] next to the program, the toolbox has alot of useful items to check out.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jgt1942 RE: Interface suggestion
Member 16th Nov, 2009 04:30
Score: 0
User Since: 15th Nov 2009
Possibly my lack of knowledge in using the program. Yes I had seen the "+" and had used it. If Secunia PSI is able to determine that there is a later version of an application how does it not know what version is available? Yes there is download icon but still I don't know what version is being downloaded and without going to the techincal details (this does not always identify the MFG) there is no easy way to go to the MFG site. When I mouse over the download icon I see the pop-up but I'm not able to copy the URL to the clipboard and then modify as necessary to get to the website and determine the version being downloaded.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Interface suggestion
Expert Contributor 16th Nov, 2009 15:21
Score: 2434
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 16th Nov, 2009 15:36
In the toolbox , the "download solution" link is for those who want a quick and easy answer to their problem ; even though some progammes are perhaps not best suited to the solution .

The "solution wizard" link may or may not give you other options which you may prefer (depends on the programme) .

The "online references" link offers links to places like the Secunia Advisories** or the programme supplier's website which could help you choose your download and method of installation .

The software and related sites of the likes of FileHippo and Update Notifier offer a range of possible updates.

PSI is a "security" checker highlighting vulnerabilities as a free programme and not an "update" checker - how you use the info is entirely up to you .

Hope this helps.

Take care
Anthony

**Advisories describe the vulnerability" and the "patch" available.

PS: You need to be using "advanced" mode to obtain the maximum of details.

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability