xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: XP Home insecure again or not?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

This thread has been marked as locked.
thedillpickl XP Home insecure again or not?
Contributor 16th Nov, 2009 01:12
Ranking: 376
User Since: 3rd May, 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 16th Nov, 2009 03:37

Greetings all;

Have been out of the loop for awhile (been experimenting with a different OS, no not Leopard). Been mostly doing maintainence & e-mails on Windows only.

Had a problem with updating XP as noted in another post about a month ago. Can't remember what fixed the problem now (getting too old, can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday either, ha), but it wasn't a tough nut.

Took my Acer with me today so as to get WiFi (dial-up @ home). Logged on network to get updates for Windows, Webroot (please don't bother, I've heard it, thank you), CCleaner, etc. In other words too much to do @ 5-6Kbps on both machines. Ran PSI and it says Win XP Home is insecure. I had just updated, but since on high speed, I ran update again, no new updates. Same response by PSI. Didn't have much time or battery to fool around, so now at home on the slowest modem link imaginable, I managed to get my HP to start PSI (PSI dosn't like dial-up) and did a scan, there was the Java update thing, however Win XP Pro shows secure.

Without doing any research, I was just wondering if anyone has run across this and has any info. I am somewhat concerned as we are talking about the OS. If you care to respond, I would appreciate any input. It takes forever to do anything but the basics with the connection I have and it will be later this week before I am able to get to a fast connection. I can do my e-mail & online banking on the HP machine, but prefer the Acer (for some reason it's faster on the internet).

Thanks in advance;
Fred

HP, Pavillion dv9000
XP Pro SP3

Acer, Aspire One
XP Home SP3

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis

Maurice Joyce RE: XP Home insecure again or not?
Handling Contributor 16th Nov, 2009 12:14
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
System Score: N/A
Oddly enough this vulnerability appeared on my PC on "Microsoft Patch Tuesday"

A complete install of all updates offered,a reboot & then a full PSI scan removed the issue.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: XP Home insecure again or not?
Contributor 18th Nov, 2009 02:41
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Hi Maurice;

Thanks for the quick response.

After fooling around with computers for awhile, I've gotten used to seeing "weird" stuff happen. This is one for the books. I don't know weither to report it to Secunia or not, as I didn't document anything. I didn't have time to!

Sunday,(I get a WiFi connection at church) I did alot of large updates. When running the PSI scan it reported XP Home to be insecure. I didn't read the Secunia advisory and didn't note the SA#. Instead I went again to MS Update incase there was more. Usually I don't have a problem with one update leading to another. I try to update my machines at least once a week. MS Update showed no updates, high priority or otherwise. I again ran a scan with the same result. With battery running low & services begining I stopped to conserve batt for a program that I use at church.

Tuesday, after work, I've decided to check this out. The Acer laptop booted as usual, the dial-up (sigh) connection went right through. After four attempts to load PSI (and two games of FreeCell) it came up & I ran a scan. XP Home is insecure. OK, I checked MS Update, no updates. This is the weird part. I opened the toolbox for XP Home & scanned just it. When the scan compleated, PSI's bubble on the taskbar reported that Driver Detective (a driver update utility) had been removed and that I had no insecure files. Quickly checking the patched file list, PSI still reported Driver Detective was there. I opened the program and it ran as expected. I would note that Driver Detective was one of those updated.

Well that's about all I have to report. No damage done, so just a bit of fluff to talk about. Still I would like to know if anyone else had a similar experiance lately.

regards;
Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl Oppsie
Contributor 18th Nov, 2009 02:41
Last edited on 18th Nov, 2009 02:53
Must have clicked the "send" button twice.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
JoSecunia RE: XP Home insecure again or not?
Member 20th Nov, 2009 15:48
Score: 0
User Since: 19th Nov 2009
My attempt to install Microsoft Update KB951847 --- a .Net framework 3.5 installation --- failed on several occasions and Microsoft provided uninstall/reinstall instructions. Has anyone experienced this failure and if so what was done to correct it, e.g., was the Microsoft uninstll/reinstall procedure followed and did it work without a hitch (if not please describe hitch(s) ). Thanks.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: XP Home insecure again or not?
Contributor 21st Nov, 2009 04:50
Hi JoSecunia;

I'm not sure what the problem with your update is, sorry.

If you would like to get an answer quicker I would advise you try this: In the Forum tab, click on Create New Thread. If not already logged in, you will be prompted to do so. In the topic header box, use something helpful such as "can not update KB#####", where ##### is an actual number. Followed by a detailed description of your problem in the content box.

good luck;
Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
skia7 RE: XP Home insecure again or not?
Member 22nd Dec, 2009 11:43
User Since: 2nd Sep 2009
hi i do regular scans wi three tools. i have ccleaner and secunia. on secunia it always says ie8 is insecure. open prgrmmes r like that. on my pc media plyr 11 windows xp (?) ie8 All Adobe and various mcrsft componets are ALL listed as a category 3 -4 threat for Hackers.
What do I do. Delete everything? :-)
I find some Flash prgrmmes and email requests do not work without ie8.
Ok i use Opera and leave ie8 unused. the main thing i think is to have compatible anit virus firewall for your system and dont be too paranoid over secunia results. i had sleepless nights until i realised Hackers are always busy how i secure my system is most important.
Take it easy.
richard
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: XP Home insecure again or not?
Member 22nd Dec, 2009 12:15
Last edited on 22nd Dec, 2009 12:25 Hi,
When the PSI marks a piece of software as insecure, you can always access our advisories on the particular security issue, once you enable the advanced interface. To enable the advanced interface, left-click "Advanced" in the top right corner, and accept. You can now access advisory information from the "Insecure" tab, by expanding the entry (Click the + button) and then clicking "online references" and selecting the current secunia advisory.

Normally, when software gets tagged as insecure, you can click the download solution button to instantly get the newest version of the software, and solve the problem. I suggest you do this for all software tagged as insecure, as keeping software up to date is the most vital of all security tasks.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
whaler RE: XP Home insecure again or not?
Member 23rd Dec, 2009 07:19
User Since: 25th May 2009
I did have a similar problem which I posted. The thread is called XP Home edition and IE8. Secure or insecure? I was getting the same warning from Secunia and the link showed no updates were available. Less than 24 hours later I still had 2 warnings but they were now for flash player. There was never anything wrong with XP home ed. I'm at a loss as to why Secunia found vulnerabilities but named them incorrectly. As I stated in a reply to my own thread, They're only humans running Secunia and we all make mistakes. I don't know if you've updated flash player but it's worth a try. Don't forget that you must manually uninstall the previous .ocx files or updating it won't help.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+