Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI crashes when I undock my ThinkPad

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Zian PSI crashes when I undock my ThinkPad
Member 20th Nov, 2009 08:41
Ranking: 0
User Since: 20th Dec, 2007
System Score: 99%
Whenever I undock from my ThinkPad's dock, PSI crashes.

My ThinkPad is a T400 running Windows Vista. The dock is attached to 2 screens (DVI & VGA), headphones, a keyboard, a mouse, a USB hub (built into the DVI screen), and the electrical outlet.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of the crashes?

thedillpickl RE: PSI crashes when I undock my ThinkPad
Contributor 21st Nov, 2009 07:13
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 21st Nov, 2009 07:15
Hi Zian;

I know this is a dumb question but, how does you computer connect to the internet (e.g. WiFi router, Ethernet, dial-up)? If a wired connection, is it hooked to the docking port or directly to the computer?

regards;
Fred

p.s. Yes I know, that was actually two dumb questions.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Zian RE: PSI crashes when I undock my ThinkPad
Member 23rd Nov, 2009 00:59
Score: 0
User Since: 20th Dec 2007
I use a WiFi (802.11g) connection.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 23rd Nov, 2009 01:32
Zian;

Most laptops have the WiFi card built into them, so unless you know it's in the docking port, PSI's not going down because you've lost your internet connection. However, if PSI is installed on a hard drive in the docking port, you could lose PSI when you remove your computer.

With PSI running, click on the secure programs tab. Find Secunia PSI and click on the [+] to the left of it. Select the file path tool. Does the tool report it is on drive C:? If not please tell us the file path.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Nov, 2009 01:40
C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\psi.exe
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 23rd Nov, 2009 02:58
Last edited on 23rd Nov, 2009 03:00
Zian;

If it makes you feel any better, you've got a dandy of a problem.

As I understand it, you don't loose your WiFi connection because it's built into the laptop. Unless your system is different than everyone elses, PSI is installed on the boot drive in the laptop.

At least this is not a huge problem as I assume you have no insecure or EOL programs to deal with. However, I'm sure it is annoying & troubling.

Please allow me time to consider the situation, Monday thru Wednesday are busy days at my job. Also, maybe someone on the forum will jump in with an answer that's not obvious to me.

regards;
Fred

p.s. Do any other programs crash when you undock?

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Nov, 2009 05:33
>If it makes you feel any better, you've got a dandy of a problem.

:)

I have 2 insecure programs (Cisco VPN with no hope of getting a new version soon and XAMPP with an insecure Apache server that I rarely use).

On another note, Cisco VPN tends to drop the connection whenever I undock.

I am beginning to suspect that something like this is going on:
1. I undock.
2. The laptop rejuggles all the network connections due to the loss of the dock's Ethernet port.
3. Cisco VPN and Secunia PSI try to talk to the WiFi adapter using information that they obtained prior to step 2.
4. Cisco VPN drops the connection and Secunia PSI crashes and burns.

If this is the case, a possible solution would be for Secunia PSI to close network connections after it finishes using the Internet and to open Internet connections on-demand.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 24th Nov, 2009 04:43
Last edited on 17th Dec, 2009 01:36
Zian;

First off, let me say >>>WOW<<<!

Your response has opened up one big can of fat worms. When I originally asked how you connected to the internet, I was hoping your problem was because it was through the docking port & you simply lost the connection when undocked. As it turns out, that is most likely the case, as you now post that your dock has an ethernet connection. When docked, your ThinkPad would normally go to the fastest connection. When you undock, for a moment, the connection is lost as the machine switchs to WiFi. Im not sure how long it takes for PSI to notice the connection is lost before you have to reload the interface. You might e-mail Secunia about that.

Is your VPN to a network on a remote server? If so, is it a live connection always? Is the Apache server local or thru the VPN? Does the Apache server support a live web site or is it a testbed. Are you networked to the Apache server always, even though you rarely access it, or is it offline/stand alone? If the answer is yes to the connection/networked questions it is likely PSI is looking at a drive slice on a server that shows up on your system as a virtual drive. As far as PSI is concerned it's part of your system. So when you loose your VPN/Apache connection it's like you unpluged a drive.

Do you have access to an IT tech at the home office that can advise you? I do not believe what you are doing is wrong/harmful. It may be unnecessary (to use PSI) if your ThinkPad is a remote terminal to a corporate server and your programs are maintained from that server. They may even be running CSI (the server version of PSI) at their location.

To answer the original question: If PSI goes down when switching between ethernet & WiFi (or vis v.) you'll have to live with reloading the interface each time.

Fred

p.s. Cisco VPN is pay for use so you/the company would have to pay for a new version. XAMPP is a free web server package that you/the company should be able to update to a secure version.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Dec, 2009 15:13
For some unknown reason, Secunia has stopped crashing.

To wrap things up...
I'm not always running the VPN while Secunia crashes.

Thanks for the pointer on the VPN software. I guess my university simply hasn't paid for the latest version.

I'm a student so I maintain my own laptop. It appears that XAMPP hasn't made a new package with the latest version of Apache in it. Fortunately, I only run XAMPP for development purposes so Apache is rarely running.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 17th Dec, 2009 01:46
Hi Zian;

Well I suppose a problem solved is a problem solved. If you start having the same thing happen please start a new thread as I will unsubscribe to this one.

I would not be overly concerned about the VPN, the vulnerability is more of a problem for the university. For saftys sake don't put any sensitive personal info on the thinkpad & back up any important files to a external hard drive.

XAMPP shouldn't be a big deal either, unless you plan on using it live on the internet.

regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+