Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Secunia difficult for me to use

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
OSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
cadence yedmore Secunia difficult for me to use
Member 21st Nov, 2009 16:36
Ranking: -8
User Since: 2nd Oct, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 21st Nov, 2009 16:37

I tried to use Secunia but apparently I don't know what I'm doing. I'll update a program or utility that it recommends yet the next day its back again telling me my program/utility is out-of-date, old, or whatever and I need to update it, delete it or whatever. The name of the program/utility in Secunia will be different than what is listed in my uninstall file where they populate, so I don't know what to uninstall. One person mentioned something about programs/utilities being in two or more places and you need to go here and go there and do this and that to deal with it. When I read that I then realized how ignorant I am. There's more to it than simply updating or uninstalling Secunia's recommendations.
My goal is to become an expert at using Secunia. I think it's a vital tool to have.

Anthony Wells RE: Secunia difficult for me to use
Expert Contributor 21st Nov, 2009 17:11
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello Cadence ,

As you are new to PSI , here are some tips for using PSI "advanced" mode :-

To help resolve your problem , here are some instructions to help you first of all get the best out of PSI :-

1)use PSI in "advanced" mode ;
2)in the "settings" tab make sure that the box in the first/upper section is NOT ticked in order to have the maximum info available ;
3)tell us in which "tab(s)" your problem programme is located ;
4)in that tab , click on the + in the box at the left end of the programme , the page will expand ;
5)in the expanded page , tell us what is written in the "installation path" ;
6)in the "toolbox" section , lower down , the link "technical details" should confirm the installation path details ;
7)click on the link "open folder" and you will see more details concerning the location of the "problem" .

Posting these details will help the Forum help you , if/when you have a problem .

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Secunia difficult for me to use
Contributor 22nd Nov, 2009 05:13
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi cadence;

You are correct about Secunia PSI. I am not aware of a better way to keep your computer running right. Other maintenance items are important, but having up-to-date programs is vital.

Anthony is correct to say that information is important. Just take a breath or two and, one step at a time, your problems will be resolved by someone who has already been there.

First, to be sure PSI is in advanced mode: In the upper right corner of the PSI window, simple should be the color blue & advanced should be black. If the colors are reversed, click on advanced.

Next, click on the insecure tab, it is along the top & if any are, insecure will be red in color.

This will produce a list of insecure programs. If there are several let us start with the first one or two. As Anthony said, click on the [+] next to the program you wish to inspect. Now you can find the suggested link to fix the problem or more information, such as the file path, for the program in question.

This is alot of stuff to take in all at once, so poke around in PSI and get comfortable using it. When you are ready, contact us here and we will get started.

best wishs;
Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
cadence yedmore RE: Secunia difficult for me to use
Member 22nd Nov, 2009 07:58
Score: -8
User Since: 2nd Oct 2009
Thanks Fred for your help. I have a specific problem with Yahoo Toolbar 6.x.
Secunia says I should uninstall it, but from where? The Control Panel only has "Yahoo! Browser Services", "Yahoo! Search Protection", and "Yahoo! Software Update". Does any one of these need to go, or do I have to deal with the Toolbar in my Browser? And which Browser, all of them?
I'm really confused.
Thanks again,
Cadence
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 23rd Nov, 2009 02:32
Hi cadence;

Do you use the Yahoo toolbar? If so, open PSI and click on the "insecure programs" tab at the top. Find the Yahoo line and click on the [+] to the left of it. I believe the first icon is the "suggested update" icon, if it is not grey in color, click on it. I do not know if Yahoo will allow this (I'm unfamilar with Yahoo's update procedures). If not we have more work to do. But, if that works you have solved your insecurity.

If you do not use the Yahoo toolbar, I'll need more info:
1. What version of Windows do you use?
2. What browsers do you use? (You mentioned you have several.)
3. What is the file path to the Yahoo toolbar?

To find the file path, open the tool box in PSI as above, if it's not still open. Click on the "file path" icon. That will tell us where the insecure program is in your computer.

Please do not become frustrated if this is confusing. Just take it one step at a time. If you do not understand something, simply ask and I or someone else on the forum will answer your question. No one will think less of you because of it. We all had to start somewhere. Also, let us know if we talk past your experiance level. We forget sometimes!

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
MaritimeRider RE: Secunia difficult for me to use
Member 23rd Nov, 2009 04:35
Score: 22
User Since: 15th Mar 2009
One thing you will learn in any forum is that the source of info is as important as the info itself. Anthony has supplied all the info for you to get comfortable with using this software. When the pronoun "we" is used it can give a false impression. Maurice Joyce is a monitor of the forum and you will see his credentials posted next to his name. Any user is more than willing to help but at times enthusiam gets carried away. As a new user of the site you will not recognize regular user postings. Be assured, it will not take you long
Enjoy the program, use the forum and safe surfing. It is a rarity,if nil, when secunia posts her results and she is wrong. Enough said on this thread for me.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
cadence yedmore RE: Secunia difficult for me to use
Member 23rd Nov, 2009 04:51
Score: -8
User Since: 2nd Oct 2009
Hey Fred,
Thank you for your help.
The Download Solution Icon is grayed out. Here's the path to the Toolbar: c:\Program Files\Yahoo\Companion\installs\cpn\yt.dll. FYI - There's also three more folder called cpn0, cpn1, & cpn2 in the Install folder. I wonder if I could just delete the installs folder and be done with them, but I'll wait for your instructions.
As far as browsers go, here's the rub. I use Firefox, my wife likes IE, and my daughter likes the Opera Browser. Is the Yahoo Toolbar simply an add-on that I can disable or delete from within the Browser, and can the Yahoo Toolbar be an add-on in multiple browsers?
Also, I'm using Vista Premium.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Nov, 2009 11:42
Last edited on 23rd Nov, 2009 11:50
Hello Cadence ,

I noticed that you are asking about the Yahoo Toolbar on two different threads . Nothing wrong with that , but different versions of "correct" advice may confuse you and also cconfuse those advising you .

Here on this thread , people are helping you start/improve your use of PSI for updating ; you rightly posted to a/the specific Yahoo thread , where people who have experience of Yahoo are more likely to post .

In the future , if you can't find a relatd thread , then start your own like you did with this one .

I would suggest that , whichever thread you continue with , as a first step you try the wndows clean up tool that Maurice Joyce has suggested on your other thread ; here's the link in case you missed it :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/106...

After that , if it works , you should be able to reload Yahoo as you wish .

Let us know how you get on .

Take care
Anthony

PS : "Normally" you should be able to load the toolbar to each browser separately , but these days they get a bit pushy and the "default" option is you get what the programme maker wants and not what you want ;:(( the key is to opt out as you run the download(s):))

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 24th Nov, 2009 03:09
Last edited on 24th Nov, 2009 06:36
Hi Cadence;

I'm glad to hear you've posted to a thread about the Yahoo toolbar problem, good job. Not that "we" (in this case I refer to you & me) couldn't have disscussed it further here (it's your thread after all), I was at the limit of my ability to give an intelligent answer. It is good practice to stay on topic. To that end, the topic is Secunia difficult for me to use. This struck a nerve in me, as I have been left high & dry by other forums on different web sites (this forum is great BTW). I feel compelled to stay with you so long as you feel I'm of benifit to you (but not to turn this into a marathon).

Anthony (hi Anthony) is correct in pointing out that a quicker, more knoledgable, discussion will naturally occur if you start a thread on a specific topic. He's very intuitive about when to interject a post like that. I, on the other hand, am more apt to chase after rabbit every which direction. That' why it's important to have so many different types of knowledge base, personality types and temperaments in a disscusion like this thread. That is the collective "we" I alluded to in my previous post. As MaritimeRider was able to point out, "we" (those who submit posts to this forum) are not a group somewhere, nor are we associated in any way other than our desire to help each other. Also, I believe everyone would agree: If Maurice Joyce has something to say, it would be in your best interest to at least check it out. He's not infallable, but I've never know or heard of him to be out right wrong.

So, all that being said, is there another problem that the collective "we" can help you with. It dosn't have to be a specific problem, "we" just want you to be able to use PSI with a certain comfort, knowing that you will have a more secure system, plus better all of "us" for it. As mentioned earlier, I would be most pleased to stick with you until such time as you feel comfortable to take off the training wheels.

best regards;
Fred

p.s. As some might like to point out, I'm being quite verbose. If fully expanding my thought helps you, I shall continue. If it is unnecessary or annoying let me know and I'll condense when possible.

p.p.s. Don't even start, that was for Cadence.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 24th Nov, 2009 18:15

P.P.S. = spoilsport

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+