Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Windows 7 100% Secure

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
bugoutmachine Windows 7 100% Secure
Member 22nd Nov, 2009 21:47
Ranking: 0
User Since: 22nd Nov, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 22nd Nov, 2009 21:48

I ran my very first scan today after running Windows 7 Ultimate RTM since launch day and discovered I am 100% patched. How have other folks been since installing the new OS?

I ran Secunia PSI on the same system when running Vista Ultimate and always had problems with Adobe and Java related patches. This time around I have not had to do anything special.

My primary browser is Firefox. Secondary is Chrome. So this IE 8 vulnerability doesn't bother me a bit as it's not only not my primary browser and I actually completely disabled it via the registry so it poses zero threat.

I'm located in Central New Jersey, USA and have only had a rating of 100% secure. Anyone else relate?

jayaugust RE: Windows 7 100% Secure
Member 22nd Nov, 2009 22:00
Score: 0
User Since: 22nd Nov 2009
Same here, my Win 7 is 100% secure :)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
goyta RE: Windows 7 100% Secure
Member 24th Nov, 2009 06:57
User Since: 10th Jun 2009
Last edited on 24th Nov, 2009 07:07
Be careful, @bugoutmachine! Even if you don't use IE8 as a browser (and sometimes you have to), there are LOTS of applications, both from Microsoft and third parties, that use IE components "in disguise." This includes ALL versions of Outlook/Windows Mail, Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, Nero and many others.

If you use any version of Windows later than Windows 95, you are running IE whether you want it or not, and whether you know it or not. This is exactly the problem with IE: it's so intimately linked to the Windows kernel that you can't separate them, so IE is a perpetually open door for malware to take over your system, and a door that will never be able to be completely closed.

So, you'd better keep IE up-to-date, regardless of whether you use the browser itself or not.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Windows 7 100% Secure
Member 24th Nov, 2009 17:57
on 24th Nov, 2009 06:57, goyta wrote:
Be careful, @bugoutmachine! Even if you don't use IE8 as a browser (and sometimes you have to), there are LOTS of applications, both from Microsoft and third parties, that use IE components "in disguise." This includes ALL versions of Outlook/Windows Mail, Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, Nero and many others.

If you use any version of Windows later than Windows 95, you are running IE whether you want it or not, and whether you know it or not. This is exactly the problem with IE: it's so intimately linked to the Windows kernel that you can't separate them, so IE is a perpetually open door for malware to take over your system, and a door that will never be able to be completely closed.

So, you'd better keep IE up-to-date, regardless of whether you use the browser itself or not.

Is it not possible to uninstall IE from Win7?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
goyta RE: Windows 7 100% Secure
Member 24th Nov, 2009 18:32
User Since: 10th Jun 2009
on 24th Nov, 2009 17:57, wrote:
Is it not possible to uninstall IE from Win7?

Not from any version of Windows since Windows 98. IE is an integral part of Windows. It is used by the desktop, by several parts of the Windows kernel invoked by lots of applications, and even used directly by many others, as I wrote above.

There was talk of Microsoft releasing a version of Windows 7 without the browser part of IE to satisfy the EU, but that plan was shelved, and you would only not have a Web browser out of the box. The visible browser is just a fraction of IE, and it would still be there, otherwise Windows would not be Windows.

There are utilities that remove parts of IE, and you can also use nLite to generate a stripped-down install CD of Windows 2000 or XP without the visible part of IE, but I don't know of any such technique for Windows 7 yet. Anyway, it's not recommended - the system would hardly work at all as you know it, and would likely be very unstable.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Nov, 2009 18:43
Hi All.
I am sure that IE should stay on all systems because if there is an
update for the windows itself you have to download it throught IE.
That's why you should not remove any part of IE.
Stay safe.
John
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Nov, 2009 18:44
Hi All.
I am sure that IE should stay on all systems because if there is an
update for the windows itself you have to download it throught IE.
That's why you should not remove any part of IE.
Stay safe.
John
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Windows 7 100% Secure
Contributor 25th Nov, 2009 03:28
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi all;

Once again I find it hard to keep my mouth shut. I still run XP, but since other posts mention even older versions, here goes.

Picture, if you will, the most secure bank vault in all of Switzerland. Now picture a doggie door that your pouch goes in and out of at will. Now picture that doggie door on the backside of the vault. Can anyone say BACK DOOR?

Let's face it MS dosn't trust anyone. So the want to check you out every chance they get. Why do you think it takes longer to start MS Updates than to download the actual update (usually, some are huge). Watch your hard drive light. MS scans your system for illegitimate software.

I don't care what they want to look at on my systems, I've got nothing to hide. It's the fact that bad people find these back doors, that's the deal. MS software is some of the highest priced out there & we have to pay extra for secrity software (I don't trust Defender BTW) to hide/guard MS's doggie door!

Sorry, I'm done;
Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Zorrath RE: Windows 7 100% Secure
Member 27th Nov, 2009 03:06
User Since: 27th Nov 2009
I'm on windows 7 and I think I have uninstalled most of IE8 go to programs and features then on far left side to turn windows features on or off and uncheck Internet Explorer 8, oh and be sure to have a browser installed since you wont be able to get on the internet in order to download one.

Unless of course you go back in and check IE8 again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
undelay RE: Windows 7 100% Secure
Member 27th Nov, 2009 03:12
User Since: 26th Nov 2009
on 22nd Nov, 2009 21:47, bugoutmachine wrote:

I ran Secunia PSI on the same system when running Vista Ultimate and always had problems with Adobe and Java related patches. This time around I have not had to do anything special.

Your issues apparently revolve around programs that are not made by Microsoft when you speak of Vista. I'm wondering why you confuse the two.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+