Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI 1.5.0.1 freezes on Windows 7

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
goyta PSI 1.5.0.1 freezes on Windows 7
Member 24th Nov, 2009 08:13
Ranking: 0
User Since: 10th Jun, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 24th Nov, 2009 10:34

Last week installed Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit) on my PC. I have all available Microsoft Updates, and have installed security software and the latest versions I could get of everything I use. Yet only Secunia PSI really ensures that my system is and will remain as secure as possible, so I eagerly downloaded and installed the latest version (1.5.0.1). Secunia's Web site says it is compatible with Windows 7.

However, when I try to run it, it freezes ("Not responding," whitened window, whirling green cursor) forever. It starts OK, scans the system, but when I try to see the results or switch to Advanced mode it freezes. It was both installed and run from an administrative account.

When it freezes, I have to open Task Manager to terminate PSI's process. This is the only way to stop it, since the whole window becomes unresponsive and trying to close it via the taskbar also doesn't work. Task Manager shows that PSI is consuming 95-99% of CPU resources, and about 180 MB RAM (a bit too much for such a small program, I suppose).

I have tried to set psi.exe to explicitly run with administrative privileges, have tried to set it for Vista and XP compatibility, to no avail - it always freezes. I ran Windows 7's compatibility troubleshooting wizard, and at first it set PSI to run in Windows XP compatibility mode - which I had already tried. When I made it check for compatibility on-line, the verdict from Microsoft was that PSI is incompatible with Windows 7.

Anyone having the same problem? Any solution or workaround? Or is PSI really incompatible with Windows 7, contrary to what Secunia says? I am well aware that all security experts today say that having a 100% patched system is even more important than having an antivirus program, and to ensure that, there is no real alternative to Secunia PSI. I really would like to have it working!

In the meantime, I am running OSI as the next-best thing. I enabled thorough checking and it is taking HOURS to complete (not only because the scan is really slow, but also because I noticed that it checks the files under C:\ProgramData and C:\Users a second time when it encounters the Documents and Settings symbolic junction, and recurses Application Data as well - something that Secunia should correct for the next version).

Thank you very much.

Anthony Wells RE: PSI 1.5.0.1 freezes on Windows 7
Expert Contributor 25th Nov, 2009 17:12
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 25th Nov, 2009 17:28
Hello goyta ,

I guess no response because no one knows enough about 7 , as yet .

In the past the correct setting of IE was often a problem in similar cases ; the latest version of the set up appears in Maurice Joyce's post to this thread :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/306...

I seem to remember that the "exact" order of events is critical .

You mention on another thread that your IE Tab is/was not working "here" (??) , perhaps there is a connection ??

If memory serves , even if you have Firefox as your default , PSI may well choose to use another browser.

If this is no help , you may need to have a word with Secunia direct at support@secunia.com

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
goyta RE: PSI 1.5.0.1 freezes on Windows 7
Member 27th Nov, 2009 11:41
Score: 0
User Since: 10th Jun 2009
Last edited on 27th Nov, 2009 11:45
I tried Maurice's configuration, even though I was skeptical of it, because PSI does access the Internet (it starts by checking network connectivity and it passes the test), and does scan the system. It usually hangs at the end of the scan, but it once showed me the results and froze when I tried to go to Advanced mode to analyse them better.

As I expected, nothing changed. I put Secunia on the list of trusted sites in IE in both SSL and plain HTTP modes, uninstalled PSI with Revo Uninstaller, reinstalled it again, checked that it was set as "Trusted" so Kaspersky wouldn't interfere, set it to always run with administrative rights, ran it from an administrative account... It still froze, went to consume almost 100% of CPU time and I had to terminate the process on Task Manager. And that on-line (OSI) scan I tried to run had to be aborted as frozen after a few hours running, too... :-(

Oh well, I suppose I must wait for a Windows 7-compatible version... At least I still have Kaspersky Internet Security, whose "vulnerability scan" is a licensed form of Secunia PSI, but with much less flexibility than the real thing.

Thanks anyway for your reply, Anthony!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: PSI 1.5.0.1 freezes on Windows 7
Expert Contributor 27th Nov, 2009 12:17
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

I recall some posters having "similar" unresolved problems on other OS's. If no one else can help here , then maybe Secunia at suport@secunia.com have an idea/suggestion.

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability