Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Help! Secunia will not run

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
lifeonmars Help! Secunia will not run
Member 27th Nov, 2009 16:47
Ranking: 0
User Since: 27th Nov, 2009
System Score: N/A
Hi guys,

Have Secunia PSI installed on my LT running XP SP3. My problem is that it will no longer run at startup or when promted to do so from the start menu. I get a dialogue box that states:

An error has occured while verifying the Security Certificate. The Secunia PSI cannot continue execution.

Can anbyody help?

undelay RE: Help! Secunia will not run
Member 27th Nov, 2009 16:59
Score: 0
User Since: 26th Nov 2009
Open, using Windows Explorer, \Program Files\Secunia\ and right click the PSI executable. Ensure that the Digital Signature has a status of OK which you will see right when you open this dialog.

You may also re-download the program and install it again.

If these things fail, go download Dependency Walker from http://www.dependencywalker.com/ and find out which processes are being utilized when you attempt to load the program. Secunia would probably be interested in knowing if malware is targeting their PSI application.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
undelay RE: Help! Secunia will not run
Member 27th Nov, 2009 18:07
User Since: 26th Nov 2009
After looking myself, I found out that there is no place where it would state in the file properties whether the Digital Certificate is still intact, nor any status of whether it is OK or not.

My recommendation is to download and re-install the program. If that fails, do an online security scan for viruses and other malicious programs.

Also, ensure two things -
First, that you are not running your computer with an administrator account for daily use.
Second, that you have some kind of antivirus program installed and regularly updated.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
lifeonmars RE: Help! Secunia will not run
Member 27th Nov, 2009 18:36
User Since: 27th Nov 2009
Thanks for your suggestions undelay, I have Avira Antivir and MBAM installed and am currently scanning my system.

I think I will be going down the uninstall 'road' with Revo and then a fresh install. Ah, the joys of computing!!

Will let you know how it goes and once again thanks for your input.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Nov, 2009 19:41
Hi undelay,

Have reinstalled Secunia but get a dialogue box that states:

Unable to retreive PSI user ID from Secunia.
Please verify that you can connect to secunia .com and then restart PSI

Full scan with MBAM showed no malware and everything else is running fine.
I also defined Secunia as a trusted application in my firewall which is Comodo. I assume the software connects to the internet using IE8 which is managing to update my other security software without a hitch.

Any thoughts before I ditch PSI for good?

Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: Help! Secunia will not run
Contributor 27th Nov, 2009 21:20
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
System Score: 100%
1.Secunia PSI needs to be able to connect to Secunia servers to complete its scanning. However, if you have not configured
the security settings of Internet Explorer, the Secunia PSI may be prevented from getting the scan results. To receive
your scan results, you need to do some changes to your Internet options.
To do this:
a. Open Internet Explorer.
b. Go to Tools>Internet Options>Security tab.
c. Select the Internet zone and click on the Custom Level button.
d. In Security Settings, go to the Scripting>Active Scripting option.
e. Make sure that Active Scripting is Enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
f. Press OK then Yes.
g. Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted sites zone and click on the Sites button.
h. Look at the bottom of the page and take the tick from the box marked"Require server verification(HTTPS)for all site zones" then type in the following and press the Add button to add them to the Trusted Zone Sites list:
http://*.secunia.com
https://*.secunia.com
i. Press Close
j. Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results
If using a browser other than IE open Control Panel>Internet Options then follow c. thru

regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Help! Secunia will not run
Contributor 29th Nov, 2009 03:58
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Yep.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
in2golf RE: Help! Secunia will not run
Member 5th Dec, 2009 04:47
User Since: 5th Dec 2009
I am on Win 7 64 bit. Both PSI and Apple iTunes could not make a secure connection although I was able to securely connect to online banking, etc. I tried ten different settings I read about in various posts under "Secure Connection" including the links and suggestions above in your post. Nothing worked.

What finally worked for me was going into Control Panel, then selecting Internet Properties, then going to the Advanced tab, and then scrolling down to the Security section and unchecking "Check for server certificate revocation*" Note that I undid trusted sites (e.g. no trusted sites needed) and undid all the special Norton IS 2009 firewall settings and everything still worked. This seemed to all start with the updates on PSI 1.5 but I can't be sure as I recently upgraded to Win 7 Premium Home 64 from Vista Ultimate 32.

Hope it works for you.

Good luck.

--
Dell XPS420 with 64 bit Win 7
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Jan, 2010 16:54
Many thanks to everyone for all your constructive comments and suggestions and apologies for not replying sooner!!

PSI is now running fine on both my LT and DT; as I seem to recall one day it didn't work and then several weeks later it decided to start working and (touch wood) it is still working as I write!!!!

Like all software, when it works it's fine but when it doesn't it quickly becomes a real pain.

Once again, thanks for all our input. ;-)
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer