xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: when I close down Secunia - the window closes but the task bar in...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Lassie Lamb Chop when I close down Secunia - the window closes but the task bar indication window stays.
Member 28th Nov, 2009 06:57
Ranking: -5
User Since: 28th Nov, 2009
System Score: N/A
Just cannot close it down without exiting the program. this has happened always and is annoying.

the message Secunia is still running shows up.
Try close on the task bar window icon - nothing.
Now exit the programs and it stays still.

Is there a fix?

running XP Home SP 3

--
I run XP home SP3 Intel Pentium dual CPU E2160 @1.8hz 1GB RAM
Avast, SAS pro. Spyware Blaster WinPatrolPlus and Online Armour.

thedillpickl RE: when I close down Secunia - the window closes but the task bar indication window stays.
Contributor 29th Nov, 2009 03:02
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi Lassie Lamb Chop;

You said "Just cannot close it down without exiting the program", of course you must exit the program to close it completely. Generally, you want PSI running in the back ground to monitor changes to your system. To close the PSI window & remove it from your desktop, yet leave PSI running in the back ground, click on the X in the top right corner. To exit you would have to shut PSI down, right click on the task bar icon, the click on the word Exit that is in the little window that just opened.

Please post back here if that dosn't solve your problem.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Lassie Lamb Chop RE: when I close down Secunia - the window closes but the task bar indication window stays.
Member 29th Nov, 2009 03:59
Score: -5
User Since: 28th Nov 2009
Em - yes I do know how to close Secunia or any program by clicking onto the x in the right hand corner. :)

now it just does not shut off the indication window and if i click onto close or even maximse nothing happens. Never has even in the beta version.

To get rid of it I have to exit Secunia - then click yes I want to close it down on the pop up which warns it will no longer monitor etc and then after the other annoying bit goes - go to programs and start Secunia again.

Now this is not a really good way for it to operate. Is It?

I have tried in the past exiting uninstalling going to programs files and trying to make sure all is gone forever and ever amen and then downloading a new version - clean - and installing it and never has worked.

I do above every time I have problems. Just to make sure start with a clean version and oh and yes I scan it before opening with Avast - SAS and MAM - every program I download.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: when I close down Secunia - the window closes but the task bar indication window stays.
Expert Contributor 29th Nov, 2009 07:03
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
on 29th Nov, 2009 03:59, Lassie Lamb Chop wrote:
Em - yes I do know how to close Secunia or any program by clicking onto the x in the right hand corner. :)

now it just does not shut off the indication window and if i click onto close or even maximse nothing happens. Never has even in the beta version.

To get rid of it I have to exit Secunia - then click yes I want to close it down on the pop up which warns it will no longer monitor etc and then after the other annoying bit goes - go to programs and start Secunia again.

Now this is not a really good way for it to operate. Is It?

I have tried in the past exiting uninstalling going to programs files and trying to make sure all is gone forever and ever amen and then downloading a new version - clean - and installing it and never has worked.

I do above every time I have problems. Just to make sure start with a clean version and oh and yes I scan it before opening with Avast - SAS and MAM - every program I download.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Lassie Lamb Chop RE: when I close down Secunia - the window closes but the task bar indication window stays.
Member 29th Nov, 2009 07:10
Last edited on 29th Nov, 2009 07:11
on 29th Nov, 2009 07:03, mogs wrote:

and your point is?

You see all I got was my post and nothing you said if you said anything that is and wasnt just being a leftie.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: when I close down Secunia - the window closes but the task bar indication window stays.
Expert Contributor 29th Nov, 2009 07:16
Hello! Just a quickie.....I'm probably being overly simplistic; but I can assume you've got the boxes ticked in the psi settings ?
Enable Secunia on boot, and Enable prog. monitoring ?
What browser are you using by the way ? What is your default ?
Do you use CCleaner ? Is Secunia enabled or disabled in Start-up progs in that app. if you have it?
Have you run CHKDSK recently to check for errors and consistency ?
Do you have access to Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool ?
Secunia's behaviour may be symptomatic of conflicts somewhere ?
Just a few suggestions that may be worth looking at.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Nov, 2009 07:57
1. Secunia is ticked to start at boot and monitor.
2. use Firefox 3.5.5. as default and with IE Tabs.
Try never to use IE8 and have no other browsers MSN disabled
3. Yep use Ccleaner as posted in every post to date I think!
4. Ran CHKDSK recently.
5. Yep ran window diagnostic tool to check connection both before and after repair.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 29th Nov, 2009 09:50
Just read some more from your other thread :you don't always make easy reading. You've done lots of installs/uninstalls: is CCleaner your only reg scanner/cleaner ? I use Auslogics Reg Scan(free)....it's a lot more thorough, without being unsafe. It's surprising how many registry problems can be fixed in a day.
I don't know anything about Firefox: don't use IE8 much either...tho' of course, it's configured, where necessary, for Secunia, tho' it's not my default browser.
I know it may seem unrelated to your problems....but do you do much defragmenting....as tidy as is possible has got to help ?
I've got a prog that defrags whenever the screen is idle.....could be half a dozen times a day....also free. It doesn't do any more on a Sunday !!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: when I close down Secunia - the window closes but the task bar indication window stays.
Contributor 29th Nov, 2009 19:06
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Hi Lassie Lamb Chop;

In your response to my first post you said, "yes I do know how to close Secunia ... by clicking onto the x". Of course you realize that action will not shut down all programs, some (like PSI) continue to run in the back ground.

You also said, "now it just does not shut off the indication window", by indication window do you mean the Secunia icon (three red arcs) in the taskbar? You went on to say, "and if i click onto close or even maximse nothing happens". Are you right clicking on the icon in the taskbar and then, in the little window that just opened, clicking on Open Secunia PSI or Exit? You are not clear about what you wish to do.

Then you stated, "To get rid of it I have to exit Secunia ... the pop up which warns it will no longer monitor ... go to programs and start Secunia again". Why are you wanting to exit PSI just to start it again. Why not just leave it run in the back ground to monitor your system, the way it is meant to do? That is an ideal way for PSI to operate, because you don't have to do anything until PSI detects a problem. Do you shut off your antivirus/firewall software and then restart it for no reason. Do you close your internet connection only to restart it? This makes no sense to me.

One last thing and then I'll let you get back to your busy thread. You can uninstall and reinstall the program all you want. It won't fix the problem because none exists!

good luck;
Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: when I close down Secunia - the window closes but the task bar indication window stays.
Expert Contributor 29th Nov, 2009 21:39
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello Lassie Lamb Chop ,

Does the PSI scanner "window" itself disappear when you click on the x (top right) ??

Is the indication window you refer to in fact the "task bar button" - a block in the middle part of the task bar ( between the "start button" on the left end and the "icons" and "clock" at the right end ) . Each "minimised programme" should show one . PSI's shows 3 bars and Secunia PSI ??

Is this still showing after the main PSI display window closes , when it should disappear ??

If you click on it does the PSI scanner window reappear ??

Can you close the "button" by right clicking on it and selecting Close or by using Alt+F4 ??

In "task bar" settings is the task bar locked ??

Is it a problem or an inconvenience ??

Run out of questions :))

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Nov, 2009 03:03
Last edited on 30th Nov, 2009 03:10
[quote]Hello Lassie Lamb Chop ,

1.Does the PSI scanner "window" itself disappear when you click on the x (top right) ??

2.Is the indication window you refer to in fact the "task bar button" - a block in the middle part of the task bar ( between the "start button" on the left end and the "icons" and "clock" at the right end ) . Each "minimised programme" should show one . PSI's shows 3 bars and Secunia PSI ??

3.Is this still showing after the main PSI display window closes , when it should disappear ??

4.If you click on it does the PSI scanner window reappear ??

Can you close the "button" by right clicking on it and selecting Close 5.or by using Alt+F4 ?? No it will not close.

In "task bar" settings is the task bar locked ??

Is it a problem or an inconvenience ?? an inconvenience

Run out of questions :))

Take care
Anthony

1. Yes it does and the little banner appears on icon saying still running.

2. Yes.

3. yes it still shows

4. No it will not open again.

5. same thing cannt open it.

Yes it is a problem and an inconvenience when working not to be able to get rid of it without going to the trouble of closing the whole program by exiting it and then going to start it again. I am sure it is not designed to work this way.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: when I close down Secunia - the window closes but the task bar indication window stays.
Expert Contributor 30th Nov, 2009 18:43
Last edited on 30th Nov, 2009 20:22
Lassie ,

Can you relaunch PSI's page by right clicking the "tray icon" (near the clock) and selecting "open secunia psi" or "reload interface" ??

You did not say if the taskbar is locked or not ??

I have had "buttons" stick on the occasional programme , can't remember what happened then , but I think it was maybe a task bar settings or a fouled up registry key at fault .

If you can relaunch via the icon , rather than exiting/relaunch , you might live with it , it makes sense to leave PSI running in the background ; otherwise you could put PSI start link in the "start button" menu or in the "quick launch" space provided immediately to the right of the start button .

Best I can do as a non-techie , I'm afraid :((

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Dec, 2009 01:34
Yes even with the one stuck on right of start I can relaunch with the icon on the task bar - seems to make no difference.

I do have the task bar locked - to be honest always have as no one has evr told me why I should or should not so left it as default from factory on all computers.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 1st Dec, 2009 11:37

Hello again Lassie ,

The problem seems to be just the annoyance of the "immovable object" and is probably idiosyncratic to your system and I would "guess" at a registry glitch ; so unless you are brave , you'll probably just have to grin and bear it , as the rest seems to be working correctly .

You probably know already , but here's a link about the "task bar" :-

http://www.coolnerds.com/XP/Taskbar/xpTaskbar.htm

Locking and unlocking and fiddling with the buttons may help , it is Windows , after all :)))

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Dec, 2009 06:57
Thanks for all your help Anthony

I will read up on task bars.

As for the Secunia - as you say have to put up with it - only open it when it says Ihave an insecure program anyway.

You have a great safe and Happy Christmas

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 2nd Dec, 2009 18:29

Thanks Lassie and Seasons Greetings to you (and all our readers :o)))

Kind Regards

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer