Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: psi does not run

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
wysydude psi does not run
Member 28th Nov, 2009 23:34
Ranking: 0
User Since: 28th Nov, 2009
System Score: N/A
Hi,
I have recently installed psi on my laptop with xp sp3. There is avg, jetico and winpatrol on it for security. I started psi but it hangs forever at the "verifying net connection, etc." After swithcing out everything it still does not work. I have tried the online version. It showed me to problem. I have downloaded and installed the suggested the software version. After that i have run psi again and it claims the same problems exists. Any suggestion what did i do wrong. Thanks

xRatio RE: psi does not run
Member 29th Nov, 2009 02:32
Score: 0
User Since: 29th Nov 2009

I have just the same problem.

Checks network connection endless though I just downloaded PSISetup, installed and wanted to start it.

In Windoze Vista it worked, in XP seems to be a bug.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: psi does not run
Contributor 29th Nov, 2009 02:35
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 29th Nov, 2009 02:40
Hi wysydude;

You started PSI but it "hangs" when loading. I have the same problem on both of my machines. Do you use a dial-up connection? My problem goes away when I take my laptops to somewhere with a WiFi connection. You can start PSI on dial-up, you just have to be patient and right click on the Secunia icon in the task bar, click on reload interface. Allow several minuites before trying again. Sometimes it will load on two or three tries. Occasionally it refuses to load at all.

What do you refer to when you say "switching out everything"?

You mention using OSI (the online version), please note that while it is handy, OSI is not intended to replace PSI. OSI only checks for certain common software with vulnerabilities. PSI finds what software your computer has installed and compares it to a list from Secunia to make sure the programs are up to date & not end of life.

After downloading the solutions OSI recomended you rescaned with OSI? Did OSI show your system secure?

After this you say "i have run psi again and it claims the same problems exists". Does this mean you were successful in running PSI this time? If so, do you mean that PSI scaned your system and reported that the same insecure software is present on you computer?

We can deal with the specific problems later, lets just make sure PSI is running OK.

regards;
Fred

p.s. Hi xRatio; Smae question to you, are you running a dial-up connection?

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wysydude RE: psi does not run
Member 29th Nov, 2009 21:50
User Since: 28th Nov 2009
i use broadband internet connection with 1,5M/bit. i guess it should work. By swithing out i meant shuting down security softwares.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: psi does not run
Expert Contributor 29th Nov, 2009 22:04
Score: 2418
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

This is wr's tried and trusted method which I have copied from another thread for you :-

QUOTE:
1.Secunia PSI needs to be able to connect to Secunia servers to complete its scanning. However, if you have not configured
the security settings of Internet Explorer, the Secunia PSI may be prevented from getting the scan results. To receive
your scan results, you need to do some changes to your Internet options.
To do this:
a. Open Internet Explorer.
b. Go to Tools>Internet Options>Security tab.
c. Select the Internet zone and click on the Custom Level button.
d. In Security Settings, go to the Scripting>Active Scripting option.
e. Make sure that Active Scripting is Enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
f. Press OK then Yes.
g. Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted sites zone and click on the Sites button.
h. Look at the bottom of the page and take the tick from the box marked"Require server verification(HTTPS)for all site zones" then type in the following and press the Add button to add them to the Trusted Zone Sites list:
http://*.secunia.com
https://*.secunia.com
i. Press Close
j. Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results
If using a browser other than IE open Control Panel>Internet Options then follow c. thru

regards, wr
UNQUOTE

This is the thread (for reference) :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/310...

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Nov, 2009 23:56
thanks for the inputs.
I have followed precisely the instruction. Unfortunately i still does not work. Shall i give it up, or is there still something to be done?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Nov, 2009 23:56
thanks for the inputs.
I have followed precisely the instruction. Unfortunately i still does not work. Shall i give it up, or is there still something to be done?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 30th Nov, 2009 19:23
Last edited on 30th Nov, 2009 19:33
There are several posts recently where the "known" fixes are not working :((

Secunia seems to be a bit random in using/allocating browsers , despite your chosen default , so all/any need configuring .

A complete cleanout/delete of Secunia including a "manual" cleaning of Secunia from the Registry - be very , very sure you know what you are doing !!! - might help .

Other software like UpdateNotifier and FileHippo will cover some of your programmes for both security and eye candy updates .

Neither will show you "insecure" files leftover after an update , a Secunia speciality , which is what OSI is saying after your "update".

Which programmes are involved and what is OSI detailing ; some "cures" are obvious , so we may be able to help if you post the info you have ??

Shavlik is probably the closest replacement to Secunia , but it requires Google Desktop and all that entails.

Hopefully there will be some more techie advice here or you could ask support@secunia.com if they have anything new to suggest.

best I can do.

Anthony

Edit : I believe Shavlik is now pay software & not standalone - so forget it .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Dec, 2009 07:44
thanks a lot for the help. I think i will postpone the subject for a while and wait what will happen. May be time will solve the issue...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 2nd Dec, 2009 18:36

Probably best :((

Which programme is giving the update "problem" ??

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
in2golf RE: psi does not run
Member 5th Dec, 2009 04:52
User Since: 5th Dec 2009

I am on Win 7 64 bit. Both PSI and Apple iTunes could not make a secure connection although I was able to securely connect to online banking, etc. I tried ten different settings I read about in various posts under "Secure Connection" including the links and suggestions above in your post. Nothing worked.

What finally worked for me was going into Control Panel, then selecting Internet Properties, then going to the Advanced tab, and then scrolling down to the Security section and unchecking "Check for server certificate revocation*" Note that I undid trusted sites (e.g. no trusted sites needed) and undid all the special Norton IS 2009 firewall settings and everything still worked. This seemed to all start with the updates on PSI 1.5 but I can't be sure as I recently upgraded to Win 7 Premium Home 64 from Vista Ultimate 32.

Hope it works for you.

Good luck.

--
Dell XPS420 with 64 bit Win 7
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability