Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Firefox 3.5.5

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
All Threads

This thread has been marked as locked.
Brandy99 Firefox 3.5.5
Member 2nd Dec, 2009 10:51
Ranking: 0
User Since: 27th May, 2008
System Score: N/A
When ever I start Firefox Secunia is warning me that I've installed a unpached version. But 3.5.5 is the newest one.
Do you know what this advice meens.

taffy078 RE: Firefox 3.5.5
Contributor 2nd Dec, 2009 17:08
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
System Score: 100%
Firefox recently updated me to 3.5.5 and Secunia shows it as OK.
I'm sure a teccie will be along to help shortly - although working it out is quite simple once you've done it for the first time, it's better that one of them explains it to you.

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+0
taffy078 RE: Firefox 3.5.5
Contributor 2nd Dec, 2009 17:11
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
System Score: 100%
if no-one appears soon, try the advice given here http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/311... and in other threads. It may help.

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Firefox 3.5.5
Expert Contributor 2nd Dec, 2009 18:15
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 2nd Dec, 2009 18:18
Hello Brandy99 ,

I don't quite understand your problem .

When you run Firefox , how does PSI advise you ??

What is PSI advising ??

As this is your first post , but you are a long time user of Secunia , I will give you some basic advice (sorry if you already know) , which may help you explain your problem to us more specifically :-

To help resolve your problem , here are some instructions to help you first of all get the best out of PSI :-

1)use PSI in "advanced" mode ;
2)in the "settings" tab make sure that the box in the first/upper section is NOT ticked in order to have the maximum info available ;
3)tell us in which "tab(s)" your problem programme is located ;
4)in that tab , click on the + in the box at the left end of the programme , the page will expand ;
5)in the expanded page , tell us what is written in the "installation path" ;
6)in the "toolbox" section , lower down , the link "technical details" should confirm the installation path details ;
7)click on the link "open folder" and you will see more details concerning the location of the "problem" .

Posting these details will help the Forum help you , if/when you have a problem .

Please give us more details about your problem , I'm sure someone can help you sort it :)) I would guess it's an old file lurking somewhere that needs to be dealt with !

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Brandy99 RE: Firefox 3.5.5
Member 4th Dec, 2009 10:18
Score: 0
User Since: 27th May 2008
Hello Anthony,
this is my problem. When I start the PC, PSI is advising me that there are two programs are unpached. These programs are MoneyFox and Firefox. PSI did recognize both of these programs as 3.5.3 but installed are 3.5.5. This is telling me Firefox by identification of the version.
I hope my English is good enough to explain precise the problem.
Bernd
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 4th Dec, 2009 15:25

Hello Bernd

NO problem your English is excellent .

Like I explained in my last poest you need to use PSI in "advanced" mode - the link between "advanced" and "simple" is top right of any PSI screen - the mode operating will show the black colour .

You need then to give us the "installation path" of the "unpatched" items showing in the "insecure tab ; as in note 5 of my post (above) plus any ohter details PSI shows.

Is 3.5.5 and an up to date money fox displayed in the "patched" tab ??

I will need this info to try to solve the problem , which might be an old file caught up somewhere and PSI can see it , so location is essential .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Dec, 2009 10:23
Hello Anthony,

thanks for your help. I did as you have suggested. Both programs concerning Firefox.
First program:
to point 3) unsecure
to point 5) C:\Documents and settings\Bernd\Local settings\Temp\ Temporarily Directory 2 for MoneyFox.zip\MoneyFox\Firefox\firefox.exe
to point 6) detected version 3.5.3 and the same like point 5
Second program:
to point 3) unsecure
to point 5) C:\Documents and settings\Bernd\Own documents\MoneyFox\MoneyFox\Firefox\firefox.exe
to point 6) detected version 3.5.3

I hope that these informations will allow you to help me.
Bernd

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 5th Dec, 2009 12:04
Last edited on 5th Dec, 2009 12:17
Hello Bernd ,

More questions to which I need your answers , please .

A)I don't know anything about MoneyFox ; is it the "moneyfox.zoomshare.com.toolbar" ?? If not , what is it and who is the source/supplier ??

B)Does Firefox 3.5.5. show in the PSI "patched" tab ??

C)Does an up to date version of the "MoneyFox/Toolbar" show in the PSI "patched" tab ?? If so , what is the "installation path" ??

D)Is Firefox showing as secure in the PSI "secure browsing" tab ?? If not what is shown as insecure .

E)Do you have special settings in MoneyFox that will be lost if you have to reload it ?? Would that be a problem ??

Anthony

PS: what is your Operating System ??

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Dec, 2009 09:46
Hello Anthony,
I've eleminated MoneyFox and I've deleted Firefox. Then I've installed Firefox new but the problem is the same. PSI is scanning as an unpatched version 3.5.3 while in the software Firefox is listed as 3.5.5.
I do have Windows XP.
Bernd
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Dec, 2009 16:56

Hello Bernd

It's easier for me to go one step at a time ; however , what you did was fine , but it seems that an old file is still left lying around - I'm guessing that your "first problem" is still there as it looks like a set up file in a "hidden" folder.

As before , please post the "installation path" for what PSI is showing as "insecure" .

Do you know how to enable "hidden" files ?? What is the language of your XP (mine is French) ??

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Dec, 2009 12:34
Hello Anthony,
the path is: C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Bernd\Lokale Einstellungen\Temp\Temporäres Verzeichnis 2 für MoneyFox.zip\MoneyFox\Firefox\firefox.exe
The language is German.
I'm not sure to enable hidden folders. I modified the folderoptions to "show hidden folders" but I do not know how to find the hidden folders.
Bernd
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th Dec, 2009 14:21
Last edited on 8th Dec, 2009 14:32
Hello Bernd ,

Here is a link which explains how to enable hidden folders - it's in English , but is easy to follow on my French XP ; you can check you have done the right thing **:-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial...

Now when you open "explorer" and follow the PSI "installation path" for your "insecure" programme you will see some folders and files are a much paler/lighter colour than others - these are the previously "hidden" folders .

You should now see "Lokale Einstellungen" as a paler folder and be able to continue to follow the path to "Temporäres Verzeichnis 2 für MoneyFox.zip\" .

This is "probably" the old installer files folder left behind after the original installation and still not removed when you got rid of MoneyFox .

I would delete this folder and it's contents ; if you are not sure you could rename this folder and the Firefox .exe file by adding
_old
to the end of the name of each (right click on the file and select "rename").

PSI should now show you as "clean" . If everythig works normally , you can go back and delete the files you renamed , if you so wish .

Once you have deleted them be sure to clean the garbage as PSI often detects them in "recycle".

You can hide the foders again , if you wish , by reversing the settings changes you made .

Please ask if anything is not clear .

Anthony

**PS : in the method shown in the the link , if you change to "show operating system files" do not change anything at all ever which is a "system" file.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Dec, 2009 09:22
Hello Anthony,
now I did what you've supposed and PSI is satisfied now. No unpached program any more on my computer. Thank you very much and have a good time.
Bernd
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 17th Dec, 2009 18:09

Hello Bernd ,

Thanks for your update , glad things worked OK

Seasons Greetings
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+