Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Adobe Flash Player 10.x

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Flash Player 10.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Turtle173 Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 6th Dec, 2009 16:08
Ranking: 0
User Since: 15th Feb, 2009
System Score: N/A
This program remains inscure even after I download and install the Solution. I have uninstalled the program, downloaded and installed the solution and Re-Scaned with the same results.

Leendert Kip Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 6th Dec, 2009 19:06
Score: 70
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 6th Dec, 2009 19:10
Do you have version 10.0.32.18? That's the latest and is patched accor-
ding PSI.

--
PC: JJ Computer Services
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
DDR3 Kingston ValueRam 4GB 1333
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
michaelsalis RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 6th Dec, 2009 21:21
Score: 57
User Since: 18th Feb 2009
System Score: 98%
There is to be a further update released on Tuesday 8 December.

Michael

--
Michael
Toshiba Satelite A660
Intel i7
Windows 7 Ultimate
IE9

Toshiba Equium Laptop
Intel Centrino Duo
Windows Vista Ultimate SP2
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Leendert Kip Adobe Flash Player 10, New version 10.0.42.34!
Member 9th Dec, 2009 11:21
Score: 70
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
on 6th Dec, 2009 21:21, michaelsalis wrote:
There is to be a further update released on Tuesday 8 December.Michael

I just got a message from a Dutch warning service that version 10.0.42.34 is available and installed the new version successfully.
You must first uninstall the old version. I did that using Revo uninstaller.

--
PC: JJ Computer Services
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
DDR3 Kingston ValueRam 4GB 1333
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
davidbassplayer RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 9th Dec, 2009 15:29
Score: 2
User Since: 13th Feb 2008
Adobe has a miserable reputation for the behavior of installers and removing old versions.

I found that the installer for version 10.0.32.18 silently fails to remove this components of the old version, Flash10c.ocx, unless you close EVERYTHING that uses this program, including PSI. Neither the Flash installer nor PSI warns of this. Once you make this mistake, reinstalling Flash does not remove the threat, no matter what you do.

My fix was to open the containing folder,
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash
where I found Flash10c.ocx (old) and Flash10d.ocx (new). I removed Flash10c.ocx, confirmed that the threat was removed. I found I had to reinstall Flash (activex) 10.0.32.18 to get the Secunia PSI bar graph to work, then I checked that Flash10c.ocx was still gone, and did a rescan that said my system is threat free. Things all seem to work. Time will tell.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Expert Contributor 9th Dec, 2009 16:18
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 9th Dec, 2009 16:42
@davidbassplayer ,

Just to be clear , the TechNotes page where you get the Flash Player uninstaller , tells you what to close but does not specify PSI :-

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html?promoid...

As you say , this is not repeated by either Adobe or PSI concerning the version 10 update installers which do include an uninstaller of the previous version.

Version 10.0.32.18 (ActiveX) uses the 10c.ocx not 10d.ocx .As I have not been notified by Secunia to update to a newer stable version or the Beta version I have 10c.ocx , I do not have 10d.ocx .

Version 10.0.42.34 is available from Adobe and presumably runs 10d.ocx ; Secunia will only recommend this if it is a security update (I'll go check)

Thus the second part of your post is not clear , to me at least . I only mention this as any added confusion re Adobe is best avoided/cleared up .

Take care
Anthony

Edit 16.32 : OSI sent me an Email re Adobe 2 hours ago , PSI still unmoved.
Edit 16.43 : PSI moved and includes AIR .

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Dec, 2009 16:51
on 9th Dec, 2009 16:18, Anthony Wells wrote:
@davidbassplayer ,

<SNIP>

Version 10.0.32.18 (ActiveX) uses the 10c.ocx not 10d.ocx .As I have not been notified by Secunia to update to a newer stable version or the Beta version I have 10c.ocx , I do not have 10d.ocx .

Version 10.0.42.34 is available from Adobe and presumably runs 10d.ocx ; Secunia will only recommend this if it is a security update (I'll go check)

Thus the second part of your post is not clear , to me at least . I only mention this as any added confusion re Adobe is best avoided/cleared up .

Take care
Anthony

You said:

"Version 10.0.32.18 (ActiveX) uses the 10c.ocx not 10d.ocx As I have not been notified by Secunia to update to a newer stable version or the Beta version I have 10c.ocx , I do not have 10d.ocx ."

PCI, run this morning, pointed the "threat" finger at activeX flash version 10.0.32.18 and the fix fetches 10.0.42.34

I don't know what is unclear about the second paragraph.

I clicked through PSI to get what ever new version was offered and a new version which uses Flash10d.ocx, and PCI continued to point the accusing "threat" finger at 10c.ocx.

(I did not look at the actual version number, I carelessly assumed that the version mentioned in an earlier post was the latest. Sorry.)

PCI tells you what the offending file is, and what folder contains the offending file. I used PCI links to get there, and 10c.ocx and 10d.ocx were both there after installing the new version of Flash. I deleted the offending 10c.ocx file. PCI's scan said threat was gone, but the PCI Bar graph didn't work until I reinstalled the newer version of Flash.

I hope this clarifies that paragraph.

-- David

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Dec, 2009 17:16
Last edited on 9th Dec, 2009 17:18
Hello David ,

Yes it does , thank you ; it corrects the relevant version numbers and .ocx numbers ; if you confused me you might confuse less experienced readers of the thread.

An added point is that closing a programme AND exiting via the tray icon or task bar button makes sure that the files update "properly" :)

FWIW : I updated a few minutes ago , I go to www.adobe.com using FIrefox to download both the ActiveX and NPAPI installers (and also the 'full' one for AIR) ; I refuse te DLM (thanks to a Firefox warning) and deselect the MacAffee scan .

One day Secunia and Adobe will catch up with us !!

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Dec, 2009 17:47

You are quite right that if a paragraph one of us writes isn't clear to another, we should complain, for a person with less experience may well be sorely confused. Thanks.

You write:

> An added point is that closing a programme AND exiting via the tray
> icon or task bar button makes sure that the files update "properly" :)

What do you mean by "exiting via the tray icon"? Is that necessary?

I always use the close button on the install 'box'. That always updates the files. Only when I fail to close something that uses a package I'm installing or the installer fails to remove the old version do I get into trouble.

Warmest Regards
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Dec, 2009 18:10

Hello again ,

Exiting with the tray icon means after you close PSI wit the x top right of the page (and I believe this applies to things like MSN Messenger) the "tray icon" next to the clock is still showing ; PSI is still monitoring in the background so right click and select "exit" to makes sure it is disconnected from Flash , to be sure , to be sure ;))

I have heard it debated that closing is enough , but this is what Adobe say in their TecNotes(in the link I posted above :

"quote"
Quit ALL running applications, including all Internet Explorer or other browser windows, AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, or other Messengers. Check the Windows system tray carefully to make certain no applications are still in memory which might possibly use Flash Player.
"unquote"

Best I can do as a non techie :))

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Dec, 2009 18:20
OK When you say exit in the proper manner, you are speaking of exiting PSI. Of course closing the tray icon is propoer way to kill PSI, for it continues in the back ground. It is curios that flash for Firefox installer advised me that I needed to close FF, but the activeX flash installer did not.

It is further curious that once the error of leaving PSI running and updating has been made, not even removing activeX Flash via the control panel killed off the offending Flash10c.ocx file. I had to do it manually. Puzzling.

I think things are clear now, thanks your for your questions and your answers. You helped me to understand and to make clearer.

--David
Was this reply relevant?
+0
cstortion RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 9th Dec, 2009 18:21
Score: 0
User Since: 4th Sep 2009
I have followed all of Secunias instructions, gone to the Adobe website, verified that I have installed 10.0.42.34 and the Secunia scan still shows that the program is insecure. What now? Should I just "ignore" it?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Dec, 2009 18:35
Last edited on 9th Dec, 2009 18:36
David ,

The control panel won't remove the old ActiveX which is why Adobe provide the uninstaller in my link - nothing running rules apply - then run the new installer .

Alternatively , if you reboot and make sure none of the programmes that use Flash load or at least get to the Flash folder in an instant , you can probably delete the old .ocx file manually plus another reboot .

When you are in the folder if you click on the file FlashUtil10x.exe it will tell you an update is available , if you agree to download it it usually resets the files and cures the PSI/Flash problem you experienced .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Dec, 2009 18:49

@cstortion

No !! Do not ignore it , you have an old file left behind and PSI has picked it up , use Maurice Joyce's excellent method from this thread to resolve your problem :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/261...

As a newish user of PSI , to help resolve your problem , here are some instructions to help you first of all get the best out of PSI :-

1)use PSI in "advanced" mode ;
2)in the "settings" tab make sure that the box in the first/upper section is NOT ticked in order to have the maximum info available ;
3)tell us in which "tab(s)" your problem programme is located ;
4)in that tab , click on the + in the box at the left end of the programme , the page will expand ;
5)in the expanded page , tell us what is written in the "installation path" ;
6)in the "toolbox" section , lower down , the link "technical details" should confirm the installation path details ;
7)click on the link "open folder" and you will see more details concerning the location of the "problem" .

Posting these details will help the Forum help you , if/when you have a problem .

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
dougyoungblood RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 9th Dec, 2009 19:07
User Since: 29th May 2009
thanks, worked for me
Was this reply relevant?
+0
cstortion RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 9th Dec, 2009 19:52
User Since: 4th Sep 2009
Thank you for your help, Anthony. Your suggested fix worked perfectly!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Dec, 2009 21:38

Good to hear from you.

Anthony.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
xjklt RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 9th Dec, 2009 22:32
Score: 4
User Since: 6th Mar 2009
I cannot count the hours I have spent over the years trying to update Macromedia Flash, always with eventual success.

I downloaded the new fix using the Secunia download button. As usual a very very slow download process. I ran and installed it.

However I have had similar problems in having 2 flash files, ocx.c (old) and ocx.d (new), in the Macromedia folder/flash (system32 folder). I used the uninstaller from the same folder with APPARENTLY no positive results.

I also tried to delete the ocx.c programme but found that the system would not allow me to.

After all this I rebooted out of sheer frustration and then looked in the system32 folder and lo and behold the old ocx.c had gone.

Secunia now shows 100% patching.

It does leave me wondering if I will remember all this when Adobe does its next update! Of course I will..........there is this excellent world wide forum of very helpful users.

Thanks guys
Was this reply relevant?
+0
twosteppin_ed RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 9th Dec, 2009 22:45
User Since: 8th Sep 2009
Last edited on 9th Dec, 2009 22:47
I am so sick of Adobe's installer/uninstaller issues with all of their products I could just...

Anyway, a very weird thing happened to me while trying to fix this Flash problem. I deleted the Flash10c.ocx file and Secunia still flagged it as if it existed, even after a reboot. Turned out Secunia was finding it in the recycle bin! When I deleted it from the recycle bin, Secunia threw a message, "it appears the file no longer exists" and froze up.

I rebooted again and now all is normal with both Secunia and Flash.

Maybe Secunia needs a patch to not look in the recycle bin.

Thanks to all here who contributed regarding this problem.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
holgerf RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 9th Dec, 2009 23:41
User Since: 5th Nov 2008
Last edited on 9th Dec, 2009 23:43
on 9th Dec, 2009 22:45, twosteppin_ed wrote:
I am so sick of Adobe's installer/uninstaller issues with all of their products I could just...

Anyway, a very weird thing happened to me while trying to fix this Flash problem. I deleted the Flash10c.ocx file and Secunia still flagged it as if it existed, even after a reboot. Turned out Secunia was finding it in the recycle bin! When I deleted it from the recycle bin, Secunia threw a message, "it appears the file no longer exists" and froze up.

I rebooted again and now all is normal with both Secunia and Flash.

Maybe Secunia needs a patch to not look in the recycle bin.

Thanks to all here who contributed regarding this problem.

As you i'm also frustrated that Adobe don't remove the old file, I renamed Flash10c.ocx to xFlash10c.ocx as an experiment, asked Secunia to have a look at the program again, and vupti all is perfect.

Maybe Secunia should advise that possibility. :)

Then I deleted the file xFlash10c.ocx - FlashPlayer works perfect.

How on earth is normal people ( You know - the kind who can't find the "Any Key" ) going to fix this kind of problems, if they are not computerrized :)

Was this reply relevant?
+0
xjklt RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 10th Dec, 2009 11:00
Score: 4
User Since: 6th Mar 2009
Last edited on 10th Dec, 2009 11:02
Having suffered these miscellaneous problems over the years re Adobe Flash, it strikes me that many, many machines globally must be insecure through users just eventually giving up the update process and settling for a semi-compromised system.

This, of course, is their decision but Adobe seems to be acting more sensibly now. The newer Adobe Flash applications do seem to contain an uninstaller which is located in the path Windows/System32/Macromedia/Flash OR BETTER STILL try the link at Adobe.com :

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html?promoid... for different versions of the uninstaller.

Unfortunately it is not obvious to the inexperienced user that these features exist.

Thanks to Anthony Wells for pointing the link out
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Handling Contributor 10th Dec, 2009 11:41
Score: 11723
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Adobe have still not mastered the art of a complete uninstall nor informing the user that they change user Flash settings each time an update is necessary.

It is much better & safer to stick to traditional methods to update their products.

UPDATING ADOBE FLASH
====================

Adobe have not mastered the art of completely removing all their files during an uninstall nor have they widely publicised the fact that they do not support removal using Control Panel>Add/Remove.

To successfully remove a vulnerability from Adobe Flash you should:

1. Download & use the Flash Uninstaller from here:

#####Before actually running the uninstaller it is a good idea to close all browsers,PSI and any other programme U think may be using Flash #####

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

2. Reboot to clear out any left over ocx files.

3. Rescan using PSI - if there are any insecure Flash elements left what is the path to them? U should not proceed to stage 4 until all U clear any problems found.(The PSI overview page may look a little odd because it uses Flash for the pictorials)

Note: At this stage,if PSI finds any elements of Flash in the C:\i386 folder or on any drive other than C that is an OEM reinstallation partition (normally D drive) or a drive U use solely to backup your work U can safely create an ignore rule.

4. Reinstall the latest Internet Explorer Flash Player from here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/ (I strongly advise U do not select the Beta version unless an advanced user)

4A.If U are also using Firefox, Opera and other Gecko-based browsers U need this link as well:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_fire... (I strongly advise U do not select the Beta version unless an advanced user)

5. Go to add/remove & double check Adobe have not installed the useless Adobe Download Manager - if U see an entry remove it.

In addition, Adobe fans will be pleased to know that trials on their latest offering of a lead lined parachute are proceeding. Earlier tests failed but they have now included the Google logo in the hope that a softer landing will be achieved.

10:28 10/12/2009

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
wr RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Contributor 10th Dec, 2009 18:30
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
In addition, Adobe fans will be pleased to know that trials on their latest offering of a lead lined parachute are proceeding. Earlier tests failed but they have now included the Google logo in the hope that a softer landing will be achieved.

Darn, what a disappointment, I thought a high-speed smoke grinder was in my immediate future.
Oh well, maybe that'll be next.

Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
PHIL53 RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 10th Dec, 2009 19:52
User Since: 23rd Feb 2009
Last edited on 10th Dec, 2009 19:54
I've read all the information on this post and another posting just before this and my brain hurts.
Am I wrong, all i did was use the removal tool, restart, open PSI and on the overview page download Adobe Flash Player. It was shown as the graphics did not work.
Hey presto CLEAN BILL OF HEALTH
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 10th Dec, 2009 22:00
Last edited on 11th Dec, 2009 10:20
Phil,
No U are not wrong. My lengthy solution gives, I hope, the most novice user the opportunity to clear up Adobe's mess without fear of failure.

More advanced users can "read between the lines" & achieve the same result quicker.

The main points are to shift the old ocx file & not get worried if PSI finds a vulnerability on a drive that has no exposure.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
adam krant RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 15th Dec, 2009 05:25
User Since: 15th Jun 2008
Thank you for your post i did the same thing and now 100 percent.Thank you again,Adam
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Contributor 15th Dec, 2009 06:47
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Last edited on 15th Dec, 2009 06:54
on 10th Dec, 2009 18:30, wr wrote:
In addition, Adobe fans will be pleased to know ...

Tee hee! Good one wr.

Fred

p.s. Whoops! After further review I see Maurice deserves credit for my tee hee!

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ExiledMainer RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 15th Dec, 2009 17:02
User Since: 18th Dec 2007
This worked for me but up to the point of reading your post I had no idea that PSI was "using" Flash. After closing PSI, removing Flash 10c and reinstalling Flash from the Adobe site, all was well!

Thanks for a great post!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
harlandejohnson RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 15th Dec, 2009 19:22
User Since: 26th Jul 2008
davidbassplayers solution works for me -- I just deleted Flash 10c.ocx from the Windws/System32/Macromed/Flash Directory and did a rescan with Secunia -- everything now secure!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
taffy078 RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Contributor 15th Dec, 2009 19:31
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
I imagine that Maurice Joyce and Anthony Wells blush when they read my frequent fulsome "thank you"s to them!! Especially Maurice after yet another Adobe update!
Wouldn't it be great if Secunia pinned Maurice's advice re deleting and installing the latest version of Adobe software/
Put it on the home page.
Anyone else agree?? Who at Secunia do we contact?

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 15th Dec, 2009 19:31
I imagine that Maurice Joyce and Anthony Wells blush when they read my frequent fulsome "thank you"s to them!! Especially Maurice after yet another Adobe update!
Wouldn't it be great if Secunia pinned Maurice's advice re deleting and installing the latest version of Adobe software/
Put it on the home page.
Anyone else agree?? Who at Secunia do we contact?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 15th Dec, 2009 19:32
sorry for stuttering!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 16th Dec, 2009 01:35
Taffy,
I nice thought but not sure it is practical - most of my posts are aimed at the true novice who has had the courage to use the advanced mode & requires a little help.

1. By pinning Secunia would take ownership. Not sure they are in that business. Their modus operandi to find a PC venerability free of charge & allow those unsure how to correct an issue to use this Forum. They actively trawl & help as necessary but the onus is self help which is wise given the manpower time/costs if they were to take on an added task.

2. If Secunia pin them it would be impossible for items pinned to be updated by the author - for example, my latest Flash missive is not on this thread but here:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/144...

3. There are some equally good postings on many of my subjects aimed at more advanced users - should they not be accorded the same pinning action?

4. I am not convinced that many search the Forum anyway before posting.

Not sure how many will respond to your excellent idea but I for one think the current system works very well. The only reason I stick around is that, in the main, people are helpful, friendly & the novice has a great opportunity to fix a PC at no cost from a variety of helpers.

00:28 16/12/2009

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wr RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Contributor 16th Dec, 2009 02:27
Score: 308
User Since: 30th Mar 2008
All I can say on this subject is I hope Maurice Joyce is around
for a looooooooooong time & continues to share his wisdom with us all.

In my small but heartfelt way may I offer my deepest thanks to all
for sharing their expertise here on this Forum-especially Mr. Joyce.

Regards, wr

--
HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
AMD 64 Athlon X2
Firefox 24.4.0 ESR
The weakest link of a computer system is always sitting in front of the monitor.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mbentaleb RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 16th Dec, 2009 02:55
User Since: 1st Jan 2010
on 6th Dec, 2009 16:08, Turtle173 wrote:
This program remains inscure even after I download and install the Solution. I have uninstalled the program, downloaded and installed the solution and Re-Scaned with the same results.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
pieromat RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 16th Dec, 2009 05:34
User Since: 15th Oct 2009

Was this reply relevant?
+0
skeezix44 RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 16th Dec, 2009 19:11
User Since: 9th Dec 2009
Last edited on 16th Dec, 2009 19:14
This solution offered by davidbassplayer on 9th Dec 2009 15:29 solved my problem; thank you.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 16th Dec, 2009 19:51
Cheers Maurice for that!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
mommiecat RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 17th Dec, 2009 09:02
User Since: 4th Oct 2009
Thanks for your help, davidbassplayer! Adobe's Flash Player has been doing my head in for weeks - it was the only thing I couldn't repair, no matter how many permutations I used. Your advice re finding the offending "c" file and deleting it, leaving the up-to-date "d" file did the trick. Thank you again.

--
mommiecat
Was this reply relevant?
+0
architron RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 17th Dec, 2009 17:47
User Since: 20th Oct 2009
on 9th Dec, 2009 15:29, davidbassplayer wrote:
Adobe has a miserable reputation for the behavior of installers and removing old versions.

I found that the installer for version 10.0.32.18 silently fails to remove this components of the old version, Flash10c.ocx, unless you close EVERYTHING that uses this program, including PSI. Neither the Flash installer nor PSI warns of this. Once you make this mistake, reinstalling Flash does not remove the threat, no matter what you do.

where I found Flash10c.ocx (old) and Flash10d.ocx (new). I removed Flash10c.ocx, confirmed that the threat was removed. I found I had to reinstall Flash (activex) 10.0.32.18 to get the Secunia PSI bar graph to work, then I checked that Flash10c.ocx was still gone, and did a rescan that said my system is threat free. Things all seem to work. Time will tell.

Hope this helps.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Mac61 RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 18th Dec, 2009 21:08
User Since: 22nd Jun 2009
Does anyone know how I can get rid of Flash10b.ocx and flash10c.ocx which is on my back-up hard drive (F:). I was able to get rid of flash10c.ocx on my C: drive, but the uninstall program does not do the F: drive.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 19th Dec, 2009 10:13
Your F drive has no exposure - just create a Global Ignore Rule for this drive.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
BITSTREAM RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 27th Dec, 2009 19:11
Score: 1
User Since: 11th Oct 2008
Thanks.

I used your solution and finally received a positive scan result from Secunia. Have a good day.

Mike in Abita Springs, LA.

--
MIKE IN ABITA SPRINGS, LOUISIANA, USA
Was this reply relevant?
+0
sherwincruz RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 28th Dec, 2009 09:57
User Since: 17th Dec 2009
deleting the old file worked for me tnx a lot no need to reinstall
Was this reply relevant?
+0
garethpr RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 28th Dec, 2009 11:30
User Since: 5th Sep 2009
on 9th Dec, 2009 15:29, davidbassplayer wrote:

Hope this helps.

Hi davidbassplayer,

Solution worked a treat for me too!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
frustrated RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 3rd Jan, 2010 23:58
User Since: 24th Jun 2009
I need alot of help with removing the insecure active x control that secunia detected. I have tried everything you suggested to no avail. When I opened the file (I followed the path c:\windows\system32\macromed\flashold) and clicked on properties this is what I saw: Flash 10b.oxc, Adobe Flash Player 10.0r22, version 10.0.22.87. I think this may be a very old version and that is why nothing I try off of this thread is working. I tried renaming the file as one person did and it did not work. I also tried to delete the file but my computer wont let me. I get a message asking me to make sure the disk is not full.
I always exit out of everything in my tray, even my internet security before I run the uninstaller and then reboot. At one time I was rid of it but when I started to work on the next vulnerability ( another flash player problem) at the time I rescanned it, I got the message again. I would appreciate very simple instructions as I am not great at this and I don't have a lot of computer knowledge. Thank you.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 4th Jan, 2010 01:25
Hi frustrated;

The problem with Adobe Flash Player has been around quite awhile, as you may have noticed from the above posts. This is not the first thread about Adobe products, nor, I'm sure, will it be the last.

Now let's clarify a few things so we can fix your problem. Make sure you are running PSI in "ADVANCED" mode. In the PSI window, top right corner, INTERFACE MODE: SIMPLE|ADVANCED, is "SIMPLE" blue in color & "ADVANCED" black? If not, click on "ADVANCED" and the colors should change. If it is now so, let's continue. Click on the "Insecure" tab, does PSI list Adobe Flash Player? If so, click on the [+] to the left of the program, then click on the "Technical details" icon in the toolbox. Post back with the version detected. Is it the ActiveX version? It will say after the version #. Also send the installation path. Please be precise in copying this info. There may have been typos in your previous post.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Jan, 2010 02:50
Hi Fred,
Thank you for responding. I am running in advanced mode. Under the insecure tab I have two listings.The first one is Adobe Flash Player 10.x.
The technical details say it detected version 10.0.22.87(NPAPI)and the installation path is C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flashold\NPSWF32.dll. The second one is also listed as Adobe Flash Player 10.x. The technical details detected version 10.0.22.87 (ActiveX) and the installation path is C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flashold\Flash10b.ocx .
Frustrated (but feeling better now)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 4th Jan, 2010 04:11
Hi;

Do you use an internet browser other than Internet Explorer? The one with (NPAPI) after the version # can be used with quite a few browsers (Mozilla Application Suite, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Google Chrome, Opera, Konqueror). The one with (ActiveX) is used for Internet Explorer, you will almost always need it (see *note below later).

The version # reported is an outdated version of Flash Player, the new version being 10.0.42.34 .

You reported these files are located in the folder at C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flashold\ , would you please check to see if there is a folder at C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\ , without the old at the end. If you need help doing this please ask.

*note: IE (Internet Explorer) is "built into" the Windows opreating system. You may use other browsers but IE is a necessity to certain programs, for most users. It is necessary so that these programs (such as Microsoft Update) can connect through the internet to their servers (Microsofts computer at the other end of the wire). I hope I haven't confused you with this extra info.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 4th Jan, 2010 04:28
Last edited on 4th Jan, 2010 04:33
Sorry, never mind.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Jan, 2010 05:06
Hi Fred,
Thank you again for helping me. You are going at just my speed:).

I use IE and Firefox.

When I took off the old I found a folder containing the following:
1.Flashplayer.xpt (which I can't open), the properties say- XPT File
2.an icon that looks like gears w/ NPSWF32.dll 10.0.42.34 Shockwave Flash 10.0.r42
3.a Flashplayer icon w/ uninstall plugin.exe
4.a notebook icon w/install.log
5.another Flashplayer icon w/ NPSWF32 Flash Util.exe Adobe Flash Player Helper 10.0.42

The address w/ the old in it had 6 things including the Flash 10b.ocx
Frustrated
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mmo RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 4th Jan, 2010 16:02
User Since: 28th Apr 2009
Last edited on 4th Jan, 2010 16:04
What *I* don't get in this whole setup: FlashPlayer is a notoriously insecure component and is listed as insecure practically once per week in most security bulletins (well, maybe every other week, b ut still way too often). How can Secunia, claiming to do everything to improve users' security, use and depend on such a component?

IMHO they should get rid of that dependency ASAP! That would also solve this re-iterating problem, that the installation of a newer flash version fails, because the user triggers it from within PSI which prevents the uninstallation of the old version and hence the proper installation of the new version! Of course a proper installer would detect that and alarm the user, but Adobe is well-known to be inadequate when it comes to installers (and esp. uninstallers!).

At the very minimum Secunia should be smart enough to point that dependency out and make users aware, that they need to close PSI (and all browsers and maybe even other SW) before doing that upgrade! The current implementation and handling is definitely NOT very security-minded!

Michael
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jan, 2010 01:38
Fred,
I am hoping you are just busy and not done helping me. I will chek back for more info.
Frustratrd
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jan, 2010 01:39
Last edited on 9th Jan, 2010 06:15
oops
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 8th Jan, 2010 01:27
Hi frustrated;

I'm still here, sort of, for now. The information on the lefthand side of your posts does not give your location. Here in Missouri, we're in a bit of frigid weather and had a few inches of snow last night. Unfortunately, I have been busy at work & home trying to stay on top of things. I hope your weather is OK.

Many apologies for not letting you know I'd be late getting back with you. Allow me a few minutes to refresh my memory.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 8th Jan, 2010 02:29
Hi frustrated;

Me again. It appears that the folder without the "old" after flash is your NPAPI plugin for FF (Firefox). It should be functioning correctly as all the bits & pieces you report seem to be there. More info can be found at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Flash , don't let it overwhelm you, just look for what you need. It also appears that the ActiveX is missing, if you don't use IE for anything beside MS Update you probably won't need it. We can explore that later.

The information in C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flashold\ is most likely someones attempt to save the old version. Does someone else manage/maintain your computer for you currently or previously? If not, do you feel comfortable in removing the "old" folder to the Recycle Bin? The files in that folder won't be deleted until you empty the Recycle Bin, so you can restore the folder right back like it was. Be aware, some automatic cleanup utilities empty this for you, usually when you close Windows. Let me know what you think about this suggestion. I will do my best to respond sooner!

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 8th Jan, 2010 02:52
Hi Michael;

You are correct and I agree. I no longer use Adobe Reader for PDF files, there are many replacements that work fine. However, Flash Player FLV files are dependent on code that is copyright material of Adobe, they won't work on anything else. Unfortunately, FLV is what companies choose to use. Even more unfortunate is the way Adobe handles the "free" software they "give" to us. They get plenty of money for Flash CS4 & even more for product support. Adobe makes a fine product, but they can care less if there is no profit. So we put up with Adobes stuff or do without.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Jan, 2010 03:30
Hello!!
Your are the famous dillpickl at my house! I am so glad you are back. I am in Ohio. We just got about 4 inches of snow. It does present it's self with alot of extra work but at my house we love it-beautiful you know.
I will read the info. on the link you sent later tonight-have to help with home work now.

The mess with the second note you wrote is probably from me. I use Kaspersky for security and I tried to clean up this mess a long time ago when it was flagged by them after a scan. I got smart and downloaded secunia when I saw they use it for the scans. I have learned a few things since then but I still have far to go. I feel fine about moving the file to the recycle bin because I know I can get it back. As long as I don't run ccleaner or atf I should be fine. We have 6 people who use this computer so I can't be sure if anyone uses IE for other purposes than I do. I use it for updates only as you mentioned. I have asked people not to use it - but I can't be sure if they always remember.

The only reason I am trying to fix this is because it was flagged insecure and when I download the newer version and rescan the note says "no change". I have run the uninstaller(w/ everything I can think of turned off, rebooted and tried the install. All this ends with the same result so I am so ready to remove the file. I must not know how to do this properly though because when I hit delete, I get a note that it can't be deleted. Can you walk me through the steps?
Frustrated (AKA Barb)

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Jan, 2010 03:47
Last edited on 8th Jan, 2010 03:47
Hello again.
There is alot of info on the link. I am thinking maybe I should ask you what you thought I should look at. I think the only thing I need to do is get rid of the old version and install the newer version. It does seem to work properly, it just prevents me from being rid of the vulnerability it presents.
The activeX I appear to be missing,does it have to do with the NPAPI (which is for Firefox right?)? I guess I should work on Firefox first then IE.
Barb
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 8th Jan, 2010 06:11
Last edited on 8th Jan, 2010 06:14
Hi Barb (frustrated or not);

First let me say that I love snow, it's wonderful, it's beautiful, it's the greatest! As long as I'm sitting in my warm home, staring at it through a window!!! Yes, I'm a coward. :)

Second, it's late. If you don't mind, I should be online by 5pm cst or so, possibly earlier, tomorrow. We can get a fresh start then. Rest assured, I do not believe this "vulnerability" is a real threat. More than likely PSI has found old files that are not in use.

Third, using the link provided above, in Contents, click on 2 Testing Flash. Sorry that I didn't point out what I was looking at. Mozillazine is new to me also, I only use IE8 and don't know alot about other browsers. You'd be suprised how intelligent I appear after a couple of Google searches!

Quickly: What OS (Operating System) are you using?; Yes the NPAPI plugin is for FF, ActiveX is for IE7 & IE8.; Flash Player is what makes YouTube videos (among other things) work.; Your doing fine, we'll take care of this one step at a time.; As far as being famous, others who regularly montior this forum would likely use the term infamous!

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 8th Jan, 2010 12:29
Last edited on 8th Jan, 2010 14:29
Hello Fred and Barb ,

First let me tell you that we got snow as well , maybe more than an inch here , several nearby , brilliant !! :)) (Oh , and no barbs from me Fred !)

As a Firefox user I can confirm that the NOT OLD Flash folder contains only the files for the NPAPI plug-in for Firefox (and similar browsers) ; it appears to be up to date and should work fine .

You will need the ActiveX plug-in for IE and to display the pretty graph and things on the PSI "overview" page and run things messenger , so you might as well load the "up to date/patched" version (it will load into the same folder).

It would be useful to know what the other 5 files are in the "old" folder ; if they are just old Flash ActiveX files , then they are not critical to the computer and could go .

In CCleaner , you can deselect the "empty recycle bin" under "cleaner" / "windows" tab /"system" - untick box (as I'm sure you know) ; question is , do the other users ??

To delete the .ocx files means quitting and exiting (including the tray icon) all programmes that may use Flash ***- I'll leave that to you two , as my time zone is CET and so hours different .

Take care
Anthony

PS:*** David Bass Player and I discussed this particular problem at some length at the start of this thread (if that helps at all :))

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
drr45 RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 8th Jan, 2010 14:40
User Since: 22nd Sep 2009
I just received this fix from Secunia which took about 45 seconds to complete and it worked!

"Some Flash files can only be removed manually. In rare cases this can cause programs to malfunction. Removing Flash-files happens at your own risk. If you want to proceed anyway, you can do the following:

* In the PSI click on the entry of the Flash-file.
* Click on Technical details to see the Installation Path of the file.
* Remember the Installation Path and then close down the menu.
* Click Open Folder (right next to Technical details).
* Delete the Flash-file mentioned in the Installation Path.

If the PSI does not by itself detect the change, please do a complete system scan."

I had to do a complete scan but the program no longer shows up as insecure.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jan, 2010 00:17
Last edited on 9th Jan, 2010 00:18
Hello Fred,
I did my homework and this is what I found:
OS- WindowsXP
Test form above rec. site- looking under tools/add ons I saw Shock wave Flash 10.0.42.34 is enabled and it passed the test they recommended I do
Barb

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jan, 2010 01:36
Hello Anthony,
You are right, the Flash Player on FF is working properly;however, it continues to be flagged as insecure

As far as the Active X goes- I have updated it,from Secunia's link, yet it remains unchanged upon rescanning and still gets a insecure flag.

I am sure I need it on my computer. I have school aged children as well as one in college and they use the computer for school. Many times they are required to watch video on it and one takes a live physics class which probably uses it. So I really do not want to mess anything up. The goal here is to not have vulnerabilities on the computer because we are so dependent on it.

I read your dialog with David Bass Player- that is why I choose this thread to reply to. Between your' and thedillpickle's comments I felt confident I could get the guidance I needed.

I have concluded I must have flash running on something I am unaware of when I try to uninstall it because it always appears as if I did everything correctly yet I keep coming up insecure- maddening!!!!

I don't have a lot of tech knowledge- just what I have learned by getting rid of viruses and so forth so I very well may be messing up something everyone else just knows not to/or to do.
Thanks for your interest and your comments.
Barb
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 02:02
Hi Barb;

Late as usual! Am I in trouble?

I belive the first thing to try is moving the flashold folder to the Recycle Bin as we discussed earlier. Let me know when your done or if you need help. I will watch for you post, promise!

I'm pleased to hear you use XP. Vista & Win7 make me look dumb, but XP I know.

I'm also pleased to hear the "test" checked out OK. That means Flash is working in FF & is up to date. After we get rid of the "old" folder your insecurity should go away, then we can download Flash for IE8.

As to Anthony, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain (r. Wizard of Oz, pun intended) he is of no consequence. :)

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 02:16
Last edited on 9th Jan, 2010 02:21
Hi Anthony;

I'm certain the files in the "old" folder are someone or somethings attempt to preserve the outdated Flash folder for some reason. Barb is doing a remarkable job, despite her claim of being a novice, don't you think?

BTW, I've already complained to Maurice about our cold weather here. -15 deg. F tonight (Fri). Burrr!!!

How about donning your red shorts and having a dip in our lake? I would be happy to bust a hole in the ice for you.

Freezing to death;

Fred

p.s. I just looked, thats -26.1111111111111 to you guys!

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jan, 2010 04:06
Hi Fred,
No problem here. I live in the real world too- we can't always do what we want.
Sorry to her about your temp. That is way to cold for me!!

Thanks for the confidence. I think I appear to know more than I do because nothing seems to work that I try.

When I got to the old folder and select delete (I am refering to the file with the gears on it, is that right?), it says this is text only and asks if I am sure I want to delete it. When I select yes it pops up a box which says I can not delete Flsh 10b:, acess denied, make sure the disk is not full or write-proteceted and that the file is not in use. This happens even after I close everything in the tray ,except my internet security.I even opened up task manager and shut down the stuff in there. Do you think there is something running behind the scenes which uses it and that is why I can't delete or uninstall it?

Also, it occured to me to try to download the uninstaller through IE (FF is set to be my default browser). When I did so and then downloaded the uninstaller, saving it to the desk top and exiting all that I could think of which might be use it,I couldn't open it. When I tryed to open it from the desk top I got the message that windows could not open it because it did not know which program installed it . This is were I get lost because I have no idea what to do with the results of the live search results. I guessed to open it with Adobe 9.0r115 since that was the only Adpbe flash option. Maybe I don't even need to do any of that, I am just guessing.

Exactly which thing should I try to move to the recycle bin? There is a player plug in uninstaller there. Should I first open it?
Barb

PS my husband is curious if you are rooting for the Vickings.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 05:20
Hi Barb;

As advertised I'm still hear, be foreward though, not much of a night owl anymore. 12am is about when I turn pumpkinish. However I'm off Saturday with nowhere to go (glee).

You are working in C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flashold\ when you try to delete the "Flashold" folder, correct?

The file with the "gears" icon is indeed the file that FF "grabs". That may be the reason it won't delete. In the Flashold folder, the file it won't let you delete: Is it version 10.0.22.87 or 10.0.42.34? It would be odd if the old version (smaller #) is in use.

Please try to refrain from doing a bunch of things at one time. I understand your desire to get this over with, have patience. You should be able to use FF to view any videos required. Do let me know if it is imperative to run Flash on IE8 because of school. It will be easier to get rid of the "bug", then add stuff. I still believe your "vulnerability" is an old, unused, file.

Leave the plug-in uninstaller alone. It's to remove the plug-in for FF, that's working (remember, you tested it!). You are looking for the "gears" icon with the old version # (10.0.22.87). Hover the mouse pointer over the "FlashUtil10d.exe" or the "uninstall..." icon in the folder to see the version # and date created info. The "note pad" icon (install.log) is unimportant, ignore it. To view the version # of the "gears" icon, right click the icon, click on properties, click on the "Version" tab. All three files should have the same ver# and creation date. They should be in the Flashold folder & you should be able to delete all the files with the old ver#, including the "gears" one. Let me know what you find.

Fred

p.s. I'm gussing you know I'm in Missouri & the Vikings are from Minnasota. I have to admit that I don't even know who's in the Super Bowl this year. I used to be a fan, but too many rule changes and (pardon me) crappy players turned me off. If I had to pick a team I liked, it would be Green Bay. As far as I know they are still privately owned, I like that.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jan, 2010 05:59
Hi!
You could say I'm a bit of a puddinhead at this time on a Friday> Ido work tomorrow early so midnight is fine -if we can make it.
Yes I am working in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flashold location when trying to delete the Flashold folder.

It is version 10.0.22.87. I find it very odd that that is the version because I have "successfully installed 10.0.42.34 according to the Adobe download center. It was wondering if it is odd that when I look in the control panel under add remove programs and look for Flash Player I see the newer version and its plug in but the size section is blank. Is that weird?

I also think my vulnerability is an old version. We can use FF for school. We use a program called GP4 for Physics, and I think we will be fine. Any changes we make can be undone by a rollback in case of a major mistake I think. You begged me right- I don't have a lot of free tie so I do get in a rush to resolve issues with anything I percieve as apeoblem. I will pull back.

I I already did as you suggested while I was waiting to hear from you.
Since I have been trying things on my own I need to update you as to the contents of the folder. There are 6 things in the old (the one directly from the secunia insecure link to the location.
1.Flash 10b.ocx ActiveX version 10.0.22.87 description Adobe Flash Player 10.0r22
2. Flash util 10.0.22.87 description 10.0r22
3. NPSWFWF32_Flash Util.exe AFPH 10.0.r22
4. FLash Util 9.exe Adobe Flash Player Helper 9.0r159.0 version 9.0.159.0 descrition Adobe Flash Player Helper 9.0.r159
5. NP5WF32.dll
10.0.22.87 Shockwave Flash 10.0.r33
6. Uninstaller plugin.exe
version 10.0.22.87
All I have done is try to run the uninstaller, as mentioned earlier I had trouble and try to update from the Adobe website. I also update FF and IE.
I hope I didn't make things worse. Like I said I can slow done a wait. As you can see the note pad is gone ???
Barb
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jan, 2010 06:02
Last edited on 9th Jan, 2010 06:07
I just looked back at my earlier posts and saw the note book was under the finding from the without the old list.
Barb
ps I am a goober. I told my husband you were from the Viking state.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 06:10
Last edited on 9th Jan, 2010 06:15
Hi Barb;

FYI, I doubt anything you have done is harmful/unrecoverable. Give me a few to go over the new info you posted.

I don't work Sunday but will go to church in am and have an event to attend early pm. I will try my best to work within your schedule.

Fred

p.s. Crossed your recent post. That's OK, I understand that the Chiefs stink & the Rams should give up. That should get some nasty replies. :)

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jan, 2010 06:26
Fred,
My husband agrees 100% and is also a Packers fan.
I will be around Sat. afternoon. Sunday we attend church in the afternoon so we may miss each other but I will cool my jets as promised. I am all out of ideas and am suspecious I need an archived uninstaller or something like that. What do you think?
Barb
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 07:27
Last edited on 9th Jan, 2010 07:56
==========
Edit: I will look for you Sat. afternoon.
==========

Adobe Flash Player 10 NPAPI probably doesn't report its file size to Windows. My ActiveX version didn't. If you look, some others don't either.

You have installed the new version in C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\, the test you did proved that. What I need to figure out is why some program is using the old version in the Flashold folder.

Time to go to the heart of the matter. If you do not understand any of these instructions, ask first!

Click on the "Start" button, hover on "All Programs", hover on "Accessories", click on "Notepad". Copy & paste the directions below into the Notepad window, click on the "Format" tab and select "Word Wrap" so there is a check mark beside it.

Close all instances of all browsers. Disconnect from the Internet. Close all programs possible (the MS Security "shield" & the audio "speaker" icons are examples of some you can't close if present) in the system tray (the little icons in the line at the bottom), if there is an arrow thingie next to them, click on it to show hidden icons. Some programs like PSI & your security software may argue but exit anyhow. Right click the "Task Bar" and click on "Task Manager", click on the "Applications" tab, click on "End Task" for each application still running (hopefully none are there). Click on the "Start" button, hover on "All Programs", hover on "Accessories", click on "Windows Explorer", right click the "Address Bar" window (the white box to the right of the word "Address"), press the "backspace key". Copy between arrows: -> C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\ <- into the "Address Bar" and click on the "Go" button. Move the windows so as you can see the Recycle Bin icon. Right click and hold on the Flashold folder (make sure you grab the correct one) then drag and drop the folder into the Recycle Bin. If this fails to remove the folder, open the folder and grab the "gears" icon(s) and put it in the Recycle Bin.

If successful or if failed, the simple way to turn everything back "on" is to reboot. Click on the "Start" buttton, click on the red "Turn Off Computer" button, click on the green "Restart" button. After Windows gets through grinding up your hard drive & you get the internet connection back, post back with results. Don't rush and make mistakes. I will stay up late and wait for you.

Fred

p.s. Sorry about time lag, need to proofread and double check.

p.p.s. Boy, I sure wish I could just come over, this would probably take all of ten minutes. Too bad it is a two day drive!

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 13:35
Last edited on 9th Jan, 2010 14:07
Calling Barb and Fred ,

Hey you two , Real World here , American Football is not the real thing , you need to get into Rugby Football - Union or League - much better and none of the sissy padding and bike helmets !! (Fan of Riggins , Marino , Peyton and of course Montana , Lott and Rice :))

We still got snow and it's +32F here !! Brrr !!

FWIW , the NOT old folder only had NPAPI for FF in it when last checked/posted , so the ActiveX in use is likely to be that in the "old" folder .

All the files in the "old" folder are out of date and need to go ; none are critical to the computer , but are potentially vulnerable . The .ocx file is the difficult/critical one (you know that).

Add and Remove will not uninstall Flash correctly .

The Adobe "uninstaller" may work (better) if you remove the "old" from the folder ; it will also remove the NPAPI up to date folder .

By habit (as a minimum IE user) I download the "uninstaller" and new "installers" , both NPAPI and ActiveX , from the Adobe main website using Firefox in all cases . I download to my "program files" main folder (probably a bad habit) but downloading to "Desktop" works fine as well .

My feeble brain has a memory of a seecurity/malware programme also running Flash .

Definitely , I go with just one logical step (or sequence of) at a time .

Looking forward to the next Epistle .

Take care and may your god(s) go with you .
Anthony

PS: Red shorts packed , waiting for you to send 'plane ticket :))

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jan, 2010 20:12
Last edited on 9th Jan, 2010 20:25
Hey Fred!
I hope you did not wait up to late for me I only copied the info. and didn't read it till just now. Sorry.

Results: :(. I get the same message I always get when I try to remove the ".ocx_cannot delete Flash 10b.ocx: access denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that file is not currently in use."

I exited everything possible in the tray , even those that were hidden, as well as hit end program for the HP updates in the task manager box.

Do you think I could do this all in safe mode with better results? I am not sure what can run in safe mode. I only know about it because I had to scan in it when I had a heuristic virus once.

Is it posible for something to using .ocx whichwoould not show in the tray or the task manager?
Barb

P.S the man behind the curtain, the one with his red shorts packed :), thinks he remembers a virus which uses it. I have scanned my computer recently the Kaspersky and it can up clean. I do know there are things that can hide in your start up objects though so, I don't know maybe I should run a safe mode scan with all my settings raised. That takes for ever though so last option for me.

p.p.s. If only we lived in perfect world ...then you would be able to fix my computer. I suspect it would be longer than 10 minutes though. Ther very well may be malware on it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 20:46
Hi Anthony;

We are not so concerned about the IE ActiveX right now. They use FF to watch necessary vids and it's working. The above post should get rid of the "old" folder. The goal is to remove old files and allow uninterrupted service for the other users.

Here's how I update Flash for IE: Shut off everything (except the computer, of course), obliterate Adobe, reboot, go to http://get.adobe.com/jp/flashplayer/ and being careful to uncheck the free Google task bar (yuck), do a fresh install. This tends to cut down on unneeded hair pulling (not much left).

Is there anything Barb should know when it comes time to update the NPAPI plug-in? Your input on this will prevent me from having to actually read about it.

As far as Rugby v. American Football, back in the '60s & '70s, our flavor had much physicality, but still allowed a thinking quarterback & coach to find an advantage. Whereas Rugby players mostly just plow mud. Also, Americans had the common sense to wear helmets to help prevent concussion. The American Football today barely resembles that of when QB's such as Bart Starr & Joe Namath took the field. I agree that todays rules (in AF) are wimpy. (If this paragraph dosn't start a fight I don't know what will!)

The weather guy screwed up again. That's the only profession I know of where you can be wrong 50% of the time and still get a paycheck. It was only about -2 deg. F last night. Temps almost to freezing Sunday and sunny all weekend, yippie!

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 20:47

Hello Barb ,

Calling from behind the curtain , I actually meant security and malware protection programmes (not an actual virus) ; one of and I still cannot put a name to it yet .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 21:00
Last edited on 9th Jan, 2010 21:08
Fred ,

I'll need to think a bit before I reply to your questions .

I have one for you though , why is your link you posted showing the Adobe Firefox download/installer page in what seems to be Chinese (type characters) ??

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 21:01
Hi Barb;

Missed your post. I was eating a pot pie & writing above post to Anthony. Have you husband read the part about the football, see what he says.

Sorry my trick to kill Adobe didn't work. See if you can delete the other files in the old folder by droping them into the Recycle Bin.
I'm going to do a little research & experiment on my netbook (its the other computer! (get it? like - pork, the other white meat)).

If your safemode scan dosn't take more than an hour or two, go ahead. I will likely be awhile. Make sure the kids don't need the computer this afternoon. You will need to put your seatbelt on for this next step, I propose to visit MSDOS5.1 land. It's been awhile.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 21:07
Sorry my last post should have been addressed to Fred ; I'll edit it.

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 21:09
Anthony;

Quit talking behind my back!

If the scan dosn't take too long, I'd like her to try it. I'm not ruling out anything now. I've never heard of a virus or malware tying up the ocx file, but who knows?

BTW, funding not available for plane ticket. Passage on freighter by way of Shanghai possible.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 21:49
Last edited on 9th Jan, 2010 22:02
Fred ,

To update both NPAPI and ActiveX , I first consider that the "new" installers will remove the "older" version during the update . This still means that all the programmes that may use Flash are closed and quit , etc for the installer to do a proper job . NPAPI will be running in Firefox and not much else :)), unlike the ActiveX :((

To update both , I go here first (always in Firefox):-

http://www.adobe.com/

click on get Adobe Flash , which takes me here :-

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=BUIGP

YOu will notice it is in English and not Chinese (I'm no kidding about your link)

I uncheck the free McAfee scan then click "Agree and Install" . Firefox then shows that it has blocked the process , this is the the dreaded download manager which no body wants . So I close the message - do NOT agree it -using the x radio button end right of yellow message bar)
and click the new download message here :-

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/thankyou/xpi/?ins...

(I hope you can see these links in IE ). I then download/save , NOT run , the installer to where I want , close everything immagineable and run (the installer)

For IE , I go to the second link , select and click the (pale blue) link for a different OS or browser , select my OS from the dropdown menu , click continue and IE/Actvex installer is offered as first choice .
Click "agree and install and save where you choose .
Close everything and run .

NPAPI and ActiveX install in the same folder. They each have three files and the xpt and log files are common .

Why not install/update the ActiveX version to the existing (up to date) NPAPI file , unname the "old" file and then try and kill the out of date 10b.ocx when 10d.ocx is in place . Something windows may be blocking 10b for the moment , updating to 10d may unlock things or allow drag and drop to the bin .

Anthony

PS: been on that boat before , keep saving !

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jan, 2010 22:23
Fred,
Pot pie Yum!! I am having cheese and crackers.

My husband (Norm) is working on a Rocket Stove in the back today. Have you heard of them? He loves anything free and is attempting to invent a way to heat the basement with the heat from a outdoor stove (AKA rocket stove). It cracks me up. He is making a mess but hey, free fire wood (we never have to buy any)in a stove he made sounds good to me. I will show him the post when he comes in. I wish my daughter's boy friend was here to see the post about the sissy stuff. He plays college football. I'm sure he would like to respond :).

I tryed to remove other files the way you suggested.The results are- the only things I can't remove are the:
1.flash 10b.ocx activeX control
2.flash util9h.exe
3.flash util10b.exe

I restored the files that went in to the bin except I missed the uninstall plug in. I.m sure I can get it back later some how.

My scan takes HOURS because we have so many programs and saved documents, pictures etc. It sounds like Anthony didn't mean what I thought he did about malware so maybe I'm in the clear.

What do you think about a program running behind the scenes some where. Would I be able to see everything running in the tray or task manager or could there be a program running with out showing it's self. I think GP4 may always be running but it is not in the tray although sometimes it is.

How do you like the other computer (net book)? I've been thinking about getting one for my youngest. Lots of competition for the computer at my house you know.

p.s. what do you think about the possible neeed for an archived uninstaller from Adobe?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 22:24

Hello Barb ,

I have only replied to Fred so that you and he (when he's finished stuffing his face) decide on the steps to take .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 22:33

Hello Barb ,

I you want to know what you and any user is running on your PC , try Gabriel's programme (System Information for Windows) ;-

http://www.gtopala.com/

I use it , this shows different details :-

http://www.whatsrunning.net/

Both are free .

Anthony

PS: you are correct , no need to for Kaspersky just yet.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jan, 2010 22:38
Hello Anthony (AKA Mr. red shorts at my house although you may like the man behind the curtain better),
I saw on the thread that people have solved this problem by renaming the .ocx file. I tried this but I must not know how to do it correctly because it didn't help solve the problem. I tried doing that before I even posted to this thread so I, with my feeble brain, can not recall specific details as to the procedure I used or the exact results I got. I did restore the original name though. I think I just opened the properties folder and selected rename.
Barb

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jan, 2010 22:47
Anthony,
I will try the links now.
Thanks,
Barb
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 22:50
Last edited on 9th Jan, 2010 22:55
Barb ,

If the file is in use & there is no alternative , then renaming it is not going to help as you still can't kill it .

Best one step at a time decided by you and Fred .

If GP4 is a game it probably uses Flash Player or Shockwave or both. It might also explain the 9h immoveable file .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 22:59
Last edited on 9th Jan, 2010 23:04
@ Anthony; Link looks normal on my end, ???, have to check into it later. Not kidding about the slow boat from China though.

Hi Barb;

I like NY sharp cheddar, umm. Don't let the boyfriend get too mad as I have never played on a team. I just like to look. I was in the marching band (clarinet, if you must know, Anthony). Also tell Norm that I know people who have commercial built "out house" wood furnaces.

Well here's the plan. We are going to sneek up on this file, beat it up good, stuff it in the back of an unmarked van, and drive off (tires screeching).

When your ready let me know and I'll do nothing but watch for your post, if there would be a problem.

=======

Click on "Start" button, hover over "All Programs", hover over "Accessories", click on "Command Prompt". This will open a DOS window, it just looks dark & scary. I've got a flashlight.

The old school way is to put information I want you to use inside of these things, "<" and ">". So if I want you to type the word snow on the keyboard and then press the enter (return) key, I would say, "enter <snow>" . Simple, yes? Alright, here we go.

enter <cd..> , repeat until at root dir ( C:\> ), enter <cd windows\system32\macromed\flashold> , enter <dir> , you should see the Flash10b.ocx file listed.

enter <del flash10b.ocx>, enter <dir> . Is it gone? You can delete the other files now in the same way. Enter <del filename.ext> for each of the files listed. You can enter <dir> after each time to look, or delete all, then look.

If the directory is empty (ignore the . & .. directories if you see them), enter <cd..> one time, enter <rd flashold> , enter <dir> , you should only see the Flash directory, again, ignore . & .. drectories. Close the Command Prompt window and Restart Windows.

=======

I am desperate to know if this stupid file is gone, if not we shall try Anthonys way next.

with bated breath;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jan, 2010 23:07
Fred and Anthony,
I have downloaded both SIW and What's Running but I need help understanding what to do. There is a lot of info. on them and my knowledge base is limited. By the way, my security freaked out when I did the downloads. I'm sure you knew that would happen but I just want to make sure I am still ok here.
Barb
I guess you are both stuffing your face now. Maybe I should eat now too and check back later.
p.s. the rocket man (AKA Norm, my husband) is still messing around out back. I guess I will feed him too and then maybe he can read the rugby post.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jan, 2010 23:12
Last edited on 9th Jan, 2010 23:14
Fred,
You crack me up with the whole van thing but it sounds good to me. I will check back every 15 minutes to see when you are here and then I will go for it. I feel so adventurous and a little nervous but hey, like you said, that's how you learn.
Barb- the adventurer

p.s. my daughter has a lap top so I can always reach you- scary!!!- in case of trouble
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 23:17
OK, the dogs have been out and I have a tall drink of cranberry juice in hand. Go for it.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 23:25
Last edited on 9th Jan, 2010 23:39
Hi both,

It's actually my BeddyByes time ad Fred's "short" posts put me to sleep :o)

Check the proccesses tab on the top (left) of WR and little arrows show what's about & using CPU . Click on a programme*** and the pane on the right will supply more info.

ISW has a multitude of checks running down the left side , you will need to check a few to find what you need ; trial and error .

You are looking for either GP4 or something that links to Flash .

Make sure GP4 is shut and follow Fred.

I'll check back tomorrow.

Sorry I forgot that Kaspersky is always picky on these types of programme.

See ya and Bonne Chance
Anthony

Edit: For example , in WR click on PSI in the processes tab , in the opened right pane scroll down to modules click the + sign and the it will expand ; if you scroll down you will come to Flash10(something , d in my case).ocx .this also has a + sign for more info .

I know , tedious.

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jan, 2010 23:43
Fred and Anthony,
My husband says rugby is just another sport invented so a bunch of men can sit around and drink beer afterward and that right about now that sounds good.
Barb
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jan, 2010 23:47
Fred,
Grab your flashlight-here I go . I will post back asap.
Barb
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 23:50
Last edited on 10th Jan, 2010 00:21
Barb;

Never was much of a beer drinker. I do, however, enjoy a good belch and scratch.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jan, 2010 00:00
Fred,
I have a question. When you said to "repeat until at root dir (C:\). Does that mean I repeatedly type cd.. until something happens or do I repeatedly type .... ? I'm not sure what root dir is or would look like. Can you explain ? Sorry,
Barb
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jan, 2010 00:01
Fred,
you can go ahead with the gmail info.
Barb
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jan, 2010 00:10
Fred,
I am assuming I should exit out of all and end all tasks like usual right?
Barb
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 10th Jan, 2010 00:10
The root directory is the command prompt ( C:\> ) with no filepath afterward.

Just enter <cd..> and the last directory in the listing will be removed.

Example: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator> after you enter the letters ( c & d ) , two periods ( . & . ) and press the enter key, would become C:\Documents and Settings> . Then you would enter <cd..> again and would be left with C:\> .

Sorry, this is sooooo old I forget most don't know it.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 10th Jan, 2010 00:16
Last edited on 10th Jan, 2010 00:22
Barb;

I may respond slow & post after you already posted new info. This is due to my stupid dial-up connection. Just don't get confused if we cross post. I'll try to be as fast as my fat fingers will let me type.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jan, 2010 00:19
Fred,
got it
Barb
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 10th Jan, 2010 00:20
Are you "talking" to me on the other computer? I trust Secunia's site but am cautious to recomend that you shut down Kapersky while on the internet. You may close all other programs.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jan, 2010 00:26
Fred,
I turn Kaspersky back on before I post and then turn it off to do what you suggest since it does not use the internet.

I will be trying sneak up on the files again now. I will post back ASAP.
Barb
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jan, 2010 00:50
Fred,
Sorry it took me so long. Kaspersky started a root kit scan and I thought I should wait for it to stop before preceding. The results: :( I can not believe it but it denied me access.

Do you have any idea I keep getting denied access? Seems slike I should get a message to end programs if it were the results of it being used but I guess it isn't that smart.
Barb
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jan, 2010 00:56
Fred,
I just noticed my posting date says Jan 10 and of course it is still the 9th. Do you think that means anything/
Barb
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 10th Jan, 2010 00:57
stand by please

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 10th Jan, 2010 01:15
Last edited on 10th Jan, 2010 01:17
I believe the post date & time while looking at a thread are GMT. If you have entered your time zone in the Secunia Profile tab above, the time shown on the All Threads page should be correct.

You said that you have used Safe Mode before? If you have, reboot, press F8, select Safe Mode Command Prompt, redo the procedure in above post. Nothing should be using that file in Safe Mode.

Fred

p.s. If you like e-mail me your phone, I can call anywhere in US. This will go faster. I don't give out #s and don't call people unless they want me to.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jan, 2010 01:24
Fred,
You read my mind. I was thinking a phone call would be helpful. I will email you my number. First i will try the safe mode route.
Barb
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jan, 2010 01:47
Fred,
:( the trial in safe mode gave me the same results. Is it important to note the following information was there: volume in drive C is HP_Pavilion Volume serial number is E 089-923F? I am staring to wonder if I need to contact HP or Microsoft to ask if there is some good reason I keep getting denied access to the file. Well, I guess if it works for others I should be fine too.

I will send my number now. \
Thanks,
Barb
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 10th Jan, 2010 11:59
I am very surprised U cannot remove individual files after a reboot.

Try this & take the frustration out of the issue.

REMOVING STUBBORN FILES (INCLUDING ACTIVEX)
This tool has only be tested using the XP OS. It does not work with Windows 7.

Install & retain a magic tool called MoveOnBoot. The programme is registered with PSI so U can track it for vulnerabilities.

The download link is here:
http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.h...

Like any "freebie" programme U install watch out for the "elephant traps" to scan or download other unwanted rubbish on the web page. Look for, & install from this link only on the web page.

File Size
0.5MB

File Name
moveonb.msi

[Click here to Download]

Once installed it works flawlessly in the background giving U the additional option to navigate to ANY FILE (not folder) and, on the RIGHT click of the mouse select DELETE OR MOVE A FILE ON NEXT BOOT.

U need to select DELETE A FILE ON NEXT BOOT for these files

1.flash 10b.ocx activeX control
2.flash util9h.exe
3.flash util10b.exe

Reboot & bingo no more hassle

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++

10:56 10/01/2010

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 10th Jan, 2010 14:18
Last edited on 10th Jan, 2010 14:19
Hello Maurice .

I was about to suggest they try FileASSASIN which is in the tools section of Malwarebytes'AntiMalware , but your suggested software looks to be a much better option ; I've downloaded my copy for future reference .

Maybe Adobe should make them an offer they can't refuse and incorporate them :))

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jan, 2010 16:19
Hello Maurice and Anthony,
Fred talked me through downloading a handy application called Unlock Assist (the icon is a little wand). With that tool I was able to reach a 100% rating from Secunia :). I'm going to have to change my screen name now- the frustration has effectively been taken out Maurice.
I am still going to download the Move on Boot though, sounds handy.

My next project is to clean up my daughter's lap top. Two days ago she had a 100% rating from Secunia but now the menacing Active X has reared it's ugly head. I think it likes us!

I have learned a lot from all you guys. Thanks for helping us have maore secure computers.

Fred (I am sure you are reading this :)),
So far so go. Everything seems to be working in tip top shape. I will probably take out the trash in a couple of days, if not sooner. Thanks for your help and your humor- it made a frustrating problem turn into an adventure. Talk to you soon.
Barb
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 10th Jan, 2010 16:28
Last edited on 11th Jan, 2010 02:37
Hi Anthony, Maurice & whom it may concern;

Short on time, but wish to put this thread out of its misery. Excuse grammar & typos, no time to proofread.

Got in touch w/ Barb by phone ( you remember? the things we used before e mail) to expedite, so this serves to fill in what happened.

Thanks to above for input. I found a popular file zapper (Unlocker Assistant) on Cnet, download & test on my machine. Other than pasting a link to Ebay on my desktop w/ out premission, preliminary test seem positive.

After direction to Cnet download, Barb & I had disscussion about advantage of using & risks. She was a trooper and took off with it. Program work fine & delete offending ocx. We then went through the process of tracking down other insecure files w/ PSI and dealt wuth. Barb is now 100%!

A note to those following the foray into DOS land. Evidently you can not get to the DOS underlayment of XP as you could in 98. It has been years since I tried this. You used to be able to get past windows crap & do stuff to files. ATTRIB -R would not remove the read only attribute of Flash10b.ocx. Whatever, thanks MS for making stuff safer (harder?) for me!!!!!

RANT WARNING

I've still got a {486 machine with MSDOS 5.1 & WIN 98} (I did double check those ver. #s & edit) and what ever the current Wordperfect was then. I could floppy boot DSL (sorry: thats Darn Small Linux) for an internet connection if this new fangled crap dosn't work out!

Done ranting & must go.

regards to all;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 10th Jan, 2010 16:33
I thought it was not fixed hence I gave U MoveOnBoot. Just be careful how U use it. It deletes direct - no second chance via Recycle Bin.

Moving ActiveX is easy & should not require the use of any 3rd party programme.

REMOVING ACTIVEX
=================
The traditional method to remove ActiveX is:

* * * Windows XP
++++++++++++++++

Launch the command prompt from accessories in the programs list or go to Start>run> and insert CMD in the box that appears.
type: cd c:\windows\downloaded program files
press enter
type: dir
press enter
find the correct file in the list
type: del <name of correct file without these braces>
press enter
type: exit
press enter

* * * Vista
+++++++++++

Open Start/Search
type "Command Prompt" into the search window
A Command Prompt icon will display
Right click on it
select "Run as administrator"
type: cd c:\windows\downloaded program files
press enter
type: dir
press enter
find the correct file in the list
type: del <name of correct file without these braces>
press enter
type: exit
press enter

15:29 10/01/2010

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 10th Jan, 2010 16:34
Barb;

Gotta run, but...

Great to see you are cofortable on forum now.

If you change your user name how will we know its you?

Please start a new thread for the next job. This one is so big it takes me an hour to download on dialup. Don't worry, we'll find you.

see ya;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 10th Jan, 2010 16:38
@ Maurice;

MoveOnBoot looks fun, will play later.

Unlocker Assistant much the same way, no second chance. Used as last resort.

F

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 10th Jan, 2010 17:01

Great news , Barb :))

I think you should now sign in as "Barb the Brave" !!

The Rocket Man is only partly correct as it was a thirsty English Public School boy(s) (private fee paying schools , to you) who invented Rugby , the beer bit is spot on :))

I guess the daughter's computer probably has caught ActiveX as her boyfriend wears sissy clothes on the sporting field :(

Glad you asked about repeats and <cd's> etc , for a moment I thought I had to load some clarinet music on my HiFi system ; my niece plays the flute .

I too get free international calls (paid for in my broadband package) , so much easier and more communicative than emails and laborious typing . You can always change your number if you tire of Fred's jokes :))

Don't hesitate to ask if you need more help.

Take care
Anthony (red shorts behind the curtain)

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 11th Jan, 2010 02:41
Har de har har!

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th Jan, 2010 22:41

Hello Fred ,

What kind of language is that , is it Basic ??

Around the same time as your Atari saw light I took a software programming course ; convinced me to become a devout "non-techie" for ever and always :))

Mention DOS and command lines and my brain becomes (comfortably) numb !!

Keep on pushing the envelope (cheaper than buying stamps)!!

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 12th Jan, 2010 04:07
Anthony;

This was my first real computer that you could actually do stuff with. It had a crude version of a Drive Op Sys that controlled both a floppy & cassette drive. It also came with a simple version of Basic. Both were on chip, which made the programs I wrote run reasonably fast. They took forever (even by that days standard) to load off tape so I spent about $80 US (w/ inflation, like $200 today or so it seems) for a floppy drive. That was about half what the computer cost! I'm estimating, of course. It also had an Atari cartridge port on top and two joy sticks. That's why I really bought the thing (don't tell my Mom). I had carts for Frogger, Centipede, Asteroids and it came with Pong. Video quality & control was much superior to the Atari game deck. I/it was real popular with the neighbors until I had to replace the joy sticks (twice), then I was not so popular. A couple of guys even made reference to my lineage!

But, alas, like a first love, my Atari is a sweet, fond memory now. Gone forever into the abyss of an ill-spent youth. I think I traded the thing for a tank of gas (petro) and a case of Heineken (beer). Wish I had it back now, a working one is worth big $$$$$. Also had a big, black Yamaha Maxim 750 and longer (+more) hair too. (sigh)

BTW, I took some evening classes and learned Basic (I forget the version) and Cobol on the schools frame. Then, with my first i386 IBM PC (almost went with Apple XL, weird?), I was self taught coding in C, later C++. I never got very good at it, probably gave up too easy. But hey, it's more fun cursing programmers than being one.

Oh well, as they say, "On to bigger and better things!".

Vrooom, vrooom;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 13th Jan, 2010 00:52

Hello Fred ,

The first computer I played with was a Honeywell Mainframe with a high speed rotating drum/barrel under a gold tinted glass pannel. We used it for trying to predict random events (with an incredibly poor success rate :((

The second was a digital/analogue mish mash which was quite/suprisingly good at critical path analysis and predicting chemical formula activity .

They each filled several rooms and were controlled (?) by white coated specialists !! We got to play - great fun :)

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Helva RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 22nd Jan, 2010 04:24
User Since: 10th Feb 2008
I'm having the same problem with Adobe and Sun Java. I completely uninstalled all their programs & installed the latest versions, but Secunia still says they're insecure. It also says I need to update IE 6, which isn't even installed on my pc. I just got my pc last month with Windows 7 & IE8. There's a definite glitch in Secunia!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 22nd Jan, 2010 09:52
What paths does PSI give U to the vulnerabilities?

FINDING A VULNERABILITY FILE PATH
=================================

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, use or switch to the ADVANCED interface, then :

1 Click on the + sign of the programme to "expand' it.
2 Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file. (Copy (CTRL+C) & paste (CTRL+V) the Installation Path of the file back to the Forum if U are unsure what to do next).

08:45 22/01/2010

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
maretilda2009 RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 22nd Jan, 2010 11:50
User Since: 17th May 2009
Thats the same for me, I have update this program many times but still the same answer It is insecure.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 23rd Jan, 2010 02:41
Hi Helva & maretilda2009;

Most of the information posted above may not be relevant to your situation. Maurice Joyce is quite capable of helping you sort this out. Please provide him with the info he requests.

regards;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
trfour RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 23rd Jan, 2010 04:16
User Since: 1st Aug 2009
I am having the very same problem. I waited until adobe came out with the big patch, then the next day I uninstalled the new version; 10.0.42.34 and reinstalled it. I'm still getting the insecure warning even after rescanning. ??????????? HELP!!!!

trfour
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 23rd Jan, 2010 20:10

The last big patch was for Adobe Acrobat and Reader , followed by a Shockwave update .

If you cannot find the answer in this thread for your Flash Player problem , whose latest version is numbered 10.0.42.34. has been available for some time , then post the details that Maurice Joyce has asked for (above on 22/01/2010) and someone will advise you .

Hope that helps.
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
trfour RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 24th Jan, 2010 01:18
User Since: 1st Aug 2009
Last edited on 24th Jan, 2010 01:33

This thread should give you the fix; http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/122...

I was pulling my hair out with this very same problem until Maurice put it into prospective. Maurice pointed out that the only way to remove an older insecure adobe Fash player, is to download the uninsaller from Aaobe's website. Worked like a charm.

Hope this helps you too.

Terry
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Pacificoastent RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 10th Feb, 2010 21:29
User Since: 9th Feb 2010
Suggest you download 11.5 from Adobe and uninstall 10.x. That worked for me.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 10th Feb, 2010 21:35
Last edited on 10th Feb, 2010 21:41
@Pacificoastent

This thread is on Adobe Flash Player which is at version 10.0.42.34 (non Beta) for both ActiveX and NPAPI versions .

Adobe Shockwave PLayer is at version 11.5.6.606 for both. Shockwave version 11 allows backward compatability with Shockwave version 10 for some Games , websites still using it ; PSI shows Shockwave 10 as "end of life" .

Take care
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
pook RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 24th Feb, 2010 23:44
User Since: 13th Jul 2008
After reading and re-reading this thread I was able to understand what should be done as I have been having the same problem with Adobe Flasher Player after Secunia updated it to version 10.0.45.2. I thought everything should have been fixed but for some reason (which I now, beleive to be the fact; that I did not exit the secunia PSI program before running the installation update), I too kept getting PSI to show me that I still had 2 insecure versions installed 10.0.32.

I clicked on the PSI tab that took me to the directory which showed me both the 10.0.32 and the updated 10.0.45 files but I was unwilling to delete the 10.0.32 for FEAR that it might cause further problems; until I examined this thread.

I simply followed the fix of deleting the 10.0.32. file, clicked the X at the top right corner of the page, chose exit on the PSI program and then re-booted for an extra measure.

My system is back to the 100% that I like to keep it at and I think I've come away with a little bit more knowledge than I started out with!

Thank you all for your input.

Pookno
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 25th Feb, 2010 18:52

Well done Pookno , glad you are up to date :))

You were very brave to read this wandering thread once , never mind twice or more !!

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
pook RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 26th Feb, 2010 00:50
User Since: 13th Jul 2008
Perhaps if I was more computer savy; I would not have had to read through twice.

The opportunity to read through these threads is a real BONUS for me. My wife is a DBA but she is usually too busy and expects me to figure things out.

This community full of a lot of knowledge!

Again, thank you for your insight and ideas.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
a_beth RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 26th Feb, 2010 22:25
User Since: 26th Feb 2010
Last edited on 26th Feb, 2010 22:27
How i fixed this adobeflashshit problem.

-after several weeks not beeing able to fix this in psi, I:
-extended information about the threat by clicking the + at the left of it on the insecure program side.
-found there you need to total exit secunia psi by rightclicking in the psi icon downleft on your display then exit it.
-saw where the flash files were laying by holding pointer over the folder icon on the vulnerability info in insecure program page in secunia psi.
-opened all these folders, and both did run both flash player uninstaller and flash plugin uninstaller. then deleting the remaining files which may be flash10b.ocx, flash10d.ocx and others. the folders differs if its 32 bit or 64 bit.
-going to adobe flash player site on web and running installer. Installed the newest flash player.
-everything fixed. no more flash vulnerabilities showing up in psi.
-checked flash version running on adobe site. Last running.
-other ways to fix this to, but i did it like this.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 27th Feb, 2010 10:54
Last edited on 27th Feb, 2010 10:58
Hello a_beth ,

Good to hear you found your fix :))

FYI , The v10 Flash installers have their own "previous version" uninstallers within them ; so if you follow your rules of closing and exiting PSI and any other programmes that use Flash (in reality all and every programme you can "safely" exit ), the "new" installer does the whole job in a Flash (cross fingers and smile nicely - it is Windows vs Adobe after all) :)) A reboot and full scan may or may not be needed .

Closing everything before you install any new software is always good practice ; the install wizards tell you to close any running programmes before they start , suggesting this may avoid the need for a system restart . Exiting via hte tray icon makes doubly sure of this .

M$/Windows updates definitely do need a reboot & full scan , as far as PSI is concerned .

The way Adobe .ocx files are scheduled for removal , a reboot for PSI purposes may be necessary .

Hope you find this helpful.
Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Quicksilver84 RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 27th Feb, 2010 16:26
User Since: 13th May 2009
Last edited on 27th Feb, 2010 23:42
DELETED, WRONG THREAD. APOLOGIES.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Esther M Strom RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 27th Feb, 2010 20:09
User Since: 21st Dec 2008
I've tried almost every suggestion in this thread. I've run the Adobe uninstaller, and even completely deleted the c:\windows\system32\Macromed folder, which is where Secunia is saying Flash is installed. I've rebooted my system and run a full scan of my C drive. I haven't reinstalled Flash yet, so as of now the c:\windows\system32\Macromed DOES NOT EXIST on my machine. And yet Secunia is still telling me that the file is there and that it's insecure. When I click on the Open Folder link, it doesn't do anything, because of course the folder doesn't exist. WHY is this still happening? I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to not trust Secunia at all, which kind of defeats the purpose.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mgloege RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 27th Feb, 2010 21:02
User Since: 6th Apr 2008
Actually the latest version is 10.0.45.2

Matt
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mgloege RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 27th Feb, 2010 21:03
User Since: 6th Apr 2008
Actually the latest version is 10.0.45.2

Matt
Was this reply relevant?
+0
SidcupSilverSurfer RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 8th Mar, 2010 13:53
User Since: 11th Mar 2009
I have the latest version mentioned but am having the same problem as everyone else here.

I exit PSI and run the downloaded programme but Adobe Player 10 still shows as being insecure.

If I uninstall the whole folder, download the newest version from Adobe, will it make any difference. Has anyone done this recently please.

WS
Was this reply relevant?
+0
SidcupSilverSurfer RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 8th Mar, 2010 13:56
User Since: 11th Mar 2009
p.s.

I have both Flash 10e.ocx and 10d.ocx in the Flash folders
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Dedicated Contributor 8th Mar, 2010 15:53
Score: 1208
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
You need to run the Adobe uninstaller to be sure that all previous versions of the Flash Player are removed.

Download the uninstaller from this site:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Close all browsers.
Shut down Secunia by right clicking the Secunia tray icon and clicking Exit.
Run the uninstaller.
Select the 'Show Details' button in the uninstaller. If there are any entries showing 'Delete on Reboot', you need to restart your computer.
Install Flash Player for the browsers you use.

--
This answer is provided as-is. You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
SidcupSS RE: Adobe Flash Player 10.x
Member 8th Mar, 2010 17:01
User Since: 10th Aug 2009
I have downloaded and done as you suggest before but have not rebooted.

Will try what you suggest once more later.

Many thanks.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Mar, 2010 17:04
Forget my last message. Have just taken a proper look at the download file and of course find it is a different one to that downloaded via Secunia.

Thanks again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Mar, 2010 11:49
Followed your instructions and they worked like a charm.

Many thanks.

SSS
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability