Forum Thread: XP home edition and IE8. Secure or insecure?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
OSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
whaler XP home edition and IE8. Secure or insecure?
Member 9th Dec, 2009 01:26
Ranking: 0
User Since: 25th May, 2009
System Score: N/A
I turned on my computer and apparently overnight XP home edition and IE8 became cat. 4 threats. Both have direct links to the update page at Microsoft, but whether I check express or custom there's no patch for either one. Why is Secunia listing them as insecure with a fix when Microsoft is apparently unaware of the problem and definitely has no fix? This is on both of my computers so it's not a glitch on my end. Anybody else seeing this?

Mr2Sticks RE: XP home edition and IE8. Secure or insecure?
Member 9th Dec, 2009 07:13
Score: 0
User Since: 9th Dec 2009
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Mr2Sticks RE: XP home edition and IE8. Secure or insecure?
Member 11th Dec, 2009 03:17
User Since: 9th Dec 2009
The "problem" seems to have been resolved. Secunia now reports no insecurities (after updating Adobe Flash).
Was this reply relevant?
+0
whaler RE: XP home edition and IE8. Secure or insecure?
Member 23rd Dec, 2009 06:30
User Since: 25th May 2009
Last edited on 23rd Dec, 2009 06:33
I meant to thank you (Mr. Sticks)for your responses. As it happened I was getting the 2 security warnings when I began typing this thread. I read your first response and I thought "there must be a less complicated solution to this." by the time I saw your second response I still had 2 warnings but they were not for XP and IE8 anymore. They had changed into macromedia flash player. I can't understand how secunia made this error. There were no vulnerabilities in either program but there were in flash player. I don't know exactly how long they were listed, less than 24 hours, but they suddenly changed as I said. I thank you for both responses and I'm left to wonder how many people had this same experience. I am very grateful for secunia, and now I know that even they can make errors.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.