Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Secunia Settings and more

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
IFLATLINEI Secunia Settings and more
Member 18th Dec, 2009 00:45
Ranking: 0
User Since: 15th Dec, 2009
System Score: N/A
Ive been using this program for about a week now and I like it. Two things that really annoy me. First is by default this program loads upon startup and for some reason insists on using Firefox even though my default browser is IE8.

I solved the first problem easily by clicking on advanced and unchecking the two boxes for start on boot and enable program monitoring. Thing is that people who develop software like this I feel think most people need constant monitoring. Maybe they do but my problem is that these same people are running in most cases more processes than their computers can handle efficiently. When this happens their computers then become less secure and trying to use a computer in this state becomes flat out frustrating. This isnt good. Not in my opinion anyways. There is nothing wrong with opening up Secunia and running a scan once a week manually. The scan seems rather quick So its not to be a huge inconvienence.

Now about Firefox. I seem to have a problem ive been unable to solve and it makes my IT friends look at me wierd when i try to explain it to them but for some reason no matter how many times I download Firefox even though I select English the program still has some buttons in German. I dont hate Explorer enough to try to find out the reason why this kept happening and Googles Chrome Browser has become a favorite over Firefox anyways but I dont understand why Secunia keeps using Firefox. As I stated IE8 is still my default browser. There doesnt seem to be a way to set this up in Secunias Settings and needs to be addressed. Please let me know if it may be something I can change.

thedillpickl RE: Secunia Settings and more
Contributor 18th Dec, 2009 04:18
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi IFLATLINEI;

First, PSI is minimalist when not doing a scan. It sits in the background and monitors changes to the installed programs. As far as I know, it only checks for updates when doing a scan (it trasmits/receives to/from Secunia). I have not noticed any drain on system resources. It's ment to be "on" all the time.

Second, I was not aware PSI could even open a browser. Hopfully someone will come along soon that has understanding of this behavior.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Secunia Settings and more
Expert Contributor 18th Dec, 2009 14:26
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

This thread may shed some light on the browser selection problem , you'll need to read right through :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/219...

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
IFLATLINEI RE: Secunia Settings and more
Member 19th Dec, 2009 20:54
Score: 0
User Since: 15th Dec 2009
Thanks for replies and information. Your right it doesnt consume any CPU cycles after its scan. NICE!! Also thanks for the browser info. I thinks whats going to happen atleast for the time being is that Googles Chrome browser is going to be my default browser. Im liking it alot so I deleted Firefox.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Secunia Settings and more
Contributor 20th Dec, 2009 01:33
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Just a follow up;

So as not to appear totally stupid, let me say in my defence that I only have IE8 for a browser. It never even occured to me that download (or other) links and even this forum are displayed in my browser. Sometimes you get so used to something being there you forget about it. Sort of the forest for the trees thing.

Anyhow my face is red :-D, please forgive me!

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability