Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: insecure browsing

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
OSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
specialk insecure browsing
Member 19th Dec, 2009 20:07
Ranking: 0
User Since: 22nd Nov, 2009
System Score: N/A
According to my Securnia scanner IU have browser problems.The one of most concern is micro SOFT windows EXPLORER 8 and it states no solution. If i delete the program what do I replace it with? I am thinking of going with windows 7 is that Vista which I do not want or what are the alternatives.
Other problem areas Adobe Flash player10.x,Adobe reader9.x and MSCOMCTL.Again sine Secunia says there is no solution and I delete these items do I need replace them and if so with what?Adobe flash player is a recurring problem is there a alternate flash player that is secure.

IFLATLINEI RE: insecure browsing
Member 19th Dec, 2009 21:01
Score: 0
User Since: 15th Dec 2009
Last edited on 19th Dec, 2009 21:01
You could try deleting IE8 and reinstalling. You can also try these other browsers like Googles Chrome, Opera, Firefox, just to name a few. Ill refrain from making one suggestion because its best to try them all and decide which is best for you.

The Flash player problem is easily solved by going directly to their site and downloaing their tool for deleting Flash Player. http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html Once its deleted you can reinstall the latest which will satisfy Secunia.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: insecure browsing
Expert Contributor 19th Dec, 2009 22:43
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
on 19th Dec, 2009 20:07, specialk wrote:
According to my Securnia scanner IU have browser problems.The one of most concern is micro SOFT windows EXPLORER 8 and it states no solution. If i delete the program what do I replace it with? I am thinking of going with windows 7 is that Vista which I do not want or what are the alternatives.
Other problem areas Adobe Flash player10.x,Adobe reader9.x and MSCOMCTL.Again sine Secunia says there is no solution and I delete these items do I need replace them and if so with what?Adobe flash player is a recurring problem is there a alternate flash player that is secure.

I cannot delete IE8 as it is an integral component of Vista. The threat noted in it need not be too much of a problem, providing safe browsing methods are practised.
You can still retain IE ( keep it as a spare/"back-up"). You can have more than one browser in use.I use Chrome as my default browser but still have settings for Secunia in IE8.
Foxit Reader is a good alternative for Adobe Reader, and takes up a lot less space.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: insecure browsing
Handling Contributor 19th Dec, 2009 23:49
Score: 11563
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
If U are referring to the insecure browsing element of IE8 it is a minor issue that has been around since 2007.

@MOGS is correct. U cannot delete IE from any version of Windows. It is embedded. Delete IE & U break Windows.

What U can do, after careful reading, is remove/uninstall a version of IE.

Details are here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

22:48 19/12/2009

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Dec, 2009 02:07
Last edited on 24th Dec, 2009 02:16
LOL Sure you can delete IE8. Its in there under Programs and Features then clicking on Turn Windows Features On or Off. After deleting you will be rolled back to IE7. This does not break Windows.

Not trying to argue with you guys but I never said Delete IE. I said IE8. I have IE8 on my PC and Secunia has no problem with it. So in my mind im thinking delete and reinstall. Im sure your right about what would happen if you deleted IE as a whole. But I couldnt even begin to figure out where or how I would go about doing that. But many of us know how to delete versions of IE. Wasnt it a common practice with IE7. I seem to remember 7 not being so good and a few times after update things just didnt seem to work very well. The solution was a delete and reinstall.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: insecure browsing
Handling Contributor 24th Dec, 2009 11:01
Score: 11563
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 24th Dec, 2009 11:03
It is your wording that is incorrect & could confuse people. IE is embedded.

U can uninstalled or remove a version & it it will roll back to the previous version.

If U DELETE IE (8)(7)(6) U must enter the registry & remove the embedded files. That will break Windows.

Your post tells people to DELETE IE8 & install IE7. What U really mean is to UNINSTALL IE8 & it will roll back. My link to Microsoft tells U how that is achieved.

@MOGS is making the same point.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Dec, 2009 22:32

My wording was fine with one exception. I should have added Version to IE8. So it should have read Delete IE Version 8. Maybe I dunno. Fact is that it would never occur to me that "The Embedded IE" Could be deleted So I still fail to understand why you guys keep saying that. WHO DELETES INTERNET EXPLORER AND BREAKS THEIR COMPUTER???? Its unheard of and nothing in my posts directs anyone to delete an "Embedded Application" I just got done asking 15 people on my messenegr what they would do if I told them to delete IE* and they all described exactly the steps in my other post.

U can uninstalled or remove a version & it it will roll back to the previous version.

I already stated that plus everyone savy enough seeking Software like Secunia would understand this.

If U DELETE IE (8)(7)(6) U must enter the registry & remove the embedded files. That will break Windows.

Why would anyone do this? Who would know how to do this? Who in gods name would even think of doing this? Its mad and again I fail to understand where you read this in my posts or anything even remotely related

Your post tells people to DELETE IE8 & install IE7. What U really mean is to UNINSTALL IE8 & it will roll back. My link to Microsoft tells U how that is achieved.

No my post never said to DELETE IE8 and install IE7. I know what I meant beause I posted it. Read and please find where I said "Install IE7" ? My posts said to delete IE8 and reinstall. Now how you assumed install IE7 from that I dunno. IE7 wasnt even discussed so therefore it would have been only correct to assume to reinstall IE8.

IN CONCLUSION: Deleting IE 8 (Not the whole embedded application! Satisfied?) and then reinstalling IE8 ( No need to worry about falling back to IE7 For long! Satisfied?) will solve this problem. As a matter of fact many issues relating to IE8 will and can be solved in the same way.

Someone lock this thread its like a bad imitation opf the TwilightZone. Copying and pasting this in my tech help section of my website is getting quite the laughs though thanks for that guys.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
meintower RE: insecure browsing
Member 31st Dec, 2009 04:13
User Since: 18th Feb 2009
System Score: 98%
Last edited on 31st Dec, 2009 14:03
!

--
meintower
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 31st Dec, 2009 14:00
Last edited on 31st Dec, 2009 14:02
on 25th Dec, 2009 22:32, IFLATLINEI wrote:

Someone lock this thread its like a bad imitation opf the TwilightZone. Copying and pasting this in my tech help section of my website is getting quite the laughs though thanks for that guys.

Well,well,why are you so bitter and sarcastic! On Christmas ? Calm down,Maurice was only trying to help...I wish you a HAPPY AND SERENE NEW YEAR!

--
meintower
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 31st Dec, 2009 20:59
Not being sarcastic and im definetly not bitter. I was smiling and chuckling through this thread as it developed into the Twilight Zone. I hold no ill feelings toward anyone here but yeah my comment was a bit of a jab I guess. Im no computer expert and from the looks of it theres maybe just a handfull here if that at all. Most are just advanced users trying to help out less advanced users. Ive learned from my mistake though. I only posted here to help because I knew I could help and there werent any responses at that time that would help the poster. Next time Ill get what I need and leave.

P.S. Thank you and Happy New Year to you and everyone else here!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Jan, 2010 11:43
Last edited on 1st Jan, 2010 13:31
Thank you for taking time to answer!So kind of you in these hurry-hurry (holi)days!You'll see if you'll stay around that this is a very nice forum,friendly ,peaceful and yet IT-savvy... It is something positive in the air here...So,stay with us!See ya!

--
meintower
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability