xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 cannot be successfull...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
OSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
rorschach64 Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 cannot be successfully installed
Member 27th Dec, 2009 14:29
Ranking: 1
User Since: 27th Dec, 2009
System Score: N/A
I keep receiving this error message when my Microsoft Updates are installed. Can I just remove all of the Framework including the installed .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 or do I have to go into the Registry as the solution that is suggested by Microsoft? How at risk is my computer?

mogs RE: Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 cannot be successfully installed
Expert Contributor 27th Dec, 2009 20:26
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
on 27th Dec, 2009 14:29, rorschach64 wrote:
I keep receiving this error message when my Microsoft Updates are installed. Can I just remove all of the Framework including the installed .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 or do I have to go into the Registry as the solution that is suggested by Microsoft? How at risk is my computer?

Hello. Welcome. Could it be that your operating system is not up to date?
I'm running Vista Home Premium....Service Pack 2 with .NET Framework 2.0.50727.4016 and .NET Framework 3.0.4506.4037 versions installed.
If you are running XP I think you should have Service Pack 3, to be up to date.
You do not say that you have run a Secunia scan....only the result/message from an MS Update scan.
If you switch to the Advanced interface in Secunia:(top right); you will be able to gain more information. Any queries and you can always return to the forum with them.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 cannot be successfully installed
Handling Contributor 27th Dec, 2009 23:05
Score: 11792
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
I hope this helps you. Just be a wee bit careful with .Net issues.

.NET FRAMEWORK PROBLEMS
=======================

A bit of background information worth knowing before trying to fix .NET issues with Windows XP & Vista.

1. .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 are all side-by-side versions that can be installed and uninstalled without affecting the others. This means that if you are running into an issue in .NET Framework 2.0, for example, you do not necessarily need to remove .NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1 in addition to removing 2.0.

2. .NET Framework 3.0 is an add-on that requires .NET Framework 2.0 to be present as a prerequisite. If you have .NET Framework 3.0 installed, you will not be allowed to uninstall .NET Framework 2.0 until you first uninstall .NET Framework 3.0.

3. .NET Framework 3.5 is an add-on that requires .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 and .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 to be present as prerequisites. If you have .NET Framework 3.5 installed, you will not be allowed to uninstall .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 or 2.0 SP1 until you first uninstall .NET Framework 3.5.

4. .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is an add-on that requires .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 to be present as prerequisites. If you have .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed, you will not be allowed to uninstall .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 or 2.0 SP2 until you first uninstall .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

.NET 1 & 1.1 are very old & it is highly unlikely U will have a programme that "calls" on it to work. It can be safely uninstalled in the knowledge that if it is later required they can be re installed as Standalone items.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++

If you are having trouble installing .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5, I recommend trying to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. It will install .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2 behind the scenes, and these versions contain additional fixes not in the original 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5 releases. Plus, 3.5 SP1 will automatically uninstall any older versions of 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5 that are on your system, so you can save some time by not trying to install a version of .NET Framework that 3.5 SP1 is going to uninstall during its install process.

Link is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?fa...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++

The latest versions for the different types of OS are:

Windows XP: V3.0.4506.2152
Windows Vista: V3.0.4506.4037
Windows 7: V3.0.4506.4926 - be VERY careful - .Net is embedded in the OS.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
rorschach64 RE: Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 cannot be successfully installed
Member 27th Dec, 2009 23:06
Score: 1
User Since: 27th Dec 2009
Thank you Mogs for replying. I have run scans on both Secunia and Microsoft Update and I get the error messages on both. Under my Add/Remove programs I have a number of old .NET framework installations. It looks like the last one that installed was MS .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. I can't go beyond that because the error message I keep getting refers to Frtamework 1.1 SP1. When I go to Microsoft for help they give instructions to go into the Registry which I am afraid to do. Any ideas? Thank you again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 cannot be successfully installed
Expert Contributor 28th Dec, 2009 14:59
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
I can't give you any further help regarding the issue, other than to be guided by Maurice's expertise and advice.
From my reading of it, it would seem you should be able to remove the version causing the error and retain the most recent, thereby making it unnecessary perhaps, to go into the Registry.
If you reply to Maurice's post on the matter, I'm sure he will help you progress with it.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 cannot be successfully installed
Handling Contributor 28th Dec, 2009 20:58
@MOGS

U are correct. U should be able to fix 1.1 as a standalone issue with XP & Vista

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
rorschach64 RE: Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 cannot be successfully installed
Member 28th Dec, 2009 22:03
Thanks to both of you. I tried to remove MS .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 and got the following message "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed". (There is no size of the file next to it on the add/remove screen.) When I try to remove the other one -- .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886903) I get a message that says "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the windows installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch." I can't go any farther after both of these messages. I have XP home edition. Thanks.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 28th Dec, 2009 22:16
OK - try this tool:

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
=======================

If a programme is installed using Windows Installer it can be removed by using the Microsoft Cleanup Utility.

Download it from here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Once downloaded, open the programme & scroll up & down looking for the programme U wish to uninstall.

If found,highlight it & click the remove button (bottom right)

Reboot.

All should now be OK.

21:16 28/12/2009

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Dec, 2009 22:40
Interesting.. It doesn't show up on the list. .NET 2, 3, and 3.5 are there, but not 1.1
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Handling Contributor 28th Dec, 2009 23:29
OK - I will do a few more tests on my "test PC" to see if I can offer more ideas.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Jan, 2010 21:21
Happy New Year! My challenge begins anew. I was wondering what might happen if I uninstalled ALL of the MS .NET Frameworks 2,3 and 3.5 and then reinstalled the 3.5. I think there are only fragments of the 1.1 on the system as there is no file size in the add/remove page but it does show up there.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 2nd Jan, 2010 21:43
There is a last resort but read the details before embarking on the action described.

NET FRAMEWORK CLEANUP TOOL FOR XP & VISTA

The link to a .Net Framework Clean Up Tool is here:

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/12/02/uni...

Please read carefully - U may not wish to embark on this action

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Jan, 2010 00:58
Thank you for all your help. Grrrrr... I feel like it is a choice in being vulnerable from the outside or self-destructing. Again, thank you.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer