Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: netscape navigator

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
mysavanna netscape navigator
Member 2nd Jan, 2010 16:02
Ranking: 0
User Since: 2nd Jan, 2010
System Score: N/A
i did the solution process for netscape navigator and rescaned secunia but the netscape keeps coming back it is for netscape 9.06 what is the solution to get it off other than removing netscape 9 alltogether

Anthony Wells RE: netscape navigator
Expert Contributor 2nd Jan, 2010 16:52
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello ,

As a new member of the forum , to help resolve your problem , here are some instructions to help you first of all get the best out of PSI :-

1)use PSI in "advanced" mode ;
2)in the "settings" tab make sure that the box in the first/upper section is NOT ticked in order to have the maximum info available ;
3)tell us in which "tab(s)" your problem programme is located ;
4)in that tab , click on the + in the box at the left end of the programme , the page will expand ;
5)in the expanded page , tell us what is written in the "installation path" ;
6)in the "toolbox" section , lower down , the link "technical details" should confirm the installation path details ;
7)click on the link "open folder" and you will see more details concerning the location of the "problem" .

Posting these details will help the Forum help you , if/when you have a problem .

If you are correctly updated to version 9.0.0.6 then what is PSI reporting and in which tab ?? , it may have found an old file .

As I understand that Netscape is no longer supported and so may develop vulnerabilities , have you considered migrating to a "similar" browser such as Firefox ; this link may interest you , if you have not already seen it :-

http://browser.netscape.com/

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: netscape navigator
Expert Contributor 2nd Jan, 2010 17:09
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
on 2nd Jan, 2010 16:02, mysavanna wrote:
i did the solution process for netscape navigator and rescaned secunia but the netscape keeps coming back it is for netscape 9.06 what is the solution to get it off other than removing netscape 9 alltogether

Welcome. Happy New Year.
I'm not familiar with Netscape Navigator; but from what I can see, version 9.0.0.6 is the updated ? It "sounds" as tho' Secunia may be detecting the older version, or an old file still, which hasn't been removed perhaps.
If you switch to the Advanced Secunia interface, you will be able to get more details/info.....click on the + sign alongside the program entry/insecurity and it will expand. Then you can click on Tech. Details to confirm the file path. You'll be able to return to the forum with that additional information, if needs be.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: netscape navigator
Expert Contributor 2nd Jan, 2010 17:12
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Happy New Year Anthony !!!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: netscape navigator
Handling Contributor 3rd Jan, 2010 01:24
Score: 11726
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
AOL stopped development of the Netscape browser in February 2008 so is no longer officially supported.

More details are here:

http://browser.netscape.com/ns8/

Sadly this means U have little or no chance of knowing if vulnerabilities exist now or in the future.

Although your choice, the only real safe bet is to uninstall Netscape & use IE or another browser.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: netscape navigator
Contributor 3rd Jan, 2010 02:01
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Hi mysavanna;

Wikipedia gives a fairly detailed report on Netscape Navigator at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netscape_Navigator .

It states that AOL carved up Navigator and sold it, "Netscape was the base for Mozilla Firefox and parts are used in Google Chrome.". However, they did "security updates... extended until 1 March 2008, when AOL canceled technical support...". Also they "yet permits user-downloading of archived versions of the Netscape Navigator web browser family."

regards;

Fred

p.s. @Maurice: Happy & prosperous New Year! I know, I'm a day late.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability