Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Can't find gp.ocx files

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Reader 8.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
aforgiven1 Can't find gp.ocx files
Member 3rd Jan, 2010 05:51
Ranking: 0
User Since: 3rd Jan, 2010
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 3rd Jan, 2010 05:54

2 days a go I got a Trojan downloader virus in my computer from Face Book, so I immediatly ran an ultra deep scan with Zone Alarm Pro, and then a registry cleaner called Advanced System Care. Both said everything was fine when they were done, but when I went to upgrade to Adobe 9, I got an error message stating that it couldn't find the path to gp.ocx, "no files". So then I thought, I'll restore my PC back 3 days, hoping that would put everything back, but alas, my system restore wouldn't work either because it said I didn't turn off my anti-virus, but I did! I tried Sys Rest 3 times! No go! So then I took Adobe out, everything,including Flashplayer 10, thinking that I would try to download it again, but it just wouldn't download because it can't find this gp.ocx file anywhere. I even tried going into Command Prompt, but can't find it there either.(Probably because I don't really know what I'm looking for or doing!) I know the virus may have corrupted something and might still be in my computer! I run IE8, Vista 64 bit, Windows 7. I'm not real computer saavy, as you may have guessed, please help me!!
Thank you so much.

Maurice Joyce RE: Can't find gp.ocx files
Handling Contributor 3rd Jan, 2010 09:49
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
gp.ocx is a process belonging to the getPlus(R) programme from NOS Microsystems Ltd. It is a totally useless download manager that Adobe have gifted to the IT World.

Go to add/remove - can U see any entry for an ADOBE DOWNLOAD MANAGER or anything that says NOS or GET PLUS?

If so remove them and reboot.

Now run PSI - are the any vulnerabilities showing?

What U have not said is how U think your Trojan is linked to this problem.

Which programme told U that U had a Trojan?

Is your current Adobe 8 the free Adobe Reader? Did PSI tell U it was vulnerable?

How did U remove the Adobe products? Did U use add/remove,a third party uninstaller or the proper tool issued by Adobe?

08:48 03/01/2010

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
aforgiven1 RE: Can't find gp.ocx files
Member 3rd Jan, 2010 13:45
Score: 0
User Since: 3rd Jan 2010
Last edited on 3rd Jan, 2010 13:47
uhh, what's PSI mean? I had read somewhere that you can't remove Adobe by the usual method, that you have to install something to uninstall it... so I uninstalled it that way, but then I installed the Adobe Manager, so I'll go uninstall that. What do you suggest I run instead of Adobe? As far as the Trojan Downloader causing this problem, I just figured it was, I could be wrong... I HOPE I'm wrong!
Thank you.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 3rd Jan, 2010 15:49
Last edited on 3rd Jan, 2010 15:51
I hope U are using PSI in the advanced mode which gives the best possible warnings of vulnerabilities. U may be using OSI?

If U want PSI install it from here:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/

U want the centre download option marked Personal Desktop.

Adobe Reader.
=============

When Adobe free PDF Reader is downloaded it also installs the following programmes:

1. Adobe.com
2. Adobe Air (It has a Flash element)
3. A Google Toolbar if U do not opt out at the download stage.

These additional elements are not required to make Adobe Reader work therefore if U do not use or know what they do go to Control Panel>add/remove & uninstall them.

If U only use Adobe Reader to read web pages or email attachments U do not have to use Adobe Reader either. The Adobe Reader link splattered all over the web saying "To read this article U require Adobe Reader" is utter nonsense. U really require a suitable PDF reader.

Under these circumstance there are far faster, smaller by download size (Adobe is 35.7MB - Foxit 5.04MB) & more secure free alternatives.

If your choice is still to use Adobe Reader U should refer to this update site:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp...
This site gives the latest downloads & explains the rather odd way Adobe conduct their update business.

U may also find another programme in add/remove called Adobe Download Manager. The vendor is NOS systems. It is not required to successfully download any Adobe product & can be safely removed.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +
ALTERNATIVE READERS
===================
The most popular appears to be Foxit - details here:
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/
If U do decide to use Foxit Reader I would strongly advise U use the CUSTOM install. Using this method gives U the opportunity to prevent the following additional "bits" being installed:

Desktop Shortcut
Quick Launch Bar
Firefox Plug In
Ask.com
Shortcut to Ebay.
Despite your best efforts U may well find a Foxit Toolbar has been installed. This can be checked & removed by a visit to Control Panel>add/remove.

More readers are available here:
http://pdfreaders.org/

14:47 03/01/2010

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
aforgiven1 RE: Can't find gp.ocx files
Member 4th Jan, 2010 02:14
User Since: 3rd Jan 2010
Thank you so much Maurice for your info and your help, but I finally figured it out and it's all fixed, my computers back to normal.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Jan, 2010 02:47
Good to hear. Happy New Year.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
k0dpw RE: Can't find gp.ocx files
Member 19th Jan, 2010 09:55
User Since: 19th Jan 2010
So what did you figure out, can you be specific; I am having the same problems as you opened up this thread with.

First, while on Facebook, I got an alert to upgrade to the latest Adobe Flash Player when I clicked on an mp3 file link I had posted on Facebook, which should not even require Adobe Flash Player to play, any standard audio player should handle it and had been handling it prior to the alert message.

Problem is, I already HAD the LATEST Adobe Flash Player (10, and latest release of 10) installed.

A few days later (yesterday), every time I tried to link to web pages from a certain server,

http://propagation.hfradio.org/

either link from Facebook, or from a fresh browser (IE8, XP Rro), ALL open IE pages would lock up and freeze, including IE windows not connected to browsing Facebbook or the problem site -- at first this site would work at first, then lock up, now it locks up immediately.

I contacted the site owner, and he said his stuff was OK, he was also using XP Pro IE8, and no other users of his sites had reported problems.
He also suggested surfing pages on his site that did not use Adobe Flash Player to see if those pages worked OK, THEY DID, but pages using Adobe Flash Player DID NOT.

Since we were using the same browser an operating system, he suggested the problem might be my version of Adobe Flash Player being obsolete and to upate it. I WAS ON THE LASTEST VERSION. But, I tried to re-install anyhow, deleting the version I had and re-install from scratch.

Now I get the same lacking "gp.ocx" file when attempting to download Adobe Flash Player for re-installation.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 19th Jan, 2010 10:08
UPDATING ADOBE FLASH
====================

Adobe have not fully mastered(unlike many other vendors) the art of stopping elements of a programme (Flash in this instance) from working prior to an install of a new version. The result is that an "in use" flash ocx file will not be uninstalled. Nor, have they widely publicised the fact that they do not support removal of older versions by using Control Panel>Add/Remove or other 3rd party uninstallers.

Advanced users just need to install the new version(s),then find the old OCX file & zap it.

Others may wish to take a longer route to successfully remove a vulnerability from Adobe Flash you should:

1. Download & use the Flash Uninstaller from here:

#####Before actually running the uninstaller it is a good idea to close all browsers,PSI and any other programme U think may be using Flash #####

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

2. Reboot to clear out any left over ocx files.

3. Rescan using PSI - if there are any insecure Flash elements left what is the path to them? U should not proceed to stage 4 until all U clear any problems found.(The PSI overview page may look a little odd because it uses Flash for the pictorials)

Note: At this stage,if PSI finds any elements of Flash in the C:\i386 folder or on any drive other than C that is an OEM reinstallation partition (normally D drive) or a drive U use solely to backup your work U can safely create an ignore rule. It may also be in the Recycle Bin.

4. Reinstall the latest Internet Explorer Flash Player from here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/ (I strongly advise U not to select the Beta version unless an advanced user). The latest stable & secure version is: 10.0.42.34

4A.If U are also using Firefox, Opera and other Gecko-based browsers U need this link as well:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_fire... (Again, I strongly advise U select the stable & secure version: 10.0.42.34)
Security.
Adobe also have a very bad habit of changing your Flash settings each time they plug vulnerabilities. To change the security settings to your liking & regain control of your PC click here:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en...

Bloat ware.
If you used the Adobe site, rather than FileHippo to update you will also find they try or have installed an unnecessary Download Manager.

It is bloat ware by a third party Company called NOS. If found I would uninstall it via Add/Remove.

09:04 19/01/2010

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jan, 2010 10:09
Should also mention I also use Zone Alarm Pro Suite automatic, plus I use F-Secure online scan and Norton Scans on demand, and none of these packages can find ANY malware, etc.

Sometimes, over the last few weeks, occassionaly when I click on "My Computer", I get a screen that "appears" to come from Zone Alarm Pro Suite saying my system is infected with various Trojan malware in various folders, and pretends to have automatically initiated a system scan.

If you let this run its course, it turns out to be some advertizing gimmick that tries to get me to buy additional security software.

When I do a "forced" Zone Alarm Pro Suite FULL system scan, as well as F-Secure and Norton, none of them can find any infections at all.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jan, 2010 11:26
Thanks for all your help.

I have recovered to the extent of getting the stable version 10.0.42.34 of Adobe Flash Player back on my system by installing from your hippofiles link, after deleting all the NOS & Adobe Downloader stuff.

As soon as it was re-installed, this problem site mentioned above has gone back to its behaviour of locking up the browser as soon as I surf to it; other pages on the site that don't use Adobe Flash Player seem to work OK.

Adobe Flash Player works OK for all other net sites / pages.

Zone Alarm Pro Suite would not let me download and use Secunia PSI, complaining that it was not written to terminate activity properly in the system, and "sleep" waiting on remote commands in the future to potentially execute malware ???

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 19th Jan, 2010 12:25
Something odd going on there. U might like to try Malwarebytes to have another look at your PC.

Programme is here:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Can't find gp.ocx files
Expert Contributor 19th Jan, 2010 17:28
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 19th Jan, 2010 17:32
FWIW , I also use Zone Alarm , but I have Avira AntiVir and MalwareBytes' AM as on on demand "back up" scanners and I find that adding in SuperAntiSpyware covers pretty much all Malware situations :-

http://www.superantispyware.com/

Some malware try to prevent you installing A/M scanners.

Let us know how you get on .

Anthony

PS : none of the programmes running ("on demand" only)mentioned clash with ZA Security Suite on my system .

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+