Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Cannot complete download from Apple's site to my computer

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Apple
And, this specific program:
Apple iTunes 9.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
suzy67 Cannot complete download from Apple's site to my computer
Member 4th Jan, 2010 05:17
Ranking: 1
User Since: 27th Jul, 2009
System Score: 100%
I ran scan with Secunia and iTunes 4 is on my machine and needs patched with current version:iTunes 9.2. I elected to download and ran the software from Apple. After it was done downloading to my machine, it froze up and never asked to install. My processor just keeps grinding away...so I closed Secunia and came to forum to see if anyone knows what I should do now...should I try to download and install again or what?

--
Susan C. aka Suzy67

HP Pavilion 751n Desktop
Windows XP Pro/1 GB RAM-80 GB Hard Drive
Google Chrome /IE8/Opera/Firefox (all current)
ClamAV/MBAM/WinPatrol/PCTools Firewall Plus

Acer One Aspire
Windows 7 Home Edition/1GB RAM-250GB Hard Drive
Google Chrome (current Beta version) /IE9/Firefox/Opera (all current)
Microsoft Security Essentials/WinPatrol/MBAM

CR-48 Chromebook/Chrome OS/16 GB SSD-1 GB RAM/Pilot Program participant/Beta channel (current Beta version of Google Chrome browser) No need for security software-built-in

michaelsalis RE: Cannot complete download from Apple's site to my computer
Member 4th Jan, 2010 11:13
Score: 57
User Since: 18th Feb 2009
System Score: 98%
hi

What sort of internet connection do you have?

At home I have fast broadband provided by BT and have no problem however, I am away from home at the moment and have to use a broadband dongle and have the problem you describe. I do have access to the wifi connection at my place of work and when I download iTunes via that there is no problem.

Perhaps your internet connection is a little slow for the update to download properly? If so do you have access to a faster connection, you could try that instead.

Michael

--
Michael
Toshiba Satelite A660
Intel i7
Windows 7 Ultimate
IE9

Toshiba Equium Laptop
Intel Centrino Duo
Windows Vista Ultimate SP2
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+0
suzy67 RE: Cannot complete download from Apple's site to my computer
Member 5th Jan, 2010 04:31
Score: 1
User Since: 27th Jul 2009
Last edited on 7th Jan, 2010 07:02
Hi Michael:
Thanks for replying to my problem...I actually have an ok internet connection! It is thru Verizon (in US) and I guess it would be characterized as broadband...its called FIOS...fiber optic something or other! I believe the speed is 10M/2M...does that makes sense to you? I have a constant connection thru a router. Does that help you?

I don't know what could be causing this problem. I almost hate to try again. Actually, iTunes is on this computer because it belonged to my son who is now 27yrs.old. (He gave it to me in 2006.) I really don't have much use for it anyways! Maybe I should just uninstall and if I ever have a great need, I can always install later, right? I have Real Player, too. Is that similar? Also,Quicktime. Aren't the both of them enough to do the same thing iTunes would do for me? (as you can tell, I don't have much experience with downloading music from the internet:)

Maybe you can clear up something else for me. I downloaded Adobe Flash Player 10.0.42.34. What is the big problem with uninstalling the old Flash and why do I need to do it before I download the newer version? What about Adobe Reader? I updated to 9.2 the same day and I thought I saw in the download that it uninstalled version 8 for me? Know anything about there 2 programs?

Thanks again,
Susan
HP Pavilion 751n
1.8 GHZ//256MB DDR SDRAM
(an oldie!)
Windows XP Professional
Service Pk 3
IE8

--
Susan C. aka Suzy67

HP Pavilion 751n Desktop

Acer One Aspire

CR-48 Chromebook/Chrome OS/16 GB SSD-1 GB RAM/Pilot Program participant/Beta channel (current Beta version of Google Chrome browser) No need for security software-built-in
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jan, 2010 10:00
Last edited on 6th Jan, 2010 10:08
hi Susan

Thanks for the additional information, I'm an oldie too!!!

The internet connection you have is as good as or better than most of us obtain in the uk so that would appear not to be the problem. Quicktime the associated video player is similar to Real Player, i guess you chose which you want to use, I'm not sure if both players play identical types of file so it would be best for you to decide if you want both or uninstall one or the other depending on how you use them.

Perhaps it would be best if you completely uninstall whichever version of iTunes is on your computer and if you want to use iTunes to do a clean install of the latest version, from the Apple websilte. It is usually not a problem and Quicktime will install with the latest version when you do so, if that is what you want to do.

You can uninstall iTunes via the Control Panel in Windows or you can use an uninstaller program like Revo Uninstaller which is quite a good way of doing it. You can download Revo from this link:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

iTunes is good for playing music and keeping your music files on but if you don't want it the Microsoft Media Centre will play most of the music you have. iTunes itself is free you only have to pay for any music you download, quicktime is the free version unless you pay for the "pro" version, if you already have the pro version make a note of the registration key and re-enter it in the latest version if you need to. Download iTunes form this link to the Apple website:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/

iTunes is a music player and Quicktime is basically a Video player so they do not do the same thing although iTunes would normally be used in conjunction with an ipod in it's various forms.

Adobe is a can of worms at the moment and lots of people have problems with it. I am not an expert but there has been plenty written about it on here. Rather than try to explain it I will find a suitable thread on the forum and paste a link for you in another post when I've had chance to look properly. I am working nights at the moment and am writing this on my return from work so I will have a look for a thread a little later today when I am more wide awake.

I hope I've explained everything in a way you can understand, if not let me know.

Best wishes.

Michael

--
Michael
Toshiba Satelite A660
Intel i7
Windows 7 Ultimate
IE9

Toshiba Equium Laptop
Intel Centrino Duo
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jan, 2010 07:01
Last edited on 7th Jan, 2010 07:04
Hello again Michael from UK!

Thanks for your quick response again. I now have a better grasp on the three programs-iTunes, Quicktime, and Real Player. You made it very clear in easy to understand terms!

I think I will just uninstall iTunes and later try to install the newest version. I'm going to use that Revo Installer like you suggested. I will write when I complete the task.

I am anxious to see what you have to give me about Adobe Flash and Reader so I am going to go for now and connect to that thread.

Thank you!
"Talk" soon...
Yours,
Susan

HP pavilion 751n desktop
Windows XP Prof.
SP3
IE8

p.s. How do I edit the info on the sidebar so I can put my location in???

--
Susan C. aka Suzy67

HP Pavilion 751n Desktop

Acer One Aspire

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jan, 2010 07:07
Last edited on 7th Jan, 2010 07:11
on 7th Jan, 2010 07:01, suzy67 wrote:
Hello again Michael from UK!

Thanks for your quick response again. I now have a better grasp on the three programs-iTunes, Quicktime, and Real Player. You made it very clear in easy to understand terms!

I think I will just uninstall iTunes and later try to install the newest version. I'm going to use that Revo Installer like you suggested. I will write when I complete the task.

I am anxious to see what you have to give me about Adobe Flash and Reader so I am going to go for now and connect to that thread.

Thank you!
"Talk" soon...
Yours,
Susan

HP pavilion 751n desktop
Windows XP Prof.
SP3
IE8

p.s. How do I edit the info on the sidebar so I can put my location in???

I don't know what I did here! I think I clicked the Quote tab. What's that for anyways? And, I probably confused you. Now there are 2 identical responses from me except the form of the letter-the words are the same. Also, I make reference to viewing another thread from you about Adobe...I had an e-mail alert from sEcunia saying I had 2 messages from you, but it seems lilke it's just this thread here??? Bye again.

--
Susan C. aka Suzy67

HP Pavilion 751n Desktop

Acer One Aspire

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jan, 2010 09:47
hi Susan

Pleased you have managed to work out what you want to do and found Revo helpful. Sorry for the delay I became involved in work matters yesterday and did not have chance to look for the thread, it is from sometime ago and i have not been able to find the exact thread I was referring to which is a pity.

However, I have found another thread which you may find useful, look out for any posts made by Maurice Joyce, you will find him more helpful and informative than most of the rest of us.

Have a look at this thread by clicking the link below:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/244...

If it does not help in the way that is useful to you please get back and let me know and I will look further.

As regards Adobe PDF Reader, if you only use it for reading PDF files and do not have a paid for version of Adobe it is suggested that you uninstall it and consider downloading Foxit Reader, it is a much smaller program, does not include all the extra software you probably will not ever use and is currently much more secure than Adobe. Just be careful not to choose to instal the Foxit Toolbar which is an addition to Foxit from Ask (formerly Ask Jeeves), just uncheck the appropriate box when given the choice.

You can download it from the link below:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_foxit/

On that page at the top right hand corner you will see the opportunity to download a free update checker from Filehippo, this is a useful program, it scans your computer to see what software you have installed and lets you know if there is an updated version of it. It does not give details of every single program but usually most of the ones many of us use. It is different to Secunia psi as it will advise you of new versions whatever the reason for the update whereas psi advises you of new versions purely for security/patching vunerabilities. It will keep you upto date with the programs it reports on.

I hope this is useful for you, please get back if there is anything further you need/wish to know.

Michael

--
Michael
Toshiba Satelite A660
Intel i7
Windows 7 Ultimate
IE9

Toshiba Equium Laptop
Intel Centrino Duo
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jan, 2010 09:53
hi again

Sorry I missed your final point until after I had made my last post.

If you want to edit the info on the left hand side of Forum posts click on Secunia Profile in the blue bar above next to where it says Forum with an Orange/Brown background. This will take you to where to can edit/set up your details.

Michael

--
Michael
Toshiba Satelite A660
Intel i7
Windows 7 Ultimate
IE9

Toshiba Equium Laptop
Intel Centrino Duo
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Cannot complete download from Apple's site to my computer
Handling Contributor 7th Jan, 2010 11:10
Score: 11711
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
System Score: N/A
Susan & Michael

Happy New Year to U both. I hope U find these two updated post helpful in solving the Adobe issues.

UPDATING ADOBE FLASH
====================

Adobe have not fully mastered(unlike many other vendors) the art of stopping elements of a programme (Flash in this instance) from working prior to an install of a new version. The result is that an "in use" flash ocx file will not be uninstalled. Nor, have they widely publicised the fact that they do not support removal of older versions by using Control Panel>Add/Remove or other 3rd party uninstallers.

Advanced users just need to install the new version(s),then find the old OCX file & zap it.

Others may wish to take a longer route to successfully remove a vulnerability from Adobe Flash you should:

1. Download & use the Flash Uninstaller from here:

#####Before actually running the uninstaller it is a good idea to close all browsers,PSI and any other programme U think may be using Flash #####

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

2. Reboot to clear out any left over ocx files.

3. Rescan using PSI - if there are any insecure Flash elements left what is the path to them? U should not proceed to stage 4 until all U clear any problems found.(The PSI overview page may look a little odd because it uses Flash for the pictorials)

Note: At this stage,if PSI finds any elements of Flash in the C:\i386 folder or on any drive other than C that is an OEM reinstallation partition (normally D drive) or a drive U use solely to backup your work U can safely create an ignore rule. It may also be in the Recycle Bin.

4. Reinstall the latest Internet Explorer Flash Player from here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/ (I strongly advise U not to select the Beta version unless an advanced user). The latest stable & secure version is: 10.0.42.34

4A.If U are also using Firefox, Opera and other Gecko-based browsers U need this link as well:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_fire... (Again, I strongly advise U select the stable & secure version: 10.0.42.34)
Security.
Adobe also have a very bad habit of changing your Flash settings each time they plug vulnerabilities. To change the security settings to your liking & regain control of your PC click here:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en...

Bloat ware.
If you used the Adobe site, rather than FileHippo to update you will also find they try or have installed an unnecessary Download Manager.

It is bloat ware by a third party Company called NOS. If found I would uninstall it via Add/Remove.

10:06 07/01/2010

Adobe Reader.
=============

When Adobe free PDF Reader is downloaded it also installs the following programmes:

1. Adobe.com
2. Adobe Air (It has a Flash element)
3. A Google Toolbar if U do not opt out at the download stage.

These additional elements are not required to make Adobe Reader work therefore if U do not use or know what they do go to Control Panel>add/remove & uninstall them.

If U only use Adobe Reader to read web pages or email attachments U do not have to use Adobe Reader either. The Adobe Reader link splattered all over the web saying "To read this article U require Adobe Reader" is utter nonsense. U really require a suitable PDF reader.

Under these circumstance there are far faster, smaller by download size (Adobe is 35.7MB - Foxit 5.04MB) & more secure free alternatives.

If your choice is still to use Adobe Reader U should refer to this update site:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp...
This site gives the latest downloads & explains the rather odd way Adobe conduct their update business.

U may also find another programme in add/remove called Adobe Download Manager. The vendor is NOS systems. It is not required to successfully download any Adobe product & can be safely removed.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +
ALTERNATIVE READERS
===================
The most popular appears to be Foxit - details here:
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/
If U do decide to use Foxit Reader I would strongly advise U use the CUSTOM install. Using this method gives U the opportunity to prevent the following additional "bits" being installed:

Desktop Shortcut
Quick Launch Bar
Firefox Plug In
Ask.com
Shortcut to Ebay.
Despite your best efforts U may well find a Foxit Toolbar has been installed. This can be checked & removed by a visit to Control Panel>add/remove.

More readers are available here:
http://pdfreaders.org/

10:05 07/01/2010

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Cannot complete download from Apple's site to my computer
Contributor 8th Jan, 2010 04:34
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
on 7th Jan, 2010 07:07, suzy67 wrote:
I don't know what I did here! I think I clicked the Quote tab. What's that for anyways? ...

Hi suzy67;

The quote button is occasionally handy, to save you the trouble of retyping or doing a right click copy/paste, to point out what someone has already posted. Just as I emboldened the word occasionally above. See the "Formatting your text" info, just above the Reply button.

Over use of these features is annoying, proper use is helpful. As I have done, you may edit what is in the quote to remove what is not necessary. Remember, the easier your post is to read, the better the response will be.

Fred

p.s. Hi Michael, Maurice.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Jan, 2010 05:47
Last edited on 8th Jan, 2010 05:57
Hi Susan, Maurice and Fred

Maurice thank you for your good wishes which and I wish you the same.

Thanks for the above post which I am sure Susan will find helpful and it saves me looking for the thread I was hoping to find. It was the one where you helped a lady with a number of programs including Flash where you also gave her instructions on editing/removing registry entries, I thought that one would be more helpful than some of the others.

Susan it may be an idea to copy the above post by Maurice and save it as a Word doc on your computer for future use, saves coming back to ask a similar question the next time we have to sort out Adobe ;-) If there is anything further you need to know about anything please come back and I'm sure Maurice and Fred will be happy to help in addtion to anything I can do. There are a couple of other people here who are helpful, I don't remember everybody but Anthony Wells, Yo Kenny and a WR also help a great deal.

Michael

--
Michael
Toshiba Satelite A660
Intel i7
Windows 7 Ultimate
IE9

Toshiba Equium Laptop
Intel Centrino Duo
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 02:54
Michael points out many of the likely suspects dosn't he? Failing to mention he is one of them, of course! :)

@Michael; If not already sent to you by me, the best 2010 to you!

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jan, 2010 06:07
To All of you guys:Micheal, Maurice and Fred...You all are really great to take your personal time to help me. I truly appreciate all of the information I have been given and I have learned alot of new and useful "stuff"!

I don't really have a great need for Adobe Reader so I am going to give that Foxit a try that Maurice recommended. I haven't done anything yet about either programs (Flash and Reader), as I have been a bit under the weather and just haven't been "into" it.

As soon as I do everything on my computer, I shall update you all. I appreciate your kindness and willingness to share your knowlege with others.

By the way, the last scan I did with Secunia actually said I had a 95 percent score. Is that good? But then it still listed 4 security patches needed?? I am going to scan again to see if I got this right!
Thanks again. I'll be back soon...

--
Susan C. aka Suzy67

HP Pavilion 751n Desktop

Acer One Aspire

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 09:50
Susan,
You appear to be doing very well. Just follow the scripts for Adobe Flash & Reader & that will be to more monsters repaired. If U find any more horrors just give us the paths where the problem is. 100% fix is guaranteed.

FINDING A VULNERABILITY FILE PATH
=================================

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, use or switch to the ADVANCED interface, then :

1 Click on the + sign of the programme to "expand' it.
2 Click on Technical Details in the Toolbox to see the installation path of the detected file. (Copy (CTRL+C) & paste (CTRL+V) the Installation Path of the file back to the Forum if U are unsure what to do next)).

08:48 09/01/2010

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jan, 2010 15:01
hi Fred

My best wishes to you also.

Michael

--
Michael
Toshiba Satelite A660
Intel i7
Windows 7 Ultimate
IE9

Toshiba Equium Laptop
Intel Centrino Duo
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Jan, 2010 06:47
Last edited on 14th Jan, 2010 06:56
Well Hello again fellows! Maurice, Michael and Fred!! I suppose you all will get a notification of my new reply to this thread. I am back at it and feeling much better. First, a question to Fred: Your computer, it's an Atari? Is it old? All I know about Ataris is that it was around years ago as a game system! Note: I am not MAKING FUN, I am really curious!
I was busy tonight with PSI and my computer! I finally got everything patched OR SO I THOUGHT....then I changed to Advanced mode...all of a sudden, there are other things to do to make things better secure! Oh well...I have uninstalled Adobe Reader (all of them that I had) and I am planning to install Foxit because I donot have a lot of use for the Adobe one and it really does take up alot more space for nothing! What's Adobe SVG Viewer? I was able to patch it but what is it for and do I really need it?

REgarding Adobe Flash Player...I am going to uninstall the version 10 I have now and go to Maurice's suggested link since I am using IE and install it from there. Do I unistall the one on the computer FIRST or can I just do it after I install the one from that link you suggested, Maurice? All of you guys seem to really be on top of all this, and I am getting there, I suppose.

Another query: What about these Sun Javas? They don't unistall the old versions automatically either when you patch, right? Is it safe for me to unistall Sun Java JRE 1.4 x since I also have 1.6.x/6.x? Then Secunia said I need to uninstall REal Player 10 because I already patched with 12.0.0.343 a few days ago--guess they don't remove the old one either for ya!

I could go on and on right now but I won't bore you all! I will let you know if I encounter any more glitches. I'm going to try to do this on my own (with all of everyone's suggestions and inputs)! One more thing: when I uninstalled Adobe Acrobat Reader 5,it let me know that there were 6-7 files that weren't unistalled and will have to be done manually. Can someone tell me exactly how to go about locating and deleting them (one of them is one of these ocx files you mentioned, Maurice.)???

Goodnite all (for me anyways) and Fred. How many hours difference is it from US to UK? I'm not sure. And, thanks again; I've really enjoyed these communications. Anyone use Facebook? (smile)

Sorry, I just re-read your longer post, Maurice, and you DO tell me to uninstall Flash first then install the one at that link you gave me. Sorry for being a bit repetitive. It's just that I figure you may need Flash for something before you install the new one...it just confuses me. Would it really matter if I installed first then uninstalled second, follow me?

--
Susan C. aka Suzy67

HP Pavilion 751n Desktop

Acer One Aspire

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Jan, 2010 07:01
Sorry again! I forgot to add that my original problem regarding iTunes is over and resolved! I merely uninstalled what iTunes version was on my computer (this was my now 26 yr old son's before it became my computer), because, for now anyways, I donot have alot of use for itunes. When I do, I will just go to Apple's site and get it! That's also what I did alot of tonight: uninstalled apps that my son used back in mid 2000's for his music--he was (and still is, part time) a DJ! So there's alot of "stuff" on the hard drive taht I have no use for or have no idea what to do with! Good nite again....

--
Susan C. aka Suzy67

HP Pavilion 751n Desktop

Acer One Aspire

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 14th Jan, 2010 10:03
Last edited on 14th Jan, 2010 10:05
Susan,
To sort out Flash Adobe Reader follow the scripts as written.

Once done rerun PSI - if there are any vulnerabilities what are the paths?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Jan, 2010 16:09
hi Susan

Pleased to hear you are feeling better, teenage and early 20's sons' I'm pleased I don't have any hehe.

Looks like you are getting everything sorted, Maurice is much beeter than me at all this, I'm just pleased I don't seem to have the same problems with most of these programs that others seem to have when visiting various forums including this one.

The only thing I would add with all this I guess one reason why I get fewer problems is I have always been in the habit of checking for updates to all my programs regularly manually rather than just relying on automatic updates and programs like psi. My security programs I check each day when logging onto the internet and other programs usually several times a month at least. It usually takes less than 10 minutes to do all this and you don't notice the time once you get into the habit.

Programs such as psi and Update Checker from filehippo (only covers some of my programs) I use as a back stop to try and make sure I don't miss anything. I think the 10 minutes is well spent and saves hours of worry and frustration. I think it is also fun looking and sorting these things out.

I also think it's quite fun watching the "experts" in other forums (it doesn't seem to happen in this one) claiming how much they know advising me that I'm not doing things right when I've never had a virus or any other malware infect my computers in over 10 years of constant use of the internet when they seem to have nothing but trouble hehe. Now frantically trying to find somebody's head to "touch wood".

Once you have sorted out the computer you have now I guess you will have much less "rubbish" on it than the average teenager who tend to download and uninstall everything they find online especially games it will take you a small amount of time to keep it running smoothly.

I will be happy to help if there is anything I can add to the assistance given here, Maurice is knowledgeable, more so than I, so you can follow what he says without question and I have always found Fred to be very helpful in the forum.

Michael

--
Michael
Toshiba Satelite A660
Intel i7
Windows 7 Ultimate
IE9

Toshiba Equium Laptop
Intel Centrino Duo
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 18th Jan, 2010 04:46
Hi Susan;

Sorry about not posting sooner, other "work" going on this weekend.

The Atari 800XL was my first real computer that would do stuff. I had my intro to programming in BASIC and DOS operating systems on that old thing about 1983 I think. And yes, it played Atari cartridge games! Check out the link to the Atari Museum below.

The reason I've added that at the end of my posts (until the novelty wears off) is because of another thread. The helper requested the person being helped add system info to his signature. Being unable to control myself, as is often the case, my reaction was to list the old girl as a bit of whimsy. It has been noted that my sense of humor is a touch odd.

In regard to Java updates, I've had good luck opening the Java in Control Panel and updating from there. However I would follow Maurice. He's been working with you longer and is fully aware of your situation.

I think we figured out a five hour lag for CST, if Pittsburgh is EST it would be four.

I'm very glad your getting along so well. Will be watching to see how it all works out.

Fred

p.s. Hi Michael & Maurice

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Jan, 2010 10:04
Hey Michael, Maurice and Fred:

Sorry it took me so long but I am finally finished with all the aforementioned roadblocks and problems! Hooray!! I got a 100% score now. And I used the advanced mode and all. I got rid of many outdated programs and I patched up all possible security problems. It still concludes that my browser (IE8) poses a potential risk. Is it best to switch over to another browser? If so, which one? I've read that Firefox is inherently safer; true? Do I merely install the new browser and begin using it? Do I have to uninstall IE8 or can I use them interchangeably? What about my e-mail-it's already set in IE8 in my desktop shortcut?

I unistalled Reader and installed FoxIt and I have used it a few times already. I am quite satisfied, thus far. I also installed Revo Uninstaller and have made much use of it. Thanks, Michael, for this tip!
My Flash program appears to be properly secure and patched; I even went to that macromedia.com site and checked out all my personal settings. Thank-you, Maurice. I would have never known about that if it wasn't for you! I am proud of myself that I was able to complete everything and get a 100% without having to come back to the Forum with paths!! I owe it to all of you, with your great advice and direction.

I now have a sense of accomplishment which is probably minor to you guys. I really enjoy doing these things on my computer and looking into the technical aspects, alot more than just visiting Facebook!!! :) I even joined a couple other forums and 2 Yahoo groups that have to do with computers and the internet!

I tend to get long-winded, and for that I apologize, fellows! It has been a real pleasure "conversing" with the 3 of you. Maybe one (or all) of you can tell me how I can get my score to show on the sidebar...

Recently, I installed a program called Device Doctor (free), as per Kim Komando;you guys ever heard of her? She has a weekly radio show, a web-site, and writes articles for newspapers, all about technology. I have learned much from being a subscriber to her daily newsletters,etc. Anyways, this Device Doctor app finds device updates your computer may need and provides a link for the download, like PSI. I'm sure you all are familiar with it! So, now, I am working on patching my drivers! Have any of you used it or something similar, and what were the outcomes, if any?

Time to bring this to close. Just want to say again how grateful I am and how my world is a little brighter for having "met" the 3 of u guys! I really donot want to encounter more problems, but I sure do hope to do another "thread" with all of you very soon. If I don't post again soon, an early Happy Valentine's Day to everyone:)

--
Susan C. aka Suzy67

HP Pavilion 751n Desktop

Acer One Aspire

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 24th Jan, 2010 13:44
Last edited on 24th Jan, 2010 13:46
Susan,
All browsers are a security risk. The minor issue with IE is not really worth getting worried about.

Read this:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10417785-245.htm...

Such an article is just a view point but gives some indication of the problems. Each will champion their browser choice but the fact remains they are all vulnerable.

Balance that with usage here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_br... should give U some help in choosing.

My personal requirement is simple. Fast reliable access to the net which integrates seamlessly with all the professional programmes I have installed. To achieve that all that is required is ONE browser ( by one browser I mean IE which is embedded in Windows, but can be subdued, & another if U prefer a gecko based browser such as Firefox) - this reduces the vulnerability spread. With in depth protection for the chosen browser U can surf with confidence.

I use IE because I can surf direct from Microsoft Outlook & embed articles direct from the web into various Microsoft Office products seamlessly.

I am sure others will try to help U decide but the "price of fish" remains the same for all browsers.

1. Fully patch your OS.
2. Limit the number of browsers installed.
3. Limit add on items (Toolbars etc)
4. Protect your system with quality anti viral type products that will give U confidence to leave the browser open permanently.
5. Clear the JAVA cache & limit its storage quota - this will speed up the browser.

DRIVERS.
No one should try to stop U having fun with your PC but be a wee bit careful with updating drivers.
Many believe that "it if ain't broke don't fix it". I believe U should always update drivers & the BIOS if patches are available.

Sadly, some driver update programmes give false positives. I only install drivers from the programme vendor & do not use a 3rd party programme. If U want me to test your new "find" I need to know the name of the programme & I can install it on my "test bed" PC. U never know, U may have found a "goodun" that will be helpful to U.

Hope this helps.

12:37 24/01/2010

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Jan, 2010 22:09
hi Susan

It's great you have sorted out everything and are 100% with psi. To show your Secunia score, you can click on the Secunia Profile tab at the head of the thread, scroll down and you will find a box you can tick (check) to enable your score to be shown.

You'll find it much easier to remain at 100% as there will be only one or two programs at a time to sort out. I suggest if you have not already done so copying the sections of the thread you find useful and save them on your pc for future use, particularly Flash and Java as these will often come up and although Maurice posts them regularly it is a pain sometimes looking through all the threads to find what you want.

Programs that check your pc for new drivers are upto now a bit of a waste of time and effort as they quite often suggest the wrong driver. I have looked at a number of them and found that they are all similar in that respect. Windows will occasionally suggest new drivers when running the normal update I believe they get them from the vendors if you receive a suggested update you can always check with the vendor direct through their website.

I find Revo handy, however, if people are expert or confident they can do a better job than the program although for those not wanting to do the job manually it is useful. I use CCleaner after every time using the net and defrag fairly regularly and have had no trouble running Vista Ultimate on my laptop which is slightly under powered for it really, I enjoy Vista unlike many and will wait until I buy a new laptop to use Windows 7.

I also use IE, currently IE8, looked at others over the years but stay with IE, not found other browser that much better if at all often just another unused item stored on the computer, best got rid of if not used. Those people who say things about the speed of browsers - what is a second or part of one in a day let alone a lifetime!!!!!

You will no doubt have seen the usual advice about being careful with the websites you visit and unknown emails and obviously keeping everything upto date.

Hope you have many happy years on your renewed pc, do come back here if you have any further worries.

Regards.

Michael

--
Michael
Toshiba Satelite A660
Intel i7
Windows 7 Ultimate
IE9

Toshiba Equium Laptop
Intel Centrino Duo
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Cannot complete download from Apple's site to my computer
Expert Contributor 24th Jan, 2010 23:22
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hello Susan ,

I have come across Kim Komando and have only heard good things about her .

I am very much an "if it ain't" person when it comes to drivers (following my techie's advice) ; the only really free software I have found to date is Driver Max from Innovative Solutions (you do need to register your computer) , the rest offer a lot but end up asking you to pay for a download .

I use DriverMax to "back up" my drivers and it got me an important update the one time I have needed one .

Your find of Device Doctor looks interesting and I hope Maurice Joyce checks it out for you .

As always , be really , really sure you know what your doing and how to retreat if necessary :)

Thank you for the info.
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 25th Jan, 2010 01:57
Hi Susan;

How wonderful it is to hear of your success! Nothing is insignificant if it is of importance to you or those around you. Not only do you have a 100% but you have gained the confidence to learn about your computer & maintain it properly. Few people nowadays take the effort. They plod along, install an occasional "security" gizzmo, that may or may not do anything. Then end up buying a new computer every couple of years because the old one dosn't work anymore.

Ditto on Maurice's opinion of browsers. All have insecurities. Firefox seems a popular substitute. It depends on what you require of the browser. Kick the tires & go for a test drive. Personally I would go back to IE7 if I wasn't the lazy sort.

As Maurice said above, IE is part of Windows and can not be removed (as far as this discussion is concerned). I don't believe he mentioned that other browsers (like Firefox) can be removed by the "Add/Remove" in control panel. Also in Add/Remove, on the left, click on "Set Program Access and Defaults", click on "Custom", to select your default browser.

Usually I update drivers by going to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Device Manager. I understand the "If it ain't broke..." sentiment, however checking the updates for sound, video and optical device drivers (among others). Installing if available, can make your machine faster/more stable. Also, if you update drivers from Device Manager, Windows offers the opportunity to roll back to the old driver if the new one dosn't work right.

I installed a pay for it program called "Driver Detective" on my Acer. The little bugger had a driver nightmare going on when I bought it. It was one of the first off the line for the Aspire One's. This goes aganst my rule that states: "Don't buy, use or install the first of anything!" Oh well, that's what I get for ignoring my own rules. The program served it's purpose and worked well. I'll not renew my license as it hasn't found a new driver in the ten months since, didn't expect it to.

As far as updating BIOS, I would not suggest doing it alone the first time. Get someone who has done it before to walk you through it. Best if they are physically in the room. But hey, I did it myself (breaking more rules) and nothin' blew up! Sweated bullets on reboot.

Do your self a favor and do a back-up to removable drive/disk of any thing you can't afford to loose. I've also broken this rule and regretted it. Why do I have these rules if I break them all the time? I'm just a nonconformist at heart! :)

Thank you for noticing my limited input. Michael and Maurice did all the heavy lifting, I was merely along for the ride. Feel free to look in on other threads, you can learn alot from others woes. By all means, post us with your input or start a new thread if you have (gasp) another problem.

Fred

@Anthony, you wait (I looked) to post until the end of this thread just to tell us you know who Kim Komando is?! Living vicariously these days are we?

Also this posted above by Maurice Joyce
on 24th Jan, 2010 13:44, last edited on 24th Jan, 2010 13:44

"No one should try to stop U having fun with your PC but be a wee bit careful with updating drivers."

Maurice can say wee but I can't, is that it?

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Jan, 2010 08:57
Maurice, your input so far has always helped! :D

The name of the Program is Device Doctor; the link is www.devicedoctor.com

I would really appreciate it if you would test it and tell me your conclusions. Kim Komando recommended it so I had the utmost faith in it, but after reading your input, I'm not so sure. I got the sense that messing with device drivers is no WEE thing, so I really haven't done anything yet, except searched for missing updates, and it came with 35!!! See what you think,if you find some free time - thank u!

I will probably just stay with IE8. You have reassured me that as long as I am careful and conscientious when surfing, I should be okay. IE is the only browser I've ever used. One day when I am bored, I might give Google Chrome or Firefox a shot!

Look foreward to hearing from you soon.

--
Susan C. aka Suzy67

HP Pavilion 751n Desktop

Acer One Aspire

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Jan, 2010 09:05
Dear Fred:

I feel so bad for omitting your name. Your posts to me were not only helpful, but very amusing. I like your style! And, I very much enjoy reading your posts!

So, I am formally thanking you and giving you credit for helping me to solve my former dilemmas! LOL :)

Any new ideas why I can't see the "check if you want others to see your secunia score" checkbox?? It's just a small thing, but I was reading other threads earlier tonight, and apparently, I am not the only one who doesn't have that choice in my profile settings. Oh well, I am going to e-mail Secunia support most likely. Not right now. It happens to be 3am here in Pittsburgh and I am getting weary! Maybe one of them will see all the posts about it and add their input right in this thread!

Take care, dillpickel. And 'night.

--
Susan C. aka Suzy67

HP Pavilion 751n Desktop

Acer One Aspire

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Jan, 2010 09:07
also...Can soembody tell me how to make my links turn blue?!! Do I need the http?
Thanks.

--
Susan C. aka Suzy67

HP Pavilion 751n Desktop

Acer One Aspire

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 28th Jan, 2010 23:06
Last edited on 28th Jan, 2010 23:06
Susan,
Results of my little test are here:

I have tested Device Doctor (portable Version) & Driver Max.

Prior to the test I confirmed my 87 drivers were intact on my test system. I then rolled back 4 up to date drivers to a previous release.

The findings were:

Device Doctor Driver Max

Number of drivers found against the number actually installed.

79 (-8) 81(-6)

Confirmed false positives by matching the result against the vendor sites.

6 8

Accuracy matched against the 4 drivers I rolled back to an older release.

2 found (-2) 2 found 9 (-2)

Having checked them against my stats for other updater type programmes I have previously tested these results more or less compare. They are very favourable against Driver Detective which U pay for.

22:00 28/01/2010

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 29th Jan, 2010 02:04
Hi Susan;

As I said before, the other guys did the hard work. Thanks for the complement. I am a wee :) bit over the top on occasion, but humor does take the edge off all this serious stuff.

The "Secunia score" thing is a puzzle. An e-mail to support wouldn't be out of line. Haven't heard anything on the forum yet. Although displaying your score is not a critical issue, if you've got it, flaunt it.

As far as the links in your posts turning blue, leave them outside Friday night, that should do the trick. Right click on the address bar, click on copy, paste into your post. Yes, the "http://" is to be included. Be sure to leave a space both before and after the link. I believe that's all, perhaps someone else knows something I don't?

As far as Driver Detective, Maurice has got it right by checking things out. I was frustrated with my little Acer and simply downloaded the first driver update utility that poped up on a Google serach. An ill temper & long hours does not make for rational judgment. It served its purpose, as I said. Saved me manually updating 20+ drivers.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability