Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Wrong error message: MSXML 6.0 core services on Windows 7 x64

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
OSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
andy_franzen Wrong error message: MSXML 6.0 core services on Windows 7 x64
Member 5th Jan, 2010 06:57
Ranking: 0
User Since: 5th Jan, 2010
System Score: N/A
When running Secunia PSI on Windows 7 x64 I get two security warnings:

Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.x (64-bit) version 6.20.1076.0
Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.x (32-bit) version 6.20.1076.0

both considered as unsecure.

This is untrue. MSXML 6.0 Service Pack 2 is already included in Windows 7. Second, MSXML is proteced in Windows 7, so there are no security updates to apply.

Can you please correct this ?

Thanks,

Andy

mogs RE: Wrong error message: MSXML 6.0 core services on Windows 7 x64
Expert Contributor 5th Jan, 2010 08:15
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Morning. Welcome.
Maurice Joyce will probably be on the forum sometime during the day. He's got Windows 7, and will, no doubt be able to answer your enquiry fully.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Wrong error message: MSXML 6.0 core services on Windows 7 x64
Handling Contributor 5th Jan, 2010 09:56
Score: 11304
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 5th Jan, 2010 10:32
Andy,
I think Secunia are correct. Windows 7 64 bit should have SP3 installed & the file version is:

6.30.7600.16385 dated 14/7/2009.

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msxml6.dll

C:\Windows\System32\msxml6.dll

Not exactly sure what U mean by the files are protected.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
andy_franzen RE: Wrong error message: MSXML 6.0 core services on Windows 7 x64
Member 5th Jan, 2010 12:25
Score: 0
User Since: 5th Jan 2010
Sorry, you are going wrong here.

True, the version of MSXML 6.0 which is delivered within
Windows 7 is 6.30.7600.16385 dated 14/7/2009.

BUT:
THIS HAS NEVER BEEN A SERVICE PACK 3!
IT IS THE VERSION INSTALLED WITHIN WINDOWS 7 !
THERE IS NO SERVICE PACK 3 FOR MSXML 6.0 AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD !

So, the link of Secunia to a MSXML 6.0 service pack is wrong.
Instead, the original MSXML 6.0 files from the Windows 7 installation
CD have to be restored.

The reason why this error comes up is also not explained. It must be
because another installation has overwritten the MSXML 6.0 files already included in Windows 7 with an older version.

Sorry, Secunia should have known this...

Regards,

Andy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Wrong error message: MSXML 6.0 core services on Windows 7 x64
Member 5th Jan, 2010 15:04
There is no Service Pack for Windows 7 yet:
http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/archives/18992...

There have been updates avaialable though.

I see:
Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.x
This installation of Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.x was detected as being patched.

The Secunia PSI has not detected any missing security related patches for this program. No further actions are currently needed.
Installation Path
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msxml6.dll Extra Information / Known Issues with Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.x
Under normal circumstances it is possible to update this application using Microsoft Windows Update:
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/

You need to go to Insecure in PSI then Insecure Programs then remove the infected files.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
hal118 RE: Wrong error message: MSXML 6.0 core services on Windows 7 x64
Member 5th Jan, 2010 16:15
I try to download java. I don't succeed and the following box appears: "uncompression of downloaded file failed".

What can I do please? Can you help me?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
hal118 RE: Wrong error message: MSXML 6.0 core services on Windows 7 x64
Member 5th Jan, 2010 16:16
on 5th Jan, 2010 06:57, andy_franzen wrote:
When running Secunia PSI on Windows 7 x64 I get two security warnings:

Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.x (64-bit) version 6.20.1076.0
Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.x (32-bit) version 6.20.1076.0

both considered as unsecure.

This is untrue. MSXML 6.0 Service Pack 2 is already included in Windows 7. Second, MSXML is proteced in Windows 7, so there are no security updates to apply.

Can you please correct this ?

Thanks,

Andy

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 6th Jan, 2010 00:03
Andy,
I think we are getting crossed wires. I do not recall saying there is a download link for Msxml6 SP3 for Windows 7.
What I gave was the secure file details which Secunia will pick up as secure. They are indeed named SP3 as you can see from this Microsoft snippet.

Windows 7 DLL File Information - msxml6.dll

The following DLL report was generated by automatic DLL script that scanned and loaded all DLL files in the system32 directory of Windows 7, extracted the information from them, and then saved it into HTML reports. If you want to view a report of another DLL, go to the main page of this Web site.

General Information
File Description: MSXML 6.0 SP3
File Version: 6.30.7600.16385
Company: Microsoft Corporation
Product Name: Microsoft(R) MSXML 6.0 SP3
DLL popularity Very Low - There is no any other DLL in system32 directory that is statically linked to this file.
File Size: 1,290 KB
Total Number of Exported Functions: 5
Total Number of Exported Functions With Names: 5

You did not address the issue of msxml being protected. If they are,as you claim, then it is difficult to see how they could have been overwritten. By protected, I believe you mean they,like .NET, are no longer shown in add/remove because they are now "embedded" in the Windows 7 system.

On that basis, Microsoft have taken direct responsibility for auto updating these assets therefore @YoKenny is correct in advising a run of update to see if Microsoft do detect you have the wrong version.

What Secunia does is explained here:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

In a nutshell it is a vulnerability checker & reporter. Additionally, for free home users it gives advice on possible cures. It does not report on system errors are what may have created that error therefore your assumption that "Secunia should know this" is not really relevent.

22:45 05/01/2010

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jan, 2010 01:31
Hi,

ok, I´ve corrected the problem by the following steps:

- Starting Windows 7 from the 64-bit installation CD and using the prompt
- Copying msxml6.dll and msxml6r.dll from to C:\windows\syswow64
- Repeating the steps above with the same XML files from the 32-bit
installation CD to C:\windows\system32.

After this and a reboot the error message in PSI does not appear anymore. So, the issue is fixed.

My final statement about this issue:

- PSI is correct by detecting an old version of XML 6.0 on a Windows 7
installation
- These files are really named as MSXML SP3
- Microsoft does still not offer a patch for MSXML SP3, especially not for Windows 7, so the link of PSI to a patch is incorrect
- patching to MSXML SP3 is only possible by coping the files from the original installation CDs and it has to be in secured windows mode, otherwise it is not possible to access and overwrite the files as they are in use as soon as Windows is started in the normal mode.

Hope the Microsoft will offer a MSXML SP3 patch with a normal installing routine soon and Secunia will provide a correct patching information as well.

Regards,

Andy

Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: Wrong error message: MSXML 6.0 core services on Windows 7 x64
Member 6th Jan, 2010 05:18
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Last edited on 6th Jan, 2010 05:39
standbyhttp://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/114...
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/147...
The above two forums address this problem in some detail: the final solution is that if you are running Vista it is not needed at all as it is an outdated exe/ dll from Xp.
Here is the meat::
O.k. period (BINGO) that's it. Problem solved. msxml6.0 is for XP(PERIOD) and is re-numbered in Vista under msxml4.0 SP2 (KB954430)for Vista Obtained by reading down to what others are downloading. Therefore,why I am not having any problem by having deleting it. Dell Direct replaced it via automatic updating with msxml4.0 SP2 (KB954430) I cross referenced it with forum msxml6.0

It is my belief that you are dealing with a third party install that needs to be updated. I cannot understand why Microsoft would still keep it as part of exe/dll ocx files.in Windows 7. Secondly it was never installed in Vista 64 bit.

WE REALLY NEED TABS SO WE CAN TELL WHAT OS WE ARE DEALING WITH/XP/VISTA/AND NOW 7

This is how to locate the file ::

To locate the exact file that the Secunia PSI has detected, please follow there guidelines using the
advanced interface:
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
* Click on the entry of the programme to “expand” it.
* Click on Technical details to see the installation path of the detected file.
* Remember the installation path and close down the menu.
* Click Open Folder and locate the detected file.

Have U changed the folder option to show all hidden files?

Have U tried Windows search asking it to search hidden files?

--
Windows Home Basic-Service Pack 2
Dell AMD Athlon 64x2 Processor 4000+ 2.10Ghz 2Memory 32 Bit

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Jan, 2010 21:36
Hi puget 1,

I´m clearly talking about Windows 7 x64.
No matter what- you won´t find any MSXML 6 SP3
except than in Windows 7 already installed.

That´s the story.

cheers

Andy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jan, 2010 04:08
Interesting---Happy New year to all my Secunia friends and advisors

--

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Wrong error message: MSXML 6.0 core services on Windows 7 x64
Contributor 8th Jan, 2010 04:54
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
And that, friends, is why I still run XP on both of my machines. No offense meant, but I think I'll wait awhile until the bugs are worked out of 7.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 8th Jan, 2010 12:17

Andy's original post asked questions that are unique to Windows 7 64 bit hence he rightly stated the issue was closed once he had given clear guidance on how to resolve it.

For Windows 7 users.

I believe Andy has found a minor Microsoft bug.

1. MSXML & .Net are embedded. They do not appear in add/remove &, in that respect, are protected from users removing them except by tweaking the registry. (MSXML 4 may well appear - this is old & has been installed to support legacy issues - as far as I am aware it is not part of the Windows 7 install)
2. Like all other OS's they are not protected from 3rd party vendors altering the files to meet their requirements which I believe was Andy's issue. (Microsoft may well argue that UAC should prevent this but users are not always told by programme vendors that part of an install will include installing "other bits")
3. The bug appears to be that a scan by Microsoft update did not pick up that Andy was using the wrong file version. This was spotted by Secunia which really shows what a valuable asset it is.
4. The files in question will not work with XP or VISTA & I can only assume that Microsoft have withheld publishing MSXML 6 SP3 for general download to protect those using these systems.
5. Andy has given the work around - copy & paste them from the original Windows 7 install disk.

Fred,

When to upgrade to Windows 7 is of course a personal choice but I would not be put off by this thread.
My decision was governed by a requirement for speed & multitasking.

XP 32 bit at best can be fitted with 4GB of RAM but can only use 3.75.
Windows 7 64 bit offers,in my case,a new and exiting OS with the ability to use 16GB of RAM which I intend to fully exploit once I get over the shock of buying a new PC with 8GB's!

Clear the snow,out with the wallet & treat yourself to Windows 7!

There is more excitement on the horizon for U. Adobe are about to release a Beta version of an uninstaller for their programmes (next Tuesday I think) - now that should put U off ever using a PC let alone Windows 7!!!

11:12 08/01/2010

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Jan, 2010 16:18
Thank-you Maurice,that explanation certainly clears up what I was wondering about. So,by that explanation it would be an unknown about whether MSXML 6.0 is actually installed or not correct? Question if I were to update either my lap or desk with Windows 7 which is wiser? Thanks

--

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 8th Jan, 2010 22:13
@puget1,
Happy New Year.
In general terms U are correct. Windows 7 has MSXML & .NET embedded & the general user would not necessarily know it is there.

In my view this is good thinking & should prevent the hassles experienced by XP & Vista.

If your thinking of upgrading I would first run this tool:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/win...

That will best help U to decide. I prefer Desktops to laptops. Clearly U will get a better experience with the PC that currently has the most "power" to exploit all it has to offer.

I still like XP but it has its limits - I have worked on Vista machines & hate it - far too restrictive. Windows 7 is a dream for power users.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 01:40
Thanks Maurice;

I know that you may (or may not?) be tired of hearing that your insight & opinion is appreciated. I, for one, always value your input.

That said, I hope everyone knows my input (as in above post) is usually intended to express my jaded viewpoint, not start arguments. MS has pulled off some good tricks in the past but also has had some big flops. I mostly take a wait and see approach to new software, especially an OS. The thing with the Webroot beta being an exception. This goes way back to Win3.1 and the subsequent Win3.11 that came out a couple of months later. Kind of like Vista and a couple of months later MS offers OEM downgrades to XP. It's a once burned, twice shy, reaction.

My devotion to XP stems from the fact that most of the software I use is somewhat dated and does not require alot and of course, familiarity. XP is like an old pair of sneekers, when do you throw it away? When your toes poke out? When the sole has a hole in it? I can see a day on the horizon when I'll have to give up being anal about my OS. Your endorsement of Win7 goes a long way to alleviate my fears. I suppose a dual boot may be in order to get a grasp of the new guy. Sooner or later someone I know will want me to "help" them fix their machine. Not much sense appearing stupid for no reason, eh?

As far a my wallet goes, snow is not the problem. It is expected to reach -15 deg. F tonight (Fri), the darn thing might snap in two if I try to open it now!!!

Also Adobe can keep their uninstaller. I have too much fun doing it manually! (ha)

Best to all;
Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Wrong error message: MSXML 6.0 core services on Windows 7 x64
Member 9th Jan, 2010 03:17
Last edited on 9th Jan, 2010 03:23 Fred, I have images of Barny Rubble when I use my old XP Pro system now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hByFDVwiQq8

XP is like Fred Flintstone's car vs a car like a Ferrari/Lamborghini to me now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeBd_F2Bz5Y

Its a balmy -12C (10.4°F) here but I would not go out dressed like Fred Fintstone and thankfully not as much snow as the UK.

I saved up my hard earned pension money for a while and purchased a system capable of running Vista back in March 2009 then watched as Windows 7 became available for download as a Release Candidate and read the glowing review so I installed it.

When Windows 7 became available in October 2009 I was at the store that I purchased the system from and have not regretted it one bit.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 05:35
Last edited on 9th Jan, 2010 05:37
Hi YoKenny;

I did the MS will Win7 work on your machine download thing. Both said they would work, Acer needed a USB driver and both would benifit from added memory. I'm just chicken. I resist change. If it was good enough for Granpa and such as that.

Close the door, your letting all that cold Canadian air blow down here. :)

Fred

p.s. Almost forgot, your opinion is valued also.

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jan, 2010 15:14
Remember:
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.

I always thought all the cold air came from Alaska.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Factsheets
Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability