Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI does not allow standby or hibernation

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
wmassey PSI does not allow standby or hibernation
Member 9th Jan, 2010 02:19
Ranking: 0
User Since: 8th Jan, 2010
System Score: N/A
Whenever PSI is idling along (as just a system try icon) my system will not enter a standby or hibernation mode on its own. It will standby or hibernate if I explicitly tell it to do so but it will not do so based on the power-properties timer. I can kill the PSI process and then wait for the timeout of the timer and then the system will either standby or hibernate automatically. I can restart the PSI process and again wait on the timer and again it refuses to enter either state.

Given the present day concerns about unnecessarily wasting energy, this is an unfriendly and very "not green" behavior for this program to have.

thedillpickl RE: PSI does not allow standby or hibernation
Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 03:18
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi wmassey;

This is a new problem as far as I know. I shall have to test on my machines, as I simply shut down when done. It would be very helpful to all if you would post back with more details. A non exclusive list would be your: Operating system; machine brand & model #; PSI version #.

If anyone else has had/heard of this problem they should respond shortly. If not you might contact Secunia directly by clicking on "Contact" at the bottom of this page, then click on "support@secunia.com" under E-mail Addresses: . They are generally very responsive, given PSI is a free program without paid for support.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: PSI does not allow standby or hibernation
Member 9th Jan, 2010 03:43
Last edited on 9th Jan, 2010 03:52 It would be good if you go to Secunia Profile then:
Signature
Then fill in this field with a signature that you want appended to every thread or post you create.

I do not like automatic standby nor hibernation mode on its own.

If I am here I am using the system and they cause problems for me when the system is resumed after them as the Internet connection does not work.

It is easy to go to Start then Shutdown when I want to do it.

January 12th is Microsoft Patch Tuesday so make sure your system is up to date.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 04:13
Hi YoKenny;

It's hard for me to remember also, not everyone will use their machine the same as you or I. Some business users have seldom used, but necessary, computers set to standby. Reason being, when it is needed nobody in the office actually knows how to start the thing (crazy but I've seen it). Also, it seems an Ethernet (wired) connect stays up, usually.

BTW, -15 deg. F in central Missouri tonight. Dare I ask how cold it is in Ontario?

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jan, 2010 05:43
Last edited on 9th Jan, 2010 05:46 Its -10.3C heading for -13C.
http://weather.weatherbug.com/Canada/Toronto-weath...

I have seen wired connections not work when come out of sleep or hibernation so I guess it depends on the hardware.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wmassey RE: PSI does not allow standby or hibernation
Member 9th Jan, 2010 14:04
Score: 0
User Since: 8th Jan 2010
System Score: N/A
Fred says: "It would be very helpful to all if you would post back with more details. A non exclusive list would be your: Operating system; machine brand & model #; PSI version #."

PSI version v1.5.0.1
Windows XP Pro (32 bit)
Intel Q9550, Abit IP35 Pro, 4Gb DDR2, ATI/Sapphire 5750 video

As for YoKenny, with one exception I have yet to have a machine (and I've had contact with several 10s of them) which did not take off and run properly after resumption from either standby or hibernation. That one exception was a Toshiba laptop and sometimes it would not reconnect to its wireless network connection and I fixed that by dumping the Toshiba-supplied utility for managing the wireless network connection and instead using Microsoft's. Of course, some of the lower-end motherboards do not properly implement the ACPI specification and the S3 and S4 sleep states, but I check for and avoid that stuff.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 21:23
Hi wmassey;

Thanks for posting info. I'm deep in doo doo trying to help a lady on another thread so will not be able to test on my computers today. May some other good hearted soul with knowledge of this problem find this thread.

Also don't forget to ask Secunia Support about it.

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jan, 2010 12:34
Last edited on 10th Jan, 2010 12:44
on 9th Jan, 2010 14:04, wmassey wrote:
Fred says: "It would be very helpful to all if you would As for YoKenny, with one exception I have yet to have a machine (and I've had contact with several 10s of them) which did not take off and run properly after resumption from either standby or hibernation. That one exception was a Toshiba laptop and sometimes it would not reconnect to its wireless network connection and I fixed that by dumping the Toshiba-supplied utility for managing the wireless network connection and instead using Microsoft's. Of course, some of the lower-end motherboards do not properly implement the ACPI specification and the S3 and S4 sleep states, but I check for and avoid that stuff.

There are many hits on Google for standby problems.

These are some of Results 1 - 10 of about 7,160,000 for standby problem
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907477
http://www.rickrogers.org/standby.htm
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_standby.htm

It would be good if you go to Secunia Profile as you have not enabled your Secunia System Score in My settingsthen go to:
Signature
Then fill in this field with a signature that you want appended to every thread or post you create to add system specifications.

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer