Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Adobe SVG Viewer 3.0

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Nikilet Adobe SVG Viewer 3.0
Member 11th Jan, 2010 03:27
Ranking: 7
User Since: 15th Jul, 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 11th Jan, 2010 04:02

I clicked Download Solution and ran it. Then I had psi re-scan and it said no change had been made. It's still end-of-life. It appears Adobe is no longer going to support this. Is this something I have to have?

P.S. I did some googling and one gal said she removed this and Windows wouldn't start after she did.

This user no longer exists RE: Adobe SVG Viewer 3.0
Member 11th Jan, 2010 09:47
Last edited on 11th Jan, 2010 09:55
on 11th Jan, 2010 03:27, Nikilet wrote:
I clicked Download Solution and ran it. Then I had psi re-scan and it said no change had been made. It's still end-of-life. It appears Adobe is no longer going to support this. Is this something I have to have?

P.S. I did some googling and one gal said she removed this and Windows wouldn't start after she did.

Hi,
An End-Of-Life program has no solution. The vendor has stopped supporting it.

The Adobe SVG viewer is not a critical windows component, and you should be able to safely remove it, though completely at your own risk. If there are any issues with removing Adobe SVG, I suggest you contact Adobe support.
Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Nikilet RE: Adobe SVG Viewer 3.0
Member 11th Jan, 2010 17:21
Score: 7
User Since: 15th Jul 2008
There was another post in some forum here where the gal said when she removed it her Windows would not start. I can't understand why this Adobe product would have anything to do with Windows starting. That's the thing I'm most afraid of.

Also, in googling many items seemed to indicate that possibly IE would not work without it. Do you know anything about this?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Adobe SVG Viewer 3.0
Member 12th Jan, 2010 13:58
Hi,
Sorry to say, there is little we can do to help you with issues that don't relate to any of our products. We cannot guarantee anything with regards to successfully removing third-party software. We merely point out which software needs patching.
Best of luck!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
hjacobson222 RE: Adobe SVG Viewer 3.0
Member 16th Jan, 2010 18:49
Score: 0
User Since: 30th Mar 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 16th Jan, 2010 19:20
SVG Viewer is an add-on for Internet Explorer (IE) from Adobe Systems http://www.adobe.com/svg/ . It's not part of Microsoft's Windows distributions. If it is present it had to be installed separately from Windows. Adobe discontinued support January 1, 2009. The browser FireFox has built-in support for .svg files. Firefox is a secure browser.

Try removing SVG viewer; normally there's nothing to worry about; the plug-in may be re-installed. If you do need to view .svg files and you're concerned with the security risk of SVGviewer use FireFox.

(Scalable Vector Graphics) SVGviewer was designed to allow web browsers to view .svg files originally associated with early GIS (Geographic Information System) applications.

SVGviewer is not used much these days; as such it's not an attractive target for virus hackers who want the biggest bang for their efforts. The only place I needed to use it was with IE to view traffic graphs in the DD-WRT console (a Linux based alternative OpenSource firmware for wireless routers). That is to say these days geeks use it more than anyone else.

If Windows or IE crashes when SVGviewer is removed there's a problem beyond the scope of this thread. The presence or absence of the final SVGviewer (v3.03) by itself does not cause crashes.

Harry Jacobson
Was this reply relevant?
+0
aasllcco RE: Adobe SVG Viewer 3.0
Member 18th Jan, 2010 04:00
User Since: 3rd Dec 2009
Realize that these are old threads, but recently had same problem with windows not running on reboot after removing svgviewer. Booted w/f8, windows directory restore and voila, up and running with no problems
Was this reply relevant?
+0
NR QUINN RE: Adobe SVG Viewer 3.0
Member 21st Jan, 2010 15:10
User Since: 11th Jan 2009
i have this same thing on the rescann. it showed i needed update to adobeSVG viewer 3.0 and i went to adobe.com and they said they would no longer support this svg viewer after 2006. this pc is 2001 and I have had this secunia psi on this pc since early last year. you cannnot deleat this svg viewer as it may cause problems
Was this reply relevant?
+0
thedillpickl RE: Adobe SVG Viewer 3.0
Contributor 22nd Jan, 2010 03:16
Score: 376
User Since: 3rd May 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello;

According to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Vector_Graph... ,

"As of 19 March 2009 (2009 -03-19)[update], Internet Explorer 8, the latest release of Windows Internet Explorer, is the only current major browser not to provide native SVG support. Internet Explorer requires a plug-in to render SVG content. There are a number of plug-ins available to assist including:

Adobe SVG Viewer from Adobe Systems plugin supports most of SVG 1.0/1.1. ... However, on 1 January 2009, Adobe Systems discontinued support for Adobe SVG Viewer.

Google Chrome Frame from Google can support all web elements supported by Webkit, including SVG 1.0 and partially SVG 1.1.

RENESIS Player 1.0 for Internet Explorer from examotion GmbH, first released on April 2008, supports SVG 1.1 on IE 6.x and 7.x and is available for download free of charge.

Ssrc SVG Plugin from Savarese Software Research Corporation is a plug-in for rendering SVG in Microsoft Internet Explorer (MSIE) versions 6, 7, and 8 on Windows XP, Server 2003, Vista, and Server 2008. In addition, the plug-in enables Internet Explorer to load Mozilla XUL applications.

Corel SVG Viewer

Batik, a widely deployed Java plugin

Bitflash, an SVG viewer intended for mobile devices, which can be installed as an IE plugin

Ikivo, an SVG viewer intended for mobile devices, which can be installed as an IE plugin

GPAC, targets SVGT 1.2"

RENESIS Player 1.0 sounds like a good deal if you go back to IE7.

good luck to all;

Fred

--
XP Home
Chrome, Firefox, IE8
--
consilio et animis
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability