Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Firefox 3.5 not running OSI

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
OSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
abanerji Firefox 3.5 not running OSI
Member 11th Jan, 2010 10:46
Ranking: 0
User Since: 11th Jan, 2010
System Score: N/A
I have a Compaq laptop. Key software components are:-

XP pro SP2 (fully patched) with IE 6 (patched)
Firefox (just upgraded from 3.0.17 to 3.5.7)
AVG free (also just upgraded from 8.5 to 9.0.725, virus DB 270.14.133/2612)
ZA basic firewall free 7.0.483

Two months ago, I did a secunia online scan through firefox 3.0 and it went smooth. Now, when I try the same through firefox 3.5, the scan cannot be started. I give permission to secunia's java applet, but the web page doesn't load fully.

I try the same scan through IE, and the process goes smooth.

I have another assembled PC, with similar software components as my laptop mentioned above. However, in this PC, firefox is still 3.0.17, and AVG 8.5 (updated). When I try the secunia scan through firefox 3.0 there, it runs smooth.

Any clues as to what is happening please? Thanks,

Anthony Wells RE: Firefox 3.5 not running OSI
Expert Contributor 11th Jan, 2010 22:02
Score: 2454
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 11th Jan, 2010 22:16
@abanerji ,

I have just run an OSI with Ff version 3.5.7. correctly .

Have you checked that Java and Javascript are enabled in Firefox ))use the Firefox "Tools" tab (top left of Ff) select "options" in dropdown menu , select "content" tab (( ??

Is your Java up to date ??

Which of your browsers is selected by default ??

Have you thought of downloading and using Secunia's PSI ??

Why not upgrade to XP SP3 and IE 7 , both are free and offer security enhancements over SP2 and IE 6 . IE8 may or may not suite your system (it does not suite mine).

Anthony

PS: Zone Alarm's Free Firewall is now at version 9.1.007 .

Here is a link to Ian "Gizmo" Richards website and a review of the latest free firewalls :-

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-firewall...

This is an excellent source of unbiased info on loads of freeware .

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
abanerji RE: Firefox 3.5 not running OSI
Member 12th Jan, 2010 00:04
Score: 0
User Since: 11th Jan 2010
Thank you, especially for the firewall comparison link. However, happy to report that my problem is since solved. Here's the detail, sharing for benefit of others ( http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t... ). My final post in the firefox forum:-

"[i]Well, firefox was not at fault :D

Had posted in AVG forum too, and was suggested to temporarily disable AVG components ... had read elsewhere about their link scanner technology creating conflicts. Disabled link scanner, and all back to normal. Secunia ran merrily in firefox!

Lessons for me (sharing with others) :-

a) AVG 8.5 in my laptop had link scanner enabled ... no issue ever. But, link scanner in AVG 9 created problems.

b) Even firefox 3.5 was acting very slow, and was needing continuous refreshes ... no issue once link scanner shut down.

c) I generally don't make major simultaneous changes, e.g., both AV and browser upgrade one after another. I make one change ... try the new program a few days, then when all appears fine, upgrade the other app. This time, I was in a hurry and upgraded both firefox and AVG on same day ... in the process, have had to spend more time troubleshooting, posting in forums, etc. Moral of the story is obvious!

I have been using firefox since 2005 or 2006, and been very happy ... good to learn that 3.5 is perfect. Thanks to all ... keep up the good work[i]"

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Firefox 3.5 not running OSI
Expert Contributor 12th Jan, 2010 23:54
Score: 2454
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 13th Jan, 2010 00:00
You remind me that I used to have AVG Free AntiSpyware , which was a great trojan killer (based on ewido) , and Link Scanner when it was independent .

Adding these two to their A/V scanner produced a programme which had major clashes with my security suite . Their Ff plug-ins gave me a lot of difficulty wit version 3.0.x , so I abandonned the lot .

Using Gizmo's site , he recommended LinkExtend , not quite the same as LinkScanner , but uses 7 site adviors and has a superb search facilty with it's own engine :-

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/107...

The website has some extra info .

You can close the toolbar to save space and the site advisor rates your search items , you need the toolbar visible to check a particular site you may reach .

Having read your linked forum , if you want to switch from AVG , ten Gizmo's site has an up to date review of A/V and A/S FREE software .

IN the left side panel of the home page is a security wizard which helps refine your needs and wants .

Glad you resolved the problem
Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
abanerji RE: Firefox 3.5 not running OSI
Member 13th Jan, 2010 11:48
Score: 0
User Since: 11th Jan 2010
Thank you for the Gizmo's link. I have often come across such good links from forums.

I am bookmarking Gizmo's website, and will go through at a later time.

Regards,
abanerji

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+