xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Secunia PSI not finding Google Chrome version "4.0.249.64 (35722)...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Google
And, this specific program:
Google Chrome 3.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
smallbiz Secunia PSI not finding Google Chrome version "4.0.249.64 (35722) stable"
Member 12th Jan, 2010 20:53
Ranking: 16
User Since: 26th Sep, 2009
System Score: N/A
I upgraded to Chrome 4x about three weeks ago - no problems.
Now suddenly PSI is no longer "seeing" my Chrome browser, although it is detecting both the Firefox and IE browsers.

My system score is 100% and I made no changes on my hard drive yesterday (other than saving documents). The only unpatched or undeleted programs are the usual Adobe and MS offenders for which there are no fixes. My drives are meticulously scanned and protected by automatically updated standard security products, and I defragment every week.

OS is Vista Home Premium and is up to date.
Anybody else seeing something like this?
Thoughts???

P.

mogs RE: Secunia PSI not finding Google Chrome version "4.0.249.64 (35722) stable"
Expert Contributor 12th Jan, 2010 21:03
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
I'm not sure why this should have shown itself suddenly or recently. Secunia does not monitor beta versions. Personally, I don't find it a problem as Chrome updates are so easily achieved.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Secunia PSI not finding Google Chrome version "4.0.249.64 (35722) stable"
Expert Contributor 12th Jan, 2010 23:32
Score: 2434
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 12th Jan, 2010 23:33
If , when you moved to a "Beta" version 4x , you did not remove the previous "stable" version 3.x files , then PSI would continue to show Google Chrome 3.x in the "patched" tab and two versions of Google Gears ; version 3.x would also show in "secure browsing" .

The Beta has just auto updated to 4.0.249.64 and this will have left the previous/old Beta file and dumped the earlier 3.x files ; as PSI does not recognise Betas then the only reference to Chrome is via the two instances of Google Gears showing in the "patched" tab.

As PSI is no longer monitoring Chrome for you , it would make sense if you navigate to the Chrome folder , and remove/delete the previous Beta version folder ,

This will leave with just the one version of Google Gears in the patched tab with an intallation path to the "up to date" folder of the Beta that has just installed itself.

Chrome will not show in "secure browsing" unless you reinstall a "stable" channel release , what you have is a "Beta" channel stable release.

I know clear as mud , if you can find it under all the snow.

Take care
Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
smallbiz RE: Secunia PSI not finding Google Chrome version "4.0.249.64 (35722) stable"
Member 12th Jan, 2010 23:50
Score: 16
User Since: 26th Sep 2009
V. interesting, and the logic is compelling ... but now the next question is 'Why did it take PSI 2-3 weeks to notice that I was using an unapproved product?'
I'm never online without my new best friend Secunia! -- and I had done a full scan just 3 days ago.
Your thought?
Was this reply relevant?
+10
Anthony Wells RE: Secunia PSI not finding Google Chrome version "4.0.249.64 (35722) stable"
Expert Contributor 13th Jan, 2010 00:11
Score: 2434
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

You still had your stable channel 3.x version files loaded in the Chrome folder , you can only run one version from one channel , but updating frequently/almost always leaves the previous version behind . PSI continues to see the 3.x version even though you were actually using your Beta 4.x ; and while the 3.x version is "secure" it continues to show in the patched tab (PSI is a vulnerability advisor not an update checker). Two entries would have been showing for Google Gears , etc.

Is that clearer ??

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Secunia PSI not finding Google Chrome version "4.0.249.64 (35722) stable"
Expert Contributor 13th Jan, 2010 08:41
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Thanks Anthony.....reminded me to remove the one version of Gears.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability